Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I just presume it took Yuna so long cause she wasn't actually a summoner until now. Maybe it takes a while to figure out how this poo poo even works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I never really questioned the why of Yuna being stuck in there for days, having pretty thoroughly internalized the "events only happen when you're there to witness them" convention that most JRPGs use. That being said,

MightyPretenders posted:

Since we're led to believe that what goes on in the innermost chamber is just Yuna praying for hours at a time, there's one possibility that springs to mind for why it took so long the first time.

That being that Valefor was stalling until Tidus showed up, since he's a big part of their plan.
I think this is correct.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Quackles posted:

Maybe it's just me, but now that we've met Wakka, does that make Tidus Yakko and Yuna Dot?

Thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one who thought this.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

BlazetheInferno posted:

I argue that it should be spelled "Leeda" to keep with the Aurochs' naming scheme - the one thing they all have in common (Wakka included!) is that they all have a double-letter, like Keepa, Wakka, Botta, Letty, Datto and Jassu.

Yeah, that’s fair. I’ll go back and adjust that.

MightyPretenders posted:

Since we're led to believe that what goes on in the innermost chamber is just Yuna praying for hours at a time, there's one possibility that springs to mind for why it took so long the first time.

That being that Valefor was stalling until Tidus showed up, since he's a big part of their plan.

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

I like this smarter, more active Yuna, actually. was a bit weird to read those lines about Zanarkand in her "voice" first but then it clicked

Bifauxnen posted:

I just presume it took Yuna so long cause she wasn't actually a summoner until now. Maybe it takes a while to figure out how this poo poo even works!

When I was a kid I HATED Yuna. Not in a personal level, per se, but I thought she was annoyingly passive and uninteresting, a flat character that didn’t deserve to have the plot revolve around her. She’s definitely one of those characters that becomes more likeable as you age, but I didn’t want to write for her like that. Of all the characters in FFX, she’ll be the one I change the most. I have specific things in plan for her.

Aces High posted:

oh so THIS is the FF game with the girl with the dress made of belts

I have to admit my only knowledge of this game is that one scene, you all know the one

I will have WORDS about that scene.

Quackles posted:

Maybe it's just me, but now that we've met Wakka, does that make Tidus Yakko and Yuna Dot?

I use dictation software to write, right? But I can’t get it to recognize new words reliably, so I use similar words and find/replace them before posting. The word I use for Wakka?

Wacko.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Unless they changed it in the rerelease, there's nothing permanently missable in the temple trials. You can always come back and do them later, although in some cases you have to wait a while.

All of the Fayth have things to say if you revisit them, and some of them will change your interpretation of the ending.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Unless they changed it in the rerelease, there's nothing permanently missable in the temple trials. You can always come back and do them later, although in some cases you have to wait a while.

you can go back and re-complete the trials, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone to say "doing any trial twice is a barrier i am unwilling to cross & anything left behind is considered permanently missed because gently caress that".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah maybe I'm just finally losing my memory but I could swear the trials are and always have been revisitable later (especially considering the Destruction Spheres), it was just that in the International Version there happens to be a small landmine of a change which renders it very much in your interests to clear everything out the first time although strictly speaking it's still as possible as it ever was to revisit.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Fedule posted:

Yeah maybe I'm just finally losing my memory but I could swear the trials are and always have been revisitable later (especially considering the Destruction Spheres), it was just that in the International Version there happens to be a small landmine of a change which renders it very much in your interests to clear everything out the first time although strictly speaking it's still as possible as it ever was to revisit.

Your memory is accurate, and that landmine also exists in the HD PC version.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
There is one Trial you can not return to, which anyone who has played can deduce, but because of that, it is also the one Trial where use of the Destruction Sphere is required to progress anyway.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Yeah like the time I grinded for a bunch of hours to do my capture x10 without saving and for shits and giggles I went "let me go see Home again."

:hurr: :downsowned:

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

stab posted:

Yeah like the time I grinded for a bunch of hours to do my capture x10 without saving and for shits and giggles I went "let me go see Home again."

:hurr: :downsowned:

Same, I thought it was triggered in the village rather than the gate so I thought I could get close.

