Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

they're great at inspiring people to believe in them, over and over and over

I think credit for this belongs to the Republican Party, not the Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

It absolutely, unquestionably is. I know this because my dad is going through it.

He was mostly uninterested in politics throughout his life, but like most people he got hooked on the news cycle when Trump became president. Then he retired shortly before covid hit so being home 24/7 turned him into an MSNBC addict. Like I mean that for real. He finally admitted he had a problem to me recently. He said he watches at least 8 hours of MSNBC a day, sometimes as much as 14-16 hours. It's poisoning his brain. He cannot have a normal conversation about Trump anymore. He gets visibly upset and angry and I have to change the subject. He said he started changing the channel when they show Trump because just the sight of him makes him so mad he has to go to another room to calm down. At least he finally recognizes that this is a problem and I'm trying to get him to volunteer at an animal shelter to get him out of the house.

It's hosed up. I used to think I was so lucky to not have a Fox News parent, but instead I got one with a big Trump shaped hole in his brain. Goddamn do I loving despise MSNBC.

Same here. Any time Trump appears on television my dad starts raging out in a way that I'm concerned would get me permabanned if I made explicit. Like the fact that Trump is even alive is nails on a chalkboard to him. It's like he literally can't even control it.

My dad doesn't watch MSNBC though; his liberal media seems to be more based around members of the liberal commentariat like Charlie Pierce or Bill Maher.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KomradeX posted:

Trump will just always live in these people's heads

I imagine many of them are secretly happy about the events of 1/6, because it gives them an excuse to keep believing that Trump is still the most relevant thing and highest priority.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/1359937351212888064?s=20

life is pain and the Democrats are here to unite us with white nationalists

100 day masking challenge

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I made the mistake of clicking that video and the sound started coming out extremely loud through my speakers, nearly had a heart attack

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Y'all ungrateful rear end*es...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

jesus loving CHRIST

Need to convince Daou to reach out to Parker Molloy in this moment of weakness

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

I still don't understand why he had so much black support in the primaries, but I guess most people see things wildly different than we do.

It's not really hard to understand. Most people's opinions about politicians are based off of a vague impression of those politicians as people that they absorb from the media. Any individual facts about that politician's actions are irrelevant, because their opinion isn't based off of facts about what the politicians have actually done/said.

There's also the fact that nearly everyone over the age of ~50 or so has a profoundly different perspective in terms of the information they're exposed to. Most of the stuff we read/see because it spread through the internet is completely invisible to most older people - they only see and hear what the television chooses to discuss. And even if something like the Kamala debate moment is televised, that's just one moment amidst hours and hours of other news programming.

I'm of the opinion that Americans* of a certain age range are possibly the most thoroughly propagandized population in most of human history. I think that the existence of television makes a huge difference, because it's the first time in history that people are exposed to so much media (virtually all of which is corporate media directly acting in the interests of the wealthy and the US government, due to the restrictions of television), and that the generation(s) of people who had access to television for most of their lives and only (if ever) gained internet access at an old age were in a unique position in terms of the sheer volume of propaganda they're exposed to. With people older than that there was less ability to enforce an ideology on nearly every single topic (so you had room for stuff like people independently developing certain elements of their ideologies), and for younger people we're less likely to instinctively derive all our information from television (so it's easier for people to have non-mainstream ideologies).

* this probably applies to many other countries as well

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Looking forward to the Cuomo/Lightfoot ticket in 2028.

loquacius posted:

and the producers surprised her with an on-air inspirational message from her mom, you know, her crazy psycho abusive mom that literally leaked her nudes because she was mad about an argument like two weeks ago

How is leaking the nudes of your underage daughter not a felony

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Feb 15, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pelosi desperately need me to lend her $10

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regardless of whether that Jefferroo guy is Taintrunner, I googled the person in question and found a portfolio of graphic design work that was comically bad and looked like stuff someone would do for a project in high school.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Complaining about tankies continues to be a great sign that someone is a complete moron. There's no explanation for that other than someone either being profoundly ignorant or a broke-brained loser who is politically motivated solely by being angry at people on Twitter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bedpan posted:

If you begin from the assumption of categorical falsehood, you have assumed a position where no information can ever falsify your position. This doesn't make you smart or insightful, it makes you deluded.

The amusing thing about these people is that they're completely oblivious to the fact that their own beliefs also involve a bunch of assumptions (because it's literally impossible to not have starting assumptions about things). The only difference is that we're aware of and can defend our assumption that "Democratic politicians, like all American politicians, should be assumed to be doing harm unless very strong evidence otherwise is provided." They, on the other hand, just believe that "you should assume the best of Democrats unless proof is provided otherwise" is some sort of ironclad logic of reality.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is an interview with one of the founders of the justice dems who is also AOC's chief of staff.

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...egy-2020-444401

Stuff like this is why I think that the only two possibilities with AOC (and most of these people) is that they're either deliberately dishonest/deceptive or have such staggeringly poor judgement that there's no difference.

My best guess is that they just choose to tell themselves that a bunch of progress is being made, because that way they don't have to change what they're doing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

People getting mad at AOC can be funny regardless of how you feel about AOC yourself

https://twitter.com/cordeliers/status/1252559557471154177?s=19

The rest of this person's feed just descends into a mishmash of Alex Berenson and other OPEN ER UP retweets

The intent of the person who posted that aside, having cops bring things to peoples' doors is a real lovely thing to do. If that had happened* back when I was still using "grey market" opioids of dubious legality I would have been scared shitless, and it'd be many times worse for that to happen to a black person.

* this actually did happen once 7 or 8 years ago, though fortunately I wasn't arrested and the cops in question just wanted to know where I had ordered the drug from

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

OTOH having the police perform social services like delivering food to the elderly is what they should be doing instead of shooting suspicious minorities so I’m not going to even pretend to get upset about it

But we don't live in a world where the police are actually good; we live in the one where "police showing up at my house" is a very good reason to be afraid.

It's bad for the same reason any sort of copaganda or stories about the US military delivering aid are bad. Those things aren't getting us closer to a world where the police/military aren't harmful institutions; they're just contributing to the illusion that they're legitimate and good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao I just found some Youtube comments I made 11 years ago (on whatever the "Discussions" tab is):

quote:

The entire reason why people say progressive taxation is unfair is because they think pay is directly proportional to work. It is proportional (almost anyone making 6 figures is working their rear end off), but not directly.

I'm apparently trying to argue that pay doesn't correspond to work, but "almost anyone making 6 figures is working their rear end off" hahahahaha

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

forcing unaccompanied minors to recite the pledge of allegiance while being held captive is about the most american thing I can think of.

Can you imagine the reaction if there was a video of Russia doing some equivalent to this

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

wow, this group will bring down the right for sure!

It's amusing how obvious it is that jobs like making ads like this are just make-work for children of the wealthy and Democratic Party officials/allies. Like it's not even clear what's going on in that ad.

It's basically like if you gave someone six figures to do the equivalent of low-effort high school assignments.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like AOC's role is to just constantly say "I'm mad that Biden isn't doing good things, but I'm sure we can get him to change his mind!" Basically to take anger towards the administration and disperse it by telling people that, even if Biden isn't doing these things now, he'll definitely change his mind as long as you keep Organizing for Democrats.

comedyblissoption posted:

things of note:
  • the cop who died on 1/6 texted out to his family post-riot that he was suffering from pepper spray
  • an autopsy did not show any blunt force damage
  • there is no video or pictures of this event of fire extinguisher bludgeoning to death in one of the most surveilled places on earth
  • there have been no charges related to a COP MURDER
  • the cop was therefore probably not bludgeoned to death with a fire extinguisher in spite of national media promoting this narrative
  • the infamous photo with the tacticool ziptie guy hopping railing has literally his mom behind him
  • the ziptie guy had an iphone attached to his chest that recorded him picking up the zipties from cops and his mom saying to keep it away from the police
  • the ziptie guy recorded them talking about leaving weapons behind outside the capitol building to avoid legal trouble
  • the other guy with zipties also picked them up at the capitol building
  • the qanon shaman was initially alleged by prosecutors to be planning to assassinate and kidnap people before this got dropped
  • the only shot fired was by the capitol police onto the air force veteran. what kind of insurrection in one of the most heavily armed countries in the world involves no gunfire?

But if you expressed doubt about any of these things before absolute proof against them appeared, you'd get a response of "how dare you, you seditious piece of poo poo"

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 02:53 on Feb 25, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Don't forget about this person who did a lot of reporting on the alt right.

Broadly speaking you should be very skeptical of "people who focus most of their attention on 'fighting the far-right/nazis' (or, even worse, focus their attention on foreign 'bad countries')" because it means they're either very dumb or deliberately don't want to actually focus on the people and institutions that hold real power.

It's a kind of clever trick, because you can distract people who otherwise mean well with this sort of thing, and anything said against it can be seen as "carrying water for the far right" or whatever.

edit: For example, if someone doesn't look at the list of episodes from that Behind the Bastards podcast and immediately realize "this deliberately avoids topics that conflict with US foreign policy goals and should be viewed with suspicion" something is deeply wrong. "Limiting focus to only the most convenient topics that don't conflict with government policy/ideology" is one of the oldest tricks in the book for liberals, but a lot of people still naively trust anyone who talks about "fighting foreign dictators" or whatever.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Feb 25, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Even without the 15$ minimum wage, it's important to remember that the covid bill is still a hefty 1.9tn$ of stimulus that's going to help a lot of people and help the economy get back to its footing. There's a second infrastructure reconcilliation bill that they can probably pass in time for its effects to be felt before the mid terms. Passing 15$ would've been the right thing to do but it isn't essential for their electoral chances by any means. Especially when we consider the following possibilities:

1. Democrats might be becoming the "turn out during mid terms" electorate due to polarizartion and other efforts. Which would be disastrous for Republicans.
2. That Dems will succeed in passing two significant bills that help people.
3. The GOP seems to be in the midst of a civil war and the Trump faction appears to be winning, which will help with Dem turnout and strangle GOP turnout, especially if Trump remains off the ballot.

It's amazing to me that anyone old enough to have lived through the Obama years would have an opinion like this - do these people not remember people making all the same sort of arguments about "the Republican Party being finished for good"?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not happy about Syria re-entering liberal discourse due to Biden unsurprisingly doing air strikes. Seeing this stuff just makes me upset and angry and is not the funny kind of "succ"

Judakel posted:

I still remember when everyone said it was a nerve gas...

I'm pretty sure people still say that. Some guy in the D&D thread about sources was saying that and I think it's still the US government's position.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I remember you posting once about how you were incredibly depressed, maybe even suicidal, because you had so little hope for the future. If that's the case, you should probably stop coming into cspam to start poo poo. I've seen you pinch off stinkers in about 4 threads now. That kind of antagonism can't be good for your mental health

Some people weirdly double-down on support of institutions in response to feelings of helplessness.

I think it largely comes down to an emotional need to feel like you can rely on people/institutions with power. So with regard to something like US talking points about Evo Morales, How Are U needs to think there's some validity to them, because the alternative (that it was always done with ill-intent) is unacceptable. Even if you disagree with what US government/media say, there must be something worthwhile and substantive to it, because the alternative is understanding that you have no friends in places of power.

docbeard posted:

Man, I don't really know who you are or why people make the sign of the cross and hiss when you come near, but I feel like a more specific answer than "Alas, but man is mortal" to the question of just what was bad about Morales was expected.

A while back he posted a screenshot in some Discord bragging about having almost everyone in the General Election thread on ignore (which is about the most direct evidence of bad faith possible). In said thread he would mostly just post things like "I'm looking forward to accomplishing progressive goals under Biden :)" and said screenshot was essentially just confirming that he was obviously trying to rile people up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bedpan posted:

ok, you think passing a "watered down" bill will lead to republicans taking control. what do you believe passing no bill will do.

we'll ignore your religious belief that there's a magic "make manchin do what we want" button, because that's obviously just magical thinking trying to paper over the obvious hole in your logic

How in the world is $600 less in stimulus and a $15 minimum wage hike axed by the parliamentarian (not by compromise) "watered down into oblivion"? Is it just because you don't need all the rest of the stuff in the bill?

Well, strictly speaking and without going into specifics there are absolutely "making (politician) do what you want" "buttons"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dolphin posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to unsourced quote. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence.

People who have spent years practicing the art of the unsourced quote develop a special technique where they can directly channel the mind of a liberal and spawn the quotes from their own mind.

edit: It's like when someone has played so much Tetris that they constantly see falling blocks, only in this case they constantly see bad posts produced by their subconscious mind

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

actionjackson posted:

there are obviously differences in incidence of certain comorbidities by race, but I don't know how much of that is genetic vs. how much of that is a result of socioeconomic conditions.

Basically the only times there might be race differences unrelated to environment are situations where a condition is determined by a very specific difference in a single gene or something.

People who have a very poor understanding of how genetics works then extrapolate this to very complex traits like intelligence (or other behavioral traits that they use to justify why people deserve to be poor or whatever).

"you are high" in contexts like this is up there with the word "frick" in terms of "things only strange losers say"

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Feb 27, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"Pulling the lever moves the trolley slightly to the left so that its wheel causes an instant and painless death through rolling over everyone's heads."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1366195478992412681?s=19

Yeah if I could characterize Joe Biden just one way it'd be "outsider insurgent candidate"

He's not entirely wrong. They weren't able to force through one of the candidates they would have preferred and had no choice but to go with Biden.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/VP/status/1366154127424835585

the vice president will take many calls and have many meetings

How does anyone not view this as hilarious cringe

Also why is the picture shot from like 2 feet high

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

why the x in womxn?

Because there's no MEN

edit: though I thought the preferred version was "womyn" or something

vvv If this is the intent it's even worse lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

look i know you deserve $15 but company policy is that we cant do raises outside of schedule so my hands are tied but keep up the hard work and ill see what i can do in 6 months :)

This exact thing happened to my friend; they'd keep telling him "you're appreciated and maybe we'll look at it next performance review" when he'd ask.

He ended up finally being promoted because he took a couple weeks off and everything fell apart without him there. His pay is still far too low, but at least it's a bit less terrible than it was (I think his raise was from $13/hr to $17 or $18/hr and he's been working there like 10 years or something).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

look at all the numerous, absolute failures in just the first month or so of his presidency. I've seen maybe a tiny handful of liberals go "hmm this doesn't line up with my expectations of reality, maybe I should reconsider how I feel about Biden and the Dems." The vast vast majority are scraping together any possible excuse they can, no matter how unmoored from reality, no matter how easily and quickly falsifiable it is (look at how many people are adamantly defending the 1400+600 bullshit).

Liberals' egos are tied into their perception of themselves as the smart ones, the ones who see reality for what it is, and cannot brook any information that threatens this, so that information must be beaten into submission and forced into whatever insane bugfuck 11d chess they can come up with to explain why Biden is creating more kid cages, etc. And anything they can't explain away gets outright ignored.

Like I said before, the only real belief liberals have is "hating stupid people" (according to their own idea of what "stupid" means). All other beliefs that they may appear to have are actually just post hoc justification for why stupid people are bad.

For example, the things that motivate them with regard to issues like climate change or COVID-19 are "people who deny climate change" and "people who don't belief in the pandemic and/or don't wear masks." They don't actually care about whether things are done to address these issues - they just like to think about how stupid some other people are for being wrong about them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Reported this post for doxxing/helldumping

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bootleg Trunks posted:

The doomposters were right all along, Austin

Greyjoy step down

Were they claiming that the $15 minimum wage would be passed or what?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I’ll believe axiel’s reformed when they quit the health insurance job they have

It's also pretty normal for people like that to have brief "I'm mad/disappointed at the Democrats!" periods before The Narrative gets set in stone and news about Republicans distracts them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

liberal twitter pundits made a little spat over biden breaking bread with mbs hacking up and murdering a journalist but like what about uh the mass murder genocide thats right there lmao

(ofc talking about it would implicate obama and biden as genociders and threaten arms sales)

Recent TrueAnon was making the obviously true point that liberals only cared when something is done to someone relatively high-class like Kashoggi or Princess Latifa, despite these countries being literal slave states.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This basically supports my thought that if people ever managed to do any sort of state party takeover all the money and real power would just go elsewhere. It's not like all the people and institutions that support these Democratic Party organizations are obligated to keep supporting a state party that was taken over by the left.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Not even pretending that they aren't just setting up a competing structure, lol. Probably will be recognized by the DNC, too.

Yep, this is exactly what would obviously happen in such a scenario, though I didn't expect to actually have a direct example to point to so soon.

The whole idea that was thrown around in D&D about taking over the DNC and state Democratic parties completely misunderstands where power comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

i find myself increasingly unconvinced that any of bidens executive orders actually do anything he seems to be signing them just so he can say he signed them

Liberal policy is to just create a bunch of councils and commissions to study things.