Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tibalt posted:

What heroes did you unlock first/who do you recommend unlocking first?

I'm eyeing Caustic, Octane, Horizon, or maybe Fuse, but I can't really decide. I've had the most fun with Gibraltar and Bangalore.

Try to be objective about your playstyle. I unlocked Caustic because I want to play a more thoughtful defensive style. But eventually I realized I like to press W a little too much for my own good, so I unlocked Octane and have way more success with him.

I still main Bloodhound for those juicy wallhacks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

It's been a long time since i've played a multiplayer multiplatform game; why is the patch size so different between platforms?

Also lol now they're just taunting everyone.

https://twitter.com/TitanfallBlog/status/1356656263623507970?s=20

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you get very, very unlucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT-VoeYdh60

(and yes I know I should have been helping my octane achieve the flank rather than popping the cell at the start of the clip. I was duoed with the Crypto so was playing closer to him by default.)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

MarshyMcFly posted:

The spitfire is just downright oppressive now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jk66nMs-T8

Underselling the excellent sound effect of the fart trap bouncing down the hill there

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

These anniversary skins are so good, I'm briefly tempted to splash out coin for this event, but god everything is so expensive.

In the scheme of things, its probably for the best that I'm not spending too much money on horse armor, but I'm glad that overall, the industry has moved toward catering exclusively to people who compulsively whale these games rather than trying to appeal to who might be willing to spend a bit of cash now and then.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

man in the eyeball hat posted:

I also really hate the number of "oh that's actually a death pit" spots on Olympus, especially when WE has updrafts over the deep lava pits to put you back on the map

Every once in a while I still toss my loba bracelet into a pit, and it still funny to me.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Submit that poo poo to Scrubquotes

https://twitter.com/ScrubQuotesX/status/1361042531593633795?s=20

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I could take or leave the improved loot pool (and maybe the white evo shield), but dropping with a mozzie is really nice.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Kalko posted:

Let her wear two of her walls like a sandwich board.

This, except they keep their hitbox so she can't fit through doors.

Simone Magus posted:

It's the great mobility that does it for me. Running and jumping around feels fantastic even if you're not a mobility class, doubly so if you are

The common complaint about BRs is how little happens between fights, but when its really fun to just go w-shift-ctrl, it helps a lot.

I'm sure i've mentioned it, but I sometimes play Fortnite with my friend and his kids and the movement makes me so sad. Just like running in mud, that game.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Years ago in League, they killed off a champ for a plot thing, and he was briefly un-selectable as a champion (the tooltip literally said "Gangplank is dead").

I want Caustic's gas to do 20 damage a tick, just for a day, is what I'm saying.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 23, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

MarshyMcFly posted:

Maybe a big team match where 120 people is the max.

My understanding is that the comparatively lovely hitreg and lag issues early in the match are because the servers can only barely handle 60 people dropping in, so please god no.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I like the Maggie line is "what're you waiting for, go take his arm" because it implies that her blowing off Fuse's arm was, in fact, a go to move and something she does just as one of her things.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

kaffo posted:

I r no audio man, I know it's not trivial in general, but I feel like they get all the difficult audio stuff right then gently caress up the easy stuff?

Voice mixing for PC is still comically quiet, right?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

TheDemon posted:

I stuck someone and blew them up with an Arc Star for the first time today and now I don't think I can use any other grenade.

Doing damage on the stick is crazy also. I knew it did this, but the effect in a fight is dramatic to see in action.

play fuse, stick people with q on cooldown.

The best thing about arc star sticks is when the person doesn't realize they got stuck, so they think "oh I got pinged," dive back into cover to heal, and suicide bomb their entire squad.

mcbexx posted:

What are you, a syndicate DOG?!

What're you waiting for, take their arm

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I got my last 500-600 in literally one game with loba with maybe 7 heat shields. Started popping them at ring level 3.

Grinding for a couple badges was real dumb but so am I.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Honestly the visual effects on them are so busy they can be used as lovely, small smokes.

Its possible there's something wrong with my eyes tho

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/PlayApex/status/1375553311126994945?s=20

i'm old and not cool, apparently this is a clothing brand that uses the ZUBAZ pattern to sell $50 t shirts and $100 sweat pants?

i hope the skin costs $100 to keep in line with how expensive the clothing is.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Skyarb posted:

Loba is a bad character anyway that encourages all of the wrong kind of play.