Luckily my Yuna was beefy as hell and I had a few Aeons with Damage Limit Break so I won the damage race

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

That looks like we just barely have a consensus, so I’ll go back and add that in.

TheKirbs posted:

Same, I thought it was triggered in the village rather than the gate so I thought I could get close.

Luckily my Yuna was beefy as hell and I had a few Aeons with Damage Limit Break so I won the damage race

Are we talking “lifting regimen from the TDI thread” beefy or just regular beefy?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

TheKirbs posted:

I.....didn't know where they were.

I thought in most cases you had to initiate the combat.

Learnt a valuable lesson in Mushroom Rock Road.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

Falconier111 posted:

Are we talking “lifting regimen from the TDI thread” beefy or just regular beefy?
The Tonberry Tap, I'd also used the 2 exploits to get a ton of levels and spheres early so when I was teleported everyone to Auron's grid for Extract Strength, Yuna's and Lulu's were mostly done with Yuna so I said screw it and sent her down his path. Finished his and Tidus' paths before finishing her's and Lulu's because I forgot.

stab posted:

Learnt a valuable lesson in Mushroom Rock Road.
The first win made me cocky so I thought I'd have a go, did not go well.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 7: We’re Gonna Wait

Later that evening…

…drat.

But no matter what he looks like, he isn’t Chappu.

What, and I shoulda left him confused on the beach? C’mon, Lulu. Why you gotta assume I’m trying to replace him?

Because I’ve seen how you treat him! No one puts strangers in headlocks like that. You treat him the same way you treated Chappu!

Lu –

:sigh:

You up already? It’s not morning yet.

“Chappu”?

He was with the Crusaders when they fought Sin last year. He didn’t make it. I first heard on the day of the tournament.

Yeah, that’d put a dent in your performance. I’m sorry I made fun of you.

Ah, you didn’t know. I became a guardian to fight Sin, ya?

But…I’m more worried about a stupid game now than avenging my brother. Well, after the next tournament, I’ll be a guardian full-time. I know it kinda looks like I’m using you, but I’m not.

You’re using me about as much as I’m using you. Man, you let me change the way you ran your team even though you just met me yesterday! I mean, I owe you a lot. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I hadn’t met you. You really helped me out, you know?

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster OST 27. Yuna's Theme

Yeah, well, he never used it. I’m not gonna leave it sitting in a tent.

So how do you guys know Yuna, anyway?

Yuna came to this village ten years ago, when the last Calm started.

What, not gonna ask this time?

Keep going, I’m going either remember it or pick it up as I go.

Anyway, since then, she’s been like a little sister to me and Lulu. But she had the talent…She became an apprentice. Now, today, she leaves as a summoner.

You really don’t need all that luggage.

I-I thought I would bring along some supplies for all of us. And-and some gifts for the other priests.

… You’re right.

So now, after 6 ½ updates of screwing around, we can finally, FINALLY, get to exploring the combat system proper. While the games already introduced us to the core mechanics, the path from Besaid village to the docks is the first point we get free reign to grind, buy things (you can now buy equipment at the village store), and familiarize yourself with the combat. Not that the game sees the need to stop tutorializing. Final Fantasy X came out in an era where designers were looking to pin down combat roles in RPG, a process that gave birth to everything from World of Warcraft to Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition. FFX opted to identify no fewer than seven roles and split them between seven party members more or less evenly; each had a type of monster they worked best against and a broader role in boss battles.

Tidus, for instance, deals with fast, lightly-armored enemies and manipulates the turn order…

… Wakka handles flying or distant enemies and inflicts status effects…

… And Lulu handles tough enemies with elemental weaknesses and uses all kinds of offensive magic. As an aside, this game has Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Water elements; the first and second two are weak to each other.

Fun fact about Lulu: Tetsuya Nomura, FFX’s visual designer, has a famous hard on for belts and zippers. He also apparently was very particular about how he wanted his costumes to work, so he designed Lulu’s ridiculous belt skirt to challenge his animation team and see if they could keep everything together while it was in motion. Which they did! For one FMV, the one we got at the beginning of this update, while it was in darkness. They then spent the rest of the game doing everything they could to avoid animating it by manipulating camera positioning during FMVs and otherwise only showing her static model. Good job?

