Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Will putting a NVME SSD in a PCIe adapter affect its speed?

I have a motherboard with an M.2 slot, but I'm missing the hold-down screws that keep the SSD in place so I bought at PCIe adapter to mount it. I'm wondering if it'll affect the speed of the drive. Will it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It would depend mainly on the bandwidth/throughput of the PCIe slot itself.

Check the motherboard manual for the M.2 specifications and the PCIe specifications. And the adapter card itself should mention its capabilities as well. If they're all rated for certain speeds then any difference (between using the card and plugging directly into the motherboard) should be negligible.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 6, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Why can’t you just buy new screws?

Not being obtuse, just know that I have a ton of small to medium screws in an old tobacco tin leftover from decades of hardware and pc parts. Then you wouldn’t have to worry, unless I completely missed your reasoning (which is totally possible; I’m not very bright at all 😜).

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It won't as long as it 4 lanes. Duct tape works too. Tape so it's parallel to the board.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The screws for the M.2 slot are these weird ones that are specific to this application. In my two mayo jars of PC screws I have not a single one like this.

As it turns out I did order new screws and they’re on their way.

I ask more because I plan on building a NVMe -based SAN at some point and plan on having a couple of PCIe slots stuffed with adapters. I am testing because I am wondering about the performance hit.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I think they're like m1 or m1.5 @ 2mm long. Would be a good idea to check if you're going to use a lot of em.

MacBook pro 2016+ mb screws work in case you were curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

As mentioned above, check the ratings on the adapter card but unless you’re doing something that’s very disk intensive like high-end video editing you’re not really going to notice a difference. Screws are cheap