Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Hello creative Goons. I don't usually post here, but I'm kinda stuck after hitting a wall, or floor in this case.

I am currently painting a vaulted ceiling for a client for way too little money, but that's besides the point. Here's where I'm stuck. I began the project a while ago using vinyl stencils to create a design on the ceiling.

Here's it almost completed:

Now, after all this has been said and done, the client has requested that I somehow "Darken" the grey color of the ceiling. What I he means specifically is, change the light shade of grey to a very dark shade of grey. I asked him why he decided this grey was too light, and his reasoning was that when the lighting in the place is lit up, it will be too light. I explained that it wouldn't be easy to darken the grey paint, as it already has a gloss black pattern atop it. I have experimented with "semi-transparent" ink and a dark wood stain.

Here's the results.

Ink:

Woodstain:

The ink results, while much cleaner than the wood stain (less un-evenness, no real darkening of the black.) are off due to the reddish tint it imparted on the grey, which is something the client doesn't want.

I was wondering if any creatives here have ever experimented with solvent dyes (alcohol-based inks or vinyl dyes) that can be thinned to create the effect im looking for? Also, the part about the fall is bullshit, other than I fear death when I'm on top of that 18' foot scaffold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hi! I just noticed this thread. I don't have an answer to your question, but I think the ceiling looks great as-is and that seems like a frustrating request. If you're still looking for an answer you might try the small questions thread, or hit up the DIY forum if you haven't already.

CC moves a bit slow so people don't always see new threads. It might be worth going and asking in the trad art thread, too!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm not an artist, but if you're already getting way too little money, why would you even consider humoring a request to change basically all of it?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I know this is late but I would use mixol tints in a glaze, maybe using an extender to keep it workable longer so you can avoid roller marks.

Stay away from dyes, it’s not worth the cancer.

Hope it worked out.

E- modern masters or Benjamin moore glazes are fine

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i can't help with the actual content of your post but i just wanted to say i love the elegant micro-narrative contained in the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

perepelki posted:

i can't help with the actual content of your post but i just wanted to say i love the elegant micro-narrative contained in the title

And the surprise twist where there wasn’t actually a fall