Take your time.

So, are we gonna –

Yuna nods and walks towards a nearby statue. Lulu and Wakka nod to each other and follow her.

… What?

C’mere.

Chappu didn’t pray that day. Said he’d miss his boat.

Tidus runs out ahead of the rest and under the eaves of some overgrown architecture…

:stare:

16-Enemy Attack-FFX OST

… Only to be ambushed. Our catboy has become a catboss.

This really isn’t a complicated fight; all you can do is attack him, and all he can do is attack you…

… And execute this special attack, Jump. Once upon a time, Jump was a special ability that belonged to Dragoons (the Final Fantasy class, not the line infantry that used horses to travel between fights); the user would jump into the air, skip return, and come down hard on an enemy. Here, though, it’s just a special attack. We go back and forth for a little while until…

What’s gotten into you, Kimahri?

… You weren’t actually trying to hurt me, were you, big guy?

I may be rusty, but I know the difference between fighting and sparring. Were you trying to get my measure or something?

He grunts, turns around, and leaves.

Kimahri Ronso, of the Ronso tribe. He’s learned the fiends’ way of fighting.

He’s another of Yuna’s guardians.

Do all of you pick fights with random people?

Sometimes we don’t understand him either. Kimahri doesn’t talk much anyway.

So be nice to him, okay?

… There are so many different things I could say right now, but I think I’m gonna keep them all to myself.

Wise.

Canonically Kimahri really does just try to murder Tidus out of nowhere and gets away scot free. No one ever mentions this again :ssh:.

(Lulu actually used the correct plural possessive :swoon:)

We go a bit further up the path before we run into our next encounter.

A flyer… That’s your department, right?

True, true. But, uh…Why don’t we let our summoner show us what she’s made of!

Yuna is a white mage; in regular combat she deals in healing, buffs, and debuffs, but lacks any real offensive capability. Well, sort of. You remember the summoning sequence back in the village?

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qoupb1AVPv1rk96q7.mp4

Here’s what it looks like in action. I would have gotten a video of that too if I’d known I could get videos off the Switch when I was playing the section. Yuna is a Summoner who can call in one of a bevy of what the game calls Aeons. Most (but not all) are new versions of summons in previous games, but unlike the powerful special attacks they used to be, in this game they’re powerful characters in their own right that boot the rest of the party off the battlefield as long as they’re active.

Each Summon has a gimmick of some kind. Valefor, for instance, can use a wide variety of elemental magic and Sonic Wings, which delays an enemy’s turn. They also have Overdrives like full party members do, but unlike the flexible effects those Overdrives have…

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qouq4aqRRT1rk96q7.mp4

… Summon Overdrives are just powerful and luxuriously animated special attacks. As a rule, Summons are kind of a nuclear option in gameplay, the sort of thing you break out when you need some extra firepower RIGHT NOW or get really sick of working your way through something. As powerful and tough as they can be, they lack the flexibility of the standard three-person party; they only get so many turns compared to standard combat, making healing limited and potentially tying down turns trying to deal with various issues that you could have, say, Yuna covering otherwise. You also can’t heal them out of battle, meaning you have to wait until you find your next Save Sphere to bring them back if they go down. But if you’re looking for some quick firepower or need some special slot filled, these guys are the way to go.

Valefor here, though, has a secret.

After you leave the village, you can come back later and go looking for something special. At least, I thought. I spent like half an hour searching for it, complete with reverting to an earlier save only to realize the flag hadn’t triggered yet, before I finally figured out what I was missing.

Once you hit the correct story beat, the woman previously manning the desk in the local shop goes on leave and a teenager walking her dog near the temple takes over. Once she does that, you can go exploring and find her dog…

… And it gives Valefor a special second Overdrive. Somehow.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qouqc9zQlj1rk96q7.mp4

As far as I can tell, this second Overdrive is consistently more powerful than the first AND the only second Overdrive this game has to offer. I’m sure the thread can correct me on that.

