Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey BYOB, one of my all time favourite bands is Matthew Good Band (and by extension, Matthew Good's solo work). I had this idea for a thread about a year ago and just kept putting it off... but being subjected to Maroon5 by Heather Papps has inspired me to listen to music I do love--woo!

My plan here is to listen to Matthew Good's entire discography, starting with his MGB stuff and working my way through his solo stuff. I actually haven't heard his last four/five albums, so I look forward to getting there and seeing if I still love his early stuff, as a lot of his 90s/2000s stuff was super influential for me.

"But wait, Sally, who is Matthew Good?"

If you are unfamiliar with Matthew Good and his band, that's not a surprise. Also, you're probably not Canadian. Or if you are, you're probably on the eastern seaboard--MGB are from Vancouver. Yes, despite being a multiple Juno award nominee and winner, the 25th best-selling Canadian artist between 1996-2016, and being the lead singer/songwriter for one of the most successful Canadian alternative rock bands in the 90s, he is surprisingly underrated and unknown. So besides doing this for myself, I have the goal of sharing my love of 90s Canadian alternative rock.

To help prepare you for just how 90s this thread will be, let me prime you with some Matthew Good Band photos:

Good is in the sunglasses.

Fisheye lens! (I stole Matthew Good's thick-rimmed glasses look as a teenager).

More extreme fisheye lens!

Good wore Atari t-shirts in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
Startin' with their first release as Matthew Good Band:

wikipedia posted:

Last of the Ghetto Astronauts (1995–1996)
Good formed a three-piece rock band in 1995 composed of himself, drummer Ian Browne and bassist Geoff Lloyd. Dave Genn originally only recorded with the band as a paid session musician. The four recorded the band's debut album, Last of the Ghetto Astronauts. The band released the album independently in 1995, after which Genn officially joined the band. The band was not originally called "Matthew Good Band". In fact, the first 5000 copies of Last of the Ghetto Astronauts were just titled "MGB". After the album was released, "Alabama Motel Room" began to receive significant radio airplay, and people began requesting the song on radio and the album at retail stores calling the band, "Matthew Good Band". At the time, the band had been having conversations about the band's name, but the band then decided that the band would be called "Matthew Good Band". Although initially popular only in the Vancouver area, the band began to have more success across Canada in 1996, with the singles "Alabama Motel Room" and "Symbolistic White Walls" becoming significant hits on radio and their music videos being played on MuchMusic. In December 1996, Matthew Good Band signed a two-album deal with Private Music.

I remember my local town didn't sell this CD so I had to give my friend money so when his parents took him to a bigger city he could buy it for me at A&B Sound (:rip:). I remember being super stoked to get it when he gave it to me on the school bus, but I had mixed opinions on the CD. It has some solid singles, but struck me as a rather mixed bag and certainly didn't come anywhere near to the awesome heights later MGB albums would. You could definitely hear the proto-MGB sound in it though... It'll be interesting to see how I feel about this album now, as it's always been my least favourite MGB album.

I do recall this album has the distinction of being the single best-selling independently released Canadian album of all time (in Canada, ofc). Also, that it kind of rocked the Vancouver alt rock scene because there are no electric guitars played on it... they're all acoustic guitars ran through Marshall amps.

EDIT: Buncha Canada-restricted videos... had to swap links for Native Son, Every Name Is My Name, Radio Bomb, Fearless, and The War is Over... phew!

Sally fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 9, 2021

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
playlist ready... i'm going for a walk :hai:

Finger Prince

I feel like you could put a comma between Matthew and Good and it would be an accurate statement. Never mind blowing or amazing, just good. A solid staple of Canadian rock radio. I never really got sick of hearing them, even though their music was ubiquitous, but for me at least I also never really seeked them out. I think I may have owned one of their CDs, or maybe it was a housemate's, but I can't say I really listened to it. I might have seen them live at some point? Maybe? Probably not, but they're the kind of band you feel like you probably did, even if you didn't.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
native son and fearless come up as unavailable for me

nut

ya he's matthew alright i guess

nut

very interesting op, i hit ctrl+f and typed "sloan" and hmm maybe my browser's broken

Finger Prince

Aaaa paaaa ritions
Nah nah nah nah
Something something

I think that's a mathew good song.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

