Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

MJeff posted:

That, uh, wasn't very good.

If this is all to build up Nyla vs. Shida again, then, whoof.

Yea i'm good on that. It's Rosa's time and Nyla needs to be doing something else right now, she's a good promo and could be having interesting non title feuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I want to know how much poo poo bleacher report is in. I watched this on youtube, I'm hoping that wasn't the original plan and Tony has dumped br once and for all

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i do wonder if rosa not winning is related to the fact she's still technically under contract with NWA.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cavauro posted:

why don't you guys move instead

The WWE World Champion The Miz's strategy.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Maxwell Lord posted:

I do like that we're getting not one but TWO hoss fights in this tourney (after Ryo vs Aja Kong).

I think it says something good when you have enough monsters in a women's division to do that.

If Ryo wins against Nyla, she has earned the right to face the queen of hosses, or should I say the KING of hosses, that's right it's Mel

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

best bale posted:

I want to know how much poo poo bleacher report is in. I watched this on youtube, I'm hoping that wasn't the original plan and Tony has dumped br once and for all

this was always planned to be on youtube, the sunday show was meant to be special

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Oh Snapple! posted:

anyway gonna be giggling at IT WORKS, POSSUMS HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOREVER for the rest of the week probably

It's astounding how much better Taz is in AEW than WWE.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno if Nyla will go over Ryo even though it makes sense, but she seems to be floundering a bit in the creative side. she's supposed to have Vickie G with her, who's never around anymore, and that angle kinda fizzled anyway. doing well in this tourney could just be a jumping off point to repackage her a bit, have Ryo do the job to Shida in an amazing match, and then build Rosa vs Shida for the title change, and then maybe set up Rosa vs Nyla.

it feels so weird to me that their title scene doesn't seem to include Thunder Rosa or Britt at this point?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

smarxist posted:

it feels so weird to me that their title scene doesn't seem to include Thunder Rosa or Britt at this point?

why

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

smarxist posted:

I dunno if Nyla will go over Ryo even though it makes sense, but she seems to be floundering a bit in the creative side. she's supposed to have Vickie G with her, who's never around anymore, and that angle kinda fizzled anyway. doing well in this tourney could just be a jumping off point to repackage her a bit, have Ryo do the job to Shida in an amazing match, and then build Rosa vs Shida for the title change, and then maybe set up Rosa vs Nyla.

Think they're gonna have Britt build up a feud with Shida and dethrone her at DoN for a 1 year reign.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Britt is the biggest rear end in a top hat heel they've got, she's extremely easy to insert into the title picture at any time.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I figured there was contract problems with Rosa, but I was hoping that the NWA title being on AEW-signed Serena Deeb meant that some kind of deal was made for them to have Rosa win the AEW belt while still under contract to NWA

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

because they've both been in more matches/angles/camera time than the champ or Nyla, and seemed to have been getting pushed more

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Ryo wins, she's probably going to be a fairly major part of the AEW Women's Division for the foreseeable future and this tournament was a cool way to give her a big accomplishment in what's basically her real introduction to the division.
If Nyla wins, this whole thing feels like a bit of a waste of time, tbh.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

The Britt/Rosa feud seems like it should have escalated. That one match they had didn't feel like the end. It'd be really good if we got the title match at Revolution plus Rosa and Britt in some kind of stipulation match which the women never seem to get. It's way too late to build that though

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Pylons posted:

Think they're gonna have Britt build up a feud with Shida and dethrone her at DoN for a 1 year reign.

Yeah, this is where I'm at now. Going into the tournament I assumed we were destined for a title change, but at this point it seems like it was less about setting up Shida's successor and more about doing a soft relaunch of the women's division while showcasing some Japanese talent (and introducing Ryo as a credible challenger for Revolution).

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel like they're gonna build Britt/Rosa and maybe Serena/Riho with an eye towards one of those mid-PPV special Dynamites.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Ryo was set on giving up/retiring from wrestling before she got the call from AEW so I think that she's going to be in this, for the long haul.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'd be fine with Nyla winning and taking the belt back off of Shida. It would be the first belt win back and would give Nyla the chance to have the title reign that she was denied the first time around. Then Britt can take it off of her and then once Rosa's NWA contract ends, Rosa takes it off of Britt.

Ryo/Nyla is going to own and I hope Ryo sticks around for a while. I hope she doesn't win the belt though because I think she'd run into many of the same problems Shida's having, unless Ryo's English is good enough to live promo. (I don't think this should be a problem but I think it's undeniable that it's been a problem for Shida.)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm curious what Rosa's schedule looked like for the Riho & Nyla matches. Obviously taped the same night and who knows when she traveled.