After running up and down the path for a while, I make the executive decision to use what I’ve grind it up to show off FFX’s leveling system.

Instead of having conventional levels or a job system like previous Final Fantasy titles, Final Fantasy X uses what it calls the Sphere Grid. Experience gain works more or less conventionally. Every character in a fight can seamlessly switch out with any character that isn’t already active without wasting any time, and if they take any action during combat, they get full XP. That experience piles up and then gives them levels. So far, so good. However, instead of those levels directly increasing their stats, Sphere Levels give you the ability to move spaces on the Sphere Grid.

Every Sphere Level lets you move one slot into parts of it you haven’t unlocked yet or up to four slots back through places you’ve already been. While many slots are empty, most have something you can unlock with Spheres that drop during combat (see above) that do anything from boosting some of your stats to giving you new abilities or spells.

As you go further in the game, the Sphere Grid evolves in what it can do, and there are all kinds of special tricks and hidden catches that can make working with it either a pleasure or a nightmare. But I’ll save those for a later update, since I really can’t show them off right now. We’re early in the game yet.

After running through the rest of the trail, we reach the same beach we washed up on three updates back. This dock was already there, but unlike before it now has a big ol’ ferry waiting to take us away. Approaching it triggers another cutscene.

27-Yuna's Theme-FFX OST

Goodbye…

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I always kind of liked how combat in these early areas is basically a "match the party member to the enemy" game. It's obviously not gonna stay that simple forever, but I don't think it ever entirely stops being a thing you keep in mind.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't know if I was blind, stupid, or both but I had the hardest time with Tidus' and only Tidus' Sphere Grid the first time I played. I kept going back somehow and ended up so far behind everyone else. I ended up using Kimahri as my speedy striker, which to me makes sense for a cat anyways

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Quantum Toast posted:

I always kind of liked how combat in these early areas is basically a "match the party member to the enemy" game. It's obviously not gonna stay that simple forever, but I don't think it ever entirely stops being a thing you keep in mind.

It's a pretty efficient tutorial, yeah.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I like that the tutorial for Lulu lets you cast any spell she knows on the Water Flan; Lulu says "...that was a bad example" if you use Fire or Blizzard, and Wakka complains if you cast Water (and prompts an explanation from Lulu that if you're not careful with your elements, you can heal your opponents by mistake.)

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Quantum Toast posted:

It does not. Honestly FFX is generally pretty tightly designed, especially when it comes to role protection, something I’ll go into in my second exploration of the Sphere Grid, once we can start hopping sections.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I don't know if I was blind, stupid, or both but I had the hardest time with Tidus' and only Tidus' Sphere Grid the first time I played. I kept going back somehow and ended up so far behind everyone else. I ended up using Kimahri as my speedy striker, which to me makes sense for a cat anyways

I’ve had the same problem; I think his abilities (focused around speed and retreating) aren’t always useful and run against his characterization as, well, in modern terms, a himbo and a manic pixie dream boy. And I know that runs against my last point but :shrug:

I have a major issue directly related to the LP I’m not smart enough to solve; I need to calculate the relationship between several coordinates on a grid to get a fourth coordinate. If there are any math majors reading this, could you shoot me a PM?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Swapping party members in so everyone got XP was not a very good mechanic. It felt like an obligation and needed to be done in every battle unless it was absolutely trash mobs while you were redoing an area. And usually you need to cycle through everyone that's not good for the current fight, then back to the paper-rock-scissors-lizard-spock winners to actually finish the fight.

It was easy enough to do, however, compared to XII which had the same problem, but the real-time nature meant you couldn't switch out a character who was being targeted by something, and I vaguely recall some other problem, like it took a significant amount of time between the first member despawning and the replacement arriving, or needing to go two levels deep into a menu rather than the way X does it. In 10 it was easy enough to keep everyone about equal, but for 12 I just wound up having a main party and hoping story events didn't force me to use one of the B team.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dareon posted:

Swapping party members in so everyone got XP was not a very good mechanic. It felt like an obligation and needed to be done in every battle unless it was absolutely trash mobs while you were redoing an area. And usually you need to cycle through everyone that's not good for the current fight, then back to the paper-rock-scissors-lizard-spock winners to actually finish the fight.

This. For the love of god, this killed my OCD when I finally got around to playing the game recently. (Turns out, because I was not aware of the various version differences, I played the original U.S. version without the... added content.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The thing is, though, the further you get, the less it matters. Wakka can hit those fast monsters better than Tidus can, and other characters have abilities unrelated to accuracy. And that's just one example. There comes a point where if you really want, you can stick to 3-4 favorites

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

This. For the love of god, this killed my OCD when I finally got around to playing the game recently. (Turns out, because I was not aware of the various version differences, I played the original U.S. version without the... added content.

Some things they updated. Some things... They did not. Why would you press + during a cutscene? Oh, you must want to PAUSE the cutscene. What? Skip it? You uncouth barbarian, how could you even imply you wouldn’t fall over yourself to view our lavish 10-minute cutscene before a boss fight that boils down to random chance every single retry? How dare you. How DARE you! You will watch that FMV again and you will LIKE it!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The thing is, though, the further you get, the less it matters. Wakka can hit those fast monsters better than Tidus can, and other characters have abilities unrelated to accuracy. And that's just one example. There comes a point where if you really want, you can stick to 3-4 favorites

Poor Kimahri...

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 22, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Falconier111 posted:

Poor Kimahri...

I kind of assume you'll be covering this in more detail when you find appropriate :orb:, but Kimahri's in an interesting niche where his position on the sphere grid lets him go into anyone's grid. Mechanically, he's the type I love. Although I think when I found the first unlock orb, Tidus was close to his connecting point, so they kinda traded grids for a bit. I just remember sending someone into Kimahri's grid while Kimahri worked backwards towards the basic abilities on their grid.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Someone's done the hard work of unrolling the sphere grid which at least for the original 'Standard' sphere grid shows it's more simple than it looks. Everyone's just got a main branch with a couple of locks that you can bypass to hop to a different branch instead.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Falconier111 posted:

Some things they updated. Some things... They did not. Why would you press + during a cutscene? Oh, you must want to PAUSE the cutscene. What? Skip it? You uncouth barbarian, how could you even imply you wouldn’t fall over yourself to view our lavish 10-minute cutscene before a boss fight that boils down to random chance every single retry? How dare you. How DARE you! You will watch that FMV again and you will LIKE it!

This is kinda why I almost finished the game, but didn't.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

This is kinda why I almost finished the game, but didn't.

I always watched the cutscenes at least once or twice, then took advantage of FFX’s turn-based combat to use the TV and read a book until it finished and I could play again. Nothing says heart-pounding gameplay like letting the game run in the background :v:

Update 8: You’re Here, Are You Not?

28-Sprouting-FFX OST

Tidus flips over him and lands on the railing.

The camera whips away.

Tidus, stop bothering people and get over here!

Yeah, yeah. So what’s up?

I never told you where we were going, bruddah.

()

‘Fore that, though, Yuna’s gotta pray at the temple. I’ll be guarding. We’ll be praying for the Aurochs’ victory, too, so you come along, ya?

Or what, sit around staring at the docks? Yeah, of course I’ll come.

You’ll need the help.

Hey!

Welcome to the S.S. Liki, our fine transport to Kilika. What’s that you say? SS stands for steamship? I don’t know what you’re talking about. There isn’t all that much to do here other than wander around and bother people.

Like so. But there are a couple things we should hit up while we’re here. For instance, if we go all the way to the bottom of the ship…

Engineer: Wh-what the heck is what?

What is this place?

Engineer: The power room, like it says on the door!

Yeah, but why the big birds?

Engineer: …What’s so strange about chocobo power?

Chocobos? Those are chocobos?

Engineer: What? You’ve never seen a chocobo? What kind of backwater island did you come from, anyway?

… A really backward one.

Engineer: Feel free to take a look, but stay away from them. They’re distractible enough as it is.

(I’d heard about these. I thought they were extinct. I guess you learn something new every day.)