Luvcow posted:

native son and fearless come up as unavailable for me

strange... it is from the official channel and other ones seem to work...

try this link for Native Son:

https://youtu.be/EuByjMB4f6E

and a live TV performance if that doesnt work: https://youtu.be/R8s8OfFKsE0

Here's one for Fearless:

https://youtu.be/2K3UxZKGZYM

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

Finger Prince posted:

I feel like you could put a comma between Matthew and Good and it would be an accurate statement. Never mind blowing or amazing, just good. A solid staple of Canadian rock radio. I never really got sick of hearing them, even though their music was ubiquitous, but for me at least I also never really seeked them out. I think I may have owned one of their CDs, or maybe it was a housemate's, but I can't say I really listened to it. I might have seen them live at some point? Maybe? Probably not, but they're the kind of band you feel like you probably did, even if you didn't.

he's got a big discography and a lot of it is only okay... but he's also got a few albums that are underrated masterpieces imo

listening to JUST his early stuff is hard right now because it's just making me want to put on latwr albums :shobon:

nut posted:

very interesting op, i hit ctrl+f and typed "sloan" and hmm maybe my browser's broken

Sloan rules!

but i stand by my assessment :colbert: and while MGB's first album is not a strong showing, i am sure as evidence mounts you too may find yourself persuaded

Finger Prince posted:

Aaaa paaaa ritions
Nah nah nah nah
Something something

I think that's a mathew good song.

:hellyeah: pretty sure this was the first MGB track i heard
got lots of radio play. kickin rad music video for it. it's on the next album

nut

I have to assume here that we are not including the Weakerthans as alt rock :colbert:

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

nut posted:

I have to assume here that we are not including the Weakerthans as alt rock :colbert:

glad someone said it

thanks Manifisto!

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
haha tbh i've never listened to them. theyre one of those bands that i somehow kept missing. i am aware of them by reputation... but yah i dont know any of their stuff.

you should post some!

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd1J6LpvECI
this one is good

thanks Manifisto!

nut

Sally posted:

you should post some!

Gladly!
The Reasons - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhBdyL2Py-s
Our Retired Explorer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9duLB3mG6G8
Watermark - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Of-P_m-GyI

And John K is still kicking. His solo work unearthed his most personable sound that will both shatter your heart and uplift you in a few brief minutes.

Fantasy Baseball at the End of the World - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-z9djgthqE

nut

no please my heart

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfdTnpV03p8

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

nut posted:

no please my heart

at least i didn't post virtute explains her departure?

thanks Manifisto!

nut

minecraft_holmes posted:

at least i didn't post virtute explains her departure?

u can listen to only one part of the trilogy?

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

nut posted:

u can listen to only one part of the trilogy?

no :cry:

thanks Manifisto!

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

hmm this is really...

...good!

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
looks like i am bumping weakerthans to the top of my "To listen to" list

Heather Papps

hello friend

the weakerthans has been at least two ex girlfriends favourite band so today this is the first time i've actively listened to it and i am immediately transported to a backyard barbeque

also mathew good rules, this song coming on the radio is always good news
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xOplqgcg3g

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
okay, these are my first re-impressions of Last of the Ghetto Astronaut:

• Alabama Motel Room - Solid single, though I still don't love it as much as later Matthew Good stuff. If this was the best they could do, I would not be as big a fan as I am today. I do remember hearing this song a ton on CFOX as a kid (99.3 The Fox rocks! woo!)--a Vancouver radio station---so it's definitely filed under "overplayed" in my mind. The music video is only OK too. The story of a woman being stalked is eh.

Though I was kinda pumped to find out while googling it for this thread that the woman in the video is fellow Canadian alt rock star Holly McNarland!

I did not know that! Also, I haven't listened to anything from her since the 90s, so this kind of prompted me to search up her old singles. She had some solid tracks:
    - Holly McNarland - Coward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SynyxgiHtUI
    - Holly McNarland - Numb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MdBU1wgk6c (this track was my fav)
    - Holly McNarland - Elmo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjN2rhlPjGU

i didn't realize until today that all those tracks are on the same album, her debut "Stuff". I guess i haven't heard any of her newer albums... hmm... Anyways, she does some collaborations with Matthew Good on later albums.

• Symbolistic White Walls: Man, get some serious Tragically Hip vibes from this track. I am less a fan of this as a single. It's catchy enough, I always thought the use of "symbolistic white walls" as lyrics in the chorus came off as a bit forced. Also not the biggest fan of this music video... just Matt Good and his band in a white room, Good mean mugging to the camera, interspersed with 90s people doing 90s stuff.

I do love pretty much the whole verse of this track lyrically though. Super 90s angst. I dig it, especially these lines:
    I have a psychic and she says I'm lonely
    she says my destiny is turning out all wrong
    so now I just sit here
    and think of meaningful things to say"

This is a weaker MGB single, imo. Though I recognize it was super big in the 90s.

• She's Got a New Disguise: This is a track I overlooked a lot as a teenager because it was a "slower" song. Also partly because it comes off as a lovesick/break-up song and I didn't have time for those despite being, like Matthew Good, a huge dork in high school. Listening to it now, I think I appreciate it a lot more.

One sound I was never a huge fan on Last of the Ghetto Astronauts was what I saw as an overuse of organ... but I have to say, the organ in the chorus here is pretty drat good. Googling, I thought it was interesting to find out that Dave Genn (the organ player) was just a sessional artist on this album... I always thought he was a founding member of MGB, but as it turns out it didn't join until they started touring Astronauts.

Found a solid live performance of Shes' Got a New Disguise here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ReIGf0bwLs

Also, spotted this comment in the video:

• Native Son: This song's okay. Middling Matthew Good Band, imo. I didn't care for it too much when I was younger and I'm not being blown away today. I do like the "And every time I call your name" start to the chorus, but this is also a song that I think they went way too hard on the organ for. When I hear that organ start up in the first few seconds of the track I feel an irrational impulse to hit skip. More appreciation for this song now that I'm older, but still don't love it.

That said, this live version that I posted a few posts back is way radder than the album version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8s8OfFKsE0. Big fan of the faster pace here. I'd rock out to this. Also laughing pretty hard that Good got away with shouting "loving" on a televised performance.

• Every Name is My Name: This song is total filler and I've basically always skipped it if actively listening to this album. Had to force myself to really listen to it this time... I guess now I appreciate the pretentious jokey-ness of it... it's hard to take seriously.

I chuckled at the reveal that the narrator's name was every name in the credits. But otherwise I am gonna go back to skipping this track every time in the future.

• Haven't Slept in Years: This song rules. I remember it being a radio single on CFOX back in the day :corsair: but there was no music video for it. It takes a bit to get going, but Geoff Lloyd's bass line at the start is good. Once the course kicks in and Ian Browne starts hitting that ride cymbal? Woof :discourse: drat good. I've replayed this song the most the last couple days, so it's definitely still a fav.

Also, while Googling stuff about this, I came across this factoid:
    "The band was originally going to go with another name ("Snowaxe" and "Gandalf" have been mentioned by Matthew Good), however a radio station in Vancouver played "Alabama Motel Room" and announced the band as the Matthew Good Band, at which point it stuck."

I knew the story about how the radio station's announcement cemented the name "Matthew Good Band", but holy poo poo at the idea they could've been called "Gandalf" or "Snowaxe", hahahaha.

• Radio Bomb: Another middling MGB song for me. I had a lot of proto-MGB energy to it that I recognize in later singles... but unlike later singles which loving rule, Radio Bomb is just kinda there. I always forget about it until it comes up on a playlist.

• Fearless: Another drat solid track. This is more ballad-y than a lot of what MGB is known for, but they never totally shied away from tracks like this. Glad Genn stopped with the organ and just did piano for this, as it really works. While writing this I double checked the album liner notes and it's not Genn on this track... some guy named Steve Black.

Like Haven't Slept In Years, I don't have a lot to say about this track. I liked it as a teenager and I like it now. Love for these tracks reaffirmed.

• The War is Over: This one surprised me. I often skipped over it as a teen and always found it a bit forgettable. Probably because I'm not the biggest fan of the opening verse musically. I like the lyrics, especially the "there are spacecraft orbiting the earth / guided by 90-year-old Russians that haven't heard / the war is over" and the line about kids who "fear sex but not the bomb"...

But man, when that chorus kicks in and Dave Genn's organ dominates the track? That's some good poo poo there. Big fan of the drums here too. Browne was probably my favourite drummer Matthew Good worked with.

Track rules, though. Glad I rediscovered.

• Omission of the Omen: This one is fine. I get why it was hidden. It really sounds like a B-side. Still, as it's not a very long album, I was always surprised that this wasn't cut into its own track. (On my CD, "The War is Over" is the last track and is like 12 minutes long... Omissions comes on at about 9ish minutes). I would've put Omissions in place of Every Name is My Name or something.

Anyways, this song is alright. There are much better solo guitar Good songs on later albums. I do like the ending though.

I was surprised to find that there's live recordings of this song as I kinda figured it'd been swept under the rug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKOtAtDvXh8

THAT SAID, this song has notoriety for being the first recorded use of the phrase "first world problems" (in 1995). It's questionable whether or not Good actually coined the term first, but hey, I'll take this as a win for Vancouver.

quote:

"Good coined the slang phrase "first world problems" in this song's lyric, "someone would love to have my first world problems." Good's original message of illustrating the often hollow grumbles made by those in the "first world" subsequently gained recognition as an internet meme to minimize complaints about trivial issues by shaming the complainer."

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
Gonna give Ghetto Astronauts a few more listens, but I'm itching to move onto Underdogs.

but i also found a 2-hour interview with Ian Browne and one of MGB's producer regarding Ghetto Astronauts, so I'm going to listen to that too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNp-l2JQd4E (25th anniversary interview)

also, i don't think i specified earlier, but Matthew Good Band is:
- Matthew Good - Vocals, guitar
- Dave Genn - Keyboards, guitar
- Geoff Lloyd - Bass, later replaced by Rich Priske
- Ian Browne - drums

MGB started with Good, Lloyd and Browne... Genn was a session musician on the album, but joined as a full-time member after its release.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
One hour into that interview with Ian Browne and John Shepp... some notes about Last of the Ghetto Astronauts:
  • Geoff Lloyd died in 2010 :( drat
  • Apparently Matthew Good has gone on record to state he despises Last of the Ghetto Astronauts (haha, he would), save for Omissions of the Omen
  • They reference older bands of theirs: Goods Rodchester Kings, a folk band--they did cello and piano on Ghetto Astronauts, I believe. He fired them on tour and hired Geoff, then Geoff suggested Ian as drummer because he heard his punk band playing through walls of a studio he worked at. Ian originally played in a punk band called "Spiders". Played with Gob... and ironically enough John Shepp was recording Too Late No Friends at around the same time for them.

Gob is classic 90s Vancouver punk. They were featured on a bunch of EA NHL and Madden games in the early 2000s.
    I always liked Cleansing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkL3WDfnFhQ
    You're Too Cool was solid too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndBJbtZjNok
    and Give Up the Grudge was loving iconic, but was when they were also getting more pop punk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FrfC6ka6Qg (Foot in Mouth Disease was a great album name)
  • John Shepp also engineered Good's early demos... Bunch of limited print stuff only on cassette. He lived a block from Good and they hung out a lot.
  • Browne says Good was a pretty manic songwriter (makes sense, since he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder decades later). Spent days just chainsmoking cigarettes, playing guitar, writing a new song a day.
  • Hahaha, first song they talk about is Every Name is My Name. Shepp knows the fanbase generally hates it but he loves the joke. Says the lyrics were intentionally absurd and delivered in an intense manner. It was the only album on the song played with a click track. Good gave Shepp the chords and he made a loop for the rest of the band to play over.
  • Ian points out every MGB album has a song with a weird loop.
  • Shepp says that they intended to use the old demos in Ghetto Astronauts, but when Llyod and Brown were hired the wound up recording all new stuff, more in line with what Good wanted, so they chucked it all out and that's what Ghetto Astronauts became (Though I dug around and found out Last of the Ghetto Astronauts was also the name of one of the old demos).
  • Brown: "I was fresh out of music school, doing little jazz licks. No click track. No edits."
  • They went off on a long tangent about other bassists and drummers they played with about twenty minutes in.
  • Apparently the vinyl pressing of Ghetto Astronauts omits Omissions of the Omen. It was so short, most of the album took up one side, so side B was entirely smooth. They didn't want to put money into making a metal press for one track, so they cut it. Good was apparently pissed (haha, he would be). But it was either keep the grooves between songs fat enough to replicate the original spacing or make them too thin... so they cut it.
  • They talk about cut tracks a bit. There were four or five? One was called "Revenge" and had Social Distortion's Charlie Quintana play on it, which is pretty cool. Apparently it sounded amazing and pretty radio friendly, but apparently it sounded like nothing else on the album so it wasn't vibing. Also apparently it had a solo that went on too long and Good isn't much of a soloist, so EMI wanted it cut.
  • Shepp says the bass in Alabama Motel Room sounds a ton like Primus's Wynona's Big Brown Beaver because Geoff Lloyd was a huge Primus fan and didn't realize he was channelling them. Hmm, Alabama Motel Room and Wynona's Big Brown Beaver mashup? :thunk"
  • Huh, Shepp says Geoff plays in drop-D for the final chorus. Never noticed that before.
  • Browne says Ghetto Astronauts is his favourite MGB album because it was so honest. Considers Underdogs a direct continuation. Liked the latter albums less when the guitars got heavier--says he felt it was less unique.
  • Shepp says the recording sessions were super light and amiable. Everyone was just loving around and having fun. Also that Alabama Motel Room was done in one day.
  • Apparently Browne is a fairly accomplished singer. Is uncredited, but did the harmonizing on Fearless.

