Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

LargeHadron posted:

You...napped in 40F wearing a jacket?

Yes. It had a fluffy hood that worked like a decent pillow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I was once on the highway behind someone who had stopped halfway up an on-ramp and was trying to reverse down. It pretty clearly wasn't any kind of mechanical failure, just going "whoops, didn't mean to get on there!" I think about this person a lot.

I was driving down a highway on-ramp when I almost got into a head-on collision with someone who had made a u-turn to exit the highway using the on-ramp. Your brain kind of short circuits when someone is driving directly at you in a car when they aren't supposed to be, so I just pulled over and let her by before I realized that she was driving the wrong way. The driver had the dumbest loving confused look on her face when she was driving by.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I worked in student media in college and every fall there would be at least one scandal involving a death or a sexual assault by a frat. One year a pledge died after falling out of a tree in the back yard of some frat house and landing on his neck while extremely drunk. We soon discovered that the dead kid's parents had supplied all of the booze for the party that their son died at.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
People who unknowingly constantly gave money so somebody could buy a high end sports car and gourmet cookies

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

I had to take an ancient world history elective in college. We learned about ancient Mesopotamia, ancient Greece, ancient Rome, and so on. There was a solid reoccurring theme there.

I think it was right around mid-terms when a student a couple of rows behind me asked the question, "When are we going to get into U.S. history?"
Professor: "Excuse me?"
Student: "Isn't this U.S. History?"
Entire class: *gasps*
Professor: "This is ancient world history. You need to speak to your advisor right away."

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 11, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

this was a while ago and not my story, but my girlfriend at the time was working a temp job at a college bookstore. her coworkers were teenage girls.

one asked the other how much time was left, and she replied that there was an hour. the first girl sighed and said "a hundred minutes."

It sounds like a joke from a sitcom, but my ex took driver's ed late and one of the highschool girls asked how the deer know to cross specifically at deer crossing signs.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

I used to work in a grocery store, back in the dairy section. One week, I came back from my day off to find that my manager had pulled all of our product out and was powerwashing the entire dairy cooler, top to bottom.

Turns out that over the day that I was gone, the dude who was covering for me had come into work high off his rear end, stole a muffin from the bakery right in front of the bakery guy, got into a fist fight with the bakery guy over stealing this muffin, knocked over a stack of milk crates and had milk explode all over the walls and floor, accidentally sliced his own hand open with a box cutter, and got blood on the slats and a bunch of product.

Reminds me of when I worked for a pharma company that made syringes and IV bags that were shipped to hospitals same day. One of our shipping guys cut his hand and didn't notice it, getting blood on an entire box full of IV bags which they found when they opened it in the operating room. It shut down the operating room for a day while they disinfected.

Luckily that didn't make the news. The steroid treatments with fungal meningitis did when they killed a bunch of people did, however.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

illBilliam posted:

I had to take an ancient world history elective in college. We learned about ancient Mesopotamia, ancient Greece, ancient Rome, and so on. There was a solid reoccurring theme there.

I think it was right around mid-terms when a student a couple of rows behind me asked the question, "When are we going to get into U.S. history?"
Professor: "Excuse me?"
Student: "Isn't this U.S. History?"
Entire class: *gasps*
Professor: "This is ancient world history. You need to speak to your advisor right away."

I've still got Terrible Moron Student PTSD a decade after my last exam, and this story made my heart-rate increase noticeably. Aaaaaa

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

One summer in between I think my sophomore and junior years in college, one of my close friend's hometown homies visited. So, of course, we threw a rager. We were pregaming beforehand, slamming Keystone Ice and smoking blunts to the face, then we polished off a bottle of Jager. We were crossfaded as gently caress at like.. 4pm. Good times.

We stepped outside to smoke again and I brought the Jager bottle and felt the urge, as one does, to smash glass in the street. "gently caress this bottle!!" I screamed as I chucked it airborne a few stories and it smashed satisfyingly on the curb. Nice.

