Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Furiously F5ing the Origin launch page to gimme the dang update!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Looks like the update is now live! 46 GB total and servers are getting slammed

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

Boxman posted:

It's been a long time since i've played a multiplayer multiplatform game; why is the patch size so different between platforms?

Also lol now they're just taunting everyone.

https://twitter.com/TitanfallBlog/status/1356656263623507970?s=20

The 46 GB number I quoted in my post I guess was it just checking/validating my shiz before the update proper through Origin. My actual update is 10 GB and (as others have mentioned) going slow AF

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope
Knowing there are a bunch of other goon clans out there already, with the (hopefully) recent influx of players joining/coming back for Season 8, I've made a new clan for chill people looking to group up outside of Discord.

Name: L337 Like Jeff K
Club tag: LLJK
Logo: looks as much like goatse as I could manage

It's request only but I'll be playing for most of the rest of the day so I'll approve ASAP.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope
The game director for Apex has posted a very interesting introspective and history in honor of the 2 year anniversary: https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/two-years-of-apex-legends

As a Week 1 player, I thought it was super cool to see what they were playing with before a single legend had even taken shape. Players in a drop ship running to fill a 3-man pod to make a team is a cool as hell idea but I can see why it was scrapped. It also says what the first 3 legends they ever created were: Gibby, Wraith, and Bloodhound . Seeing the evolution of King's Canyon was extremely interesting as well when they show a then-and-now overlay. He glosses over the fact that 'Survival' was not necessary a new idea they came up with...they even had a Chicken Dinner board up in the office as a clear reference to PUBG...but clearly they wanted to innovate outside what was already in place and knew they had something unique with the legends. Beyond that, the ping system is obviously one of the most revolutionary innovations and was developed when they forced the devs to play without headsets. Respawn ships also fall into the revolutionary category and clearly many BR's are a step behind Apex's innovations. Despite the EA stank, it's obvious that Apex is a labor of love for Respawn and I think it really shows.

TracerBullet fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 3, 2021

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

repiv posted:

The funniest bit of Apex history is that someone leaked it on 4chan nearly a year before launch, but the thread just immediately died and nobody saw it

https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/410050215/

I remember the snapshot of the King's Canyon map getting leaked early but never have seen this whole thread - pretty cool IMHO

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope
Digging the new game mode, though as many have mentioned the weird oppressive sounds and other bugs are a bit of a bummer. Have managed to pull off some nice saves with the heat shield and I hope it gets added as a mechanic in Apex proper...along with the flares since they do a nice job of mixing everything up but I'm guessing that's more contentious. Finally spent my sweet sweet heirloom shards on Octane as I've gradually become an Octmain - he's just too drat fun and slippery and nothing beats flanking a whole squad with a good bounce.

Gotta go fast

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

Max Coveri posted:

Got my first win :toot:

You'll never forget it

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

dogstile posted:

Untrue, I can't remember my first win at all :v:

Yeah...actually, I don't remember my first Apex win either. Probably because SO MANY OTHER WINS HAVE WASHED OVER ME IN MY TWO YEARS OF ELITE PLAY I'm trash.

I do still remember my first ever BR win in the kid's game not to be named - probably because I'd been playing PUBG for a while and never managed to get that chicken dinner so that very first win was quite cathartic. Compared to wins, unsurprisingly, I remember all those times where I biffed something simple or did something stupid to cost my team the win.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

runchild posted:

5000 does seem pretty unlikely to hit organically. I used the new no-fill option to do some experimentation with it yesterday and I found that standing under a single heat shield for itís full duration will prevent:
45 damage in Ring 1
66 damage in Ring 2
200 damage in Ring 3
I didnít get clean numbers past that but based on ring damage numbers and reduced shield times Iíd estimate about 275 for Ring 4 and maybe...350 for Ring 5?

If you really wanna grind it you can clear the bar in about 6 games, by collecting a bunch of mats in the first ring or two and then camping out at a crafting station outside the ring. Iíve heard rumors of folks doing something similar to try to win, but that sounds lovely. Also if you wait until the event is almost over you should have less to grind by that point.