Also apparently he did performances with a group around schools in BC to afford to buy the drumset he used for Ghetto Astronauts.
  • On Fearless, the song starts fast then slows down. Not only because they weren't playing a clicktrack... and Shepp says Browne's timing was impecable... but apparently Good was loving around when recording and was singing along in a Scottish accent up to the first chorus before he stopped screwing around. Shepp thought it sounded great, natural--an acceptable flaw--so it stayed.
  • Change of Season, the final track on the next album, was apparently percolating here and they considered putting it on Ghetto Astronauts.
  • Shepp's favourite song to groove on drums to is Native Son. He just loved those drums.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
gonna listen to the rest later. gonna make myself a drink and play some video games

nut

gob is great, I want to jump in a lake

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
:hai::respek:

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
bgob

Prof. Crocodile

I will check out this music this weekend.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
BYOB, I can't do it anymore. I am over "Last of the Ghetto Astronauts". It's an okay album, but it's a far cry from my favourite Matt Good stuff. I appreciate it a little more now that I'm older, especially learning a lot of the behind the scenes stuff (I do intend to finish that 25-anniversary interview, it was super fascinating), but all it's doing is getting me wound up to listen to the good Matt Good stuff.

I think going in I would have given Ghetto Astronauts a two out of four rating. It's fine. A solid album. More interesting for its significance to Canada's rich musical history than its actual music... and having listened to it, though I found a new appreciation for some of the tracks, it merely reinforced my opinions.

SO! Last of the Ghetto Astronauts, I award you two astronauts out of four:

I think I took a risk starting with Ghetto Astronauts instead of one of MGB's better albums, but hey... we're on to Underdogs next which is drat fine and has some of their most iconic tracks. I'm gonna load that up on my phone and do some chores. Will post links to tracks and videos in a bit!

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
There's an EP between Last of the Ghetto Astronauts and Underdogs, but I'm going to skip EPs for now. (There's an EP between every MGB album, but I figured I'd save'em all up for the end in a single post/playlist).

So next up is "Underdogs":

Wikipedia posted:

In mid-January 1997, on the first day of pre-production for their next album, the group was notified that BMG Entertainment North America was merging Private Music into Windham Hill/High Street Records, putting a halt to the production of the album. In mid-March, after negotiations, Windham Hill/High Street released the group from its contract.[2] Good was paid what he was owed for the two albums, and the group then decided to record the new album without label support, using the money received from the divorce of their contract with Windham Hill/High Street to fund it. The group then agreed to release the upcoming album under a distribution agreement with PolyGram Group Canada. After releasing the EP Raygun in May 1997, the band later that year released their second full-length album, Underdogs. The album was produced by Warne Livesey, who would go on to produce every full-length MGB album and most of Good's subsequent solo albums. The album spawned the singles "Everything Is Automatic", "Indestructible", "Apparitions" and "Rico", all of which were hits in Canada.

