Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Like the title say, what calibres do you shoot?
Please refrain from the "WELL , there are numerous CALIBRES and you SHOULD be asking what CARTRIDGES".
Thanks, but you know what I'm referring to.

I'm curious as to what sort of stuff people in this large and diverse group of people here are actually shooting and for what purpose (hunting, target, cowboy action etc) and why you use that particular round. Is it cheap? Is it a super accurate round for like 1000 yard target shooting? Will it put a soccer ball sized hole through a cape buffalo?

I'm not looking for the next thing for me, aside from I want "one of everything", nor am I looking to start arguments on whats best for what purpose. I don't care if .280 ackley improved has slightly better somethings than 7mm Remington or whatever the gently caress. No judgments on what people use and why they use it for whatever, unless someone here is talking about moose hunting with a .17hmr or something completely stupid/illegal.

I just want to hear about:
What: Is it common? Uncommon? Obsolete?

For what: Hunting, home defense, cowboy action, precision etc...

Why: Why did you choose (particular round)

How much: Is an afternoon at the range measured in dollars? Hundreds of dollars?

If its uncommon, expensive, or obsolete: Do you reload to keep costs down, or because factory load are hard to find or nonexistent?

I'm particularly interested in hearing about any exotic, obscure rounds, obsolete or wild cat stuff that any of you use. Keeping in mind of course, that what some might consider obscure, others might be all like "man thats available in like every convenience store in (state, province, country etc)". But I'm willing to hear about even the most common stuff that everyone and their unborn children shoot too.

I'll start, even though what I have is neither interesting, nor uncommon.

Shotguns:
12 gauge and 20 gauge. I pretty much use it for trap shooting and if I ever get off my rear end and stop being lazy, I'll probably use them both for hunting too. Obviously pretty cheap, like here in Canada, I can pick up a flat of target shells for about 80 bucks +/- taxes in.

Rifles:
My powder burning rifle experience is limited, and by that I mean non-existent. The club that I currently shoot at, which is closed due to the plague only has trap fields and an archery/air rifle range so I need to find a place to shoot some powder burners but I recently picked up a Savage MKii in .22lr, which is of course, cheap as hell even here in Canadastan, and plentiful. I plan to use it for plinking, and building some rifle skills on the cheap. Maybe some small game hunting too.

Also a while back I picked up a Savage Axis in 6.5mm Creedmoor. I was planning on getting the same gun in .223 but I decided that 6.5 was a bit more versatile of a round for bigger stuff, while not being too much for smaller game. Whereas the .223 is generally considered too small for even white tail deer. Its a pretty popular round for those that haven't noticed, and available in many places, but not particularly cheap. About the best I've found at regular price is 31.99 + tax for a 20 round box. This one, once I build up some skills, I'm hoping to use for medium to large game hunting. Its supposed to be good for game up to Moose and Black bear in size.

Air guns. I've got a .177 rifle that I've had since the early 90s that barely works, a .22 that I got several years ago that helped boot me in the rear end to get my PAL and my brother got me a Co2 powered air pistol for christmas a few years back. BBs and pellets are obviously cheap as hell and I use these for target only, as they're "non-pal" rated guns (less than 500FPS muzzle velocity).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I probably have one of the lowest round counts in the forums over the past three years due to health (loving lockdowns) and budget. But it's not always been that way for me. When the world untucks itself, I'm a guy who tries to shoot once a month.

My main use with guns is CCW. Almost all my pistols can be pressed into CCW duty. I don't leave the house without carrying, unless I'm going to the hospital. Because of this, I tend towards shooting carry calibers + a lot of 22.

I really like commonality between guns, so all I need at the gun range is 22, 380, 9mm, and 38 special. When I buy a new gun, I try to keep it to these calibers.