(At least that's what I'm blaming some of the sloppiness on.)

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

This still really feels like end of Shida's reign to me. Like, there's nobody left for her to beat. And they aren't even using her that much. If anything, the reboot of the women's division at this point is putting the title on someone else who has lots of fresh matchups. I'm frequently wrong but I super think Ryo is winning the title

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
match was ok, got better as it went. I thought nyla looked like she was moving kinda slower than usual thou. too deliberate. I'm also of the mindset I'd rather see ryo/shida at revolution than nyla/shida III.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm still surprised Riho didn't advance past the first round.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Crapple! posted:

This still really feels like end of Shida's reign to me. Like, there's nobody left for her to beat

Do all her matches again but she's wearing The Cool Suit

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Crapple! posted:

This still really feels like end of Shida's reign to me. Like, there's nobody left for her to beat. And they aren't even using her that much. If anything, the reboot of the women's division at this point is putting the title on someone else who has lots of fresh matchups. I'm frequently wrong but I super think Ryo is winning the title

I don't think Ryo is winning the title, I think they'll do an angle where Ryo is challenging Shida to drive the fighting spirit back into her to revitalize her reign. And start wearing the cool suit.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

fawning deference posted:

I'm still surprised Riho didn't advance past the first round.

...but she did.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DuhSal posted:

match was ok, got better as it went. I thought nyla looked like she was moving kinda slower than usual thou. too deliberate. I'm also of the mindset I'd rather see ryo/shida at revolution than nyla/shida III.

I thought they both looked pretty uncomfortable, like a lot of obvious 'Are you okay's and definitely very deliberate movements. Not sure if they just weren't in sync or what the deal was.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

...but she did.

It’s been weird keeping the brackets in mind since they happened in the most awkward possible order, to be fair.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DuhSal posted:

explosivo posted:

I thought they both looked pretty uncomfortable, like a lot of obvious 'Are you okay's and definitely very deliberate movements. Not sure if they just weren't in sync or what the deal was.

There was like three or four places that it looked like Nyla got her bell rung. After that dive to the outside where she was laying on the ground for a while, the ref and Rosa were pretty clearly asking her if she was okay every couple minutes and that was before she clonked her head on the top turnbuckle and then also ate it on the DVD.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Pylons posted:

I don't think Ryo is winning the title, I think they'll do an angle where Ryo is challenging Shida to drive the fighting spirit back into her to revitalize her reign. And start wearing the cool suit.

It'd be good if the cool suit was her heel attire. They need to do something different like that if she's going to retain because another 3 months of the women's champion being on 1 out of every 3 or 4 shows in the same holding pattern is going to suck

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Crapple! posted:

This still really feels like end of Shida's reign to me. Like, there's nobody left for her to beat.

Very conspicuously hasn't faced Britt since she became champ!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean, Shida isn't dropping that belt to anybody except Britt, let's not kid ourselves here. I think the only other people that even kinda sorta had a chance to take the belt off her from this tournament were Rosa or Riho.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

smarxist posted:

Vickie lives in Texas and was probably stuck there for the entirety of Nyla’s tournament run so far.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hope riho is ok.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MJeff posted:

I mean, Shida isn't dropping that belt to anybody except Britt, let's not kid ourselves here.

and that's a big oof tbh

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Honestly, thinking about it, Britt winning the tournament wouldn't have made any sense. Shida had no energy in her reign (at this time) so Britt beating her doesn't help Britt get more heat. Britt needs to beat her when people are enjoying Shida's reign, and if (granted, that's a big if) that happens because of the Ryo match this tournament will have been booked pretty much perfectly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sometimes i feel like people on this website make nothing but the most insane assumptions their minds can create

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

MJeff posted:

I mean, Shida isn't dropping that belt to anybody except Britt, let's not kid ourselves here. I think the only other people that even kinda sorta had a chance to take the belt off her from this tournament were Rosa or Riho.

Or Britt. Which they didn't do. Like, did they really plan out this big tournament that had Britt Baker in it, not have Britt even make it to the match at Revolution and then have Shida retain the title at Revolution, and THEN drop it to Britt in 3 months at Double or Nothing? What would be the point of this?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Crapple! posted:

Or Britt. Which they didn't do. Like, did they really plan out this big tournament that had Britt Baker in it, not have Britt even make it to the match at Revolution and then have Shida retain the title at Revolution, and THEN drop it to Britt in 3 months at Double or Nothing? What would be the point of this?

Britt winning a whole-rear end tournament against some serious monsters would've been a very face way to give someone the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Alaois posted:

sometimes i feel like people on this website make nothing but the most insane assumptions their minds can create

i aspire to this in all my posts