Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Explopyro posted:

Hah, one of those! Out of curiosity, who did you end up using as your main damage dealer?

I ended up with one of these builds and for me it was Vi. I stacked the attack up and all the poison badges on her, plus the badge that upgrades her Beemerang. She outputs insane damage, Lief supports with freezing, Kabbu...was mostly just the item caddy that could take hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Alright sure but consider you get to fight a dive kicking praying mantis with nature powers

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah wow that was pretty incredible. It took me a few chapters later to take this guy on for re and he still wasn't easy. I think I was just underestimating attack items too, dont think I ever used those bombs in a serious fight.

Seriously, kudos.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Definitely think the reason this fight works so well is that so many other versions of the tough guy/squishy mage fight basically just make you lose for doing the wrong thing; usually knocking out the squishy guy makes the tough guy incredibly strong, able to dish out one hit kills.

Here, you get a warning. You tap Mothiva and Zasp gets mad, don't do that. Then if you don't heed that warning, you get to face buffed up Zasp. And buff Zasp isn't insurmountable either, but you're in for a tough fight if you left him at max hp.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, Monsieur Scarlet didn't cross my radar at all. Probably helps that I didn't realize his clothing was explicitly feminine, I just thought he was posing as a nonthreatening fancy lad.

At any rate, my vote's for Poison Attacker and Status Booster. I used the poison build for much of the game, and it's great fun. Honestly I'd also like to see the Needle skills get used, because I typically didn't find much of a use for them.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I spent...a lot of time on Spy Cards. Not only is it a really fun minigame, it's also pretty rewarding if you do the full sidequest.

Though I gotta say, I wasn't a super big fan of the Venus deck. mostly it just comes down to the fact that Venus Bud is a bit of a win more card; lifesteal is admittedly pretty powerful, but Venus Bud contributes absolutely nothing to winning a round and can clog up your hand. And besides, you don't need healing if you win every round.

I won't deny it's pretty useful early on though. As you've shown, it's effectively the first archetype you get access to and probably outclasses just playing random cards at this point.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

ChaosStar0 posted:

Actually, Venus Bud does contribute if you play Venus Guardian, since each Bud boosts Guardian's ATK. Then again, I play Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh! so I enjoy card games being a minigame in a video game. I liked Tetra Master in FFIX and Triple Triad in FFVIII.

I mean, that's exactly my point. You're relying on one card in your 15 card deck.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Fun fact, that HP plus medal was the last thing I needed for 100% completion on my playthrough. I thought I needed a later upgrade to grab it, and by the time I had all upgrades and was backtracking to find all the items I missed I had completely forgotten about it!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I can't even tell you how many Queen's Dinners I made. They were just so useful, I always had one or two lying around my inventory. This did break the bank quite a bit though...that's what Spy Cards are for.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh also, there's one very VERY important detail about the Queen's Dinner: healing all status effects means it heals your poison attacker too. Guess what I accidentally did on the final boss with no way to inflict poison? :v:

(I did still end up winning though)

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's funny because the intro to wikipedia says "A wasp is any insect of the narrow-waisted suborder Apocrita of the order Hymenoptera which is neither a bee nor an ant." Apparently wasps share a common ancestor with bees and ants and as such don't qualify to be classified in their own group.

Given how much this game knows about insects, it doesn't surprise me that 3 of the main kingdoms are this closely connected.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh huh, I don't think I came here early. I guess I must have built up sidequests for a while.

Also Miracle Matter is a medal I promptly ignored. My thoughts were probably along the lines of "Oh, this medal is a safety net for when a bug goes down, if I'm careful I won't need this!" And i mean, i managed to 100% the game without it so I guess I was right. Probably would've made some fights a lot easier though. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Defense is, in a lot of was just worse attack, but at the very least its costed appropriately. The Bee-Boop for example, is an effect card and therefore immune to numb, but the trade-off for that is the coin flip that could give you a defense instead of an attack. (Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure there isn't a bot-killer card either, so that's another advantage.) There's also a later card that's like Denmuki but gives defense instead of attack; to make up for this, it numbs every time instead of needing a coin flip.

I played a bunch of different decks in this, but I do think Tidal Wyrm was my favorite. Nothing like sweeping the enemy with a single card, you know?

Oh, also, can't you make a bot deck at this point? Might be fun to see.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, I love the tournament! This was my favorite grinding spot for money. I'm sure there are some faster ones, but I had a lot of fun with spy cards so I mostly just ground this out with a bunch of different decks. My team ate like royalty off of the winnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The big thing that gets me about the Berry Smoothie in particular is that there's no real mid-tier TP healing item; a couple heal 12 TP, Queens Dinner heals 15, and the smoothie for 99. I ended up using a ton of Smoothies, if only because by endgame the doughnut just wasn't cutting it and there's literally no other option.

I really would've liked something that healed 20-25 TP, as an option at least.