One of my main carry platforms is the Kel Tec P3AT/LCP patterned guns, which I think of as micro pistols. Shooting these guns takes a lot of work. They don't really have sights and are extremely hard to control. With this is mind, I'm trying to put a minimum of 50 rounds through these guns, 100 if I have the ammo. It's loving punishing, but there is a knack to it. I dislike hearing these guns described as intrinsically bad. They serve an extremely specific purpose - deep carry. Unless you are somewhere prohibited, these guns can be carried in a speedo. Being proficient in a micro gun means you're always carrying, which is the goal with CCW. A gun you keep on you 100% of the time beats the hell out of the 3K 1911 you only carry in winter months with a heavy jacket.

Average range trip -

50-100 - 380
100-200+ - 9mm
50 - 38 special
However much 22 I feel like shooting. I'm going to ballpark that at "A Lot"

Cost -

In Nashville - $15 for a range lane + 4-5 50 round boxes of ammo
In Portland - Range Membership + $25 a lane + $4 outside ammo fee per 50 rounds. Yeah, it hurts.

Goals - I've been receiving instruction over the lockdown a couple times a month and hope to attend some in person classes post lockdown. Eventually, I want to do some competitions for fun.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

.223 - for several ARs. Pre-pandemic/election this seemed like a good idea since it's a very common caliber. Ultimately I just use it for target shooting, or shooting steel. Originally set up one for home defense, one for precision/DMR, and a m4ish thing with a carry handle thing for fun. Ultimately I just blast them out in the desert with my declining supply of steel case ammo, cause that's what I could afford in the before times. I realize now that what I have is pretty useless for my DMR build since the groups are pretty terrible on that upper. I'll probably just lock them away when I finally get through all the ammo. I used to go through around 200 rounds a trip, though I've been more sparing recently, making less trips to the desert and shooting less when I get there.

7.62x39 - for my CZ 527 bolty boi. I probably go through 30-50 rounds per trip. Similar situation to the above, a common, relative cheap and available caliber pre-pandemic. Currently using up my declining supply of steel case ammo bought before the pandemic. Target shooting.

.44 and .50 cal black powder - for my target shooting with my cap and ball black powder pistols. CPR is probably relatively high relative to center-fire cartridges normally, but not so bad right now. I have a whole bunch of caps and powder, and only go through 30ish round balls each trip, since loading the things takes awhile. I probably enjoy shooting these the most.

22 cal air gun pellets - For target shooting. By far the cheapest, also very enjoyable going through 50 rounds in a backyard shooting session. At 500 pellets of the fanciest brand for ~$20, can't be beat.

There are lots of other calibers I'd like to try shooting, like getting a precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor, but that'll be post-pandemic goals. I should probably get more proficient with the guns I have though. I bought 22lr upper for my ARs that I have yet to try, and a .69 cal flintlock musket I want to get working.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hoo boy.

.223 - ARs, Sig556. I reload this because I'm cheap, last time I did the math it was at ~$30 cpr. I could go cheaper but I user nicer projectiles than wolf so it's a wash. Really not saving money, just shooting nicer ammo.

.308, .30-06, 7.62x54r, 8mm Mauser, .303 British, 7.7 Japanese, .30 Carbine, .32 Remington, 7.5 Swiss, add 7 mm Mauser to that list soon once my dies get here - I reload all of these because I'm cheap. CPR is around ~$.20-40 depending on if i'm reusing brass.

8.15x46r (old German target round. The only way to get this is to make it myself, a process that involves reforming .30-30 brass and turning down the rims. CPR is cheap as gently caress, I'd ballpark it at $.20, but making those loving cases is time intensive.

11mm Mauser - have the components, haven't started yet because Covid, but this fucker costs like $5 a cartridge if you just buy it so gently caress that noise I'm making my own. I suspect it will be around $.50 per once I get it up and running, not counting brass costs . loving brass is like $3 each so that poo poo better last for a few loadings.

.22LR - I buy it by the thousand when it's cheap. I'm gonna say like $.15/rd?

