Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Breathe with Her Highness in Emi's New Era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

At this point I think I'd be satisfied with any outcome from the tournament. Even a result that ends in a rematch for Shida feels like its been given some good importance from the tournament. Still rooting for Aniki vs. Shida though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I want to see Nyla and Tay go 20 minutes on PPV. They could put together something special if given the time and the stage. As it is this was a real good match and they protected Tay so much. We almost never get visual pinfalls in AEW so that really stood out.

Yuka/Emi was an absolute banger. I didn't think much of Emi's original AEW run but I'm so on board for Evil Queen Emi. It feels like they're establishing Team ChocoPro as a stable they can bring over all together post-pandemic which would be a fun injection into the division. Oh and AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY obviously

I wasn't quite as sold on Kong/Ryo as some but it was still a good match and Ryo's fun and Kong's a legend so hey

Seeing Madi just made me appreciate how good Anna Jay is cause Excalibur said they started at the same time and you can see the difference between them. Britt and Reba (not Rebel) heeling it up was ace though

MORE VENY AND MAKI ITOH YESSSSSS

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

I have no idea why but Emi looked substantially younger tonight and including this picture. I can't put my finger on it but before she looked like a Wrestling Mum and now she looks like a Tough Strong Willed Woman.

Likely a combo of the more serious personality and a much more flattering outfit

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm glad to see everyone rooting for Ryo. She's someone I became a mark for from the first match I saw her in

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm glad to see everyone rooting for Ryo. She's someone I became a mark for from the first match I saw her in

I really like her personality. I wasn't familiar with her until this tournament but I liked her performance in both matches I saw her in.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I absolutely love Ryo's energy. Someone described her as a "butch hypebeast" earlier and that sums up a lot of it. She is cool and fun and colourful and will absolutely absolutely knock gently caress out of you.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Still can't get over how goddamn great the Yuka / Emi match was. Heroic, villainous, athletic, characterful, the inclusion of Mei and Yunamon as Emi's retinue and cheer squad. And then the appearance of Shida at the end as Avenging Suit Femme. Just perfect.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Maybe I'm forgetting how good PPV matches can be, but I feel like Yuka/Emi was PPV quality.

Calling up Madi Wrenkowski was a strange choice, it seems like Kilynn King would be the person you call up for a credible threat while remaining an obvious job. I think I even saw her in the crowd.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

inthesto posted:

Maybe I'm forgetting how good PPV matches can be, but I feel like Yuka/Emi was PPV quality.

Calling up Madi Wrenkowski was a strange choice, it seems like Kilynn King would be the person you call up for a credible threat while remaining an obvious job. I think I even saw her in the crowd.

Ex mentioned that Madi had been trained, at least partially, by Thunder Rosa and works at time for Rosa's own promotion Mission Pro.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

inthesto posted:

Yeah, she was there. I guess they picked Madi so they could hammer home the Britt/Rosa rivalry.
The reason why I'm certain Madi was last minute was that she's got nicer gear than that, and she'd presumably have made a point to bring it if she'd have known.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr. Squishy posted:

The reason why I'm certain Madi was last minute was that she's got nicer gear than that

Oh phew

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't know how anyone could not be a Ryo fan after these two matches, it genuinely doesn't seem possible.

In retrospect I'm glad it was Maddie who took the beatdown from Britt and not King, the Mission Pro angle was a nice touch and King's made enough progress that such a loss might hurt the little bit of momentum she's been building on Dark.

It does make me wonder what the original match with Anna was supposed to look like because it sure as poo poo wasn't that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

rantmo posted:

I don't know how anyone could not be a Ryo fan after these two matches, it genuinely doesn't seem possible.

In retrospect I'm glad it was Maddie who took the beatdown from Britt and not King, the Mission Pro angle was a nice touch and King's made enough progress that such a loss might hurt the little bit of momentum she's been building on Dark.

It does make me wonder what the original match with Anna was supposed to look like because it sure as poo poo wasn't that.

I'd bet a Jay match would have been much more back and forth, with maybe some more overt Reba interference.

Given the circumstances I think they played the hand they were dealt as well as they could. Madi getting bossed by the most heavily pushed heel in the company didn't make her look bad at all.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

A thought I just had:

The semi final between Nyla and Britt is on this week's Dynamite, which was filmed on the 18th.

So was Britt / Madi filmed after that?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lid posted:

I have no idea why but Emi looked substantially younger tonight and including this picture. I can't put my finger on it but before she looked like a Wrestling Mum and now she looks like a Tough Strong Willed Woman.

