Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Master is a dated English honorific title. It is considered to be the diminutive form of Mister and applied to young men before they have reached adulthood and debuted in society. Typically this was a high society thing, but usage did spread to other social classes before fading from everyday use. There is still moderate usage of the term in various English speaking places.

In the case of Steiner he speaks and addresses everyone in a formal manner, mostly modeled after Shakespearean dialogue. He addresses Vivi as Master because it's just the proper way to refer to a child in the way Steiner speaks. Same as he might refer to Zidane as Sir or Dagger as Lady. It is a sign that he respects his team and views them as equals to be sure, but I also feel like Steiner is the kind of guy who would refer to street urchins as Master.

Master As An Honorific

Zushio fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I agree that the quoted exchange indicates that Steiner is using it because he either feels respect for Vivi's power, or due to fear of that power and trying to get on Vivi's good side. It doesn't suggest to me that Stiener is putting himself in a subservient position, just using the term that would come naturally for a young man he respects.

To me Zidane's question reads as wondering why anyone, let alone Steiner, would respect Vivi in any way. The way Steiner responds also makes me think he is more in awe of how naive Zindane appears to be about how powerful Vivi really is. Zidane is also a poor thief and unused to society etiquette and language.

It is also possible, given the translation, that Zidane is asking thinking that Stiener used Master to imply someone he takes orders from, but Steiner replies thinking mistakenly that Zidane is aware of the higher society usage of the word. Steiner's answer just happens to make sense for either word usage. It's always possible the whole exchange is a bad joke about the very discussion we are having about it!

It's open to interpretation though, I agree. The original Japanese script could probably clear it up entirely, but that is a little beyond my skill level.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 7, 2021