Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Hello friends, this past week I have started to get into Apex and am really enjoying it. I've even won a few matches, which I've never done in Warzone.

Any particular tips, or videos I should watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks for the tips everyone. I don't want to spend any money on the game but there's in-game currency you can use is that right?

I've gravitated so far towards Lifeline, the trick where she can have a bot revive someone while you avenge their shame is so useful.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Again all good stuff here goons, cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Nokokopuffs/featured

I watched some of those clips and Jesus Christ, how the hell does he navigate the inventory so fast? I couldn't even see the pointer. It's like the visual equivalent of Snow's Informer, just a blur.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

once you internalize how you feel about what to bring and what you have on you, it's really easy to just glance at your inventory and swipe out stuff you don't need. If you're using a controller then don't worry about ever coming close to that speed, Controller Looting is both legit thing and a meme for a reason.

I really love the R-301 Carbine and the Rampage or Flatline. The optics also look awesome. Between the R-301 and the G36C in CoD, I don't know what it is but I love their aesthetic.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

How often do new BR maps get released? Once a year?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just got into this this week, and wow its good. But is it really common for your team mates to die within minutes in over half of your games? It happens ALOT and it ends up getting pretty frustrating.

I've been playing it for about 4 weeks and it's really enjoyable. Mechanics took a bit of getting used to for me, the only other BR game I play is Warzone, and I don't think I've won a single game in that (not counting Plunder).

My Apex games vary widely but I've won around 17 or 18 between Duos and Trios. Some games I do quite well and have helpful teammates, getting into the final rings and getting lucky sometimes.

Then we have the opposite, where me or my entire team is wiped out before all the players have even landed. I've only played with friends a few times so most times it's randoms. Stick with it, get to know the weapons and find a Legend you like.

I used to love the R-301 Carbine, but now I'm all about heavy ammo weapons now like the Flatline and Rampage for short to long range engagements, and when up close I try to shred enemy ammo with my primary and quickly switch to shotgun to hammer their health.

Oh, also make sure you have a throwable or two handy, I got a lovely kill earlier with some punk up on a bridge right above me, and with the way the ring was I wouldn't have been able to shoot him unless he poked his head out. Which he did, I landed some damage before I lost line of sight, but gave him the good news with a couple of thermite grenades. He didn't like it.

This is all probably really obvious and I'm sorry for ranting, it's just been a fun distraction for me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

When's the new map released then?

I really wish they'd have regular team deathmatch and FFA modes in this, the gunplay is so good.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

That Revenant guy sounds like Armus from Star Trek The Next Generation.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Questions:
I love playing as Loba but I don't really understand how the store works in terms of what you can take at any one time or what the currency essentially is. I just open up the store and hope for the best.

Also, the Volt with all the trimmings is a sweet little close engagement weapon, is that known?

Oh yeah does the new map launch today?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

71.89GB update on Xbox Series X. Is that normal for a new map/season?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone else dropping acid or is it just me?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jumped onto Titanfall 2 for a few games and it breaks my heart. It plays like a dream and it sucks we'll probably never get a third game. I'd even settle for Apex with team deathmatch.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 23, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

Best fps I've ever played and I will die on that hill.

I guarantee you won't be lonely :lovewcc:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I wonder if they'll ever use the Source 2 engine in Apex or any of their future games?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

repiv posted:

Why would they, Respawns branch of Source is all tooled up for making their style of games

Source 2 is tooled up for making Half Life Alyx and not much else

If anything they'll switch to Unreal, Respawns other team already used it for Star Wars and MoH, and Apex Mobile is also Unreal

Just thinking out loud. Would Unreal engine be capable of the kind of movement and fluidity the game currently has?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I really wish we could leave the last console generation behind and see what these new consoles can do unconstrained by 9 year old hardware, whose CPUs were already shite when they launched.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

There should be a law that requires another Titanfall game. Maybe subscription services like Game Pass would make it more likely? Unit sales aren't a great concern in that model and surely the popularity of Apex Legends would guarantee good engagement?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I only got into Apex late last year when I was off sick for ages. I don't know anything about the lore, tactics, level grinding or anything, but I'm reasonably comfortable with FPSs considering I'm nearly 40. I've won about 18 games and the game generally great fun, much more so to me than Warzone.

But the last week every match I've been in has been full of rapists, and I'm the main course. I can hardly move in real life now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I can't find the option to tell your team to group up - is it just an automatic thing characters say or has my dementia finally started?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

runchild posted:

Characters automatically say it when squad members are too far away from each other. I wish there was a manual “regroup” ping, though. You could use it before the automatic conditions are met, or when teammates don’t understand that if they get a head start and keep moving there’s often literally no way to catch up.