9mm, .38spcl, .45 ACP - I buy all those when I see them cheap. Saving the brass, I'll get to reloading eventually, but I rarely shoot pistols so I'm kinda fine with that right now.

I really feel like I'm forgetting a cartridge or two.

Cost? Probably $30 per trip if I'm going through ~100 rounds of whatever. Plus the ~$200 annual fee at my club. The reality with reloading is you don't really save any money, you just shoot more.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

22 - Whenever I get stressed out at work, as much as I want in the back yard.

Literally everything else is just hanging out in I'm-too-cheap-to-shoot-it limbo. I've got a closet full of ammo but I'm sticking to my not shooting guns.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Like most people, .22 lr is my mainstay. I have a revolver, semi and multiple rifles chambered in it. I recently started buying nicer quality ammo for my better guns and it's made a big difference.

Pistol - Mostly either 9mm (Just bulk federal, brass cased) or .45 acp. I recently got a turret press so I've been cranking out .45 seadily. I also shoot a bit of .38 spl and .357, but most of the .38 ends up going to my father because his revolver is the only gun he really loves to shoot.

Rifle - I reload all my rifle rounds, mostly .223 for my ACR and SL8. Next would be .303 British followed by a lot of common milsurp calibers. 8mm mauser, 6.5x55, 6.5 Carcano, 8mm Lebel, etc. I probably don't shoot enough to cover the cost of dies, components, etc. but I like having control over it and knowing exactly what I'm shooting, especially in my old rifles.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I shoot a ton of different calibers but the one that I will continue to champion is .357 SIG. I like it for a lot of reasons - itís a 9 mm bullet so there are plenty of good bullet designs available; itís a bottleneck case so it tends to feed more reliably under adverse conditions or in dirty guns; velocity is the biggest determining factor in hollow point performance, and .357 has velocity a-plenty (1400-1500 feet per second in most defensive loads); because of its velocity, it has a very flat trajectory (point of aim is point of impact from essentially zero yards to about 150 in most handguns); it has an excellent record in real-world shootings even before the current era of top-notch computer-designed projectiles; itís essentially a 9mm bullet in a necked-down .40 case so most .40 guns can easily be converted; it has less felt recoil than .40 in comparable power factors; and even though itís sort of an appeal to authority, Jim Cirillo said right before he died that if he had to choose only one handgun to carry for gunfighting it would be a Glock in .357 SIG.

As to cost, before the panic practice ammo was about sixty cents a round and defensive ammo was over a dollar a round. But I could always find it at Walmart because Iím the only weirdo in this town who shoots it.

And I do reload for it. Cost is just a little more than 9mm; youíre using the same primers and bullets, and about twenty percent more powder.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 7, 2021

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

Balloon Time Hooray! posted:

.44 and .50 cal black powder - for my target shooting with my cap and ball black powder pistols. CPR is probably relatively high relative to center-fire cartridges normally, but not so bad right now. I have a whole bunch of caps and powder, and only go through 30ish round balls each trip, since loading the things takes awhile. I probably enjoy shooting these the most.
When shooting black powder muzzle loading gats, there is no such thing as say ".50cal, (name)" correct? Not like how we have cartridges with names like .223 Remington, .44-40 Winchester (though that did start as a black powder round IIRC) or .300 savage etc..
Back in ye olden days, a rifle was just produced as a calibre, but like not "chambered" in something?

Cyrano4747 posted:

8.15x46r (old German target round. The only way to get this is to make it myself, a process that involves reforming .30-30 brass and turning down the rims. CPR is cheap as gently caress, I'd ballpark it at $.20, but making those loving cases is time intensive.

Is .30-30 something that is common to find brass in? Like at bass pro shops or whatever, I see sometimes new, and other times "once fired" brass for certain rounds. Is that something you can get for .30-30 or do you raid the bins at the range? How long does a typical reformed case last?

mischief posted:

22 - Whenever I get stressed out at work, as much as I want in the back yard.

drat, I wish I could do that. I used to shoot my old .177 in my parents backyard when I was a kid. Sometimes out my second storey window. Even though we lived in the 'burbs, there was a big field and a bunch of woods behind the house. God, doing that poo poo now would probably get a swat team brought own on us let alone an actual .22, though I hear the subsonic rounds are pretty quiet. I still wouldn't do that unless I lived in the sticks.