Little while later we decide to go to the pad where we're hosting the party, so we leave the building and start walking down the street. I see fragments of the Jager bottle in the street, but what the gently caress, a good chunk of the bottle was intact! "DOUBLE gently caress THIS BOTTLE!" I yelled, as I ran up to it, jumped as high as I could, and stomped my foot down on it. Wearing your basic Converse shoes, there was maybe a half centimeter of protection of flimsy rubber between my foot and that glass. I immediately paused and frowned, walked over and sat on the curb. Untied my shoe, took it off and turned it sideways to look inside... and blood just poured out of. Probably a good 50mL or so. Look at my foot and... yup, giant gash in it. gently caress!

We went back inside and scrambled for any kind of first aid kit, bandages, loving anything. Nope. One of the hometown friends runs into the room I'm sitting in from the kitchen and it's like "USE THIS TO PUT PRESSURE ON IT" and he handed me a slice of WonderBread.

:thunk:

Well, I do as I'm told, and press a piece of bread to my still bleeding foot wound. Maybe it helped? Dunno. Other hometown friend runs in with a sauce pot full of water and says "We need to even out the osmotic pressure, stick your foot in water, it'll slow the bleeding!" I... don't think that's accurate, but alright. Cue me sticking my foot in the pot and my wound just blossoming red everywhere with no sign of stopping. Hmm.

At that point was when we realized... why the gently caress didn't we just.. use toilet paper? So we cut a roll apart, and using duct tape made it into a sort of sandal. Success! Time to go party! And we headed out. At that point the adrenaline had worn off and even in my absolutely crunk state, that poo poo hurt. So I limped to the party, literally dragging the injured foot behind me as I couldn't put any pressure on it without my leg almost buckling. Was a great party, I got the nickname "Bloodfoot Truant" out of it, fuckin sweet.

Wake up the next morning with the worst pain ever in my foot, get taken to the emergency room. They pulled an almost 1cm² piece of green glass out of my foot.

Man, that was a summer I'll never forget.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And you still kept that foot? you lucky bastard.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

By popular demand posted:

And you still kept that foot? you lucky bastard.

Standing on it right now!

1cm² is probs a bit of an exaggeration tbh, probably 1/2cm². Still not sure how I explained the ensuing limp to my parents..

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

stab posted:

People who unknowingly constantly gave money so somebody could buy a high end sports car and gourmet cookies

Hm?

Also, how are all these hillbillies getting live mortar rounds?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's a Lowtax reference.
And yes I regret giving him money, but not for that reason.

Dr. Activisionary
Oct 20, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

He got sent home that day and was fired, and his wife who still worked at the store would never ever forgive me for "ruining" his life.

Lmao that's on him.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

PinheadSlim posted:

That reminds me actually, when I was working at that produce section job I got a pedo fired. Vaguely relevant to the thread because the guy was a complete moron, thank god, and it was super easy to get him fired.

He got the job because his wife was a low-level manager at the store, they had a kid and needed the money. On his first loving day, without ever speaking to me before, he starts talking to me about how he gets with chicks way younger than him all the time. I was 16 at the time and he must've been 30 so I figured he meant like 20-27 year olds or whatever. He even tried to show me some compromising pictures of young women he'd had sex with, but gross, no.

Anyways he says he's thinking about trying the same with a girl who works at our store, and I let him know that girl he's thinking of is only 17. He says something about not wanting to go to jail, laughing, then loving off to go back to work I thought so I did too. I take my break an hour later and in the break room is the girl, and I warn her that the new guy is super creepy and talked about her. She lets me know he literally just tried to coerce her into his truck by offering her cigarettes. She wasn't sure she should say anything but once she knew that he was totally aware of her age we immediately found our manager and explained what happened.

He got sent home that day and was fired, and his wife who still worked at the store would never ever forgive me for "ruining" his life.

Soooo the wife didn't care that he's not only trying to seduce other women, but also that he's a pedophile?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Shumagorath posted:

gently caress it's an IRL Turkey Drop

Empty Sandwich posted:

As God is my witness, I thought reindeer could fly.

i love you both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

LargeHadron posted:

Soooo the wife didn't care that he's not only trying to seduce other women, but also that he's a pedophile?

The cycle of abuse is a hell of thing.:barf: