Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the weird things about KotOR 2 was that they took a bunch of the Revan faces from KotOR 1 to use as the faces for miners in Peragus, so it's weird to see your old player character as some new jerk who has to die horribly.

CptAwesome posted:

Someone did an LP of the 2nd one where he goes over cut content and expands on the story. It's such a shame they rushed it because it could have been so good :smith:

A lot of that content was restored by modders and that was added into many currently sold versions of the game, but I feel like on top of the content that was cut, the whole game could've used a lot of finishing polish that it didn't get.

Admiralty Flag posted:

(K2-S0 is the second-best protocol droid in Star Wars and yes I know it's a "strategic analysis" droid or whatever but it's obviously meant to be a reimagined C3P0.)

I always felt like it was weird that the movie absolutely at no point shows that model of droid doing whatever work it's intended to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there's definitely an implication that people can be saved from the dark side in the same way that they can fall from the light side, but it ain't easy, and you'll lose a lot of your expertise.

Even pulling back from the idea of the force itself being a sentient slippery slope that pushes people to extremes (which I never really liked much since it kinda robs characters of their own agency), if you just look at characters who are really into hurting people and embracing their spur of the moment emotions, it'd be extremely easy for them to go on their own to do a lot more hurting people for very bad reasons, and you can't just undo that once it's been done.

Kreia also does a lot of mystery box-style stuff when she's talking about Revan, and a lot of people got grumpy about the Old Republic coming up to dumb answers to her enticing questions, but not enough people get angry at the person who sets up the unanswerable mystery box. The one line I remember really feeling was bullshit at the time was when she was talking about "have u ever wondered why Revan surrounded himself with droids" and I just thought "well obviously if you've got a massive superpowered factory, you're gonna be able to create more droids than people". It just felt dumb.

Although maybe it was also because Bioware wanted to put more weight on the destroy droid ability for balancing the game and not giving players the chance to invest into totally worthless skills.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really should try playing that MMO sometime while it still properly exists and I don't need to jump through a bunch of potentially illegal hoops.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

reignofevil posted:

She wanted to make a 'wound in the force' not dissimilar to the wound created by this one really nasty battle where lots of heroes on both sides died.

The both sides being the brutal Mandalorians who were ravaging the Republic and Revan's army that after winning would go on to ravage the Republic.

Up Circle posted:

Meanwhile, Sion is almost totally irrelevant to the bigger plot and to Kreia's force wound plan but we know all about his mommy issues and why he had to be a sith lord because kreia didn't hug him enough, and he is constantly showing up like the Exile's nemesis.

Sion is Kreia's failed student because he got hosed up so bad that he users the force to stay alive and Kreia despises that kind of handout. Also he probably wouldn't be too keen on killing the force itself.

He still shows up like a dork at Kreia's secret sith school because after the bigger, badder Sithlord got beaten, he knows he ain't got poo poo and just decides to go back to being a hanger-on.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Might as well post this here.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-21-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-developed-by-aspyr
https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-reportedly-coming-from-port-studio-aspyr
https://www.inverse.com/gaming/kotor-remake-release-date-developer-aspyr-rumors-star-wars-rpg
https://wccftech.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-will-be-an-action-rpg-rumor/
https://www.pcgamer.com/knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-reportedly-in-development-at-aspyr/

Basically there's been confirmation that somebody is working on a KOTOR remake, and there's rumors going on about it. One rumor is that it'll be an action RPG, which I gotta say, if they change anything, the battle system is the part of the game that slows down the game the most. At the very least, it'd be nice if the whole thing was sped up a lot. I actually really like how some areas in the game can have a nice, slow atmosphere, but just like how it's nice to slow down, you gotta speed things up now and then.

KOTOR 2 had a lot of differences in design philosophy and pacing, but it definitely did have the intention to speed things up in at least one aspect. They took the deep-sea-diving suit from the first game and sped up the walkcycle so it looked goofy but at least didn't take forever to get anywhere.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always get confused because the actual tutorial is you playing as T3 on the Ebon Hawk. Paragus has a couple tutorial screens, but really by that point the story's started. It's just frustrating because of how one of the biggest appeals of KOTOR 1 was being in a big world where you could talk to people and deal with them, while Paragus wants to show off the dungeoncrawling and log-reading aspect of RPGs, which is definitely not what I like about RPGs. Peragus may also be the longest dungeon in the series. It's built around a whole slow suspense story, which is neat, but it loses a lot of its appeal on replaying and it's just not what you expect going in, so it's hard to appreciate fully on the first go.

It doesn't help that Telos is pretty reminiscent of Taris, prompting the comparison of Peragus with the Endar Spire. I guess the pacing is sort of like if Dantooine came before Taris, but also if there were no shops and everyone on the planet was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

People do seem to forget too much that aliens, spaceships, and laser guns can be really cool without making all events center around the mystic monastic order of psychics.

My first thought when I heard the title for the upcoming episode 7 was "they're gonna focus too much on the intrinsically unexplainable mysticism of the force and that's gonna drag down the story", and I was sorta right, although there was also a running B plot involving the rest of the galaxy but it was never really fleshed out well.

The stories that focus on Jedi do best when they treat them as a person first and a Jedi second anyways.