To me, this version of Emi looks like a conpletely different person from her previous run in AEW. It's got to be some combination of hair, makeup, and the outfit but it definitely threw me off at first in round one.

She somehow looks taller now too, which again may just be her previous gear making her look squished and shorter.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ganso Bomb posted:

She somehow looks taller now too

The crown adds a good nine inches

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Ganso Bomb posted:

She somehow looks taller now too, which again may just be her previous gear making her look squished and shorter.

She's standing next to Mei Suruga now.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I guarantee that the ring they had in the Japan bracket matches is much smaller than the one used on Dynamite

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lamuella posted:

A thought I just had:

The semi final between Nyla and Britt is on this week's Dynamite, which was filmed on the 18th.

So was Britt / Madi filmed after that?

Could’ve been a part of the Dark tapings after Dynamite on the 17th.

This is solely speculation based on wrestler tweets about travel, but I think they might’ve stretched taping into Friday to make up for the travel difficulties people were having earlier in the week.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

inthesto posted:

I guarantee that the ring they had in the Japan bracket matches is much smaller than the one used on Dynamite

It looked like a 16 or 18 foot one rather than the Dynamite 20 foot one.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Ganso Bomb posted:

To me, this version of Emi looks like a conpletely different person from her previous run in AEW. It's got to be some combination of hair, makeup, and the outfit but it definitely threw me off at first in round one.

She has gotten in better shape. I think she mentioned on her livestreams that she has lost over 10 kgs or something like that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the mustache also added a good ten or fifteen years imo

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

rantmo posted:

Ryo's pretty great, but I could do without the "tugging the rope" part of her gimmick in the ring.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Memnaelar posted:

Ryo's pretty great, but I could do without the "tugging the rope" part of her gimmick in the ring.

i don't think she'll do it super often in the long run

it was a cute taunt in the first match and then in the second match it was 'oh she's doing that long taunt again' -> aja having none of it -> ryo then striking back when aja taunts back

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was definitely thinking "Boy, JR would insufferably poo poo all over this one"

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

When she was doing that rope taunt and aja just walked over a slapped her hard in the face before she was done made me lol

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Duke Pukem posted:

When she was doing that rope taunt and aja just walked over a slapped her hard in the face before she was done made me lol

Aja's p. funny. Somebody effort post about her & Amazing Kong's Hustle personas

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Ganso Bomb posted:

If you're used to seeing her in the vlog/react videos you're used to unflattering lighting no makeup Emi.

Yeah makeup, good lighting, photography, possibly some Photoshop on the promo pictures looked better. Cool to hear it's also her Fitness regimen.

Mr. Squishy posted:

She's standing next to Mei Suruga now.

If Jade is any good, I request Mei vs. Jade Cargill.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I really really want a Chocopro heel stable whenever travel allows. Queen Emi and her loyal student soldiers is just a perfect ready-made team

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I am so behind Ryo Mizunami now. Satoshi Kojima as a party hard butch works so well.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

I am so behind Ryo Mizunami now. Satoshi Kojima as a party hard butch works so well.

Unsurprisingly Satoshi Kojima is her favourite wrestler by the way

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

xbilkis posted:

I really really want a Chocopro heel stable whenever travel allows. Queen Emi and her loyal student soldiers is just a perfect ready-made team

This is my prevailing thought after Monday's show. This is what I want.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ryo Mizunami looks like she stole Okada’s entrance jacket and is daring him to try and take it back.

I think he should just let her keep it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

History Comes Inside! posted:

Ryo Mizunami looks like she stole Okada’s entrance jacket and is daring him to try and take it back.

I got this vibe as well, in addition to big Makabe energy. She is very cool.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Ryo is way cooler than Okada.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So this show on Sunday - can you watch it on the BR Live app? Or is there a different Bleacher Report app you need to use? Or no app at all and just in a browser?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

So this show on Sunday - can you watch it on the BR Live app? Or is there a different Bleacher Report app you need to use? Or no app at all and just in a browser?

I'm going to look into it and get a post explaining how up by Saturday at the latest, It's been called the BR App, which is different from the B/R Live app apparently.

If someone else knows what's up, please beat me to it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's not on BR Live, it'll be on the Bleacher Report app or their website. If you go there now you'll see they are currently simulcasting an NBA on TNT game, I assume the AEW show will be hosted similarly.

E: I think someone has mentioned this already but BR Live is region locked and might be US-only, which is presumably why they're not using it for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

There's a stream going on on bleacherreport.com right now so I think just a browser thing. Might need to sign up for an account, but who knows.