AmbassadorofSodomy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 7, 2021

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

wesleywillis posted:

When shooting black powder muzzle loading gats, there is no such thing as say ".50cal, (name)" correct? Not like how we have cartridges with names like .223 Remington, .44-40 Winchester (though that did start as a black powder round IIRC) or .300 savage etc..
Back in ye olden days, a rifle was just produced as a calibre, but like not "chambered" in something?

iirc my understanding is that modern cartridges were designed (and patented) by those companies. All those cartridges have specific loadings and specs, whereas pre- brass cartridge era stuff was far less standardized. In military service you did have paper cartridges manufactured to a standard spec, though civilian hunters would be loading powder, wad, then ball or bullet and you can vary each one of those, so there's a lot of potential inconsistency. Different guns may shoot better with different powder loads, etc. So with my .44 cal revolver, I'm shooting patched round balls that are actually .451 (slightly bigger shaves off a little lead to form a better gas seal) but I might vary between 20-30 grains of FFFg powder depending on how hot I want the load to be (There are varying grades of powder too, FFF is the standard size grain for pistols generally). It's the wild west so bore size and rifling are the only things that dictate the range of stuff you can blast out of these rudimentary chunks of pipe.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

drat, I wish I could do that. I used to shoot my old .177 in my parents backyard when I was a kid. Sometimes out my second storey window. Even though we lived in the 'burbs, there was a big field and a bunch of woods behind the house. God, doing that poo poo now would probably get a swat team brought own on us let alone an actual .22, though I hear the subsonic rounds are pretty quiet. I still wouldn't do that unless I lived in the sticks.

Our last house was in a starter type suburban neighborhood and I couldn't even pull off a pellet gun in our little back yard without someone getting nosy. Our deck was visible from about 15 other houses so even cleaning rifles, etc after a legit range trip was an exercise in knowing your local law enforcement. Very annoying.

I've built a really rudimentary backstop out of the cedar trees I cut off our land at the back tree line and it does a pretty slick job. I'll shoot 223 and 308 every now and then and a surprising amount of it ends up in the dirt. There's about 250 acres of trees and hills behind our property so within reason we're pretty good to go.

I wouldn't try anything huge like 338 or 50 off the deck but that's just the wisdom of middle age accruing.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Balloon Time Hooray! posted:

So with my .44 cal revolver, I'm shooting patched round balls that are actually .451 (slightly bigger shaves off a little lead to form a better gas seal) but I might vary between 20-30 grains of FFFg powder depending on how hot I want the load to be (There are varying grades of powder too, FFF is the standard size grain for pistols generally). It's the wild west so bore size and rifling are the only things that dictate the range of stuff you can blast out of these rudimentary chunks of pipe.

Sizing can happen the other way around too. I have a pistol that's marked .50 caliber, but the balls measure at .490" and are still a very tight fit even with thin patches.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Is .30-30 something that is common to find brass in? Like at bass pro shops or whatever, I see sometimes new, and other times "once fired" brass for certain rounds. Is that something you can get for .30-30 or do you raid the bins at the range? How long does a typical reformed case last?

.30-30 is really common brass, yeah. I just buy it online.

8.15 is a really gentle target round so as far as I can tell the brass lasts functionally forever. Itís like a pistol load in a rifle. Thereís very little deformation on firing. That said Iíll probably retire them once I hit 20 loadings.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

I shoot nothing because Iíve been basically unable to get ammo lately.