In 1998, the band toured across Canada with Edgefest.[3] In November 1998, Geoff Lloyd left the band.[4] Lloyd was replaced by Rich Priske shortly after. On January 21, 1999, Underdogs was certified Platinum in Canada.

I am pretty pumped to listen to this one. I don't remember if it was this or Beautiful Midnight that were my first Matthew Good Band albums, but I am fairly certain "Apparitions" was one of the first songs I heard of his on the radio. It didn't click with me right away like other songs did, but Everything is Automatic hooked me hard. loved this album as a teen. Played it so much that I wore it out! I pared down my CD collection five years back and believing I had "grown out" of this album, it was one of the ones to go. I had ripped it to my HDD so whatever.

Thinking back on it now... I wish I hadn't. This is a rock solid album. Arguably MGB's most iconic single is on this album, but it's got a lot of great tracks. The weaker songs (Like Look Happy It's The End of the World) sound like they could be the single for a lesser band. It's not quite as tight as the two albums that come after it, but Underdogs gets pretty drat close.

Also Prime Time Deliverance is probably one of my all time favourite MGB songs... too long to be a single, but so loving good. Anyways,I've been listening to this all night and it's been awesome so far. Will post my more detailed re-impressions tomorrow.

edit: whoops, listed Indestructible twice!

Edit: restricted vids list for this one: Everything is Automatic, Apparitions, Rico, Indestructible, and Look Happy It's The End Of The World

Sally fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 9, 2021

biosterous

this thread is teaching me that i actually know a lot more MGB songs than i thought i did!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

hot cocoa on the couch

op just remember when it's getting hard to listen to just push and push and push 'til it hurts
push and push 'til it hurts

Prof. Crocodile

I just listened to a Youtube playlist of Matthew Good and yeah he's pretty good

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

op just remember when it's getting hard to listen to just push and push and push 'til it hurts

so props to wonderful SA user Polsy and their wonderful internet tools... through which I discovered that basically half of the links I've been posting are Canada restricted:

:stare:

I just went through and fixed the Ghetto Astronauts posts. Gonna fix the Underdogs post real quick then post my thoughts on it.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I just listened to a Youtube playlist of Matthew Good and yeah he's pretty good

hell yah, friend!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

when it comes to this band i got me a love and it's so bad... it's so bad...

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
Also, found a site that has the Apparitions music video, woo!

http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/video-apparitions.php

The music video is about various people going about their evening in a Vancouver office building. Matthew Good plays the janitor, Geoff Lloyd is the other janitor, Dave Genn is the businessman in the elevator... I think Ian Browne is the businessman who snorts coke in the bathroom but it doens't look a lot like him... hmm...

anyways, i like the continuity between this video and Rico. i would get why Good's janitor is going out on town to blow off some steam after seeing the dead body of a man shot in the head. also the call girl who kills the CEO appears to show up partway through.

Video for Rico: http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/video-rico.php

Indestructible and Everything Is Automatic are unrelated:

Indestructible video: http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/video-indestructible.php
Everything is Automatic video: http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/video-everythingisautomatic.php

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
Re-impressions of Underdogs:

• Deep Six - Dug this song as a teen. Thought it was needlessly heavy and aimless and an older hipster teen trying to distance himself from mainstream stuff. But you know what? Listening to it now I've come back to it. The open riff is awesome. I dig the repeated "I dunno"s in the chorus (with the "pretend you know" response). Fun to sing along to. Solid solo too. All round good song. Excellent start to the ablum.
  • Everything is Automatic - Still loving rules. Helluva opening to hook you in, both guitars. Shouting "Everybody's alright" at live shows were always highlights for me (I think I've seen Good and his band a dozen times now). Browne's drumming on this track loving rules. The kick-kick-snare hit during the chorus always gets me. Awesome song. New Age Soldier indeed.
  • Apparitions - Solid song. It's always been solid. Like I said, it's basically THE single. I think it was one of the first MGB songs I learned to play on guitar. Great alternative rock ballad all around. It is still definitely overplayed for me. I have heard it a million times. Great song, but I'm ready to skip to another.