Yep, they use everybody’s favorite bird horses to run the paddles instead of steam. Neato. There is a Primer all the way down past the end of the screen where you can see it; you have to run up to it and press the interact button until you activate it. Or miss it. And reload a save to get it. Like I absolutely didn’t do.

We also encounter this gentleman belowdecks.

O’aka XXIII: Yewh! Filthy, filthy! These won’t sell or me name’s not O’aka! Don’t look like you got much money either. I’ve no business with ye. Outta me way!

Hey, who do you think you are?

… Who?

O’aka XXIII: Don’t know me? Well, not many do, not yet. But someday, the name O’aka will be spoken all over Spira!

This isn’t the last time we’ll run into O’aka. He may sound like a con artist, but he isn’t. In the future, he’ll show up in various isolated locales selling us random crap when we need it most for outrageous prices. But there’s a catch. Whenever you meet him, you have the option to spot him some money, and the more money you spot him, the cheaper his goods are. By, like, a lot. I drop practically every gil I own on him (only about 400) right now.
O’aka XXIII: I guess it pays to ask! Thank ye kindly, lad! Fine seed money for the O’aka merchant empire! Much obliged, I’ll be sure to pay ye back!
With that out of the way, let’s get on with the plot.

So, uh, I noticed the crowd. Why…

She’s the daughter of High Summoner Braska! You saw his statue at the temple. Lord Braska defeated Sin ten years ago. Yuna’s the heir to a great legacy!

… Has anybody asked her how she feels about that legacy?

Ah, you see it, too? Ya, she never likes being the center of attention, but she got used to it a long time ago. Her father’s a lot to live up to!

Famous dads, huh. Yeah, I know what that’s like.

You know – you remembering something, bruddah?

I – uh, maybe? My dad was famous. I know that.

You hear that, Lu?! He’s remembering something! Hey, what about –

Give him some space, Wakka. Let him remember things at his own pace. Tidus, I believe Yuna had some questions for you.

THANK you. See ya!

The crowd in front of Yuna scatters; you can talk to them but I’ll just give you variations on hero worship.

They both burst out laughing and the awkwardness passes.

You’re a blitzball player, aren’t you? From Zanarkand?

Uh… You hear that from Wakka?

:)

Ah…Wakka. Wakka doesn’t believe me at all.

But I believe you!

… You do?

Great blitzball tournaments are held there, and the stands are always full!

Yeah, that’s right. How do you know that?

Your body tensed up. Are… Are you all right?

Jecht, huh? Who’s that?

My father spent a few months in Bevelle when partway through his pilgrimage so I could get to know him before he left. He brought his guardians with him. Jecht was… Well, he was loud and rude, sometimes, but he had a good heart. He liked showing off and taught me the rules of Blitzball. He’s the reason I use a staff in combat!

Really.

Jecht told me that I must always know what I’m willing to do in a fight BEFORE it begins. He said that you always have to give it your all, but if you don’t know your limits, you’ll end up pushing too far past them and hurting yourself. I said I wanted to fight but I didn’t want to hurt people too much, so he suggested I use a staff because they aren’t very dangerous weapons and I could fight as hard as I wanted without worrying about it. He then laughed and bragged about how much better he was, but that was his way. He also told me not to drink alcohol.

All the more for him, yeah?

No. Jecht never drank.

Huh. That sounds a lot like my old man. Except for the last part.

Your – Sir Jecht said he had a son he left behind in Zanarkand! A son named Tidus! Oh, our meeting like this must be the blessing of Yevon!

Sounds like him, but it can’t be him.

Why not?

He went out to sea for training one day…and never came back. And no one’s seen him since then.

But Sir Jecht came to Spira then. 10 years and three months ago, correct?

… drat.

The whole ship shudders and one guy goes rolling across the deck.

Stick a harpoon in it and we’ll all get dragged under!

Sailor: Sin is going for Kilika! We gotta distract it!

Go.

The harpoons hit home on Sin, dragging the ship behind it.

Hi there. As far as boss fights go, this one is piss-easy; with access to your previous party AND Kimahri, (who I’ll get into at a later date), all you have to do is keep the scales under control while you hit the fin with either black magic or using Wakka’s insane throwing arm.

:stare:

The Sinscales aren’t any tougher than they were the last time we fought them back at the beginning of the game, and even though they can break out Spines for significant damage and they endlessly respawn every time you kill off all three, you shouldn’t have much trouble dealing with them. As for the “boss”, the fin doesn’t even attack, all it does on its turn is pull the ship around and change the camera angle.

So I take the moment to do something very cheeky. Cheer is the first ability Tidus gets, boosting the active party’s Attack and Defense without using MP. With Kimahri and Wakka active and keeping the Scales under control, Tidus is free to keep spamming Cheer and boosting their stats until all three of them can reliably one-shot Sinscales.

I then sit there for 20 minutes grinding against them.

Eventually I get bored and initiate the next phase of my plan; switch Yuna and Lulu in long enough for them to bonk an enemy or two, which is all the game needs to give them full experience for the fight. With that done, I have Lulu and Wakka blast to the fin a couple times until the battle ends. Easy-peasy.

Sin has had enough.

It rips the harpoons clean off their moorings…

… Lifts and slams its tail down, sending one last wave of water over the Liki…

… And leaves the ship in suddenly calm waters.

Tidus is nowhere to be found.

Wakka dives in after him.

But as they give each other the thumbs up…

… A new foe appears.

Unlike the previous boss, this one is a major threat. It has endlessly-respawning Sinscales still in their scale form, plus a draining standard attack that heals it for as much damage as it does to you…

… And a powerful special attack that hits all party members twice as hard. This fight is very much a damage race. It hits about as hard as anything we’ve seen so far and neither of our current party members have the endurance to take everything it can dish out head on. But there’s a secret to this fight.

This fight exists to force you to learn about status effects. Dark Attack is the first special ability Wakka learns; the Darkness it inflicts drastically drops the target’s accuracy, meaning Drain Touch misses more often than not. With Darkness, this fight goes from “you’re probably going to lose” to “doable with care and lots of potions”.

It eventually goes down. The game counts the last two fights as one and gives the rewards for both all at once.

:smug:

I guess we know what kind of spheres the Sinscales dropped. :stonklol:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 23, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Those harpoons are really messing with my head. WTF is with then weirdo reverse arms?!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Falconier posted:

meaning Drain Touch Mrs. more often than not.

Are you dictating these?

This does bring up a Final Fantasy VIII localization gaffe along these same lines, though. For the German they misinterpreted this same word this same way, so if you missed an attack... it’d show “Fraulein” instead of what would make sense.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

AweStriker posted:

Are you dictating these?

This does bring up a Final Fantasy VIII localization gaffe along these same lines, though. For the German they misinterpreted this same word this same way, so if you missed an attack... it’d show “Fraulein” instead of what would make sense.

Yeah, they've said a few times they use dictation software, but that particular one made me giggle.

Also, drat. Set for power spheres for a long time to come, I see!

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

AweStriker posted:

Are you dictating these?

I spotted that one last night and fixed it - then forgot to save the change :negative:.

I used to do reviews in the Fatal and Friends thread. I was talking about something called the Vilani Imperium in one of them, but since I used villain to represent their names, I’d occasionally forget to find/replace and get “that’s not very nice” or “are we talking armies of Skeletors and Hordaks here?”

E: forgot to mention: thanks to Quackles and idhrendur for solving my math problem!

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 23, 2021

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

Falconier111 posted:

So I take the moment to do something very cheeky. Cheer is the first ability Tidus gets, boosting the active party’s Attack and Defense without using MP. With Kimahri and Wakka active and keeping the Scales under control, Tidus is free to keep spamming Cheer and boosting their stats until all three of them can reliably one-shot Sinscales.
If I remember right Cheer can stack a total of 5 times.

:colbert: Weak my friend, simply weak. Everyone know a regular grind will get you 30-40 levels in this fight. And it's where you get Blitz Ace, I mean why else would you grind out Slayer in the tutorial fight with Auron.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 9: No Tears Next Time, Hm?

Our heroes survived.

But this is Spira.

And death is everywhere.