Though as far as what I would shoot if I can get it, itís .223/5.56 with my Ruger, 12 gauge with my insane shotguns, 20 gauge with my sane ones, 10mm with my carbine, and 6.5 creedmor with my cheap bolt action. Adding .338 Lapua when I can finally actually buy the Ruger Precision I have on back order.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

I don't reload, but I probably should. I also haven't bought ammo that's not 17 HMR or 10MM in close to two years.

.17 HMR

What: Common.

For what: Plinking, theoretical hunting.

Why: It's a fast, flat shooting round that can hit up to 200 yards without really trying.

How much: Probably $0.20-30/pr.

.22 Short/Long/LR

For what: Plinking.

Why: My first handgun and my fire rifle were in .22 LR. Everyone should have a variety of .22's because they're cheap and they're fun. .22 Short in a tube magazine is a lot of fun, too.

How much: Back in the good old days it was like $0.08/pr.

.22 WMR

For what: Plinking.

Why: Shooting .22 WMR out of a single shot break action makes for some great Zen moments.

How much: $12 per box of 50.

.223/5.56

For what: Plinking, Self-Defense, Hunting

Why: It's fun out of a bolt action, it's fun out of a semi-auto and it's cheap for centerfire.

How much: Back in the good old days it was about what .17 HMR goes for now.

5.7x28mm

What: Uncommon.

For what: Plinking, Self-Defense, CCW

Why: The Five-seveN is a lot of fun and is ridiculously comfortable (yes, I EDC'd one for two years).

How much: $22 for a box of 50 was a good price.

.38 Special/.357 Magnum

What: Common

For what: Plinking, Cowboy guns.

Why: YEE-HAW!

How much: $18 for a box of 50.

9mm

For what: Plinking, Self-Defense, CCW

Why: FMJ is cheap to shoot, HP has good terminal ballistics.

How much: $15 for a box of $50 for range ammo?

.40 S&W

For what: Plinking, Self-Defense, CCW.

Why: My first centrefire handgun was in this. People who claim it is hard to control have weak hands and dishonor their ancestors.

How much: $18 for a box of 50?

10MM

For what: Plinking, Bear

Why: Bear.

How much: $22 for a box of 50 FMJ.

.308 Win/7.62 NATO

For what: Plinking, Precision, Self-Defense, Hunting

Why: Big boom, good range, good power. Fun out of a single shot, bolt action, lever action, pump action, or semi-auto.

How much: Stocked up at around $0.50/pr.

.44 Special/.44 Magnum

For what: Plinking, Cowboy guns, hunting

Why: It's fun out of a revolver, it's fun out of a rifle. It's just fun.

How much: $0.40/pr

.45 ACP

For What: Plinking, Self-Defense, CCW

Why: Everyone needs a 1911.

How much: $20 for a box of $50

12 Gauge

For what: Skeet, trap, hunting, self-defense.

Why: Have single shot, pump action, and semi auto shotguns. All are fun in their own ways.

How much: Depends on the type of ammo, but birdshot was fairly cheap.

I Demand Food fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 9, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

.22lr quickly fell off because I didn't have a platform for it aside from club rentals. I'll pick it up when the pandemic is over and I can train new shooters.

9mm because 10mm was far too expensive for a first gun, and remains so for any gun. Also that idea for a first gun was the Glock 20 so I dodged a massive own-goal. I settled on a top-tier metal frame 9mm, but for the money I could have done better.

.45ACP because I got a deal on a stand-in for the gun I really wanted, and because we're capped at 10rd mags anyway. Now that I'm getting said gun I really wanted, ask me this again in a year after I'm paying double for my practise ammo over 9mm.

I don't own any long guns, but if I did I'd only shoot NATO stuff because everything else is obscenely expensive and I puke a little at the thought of buying Chinese milsurp. And 12ga buckshot / slugs I guess, since an M4 would be nice.

gently caress reloading - I'm in an apartment and don't need that filth anywhere near my eating / cooking space.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 9, 2021

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

I have a large variety, but nothing too interesting. My main calibers by usage are probably 22 LR, 9x19mm, 38 Special, 5.56x45, and 7.62x39. I have some reloading gear but I don't reload anything right now because I have more money than time, but I save all my reloadable brass for when I start. There are a few calibers that I definitely should start reloading sooner rather than later because they're low volume/high cost for me.

.22LR - rifles, pistols, and revolvers. I chose it for plinking, cheap practice, and fun suppressed shooting.

.32 ACP - range use. I bought a few C&R handguns that are chambered in .32 so I keep some in hand, maybe one day they'll make a .32 LCP II

.380 ACP - Defensive use and practice. I mostly have .380 for my LCP II so that I can have a really small and light gun for when I want that.

9x18mm Makarov - similar to .32 ACP, I have few C&R handguns so I keep some on hand for range use

7.62 Tokarev - Same as .32 ACP and 9 Mak, I have an M57 and a Norinco TT33 copy so I keep some 7.62 Tok around for the range.

38 special - Range and defensive use. I like old S&W revolvers, naturally a lot of them are chambered in this cartridge so I have a lot if it. I have a couple that I carry from time-to-time. I need to pick up a 357/38 lever gun... Of note, I do have to keep some wadcutters around for m;y S&W 52-1. I don't reload because I have more money than time, but that may change one day. I'll probably start reloading some of the expensive oddballs like this one.

9x19mm - range, practice, and defense. I mostly carry 9mm so I have a lot for practice and defensive use. Once upon a time, it was the cheapest centerfire ammo commonly available so that was another reason to stock up on it. Also fun to shoot with big and heavy handguns and PCCs. It also suppresses well, which is nice.

357 Sig - Range use these days, I probably won't buy anymore once I've shot up my existing stock. My first handgun was an M&P in 357 Sig because I'd convinced myself it was the ideal carry caliber/gun combo. Fun to shoot though, lots of blast and flash.

40 S&W - Range and defensive use I suppose. I picked up a couple of handguns in 40 because they were too cheap to pass up, that's the only reason I have any 40.

45 ACP - Range and potentially defensive use. I have a couple of 1911s and a H&K USP 45 tactical. I used to carry a 1911 and I do keep around some defensive ammo, but this is mostly for the range these days. Suppresses alright, not as well as 9mm but most rounds are subsonic which is nice

357 Magnum - Range and defensive use. I have a couple of 357s I could carry, but this is mostly a range caliber for me that I occasionally put through some of my 357 revolvers for a little extra fun.

44 Magnum - Defensive use - My hiking gun is a S&W 69 (nice). This is another one I'll probably reload for one day, at least for practice ammo. Fun to shoot at the range, for a little while at least.

30 Carbine - Range use - I have an M1 Carbine so I keep some 30 Carbine around for it.

.45-70 - Range/defensive/hunting use - Mostly for the range/fun, though I sometimes bring it when camping in certain areas for big critters and I suppose I could hunt with it if I needed to. If I ever get roped into hunting, I'll probably pick something else up. This is definitely one I should reload for, very pricey.

5.45x39 - Range use. I have an Arsenal SLR-104fr, so I keep some 5.45 around. Fun shooter, I'd like to pick up another 5.45 AK some day, maybe do an SBR.

5.56x45 - Range and defensive use. Used to be fairly cheap, light recoil, large selection/availability of ammo, and many options for firearms chambered in this caliber.

7.62x39 - Range use. I have a few AKs in this caliber, used to be pretty cheap so I keep a fair amount around for the range.

7.62x51 - Range use. I have a couple of battle rifles so I keep some of this on-hand for them.

7.62x54R - Range use. Like everyone else, I have an M91-30 that I bought cheap eons ago. I wish I had picked up some of the carbines and finnish guns when they were cheap. Live and learn, I don't pass up cheap imports when they show up now.

30-06 - Range use. I have an M1 Garand, I need .30-06 to feed it at the range.

12 Gauge - Range and defensive use. I have a few 12 GA shotguns, one of which is for busting clays and another that I have set up for defensive use. I suppose I could also hunt with the clays gun if I ever got into that.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

Shumagorath posted:

.45ACP because I got a deal on a stand-in for the gun I really wanted, and because we're capped at 10rd mags anyway. Now that I'm getting said gun I really wanted, ask me this again in a year after I'm paying double for my practise ammo over 9mm.

Is .45 acp the one that can *technically* be used in a .410 shotgun?

BadgerMan45 posted:

38 special - Range and defensive use. I like old S&W revolvers, naturally a lot of them are chambered in this cartridge so I have a lot if it. I have a couple that I carry from time-to-time. I need to pick up a 357/38 lever gun... Of note, I do have to keep some wadcutters around for m;y S&W 52-1. I don't reload because I have more money than time, but that may change one day. I'll probably start reloading some of the expensive oddballs like this one.

357 Magnum - Range and defensive use. I have a couple of 357s I could carry, but this is mostly a range caliber for me that I occasionally put through some of my 357 revolvers for a little extra fun.

drat! Thats a lot of variety. Same question as above, but with the .38spl and .357 magnum. Are they not interchangeable in some way?
I seem to recall something like one can be used in both guns but the other one can't be used in the other guns? Kinda like how .223 and 5.56 are identical, except for the loading pressures or something? So you can use a .223 cartridge in a 5.56, but *shouldn't* use it the other way around?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

I doubt you could actually get it to run in any old .410, I also wouldn't recommend it because you could create a dangerous situation due to the higher pressures generated by .45 ACP. There are guns that you can shoot .45 Colt and .410 out of (like the Taurus Judge). Of course you run into issues with the rifling, you have to find a sweet spot where it stabilizes a .45 Colt bullet but doesn't scatter shot.

drat! Thats a lot of variety. Same question as above, but with the .38spl and .357 magnum. Are they not interchangeable in some way?
I seem to recall something like one can be used in both guns but the other one can't be used in the other guns? Kinda like how .223 and 5.56 are identical, except for the loading pressures or something? So you can use a .223 cartridge in a 5.56, but *shouldn't* use it the other way around?

Yeah, 357 is basically a souped-up 38 special, much higher pressures so significantly more powerful and a slightly lengthened case to prevent 357 cartridges from being accidentally inserted into a gun chambered in 38. Generally speaking, you can shoot 38 in any gun chambered for 357, but not the other way around (for length and safety reasons). There may be feed/cycling issues with 38 in some guns that are chambered for 357, such as lever guns or semi-autos due to the shorter length in the former case and the decreased power in latter. I actually could have put 44 Special on here as well, since I do have some for my .S&W 69. 44 Special is to 44 Magnum as 38 Special is to 357 Magnum. Who said learning analogies was only useful for the SATs?

There are many cartridges that have similar relationships since most cartridges are modifications of existing ones. The 5.56/2.23 case is a bit different, it has to do with a difference in chamber dimensions that can cause 5.56 cartridges fired in a gun chambered for .223 to develop excessive pressure. As such, you shouldn't fire 5.56x45mm cartridges out of a gun chambered in .223 to be safe. Here's an explanation https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/5-56-vs-223/.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

I believe that's .45 Colt, which is a longer and rimmed revolver round. That was the Taurus Judge's crossover, anyway.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

BadgerMan45 posted:

Yeah, 357 is basically a souped-up 38 special, much higher pressures so significantly more powerful and a slightly lengthened case to prevent 357 cartridges from being accidentally inserted into a gun chambered in 38. Generally speaking, you can shoot 38 in any gun chambered for 357, but not the other way around (for length and safety reasons). There may be feed/cycling issues with 38 in some guns that are chambered for 357, such as lever guns or semi-autos due to the shorter length in the former case and the decreased power in latter. I actually could have put 44 Special on here as well, since I do have some for my .S&W 69. 44 Special is to 44 Magnum as 38 Special is to 357 Magnum. Who said learning analogies was only useful for the SATs?

