Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I've played to the end of chapter 3 on hard and have at least some opinions on the stats.

This game and Paper Mario are structured around healing to full on level up. You have three resources to spend to keep you going between level ups, your HP, your TP and then your Berries, or currency. Currency is spent through the use of healing items.

Currency is the last thing you ideally want to use because it can be used for other upgrades and things in the game whereas you can't make your HP or TP do anything of the sort. Additionally, the maximum value of these is only valuable in their ability to get you to the next level up. That is to say, once you're at 0 TP a healing item is going to heal the same amount of TP regardless of your max.

So for the HP to TP calculus, this creates a simple question. Will spending 3 TP prevent more than 3 damage incoming to me?

For reasons that become apparent later, the answer is yes nearly 100% of the time. Which means that you'll almost always gain more EHP by taking TP over HP.

So then we get the MP part of the calculus, where we compare MP to TP.

This is where things get a little messy. MP will usually improve your damage more than your TP will across time, but it relies on your TP to function a lot of the time. So taking a little bit of TP to get your good MP combos going. Especially early on, if you go hard MP you'll get to a situation where there just aren't enough badges to equip unless you grind cash. On top of that, you won't have the FP to sustain yourself through a full level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Black Robe posted:

So geysers thaw out after a while if you freeze them, which makes sense, and frozen enemies in combat thaw out if you hit them. This implies that the other things you freeze don't thaw out, is that right? It doesn't really matter for ice cubes but I have this image of Leif freezing some poor bug so the party can use it as a ladder or dump it on a switch and then they just walk off and leave it there :v:

Things do eventually thaw out on their own.

Often much to my annoyance.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I lost this on hard on my first attempt. If you're not used to blocking yet then it's very easy to take a lot of damage and lose the race to the adds coming in.

Once I knew what was going on in the fight though it was relatively easy to figure out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro posted:

This makes a lot of sense. I definitely think the game is balanced around the assumption the player will hit more normal blocks than they miss, if not most of them.

I'm assuming from this that you haven't played a Paper Mario game before and the blocking mechanic is new to you? That would definitely make this learning curve a bit steeper.

No, I've played a fair bit of Paper Mario but largely the early parts of those games can be beaten without blocking and by the time it's needed whatever build I have has come online and carries me through the game with crazy levels of offense.

I wasn't used to the mechanic because I was a) rusty b) not practiced with it to begin with and c) because the telegraphing in this game is harder to read because enemy and attack diversity is larger.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro posted:

Oh, that makes sense. Blocking was definitely more or less an optional mechanic in Paper Mario (though I tend to forget this after Master Quest, which made it mandatory). I hope you're still enjoying the game?

My build came online and I started killing everything with crazy levels of offense! I recently beat the game and I enjoyed it a bunch!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro posted:

Hah, one of those! Out of curiosity, who did you end up using as your main damage dealer?

Spoilers for lategame builds:

I used Vi because she's got multi hit. I ran two builds, one for the field and one for bosses that eventually got integrated together. The basic premise runs as follows though:

I used Hard Charge and then the danger mode badges that increase your power at 4HP. If you don't boost HP at all in the game, Vi ends the game with 9 HP, meaning she hard charges herself to 4 and activates all her danger badges (2 copies of Last Attack and 2 Copies of Last Stand).

You then stack Power Exchange on top of that (2 copies again) as well as the power up berry you get from the vendor.

Leif can then empower her for an extra attack boost and the ADP enhancer gives her an extra hit. Kabbu taunts to stop Vii taking a hit at 4HP.

So on a charge turn Vii will have a base attack of 3+1(Front Row)+2(Power exchange)+2(Last attack)+1(Empower)+3(Charge) = 12 Damage. So one of her 5 hit moves will hit an opponent for 50 damage. You can then turn relay back to her for -4 damage (No charge, 1 point of exhaustion) and she'll hit again for another 30 damage. Nothing is really going to survive 80 damage coming out on one turn.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 27, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Alxprit posted:

Shoutout to the miniboss theme which you first hear in this fight. It's really catchy and fun.

This is around where I stopped playing before since I wanted to prioritize Xenoblade Definitive Edition at the time before finishing this game. I encountered a certain... hungry thing, if you know what I mean, by dicking around and exploring trying to avoid chapter progression past this point, and that was quite the stressful endeavor to end it on. I'm wondering if this LP plans on taking it on now or later. I don't doubt that it's possible to beat it now but I can't imagine it's a good idea. It sure did teach me that this game wasn't the average Paper Mario clone, it had real stakes and strategy and wasn't afraid to kick my butt.

It's probably possible now with some shenanigans, it becomes very doable around the end of the next chapter though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think I managed it after Chapter 3 but doing it now is pretty bonkers.

I feel like you'll need some really good RNG on the attacks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro posted:

It would seem natural to give this to Leif, but it doesn't stack with Frigid Coffin's -30% (and his buff/debuff skills like Break are guaranteed to succeed).

What.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 5, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I never really felt the need for Dark Berries in game. By the time they became available for me I'd snapped the game over my knee so they were too prohibitively expensive for sustain and boss fights simply didn't last long enough to warrant their use. (This is obviously somewhat influenced by how quickly I realised that HP and TP past a small amount were trap choices)

Personally I don't think Elixirs/MegaElixirs are bad design, no less than Magnum bullets or Rocket Launcher ammo is in Resident Evil.

That is to echo the above which is that if an item is required for progression it should be ubiquitous, but it's also fine to have a very small number of very powerful items. Managing resources without knowing what's necessarily coming in the future is part of the skill of a game with limited resources in general. (Where this idea becomes controversial is when you take this attitude for permanent increases, like level ups like in Bug Fables, where HP for example might provide a temporary boost but long term screws you)

Where things become problematic is where very powerful items aren't required and are ubiquitous because it breaks the difficulty curve and where items aren't readily available but are required, so you get screwed because you decided to drink a megaelixir on the third boss instead of saving it for the boss that requires you to use 10 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah I completely missed that! So it's really cool to see.