Do the heat shields actually take a backpack spot if you pick up beyond the 'standard' two? If not, the max you can carry at one time then would be 2? So, to make this work, you'd need to (ideally) have a final circle near-ish to the edge of the map, hit as many replicator areas as possible to build up as much crafting material as you can, sit next to a replicator near the final circle to give yourself as much time as possible, and craft heat shields until you run out or win the match? Sounds fun to me! I'll give it a try solo in duos and report back unless everyone feels this is really lovely and then I won't.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

runchild posted:

You can only hold the two in your survival slot. So yeah, you gather a bunch of mats and camp on a replicator. You can drop extras on the ground but I had a pile of them disappear on me, so youíre better off crafting as needed.

As for trying to use it to win - how would you feel on the other end? Youíve fought your way into the final circle, canít seem to find the one remaining team, and eventually just die to the ring. Not only would it feel lovely, it would be a long and drawn out process before you lost. Thatís why I offed myself whenever it hit only a couple other teams left. The one time I kept going until there was only one team I felt bad for making them sit around.

In the end I canít stop you, but Iím not gonna applaud you. If I were Respawn Iíd take them out of the crafting options, or make replicators stop working after, say, a minute outside the ring.

It would indeed be a shameful win, and one that Respawn could probably track/punish. Ultimately, I still don't think it would be enough to give you the win unless I'm massively underestimating the durability of the shields. The fact that you'd have to have the shield up for so much longer outside of the last rings while (presumably) the other squads are staying inside for as long as possible, I think you'd die faster than you could craft them. I would hope that Respawn accounted for someone trying to pull the same move and I won't actually try it. I would probably botch it anyways but it seems that lovely strat would be one of the first QA questions to work out before turning the heat shields loose on the public.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

dogstile posted:

Lol, why would they punish you for it? It's not like you're abusing a glitch, if you've had time to hit up every replicator on the map, not get ganked and survive that long in the final circle, you've probably earned the win, tbh.

To runchild's point before, you'd be cheesing a new item in an unintended method (that, again, probably wouldn't even work to get you the win) versus people that actually 'played the game' to get to the final circle. Not saying it would be easy by any means but it still seems somewhat lovely to attempt..

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope
Guessing the new update/season will drop around 1 or 2 PM EST?

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

mcbexx posted:

Got to unlock Valkyrie, went into the Firing Range, used her tactical and suddenly was turned into Lifeline.

Just baffling.

poo poo with Legends is straight up broken right now - base characters only for the moment it seems. I also can't see my tokens, buy, or unlock anything...got into a couple rounds of Arena though! It was pretty fun overall, all games went clean sweep (0-3, 0-3, 3-0) so matchmaking is probably still struggling too. I definitely need to get a better sense for what weapons I'm most comfortable with...in case anyone didn't realize both the P-2020 and Moz are free so you should never be running with just one gun.

Bloodhound tactical seems super overpowered and, if you buy his Ult, that gives you three more scans for free. Anyone else got any best practices or recommendations for Arena?

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

dogstile posted:

I'm truly impressed how its actually a bigger fuckup each time, too.

I'm impressed it will let me play a fully functional round of Apex with so much poo poo broken. Maybe I'm lucky but I haven't had much lag season 9 at all

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

xtal posted:

Lol Crypto only gets one drone per arena round. Can't tell if they hate or ignore this hero.

Is it the life of one drone or just one in-and-out?

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope
Download is hung up at 35%...pausing and resuming doesn't do poo poo

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

Seems like a pretty wide-spread issue unfortunately. I'm seeing recommendations to cancel the download, turn off automatic updates, and then repair Apex via the Origin program window. That seems like a huge hassle...

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope
I don't think it's an isolated issue, but has anyone else had some MAJOR issues actually getting into a server/match since the new update dropped? It's my own dumb fault for continuing to try Ranked games but everything will seem to be working fine but, as soon as the game 'starts', prior to selecting legends, poo poo grinds to a halt and I get booted off. I try to rejoin and it tries to load me back in but then I continue to get error messages. Then, after all that, I get hit with an abandonment penalty which is definitely salt in the wound.

EDIT: Per Respawn, appears I'm not the only one:

quote:

We're still seeing an unusual amount of @playapex
players timing out when attempting to connect to matchesóour team will keep working until we've got things back to normal.

We'll keep you posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

Evil Kit posted:

Pretty much everyone on the discord has had it happening to them as well in unranked BR and (un)ranked Arenas alike.

You're a brave, brave soul for trying to play Ranked on patch day and any subsequent days.

I was sniffing Platinum for the first time yes I'm trash and with only a few days left I was trying to make a push. The ~100 RP I've lost from abandonment penalties certainly don't help... :(