There are many cartridges that have similar relationships since most cartridges are modifications of existing ones. The 5.56/2.23 case is a bit different, it has to do with a difference in chamber dimensions that can cause 5.56 cartridges fired in a gun chambered for .223 to develop excessive pressure. As such, you shouldn't fire 5.56x45mm cartridges out of a gun chambered in .223 to be safe. Here's an explanation https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/5-56-vs-223/.

Also, shooting .38 Special before .357 Mag or .44 Special before 44 Mag a lot without cleaning can cause build up in the chamber that can lead to reliability or extraction problems.

There's also a pressure difference between 7.62 NATO and .308 WIN such that some guns in 7.62 are not safe to fire .308 out of.

Also, I just took a look at current ammo prices and lol at the idea of me ever going to a range again.

No_talent
Jul 29, 2009

Canada, so hunting and sport shooting, with a touch of wildlife control

22LR - mainly just plinking. We've been looking at precision rimfire. A could Savage MK II, a Henry levergun and a Wrangler SA revolver (range only). Occasionally we help out our friends at their farms/ranches when the gophers or rabbits get real bad need a cull.

7.62x39/54R/25 - old Soviet range toys. (Mosin, SKS, TT-33)

5.56/.223- range and coyotes on the above listed farms and working towards competition(A non-banned-non-restricted-not-an-AR-15)

12 Ga - birds, clays and I use a 12 gauge at work to deal with nuisance wildlife. (Mossberg 500 with a couple barrels)

9mm. Pistols are range only. I pretty much only shoot at steel plates because it's fun. (High Power mkII clone)

This spring we'll be getting :

7mm-08 : wifes deer gun. (Ruger American Compact)

.308 : hunting big animals for their big meat. Deer moose, elk and so on. (CZ 557 Range)

I am currently on the fence about getting an old rear end Italian Carcano in (big suprise) 6.5 x 52 Carcano, a Lee Einfield or a Ross in .303 British (), or a Schmidt-Rubin in 7.5x55. I want a straight pull because I think they are neat, and old guns are cool.

I also want a .410 for grouse, and giggles.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

No_talent posted:

Canada, so hunting and sport shooting, with a touch of wildlife control

.308 : hunting big animals for their big meat. Deer moose, elk and so on. (CZ 557 Range)

I am currently on the fence about getting an old rear end Italian Carcano in (big suprise) 6.5 x 52 Carcano, a Lee Einfield or a Ross in .303 British (), or a Schmidt-Rubin in 7.5x55. I want a straight pull because I think they are neat, and old guns are cool.

I also want a .410 for grouse, and giggles.

The CZ 557 Range is one of those guns I'd love to have but CZ sure has some ideas about what would and would not be successful in the US market.

Also, my cousin had a Carcano in admittedly rough shape but any of the others you listed would be much better and funner guns IMHO.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Get a K31 if you want to scratch that straight pull itch. Beautiful and very accurate rifles. Ammo isn't quite as prevalent as it used to be but all the Schmidt-Rubin rifles punch way over their weight class even with the more recent prices.

Out of all my WW2 era stuff that's the most consistent rifle that just makes people pause and appreciate the quality.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

I Demand Food posted:

Also, shooting .38 Special before .357 Mag or .44 Special before 44 Mag a lot without cleaning can cause build up in the chamber that can lead to reliability or extraction problems.

There's also a pressure difference between 7.62 NATO and .308 WIN such that some guns in 7.62 are not safe to fire .308 out of.

Also, I just took a look at current ammo prices and lol at the idea of me ever going to a range again.

Good points, forgot to mention 7.62. I've heard of that happening with 38/357 and such, but never experienced it myself. Could be that I just clean the chambers before they get dirty enough for that to happen, or maybe because I shoot some 357 before it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I guess it's worth mentioning that .22 LR cannot be safely fired from something chambered for the longer .22 Magnum. The latter has the same bullet diameter but a slightly larger case diameter.