That said, it makes a great acoustic track. I used to have this CFOX compilation lying around that has an acoustic cover of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICfBxekXySk
    Don't have it anymore... lost in a move. But I kept it around years just for this track of Good and Genn jamming out acoustically.
  • My out of style is coming back: I always dug the droning bass of this song. One of the first songs I learned on bass. Hell, Geoff Lloyd's bass playing on Matthew Good Band is one of the reasons I learned the bass guitar. I always loved the way the balanced bass in MGB mixes. I often try to emulate MGB bass in my own music. That said, this song is only just fine. It hasn't aged along with me and it's just kind of "fine" now.
  • Strangest one of All: Haha, I forgot this song existed. I was surprised when it came on as I was relistening to the album. Even now I almost forgot to give it a bold and a bullet point. Listening to it now, I did the chorus but... I don't much care for the verse. So I just instinctively want to skip it when it starts playing.
  • Middle Class Gangsters: Hmm, I never really cared much for this song when I was younger and it's still not really doing for me. It's fine. An acceptable MGB filler song.
  • Rico: This one's a strange one for me. Loved it as a teenager. Often blasted it. It's fast and punchy. But it doesn't really do it for me anymore. Maybe I overplayed it for myself? Of the four singles, it doesn't have the energy of Everything is Automatic, it lacks the ballad power for Apparitions, and it doesn't have the quirkiness of Indestructible. Ah well.

One thing I noticed on this relisten, is there's a weird distorted doubling of vocals on the line "Buy the rights to endless love." MGB are no strangers to doubling of vocals... it gets used a lot. Like in the ending to Prime Time Deliverance. I am just surprised I never noticed it here. It's very faint. Caught me off guard... thought something was going on with my headphones.

Also, fun fact: "This was filmed at the Drink Cabaret in downtown. The street right in front of the club is a one-way street, Matthew is driving up the wrong way."

Also, apparently Good hates this song.
  • Prime Time Deliverance: Holy poo poo. This song. Friends, I love this song. This may be my fav MGB song of all time. Doing this Let's Listen has me thinking that Prime Time Deliverance is the logical conclusion of Last of the Ghetto Astronaut's sound. It's long and ballady, super 90s in its complaints about the superficialness of the modern world, and has Genn just givin'er on that loving organ. Man, the organ rules on this track. Hooooleee poo poo when that chorus kicks in. And then Browne comes in with that ride snare? :drat:

It's all good. The lyrics? The instrumentation? I vaguely remember once reading an interview where they wanted this to be a single but it was deemed too long. Ah well. So it goes.

Top tier track, though. I highly recommend if you're only going to listen to one song from this album, that it's Prime Time Deliverance.
  • The Inescapable Us This song really feels like a b-side. It's fine. It's okay. It's not Good's best solo tracks... as his solo career would later prove.
  • Indestructible - Used to love the hell out of this song as a teen, just like Rico. Couldn't get enough of the bass. But like Rico I think I burnt myself out on overplaying it when younger... it's not doing much for me now.
  • Invasion 1: I overlooked this soon a lot as a teen... would skip it because of the discordant opening... but I eventually grew to dig it because of the rad chorus. Still dig it now. But I was blown away when I looked up the lyrics. The line "built to be seen just crazy" in the first verse? I always thought it was "built in BC, just crazy" and would feel mad patriotic for my home province... but... it seems I've been mistaken for years now, haha.

Still love the lines:
    "Down a hole with the Grinch's antler dog
    And Yukon Cornelius
    When I'm sober I need this"
  • Look Happy it's the end of the world - I don't really care for this song. Never did. Feels like another song that could've been a single for a lesser band but is instead just a middling MGB track. It's got good energy, but doesn't do it for me.
  • Change of Season - I like this song a lot. Good low key track. The guitars are great in it. Excellent end to an album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
Phew, work kicked my butt the last week and I got super busy. I've since snuck ahead onto the next MGB album, Beautiful Midnight, and was getting all ready to post my impressions of it when I realized I hadn't given a final verdict on Underdogs! I'll keep it brief since I want to make the next post...

But in short, I still dig Underdogs! I would've given it a harder rating years ago, but after sleeping on it for so long and ocming back to it, i really like it! it's got some great tracks on here. And ones that I thought i'd worn out for myself, like Deep Six, have regrown on me. It's not quite perfect, imo. there are enough valleys amongst the hills that I'd downgrade it to merely "pretty drat good".

So Underdogs, I award you three our of four Underdogs: