Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending

Grimey Drawer

Kreia is HK-47 with more words and less enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm with you, right up until "their ability to inspire betterment in flawed humanity."

I disagree with the notion that humanity and human nature (and whatever analog fits any alien species) is something to "rise above" because it is so naturally flawed that it will, unchecked, default to a state of corruption/suffering/evil. Defining humanity and human nature by the exceptional outliers, and not the mean and median, could lead one to think that humanity trends towards evil. I would argue the fact that it takes such dedicated evil, to the point of it be nearly comical in unrelenting practice, to create an environment of corruption/suffering/evil is evidence that humanity and human nature usually trends towards good. I'd even argue the concept of "The Force" is a stand in for the concept of "humanity". That it is the power that is between the connections between living beings (and inanimate objects, so noted by Yoda) is the power that Jedi and Sith tap into. Even if we considered that human nature was a net negative, negative "behaviors" such as but not limited to lust, fear, and guilt are not behaviors that are beneficial to a Sith, nor are they for a Jedi.

Not to go tit for tat, but I'd like to refer to your own example of Han Solo. Certainly Luke and Leia made a character impact on him, but also bear in mind that Luke and Leia at that point weren't Jedi. Obi-wan was the only Jedi in that group, and Obi-wan was pretty disinterested in engaging with Solo beyond the contractual negotiations of getting to Alderaan and making sure Solo didn't do anything to endanger the mission. It's not like Solo got a conscience call from Obi-wan after the Jedi was struck down. And let's also not forget the influencing factor of Chewie, his partner in crime. The people best in place to influence Solo and cared for him most, were in fact not Jedi, but either "normal" people or at the most force sensitive.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I would allow this if it was more Stimpirical.