I’d also really like something along the lines of “I hear something” or “I think enemies are at X location”. The “enemies” voice lines are so specific about seeing them and it would be nice to communicate a bit more nuance. Sometimes I’m not sure if I heard them, or maybe I’ve just got a spidey sense tingling. Preferably you’d be able to use it on the map, too.

Yeah that would be great.

I play as Loba almost exclusively - when I move to another character, the movement feels off, for example Caustic feels like a bit fat poo poo to me. Is that just the sound of his movement or does he actually move more slowly?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ah, good to know. What's this Newcastle geezer like? I'm loathe to spend money on the game even though I play it so much.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Knight2m posted:

If you play even semi-regularly, you should have plenty of red tokens to buy new characters each season. They literally throw the things at you.

My problem is I only play with Loba, I take it that limits the red tokens?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

No? Why would it? They mostly come from level ups

From Ranked matches or what? Sorry to be thick as pig poo poo, I honestly just jump in without paying attention to any currency stuff.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I must be doing something wrong, I play the poo poo out of the game and my red tokens are a real grind.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else have severe lag yesterday? I was in a match that kept frozen and suddenly I found myself able to play, and 13 teams left, and my squad fully decked while I stood there staring at a loving building.

Not this specifically, but I've the game crash me to the dashboard, and when I start it up again, I'm in a game already. Happened several times the past few days on Xbox.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Got myself to 12,000 credits. Legends I don't have unlocked yet are Crypto, Rampart, Horizon, Fuse, Seer, Ash, Mad Maggie and Newcastle.

Any recommendations?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Think I'll go for Fuse. I normally only as Loba but doing challenges the last few days has given me greater appreciation for other characters.

Ninja edit, I'm torn between Fuse and Newcastle :bang:

Accidentally unlocked Newcastle. I thought it would give you a confirmation dialogue. Lols.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 6, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Newcastle is pretty decent. Won a Ranked BR match with him earlier and his Tactical was pretty pivotal in being able to move from where we were pinned down to the last remaining squad. He's fun!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

resistentialism posted:

If you confirm your character pick it'll preferentially give you the jumpmaster role if the other two are afk. If you don't want to be jumpmaster pick your character by bringing it up on the loadout screen and then afk in the pick phase.

I've been wondering from day one why I'm Jumpmaster almost all the time!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there any way to check my stats for total wins across all characters? Or is it all separated out?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

shut up blegum posted:

Can someone teach me how to scale walls with a controller? I swear, even when I pick Revenant, I have trouble climbing up on buildings etc. I've seen players scale 2 story buildings just fine, and I can hardly get over a door ::confused:

It's the same as climbing anything else, just jump into the wall and he'll scale it until he either falls off or reaches the top.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

shut up blegum posted:

Yeah but for some reason my characters can't climb very high? Should I look up, straight at the wall? Start looking at the wall and then flick up towards the sky? I have no idea. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

Run towards the wall and press and hold the jump button, you should climb quite naturally. Most characters don't climb all that high but Revenant is a freakshow. Are you sure you're not climbing a wall that has an obstruction above you?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

A leak for her indicates a buff of all abilities.

https://www.dexerto.com/apex-legends/apex-legends-leak-reveals-major-lifeline-buff-coming-with-update-13-1-1846001/?amp

Increased D.O.C. Heal Drone health pool from 150 to 9999
Doubled D.O.C. Heal Drone zone reach radius
Downed teammates can now opt out Combat Revive’s auto-revive
Reduced Care Package’s cool-down from 5 minutes to 3 minutes 30 seconds

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

most top streamers are putting superglides and tap strafes into their repertoire

What are tap strafes?

My FOV is set to 90 but I'll try a higher setting. The other day I tried it at the default of 70 and it was like playing a different game, moving through quicksand compared with being a big slidey god.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What's this heirloom of which you speak?

I don't suppose the game will move to Unreal Engine 5 at any stage in the future? I love the gameplay but the graphics and especially the lighting are very much of the last gen era. Presumably when the Xbox One/PS4 era machines constitute a minute proportion of the systems out there they might switch over?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I was thinking since the mobile version is built in Unreal Engine it might be on the cards. Suppose they could just upgrade the Source engine in future though. As-is it really doesn't tax the new consoles at all.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Carillon posted:

Ranked split! Yay

Ugh storm point. Boo

What does this split mean?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there any map considered the best or the worst out of the lot? World's Edge is probably my least favourite personally.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there a list anywhere showing the most popular Legends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cheers, this is quite surprising. Newcastle and Crypto can apparently GTFO.