(I kept hoping it would work in reverse, too.)

(I was just fooling myself.)

(I started to give up hope.)

(This was my new reality, and I was stuck in it for good.)

I am the summoner Yuna. I have come from the temple in Besaid. If there is no other summoner here, please allow me to perform the sending.

Middle-Aged Man: A summoner! Oh, thank Yevon!

Middle-Aged Woman: Ours died in the attack…

Take me to the burials.

They run off.

At this point we get the opportunity to run around town and, well, look at the aftermath.

The Aurochs have taken the initiative and gone to work on repairs – good on them – but the surviving locals are nowhere to be found.

Uh, Lulu, what’s a “sending”? Are we going somewhere?

The crowd turns around and stares.

Uh, I got hit by Sin toxin a while back, still can’t remember much.

Young Woman:… I know my husband is out there now, but I don’t remember his name or face.

Old Man: Sin took my children this morning, but I’m not sure if I lost two or three. It takes so much away from us.

Young Woman: May we recover soon.

Crowd: May you recover soon.

Filled with grief over their own death, they refuse to face their fate. They yearn to live on, and resent those still alive. You see, they envy the living.

Should these souls remain in Spira, they become fiends that prey on the living. The sending takes them to the Farplane, where they may rest in peace.

Summoners do this?

Look.

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster OST 29. Farplane Sending (RECOMMENDED LISTENING)

(I didn’t known much about this world, but I knew about fiends form Zanarkand. At least, I knew they popped up from time to time in back alleys and attacked people.)

(The Crimson Blades – Auron worked with them – got funding from city government to hunt them down before they killed anybody.)

(But I’d never heard of this Farplane. Or them coming out of dead people.)

(Looking back on it, I know it wasn’t as awful as I remember.)

(The sending wasn’t gruesome or anything. I’d honestly call it beautiful.)

(But something about it...)

(Something in my lizard brain could smell death in the air and told me to run.)

(It felt like something about that dance was trying to tear my soul out of its body too.)

(… I keep struggling to find the words to describe what witnessing a sending is like, but I don’t think there are any.)

(I can’t imagine what it was like to perform it.)

Yuna chose her own path. She knew from the beginning what it meant. All we can do is protect her along the way. Until the end.

You did very well!

(I wished there would never be a next time. No more people being killed by Sin. No more sendings for Yuna. Everyone stood there watching her.)

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 25, 2021

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Letty's one of two people in the entire game who call Tidus by name; the other is a girl on the Zanarkand bridge back in the beginning who says "Good luck, Tidus!" if spoken to. (Square could have at least done what Persona 5 did a decade later and just have Letty's voice actor say "Watch your step. It's not safe this way." and throw Tidus's name in the subtitles.)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always thought how weird it was that they made so many caskets so quickly, but as I got older I realized that in a place like Spira, they probably just have them ready to go. And considering that bodies disappear after the Sending, they probably get reused, too.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The sending is one of the most beautiful parts of the game. I originally saw the sending scene on some random youtube video and thought it was from a actual movie Square made. (Yes I thought this was part of the Spirits Within somehow.)

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

The sending is one of the most beautiful parts of the game. I originally saw the sending scene on some random youtube video and thought it was from a actual movie Square made. (Yes I thought this was part of the Spirits Within somehow.)

That sure was a movie that I'm certain I watched and I still don't remember anything about. At least the visuals were good in Advent Children.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's me, I'm the guy who'll go to bat for Spirits Within. It was good. I mean okay it wasn't amazing and it was a bit hokey in places but it resonated and its CG was a decade ahead of its time. I'd love to see the alternate universe where it didn't bomb and Aki Ross actually became the "virtual actress" she was intended to be and probably wound up saving us from having to have Final Fantasy XIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Fedule posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who'll go to bat for Spirits Within. It was good. I mean okay it wasn't amazing and it was a bit hokey in places but it resonated and its CG was a decade ahead of its time. I'd love to see the alternate universe where it didn't bomb and Aki Ross actually became the "virtual actress" she was intended to be and probably wound up saving us from having to have Final Fantasy XIII.

You and me are on this boat together.