This is trivially true for most, if not all, of the legends tho. Wraith and lifeline encourage over aggressive play and poor positioning in the mid-late game because they have fast reposition abilities. Lifeline encourages passive play so you can actually use her passive. Bloodhound reduces the need for situational awareness.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

kaffo posted:

Buildings are for squares, all I want are rocks and roofs.

yeah lol if you're not like "okay we're going to play this respawn beacon, lifeline use your ult so we have more cover"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

comics are for children

I think you will find there are many fine mature comix for adults

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1182465439760293888

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

wyoming posted:

Spoilers for datamined abilities
Tactical - Cluster Missile
Fire a rocket that explodes multiple times.

Passive - VTOL Jets
Hold jump to initiate VTOL Jets - allows hovering in the air.

Ultimate - Skyward
Press once to prepare for launch. Teammates can interact with Valk to join the launch. Press again to launch into the air and skydive.
Note: Vertical clearance is required.

Though that tactile does just sound like Fuse's so maybe something has changed.

loving cowards, let us ult indoors, slam our heads into the ceiling at 1000 miles per hour, and die instantly

Also isn't Horizon insane partly because her passive lets her adad on her passive better? If new-horizon doesn't have that and her hover is more sluggish, it should mean she's a little more reasonable

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

SteelMentor posted:

Please Respawn, if Olympus is getting a revamp then just dump the new POI on top of Estates, or just better yet add a giant death chasm where it stands. I've hotdropped it 5 games in a row tonight and I wanna die it sucks so hard.

Mirage takeover event, where it looks like Estates but its actually just one of his holograms so you fly straight through and die while he laughs at you.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

No drop in this game sucks worse than waterfall. I get why it was happening on day 1, why are there still 2-3 teams reliably dropping for a half squadís worth of loot? because they want to show off their shiny new 30XX GPUs?

Anyway my favorite gimmick drop is to take the phase runner straight off the drop and go halfway - or all the way, if you want to drop by hydroponic and just take two jumps to rift - across the map. If you donít want to drop hot itís usually a very safe way to get away from everyone.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

denereal visease posted:

Is it care package only now?

Did it get a buff to recoil or ???

Yes. It always has the selectfire hop-up as a result, which is nice, but we all miss it.

All of the above. I'm looking at the patch history. It got improved recoil in August; then in February, a slight damage bump (18 to 19 damage) and got a half second improvement in reload time.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I was gonna pick up Titanfall 2 finally, because everyone raves about it and its $7.50 on Steam at the moment. The first one doesn't have a single player campaign to speak of, right? I'm guessing it isn't really even worth the $5 they're asking?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

blastron posted:

I wonder if there's any studios (or QA shops) that hire ex-pro players, train them up as game testers, and set them loose to find balance problems and also search for the weird exploits that only high-skill players would be looking for. Seems like a good career path for highly skilled players who either couldn't make it pro or aged out of the scene.

I'm pretty sure everyone does. Everyone who thinks their game has a shot at being played reasonably competitively hires the best possible players they can find to push them to their limits.

It just doesn't matter. The numbers don't work at all.

Let's say Respawn hires 600 people to do this (Respawn currently employs 315 people, for reference). Let's have them test for...10 hours a day, for 4 weeks. So, 20 workdays means 300 hours of gameplay data. Let's let lobbies take 15 minutes - some will take less, some will take more, but again, it's a nice number, and you're probably limited by slower lobbies since you only have enough people to populate 10 of them.

In that month - during which time any tweaks have to be small because otherwise you're defeating the point of this testing - that means you get about 12,000 games, if I'm doing my algebra right.

There are 84,000 people playing Apex right this second. Once each of those people plays 9 times - a longer, but not unthinkable, session - you've exceeded the testing of a fairly massive QR team for an entire month (all 84k slotted into 60 person lobbies is 1400 games). In the space of a few hours of live play. A studio simply cannot possibly hope to stay ahead of the public slamming their collective faces against their game.

EDIT: Oh, right, the 84,000 players is just on Steam. There are certainly more that Steam isn't catching on consoles and EA. Also the number's gone up since i started this post. The 24 hour peak for Apex on Steam is 195k. And this random website says there are 906,000 people playing Apex right this second. If that figure's accurate, they beat out our hypothetical testing team as soon as everyone drops once.

Edit again lol why did I bother doing all the math with lobby length I could have just asserted player count to get the point across. Whatever I spent brainpower on this, the post stays. :colbert:

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 20, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Fat Lou posted:

please switch out the prowler and spitfire respawn

I love the prowler but do we need another gun that empties its clip all quick like?

Spitfire lets me cackle like an idiot while I hold down M1 for what feels like 4 or 5 minutes and eventually everyone on the other team is dead

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's bad too because Peacekeeper and Mastiff are very very similar to each other.

