Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
so grocery stores throw out shitload billions of tons of food every year, why don't they sell it to hog farmers? hogs can eat most anything, much of which humans cannot eat, and turn it into good quality meat. it's called slop for gently caress's sake. hell, they could just give it away to farmers in exchange for buying the pork that results at a slight premium.

is this a stupid idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Visible Stink posted:

When I worked in the produce department of a supermarket our reason was that there was no way to tell whether the person was actually going to give it to their animals or if they were going to eat it themselves. If they ate it and got sick, the supermarket would be liable since they cannot sell food intended for human consumption which is not fit for eating. So you just have to tell em no and chuck it all away which I agree kind of sucks

surely there must be a way that the store can legally cover itself from such litigation / liability. i.e. "sign this thing saying that you intend to feed this to hogs and if you yourself or any other human eats it we are not at fault"

Perhaps this would necessitate the store / company having a separate department or branch specifically for selling or giving away old food?

Aardvark! posted:

it could be like the lobster tanks, you go out back and point out which dumpster hog you want for dinner

correct. all hogs are dumpster hogs

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
these are all good ideas

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
oh no all this waste it's not green and wasting food

just feed it to the drat hogs and then eat them

hogs will eat fresh cow manure and turn it into edible tasty safe meat. ever seen a hog dive snout-first into a steaming hot cow pie? i have, and i ate that hog a few months later. hogs are literally recycling machines from hell

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
think of all the great pork products that could be given to the starving people of the world if grocery stores just fed their old poo poo to hogs

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
yeah bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Vegetable posted:

if you put a small child near a hog would they eat it

hogs will eat their own offspring sometimes, or that of other animals, like newborn lambs that accidentally stumble into hog pens