And having two sniper rifles in care packages is weird, especially since the TT isn't as good in the endgame as the Kraber.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Schneider Inside Her posted:

That would cut into profits

What's the lore for how WE got into the games, anyway? Isn't the plot for Olympus "after the phase runner blew up no one wanted to live or work there (so presumably Blisk was able to get it on the cheap)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

wa27 posted:

This is true for every FPS with a melee button ever.

Not Doom Eternal, where your melee does literally no damage but you can rip staggered demons apart with your bare hands. :confused:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I think the complaint is that this is a competitive mode rather than a more chill "just w key and shoot" mode. Like, a 15 v 15 (or whatever, but it should be comically large to diffuse responsibility) death match, race to X kills, server refill for replacing people who drop out.

FWIW Valorant has a couple of these modes and I think deathmatch gets old quickly but its a pleasant distraction. I think people really love the arms race equivalent. And they both definitely feel less sweaty than even normals.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 27, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I swear to god, people playing complicated FPS games on phone blows my old person mind. Like, I remember my dad being impressed the first time I showed him a mouselook game; he didn't understand how i could manage the coordination necessary to do it. I feel the exact same way when i see someone playing Fortnite or Apex on touch.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

There's also always bundle with the new legend, some coins, and a launch skin.

I think this season had the one with Valk wearing Viper's helmet, and I sorta regret not just pulling the trigger on it even though I don't play much Valkyrie.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Love the upgrade changes. Reload speed relying on stocks rather than mags is so obvious its what i assumed was the case when I was first learning the game. Great change. I also like putting sniper stocks on marksman weapons, just to give them a bit more utility.

The Fuse buffs are interesting. I wonder if the tactical change is just to time or if it also doubled damage as well. Either way, this makes getting a stick super rewarding for him. Also the ult buff is hilarious; it makes basically zero sense flavor wise, but gently caress it, Fuse needed a buff.

Seer's Q seems...nutty? Revealing for 8 seconds is a ton, especially when they just bumped Bloodhound's down. Not to mention interrupting heals, which makes him insane for chases. That 'after a delay' might be doing a lot of work for balancing.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. This feels like its going to be fun; in Valorant, tagging someone with a Sova drone/Cypher camera dart is a really rewarding thing, and you don't get tracking for nearly as long.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

L-STAR
Projectile VFX scale reduced by roughly half

Thank god honestly

I don't know if it was just me but i straight up couldn't use the iron sights on that thing because all i could see was projectiles.

EDIT: Also, confirmed the DPS on fuse's tactical is the same even though the duration doubled, guess i'm back to maining fuse for those hilarious sticks off the drop.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 2, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

egg tats posted:

I want everyone talking about how op seer is to consider that not only is he going to be in 90% of squads this week, but also that Valkyrie seemed oppressive as gently caress a few weeks ago until everyone learned to start looking upwards every once in a while.

seers tac is pretty hard to hit with at the best of times, and his passive doesn't automatically relay info to your teammates. without the passive the tactical is actually useless

I feel like his ult could stand to be a bit easier to see, though that might come with time

Counterpoint everyone was talking about how op Horizon was two seasons ago and the CD on her tactical got, like, doubled immediately. I'm not sure if his poo poo is actually too good but it certainly feels like its on too short a cooldown for how impactful it is.

It definitely makes Crypto's weaknesses even more apparent. What are they afraid of with him? I got curious and looked at the wiki; he last got meaningful changes literally a year ago, making the drone more durable and able to use beacons...but they also massively increased the size of the drone's hitbox. The only time I remember him being anywhere near an issue was at very high level play, when sticking an arc star to the drone and using it to blow up the enemy team was a very good strategy in the final rings. But they fixed that and it doesn't explain why he feels so underpowered otherwise.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Faster transition into drone view would help, but I'd love if they just made it a pet. Let Crypto give it orders, or maybe let it hover above Crypto autonomously. You can balance being able to order the drone around by making it slower without Crypto driving. Better yet, rework his passive to make the drone better in a lot of ways when Crypto is driving. Make it more manuverable, make it feed more information to teammates.

It's puzzling, because he's very unpopular, not super good (I think, even at high levels these hold?) but for some reason they haven't given him a straight buff in a super long time. It suggests they're terrified of a strong Crypto for some reason.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

CoolCab posted:

it's a similar situation to watson i think, allegedly there's a big spread between the win rate on average and higher level play winrate.

Completely believable (good comms helps Crypto a lot, obviously), but looking at the wiki, Wattson has eaten exactly one permanent nerf and been buffed four or five times in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Seer's kamehameha blast.

By the by, satisfaction wise, that tactical is one of the best feeling buttons to press in the game. The VFX, the slight delay, the WOMP as the nanoswarm targets things. Really fuckin feels like you're doing something.