Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

You know, it really didn't sink in for me until now that Seymour's promotion was just two weeks before you first see him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I love Blitzball. Don't understand the hate it gets, it's a great minigame.

It also always bugged me how biased the announcers are. Sure the Goers are the home team but they really take their bias to the next level. People from all over Spira are here, be more impartial!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

SoundwaveAU posted:

It also always bugged me how biased the announcers are. Sure the Goers are the home team but they really take their bias to the next level. People from all over Spira are here, be more impartial!

Spira in general just kinda seems like that. There's not really a whole lot of people who like our party, for example, when they literally have no reason to dislike them. The people of Besaid do, and a few NPCs, but Yuna really gets an odd amount of disdain

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

SoundwaveAU posted:

Its a fine game, but there's a couple bad things about it. That tutorial? Notice how there isn't actually any blitzball yet?

Second... well anyone whose played the game knows about it, and anyone whose seeing this for the first time will learn.

Also time for me to remind everyone of the cool FF pope names.

Remember FFT's Marge Funeral?

How about this guy, his full name is Yo Mika.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I think I've spent more time playing Blitzball than I've spent on the rest of the game.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Okay, I'm no die-hard follower of sportsball, but how does literally the worst team in the world who haven't made it past the first round in who knows how many years get seeded?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Black Robe posted:

Okay, I'm no die-hard follower of sportsball, but how does literally the worst team in the world who haven't made it past the first round in who knows how many years get seeded?

Presumably it has to do with Yuna coming with them due to Summoner politics.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Black Robe posted:

They didn't want you to have to play too much blitzball right out of the gate? :shrug: That and the Psyches are probably the second worst team, so the thinking may be "Well, maybe instead of the stompfest we got from the Goers/Aurochs match the last 3 years, let's have some kind of mildly interesting show before the stompfest."

I enjoyed the management aspect a bit more than the actual game. Probably still counts as spoilers, so: I loved just running about asking everyone if they were interested in playing with my giant knobbly balls. And very random people would be, and would be surprisingly good! Like a random-rear end Yevonite down in a canyon like ten areas ahead with a 99 Catch rating. Or something. Again, longass time since I played. But I remember that guy, a guy on the Al Bhed Psyches, and, surprisingly, Keepa, were especially good, although I think Keepa's strength may not actually be goaltending.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Dareon posted:

They didn't want you to have to play too much blitzball right out of the gate? :shrug: That and the Psyches are probably the second worst team, so the thinking may be "Well, maybe instead of the stompfest we got from the Goers/Aurochs match the last 3 years, let's have some kind of mildly interesting show before the stompfest."

I enjoyed the management aspect a bit more than the actual game. Probably still counts as spoilers, so: I loved just running about asking everyone if they were interested in playing with my giant knobbly balls. And very random people would be, and would be surprisingly good! Like a random-rear end Yevonite down in a canyon like ten areas ahead with a 99 Catch rating. Or something. Again, longass time since I played. But I remember that guy, a guy on the Al Bhed Psyches, and, surprisingly, Keepa, were especially good, although I think Keepa's strength may not actually be goaltending.

It makes sense from a gameplay perspective but not so much from a real world tournament perspective. My assumption is that the bracket is just entirely randomly generated for some reason and this year the Aurochs got lucky.

That guy down in the canyon is the only permanently missable Blitzball player, as he disappears from the map after you fight Sin. Keepa gets the highest shoot stat in the game at level 99, but all his other stats are so garbage it's not worth it to ever use him.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Just reading that update stuck the Blitzball music in my head.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That Seymour guy seems swell

I can’t get over the fact that the one screenshot I managed to catch of Seymour looking at Yuna makes him look completely deranged.

Black Robe posted:

To be honest I thought it was a mixture of pity and the organizers not giving a poo poo :shrug:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Black Robe posted:

It's just random chance. Basically, the tournament is structured as a classical competition pyramid with 8 teams and random distribution. But there are only 6 teams around. Maybe the other teams died recently. This structure effectively means that two lucky teams win the first of the three matches by default.
It's a bad structure for a tournament, but what are you gonna do about it?

Giving out those freebies randomly is at least better than making the ones on top working even less for it.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Maybe the other teams died recently.

In a world where Sin attacks happen randomly and more commonly along coastlines (which is where Blitzball players would be practicing unless they have a huge aquarium inland) this isn't exactly an outrageously improbable notion.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will say, whatever you want to say about the Al Bhed Psyches, they have one of the best goalies in the game.

But I can go into another fun detail on that note a bit later.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

I will say, whatever you want to say about the Al Bhed Psyches, they have one of the best goalies in the game.

But I can go into another fun detail on that note a bit later.

On the other hand, they are complete idiots for not letting that other guy play. He's so ridiculously fast!

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

On the other hand, they are complete idiots for not letting that other guy play. He's so ridiculously fast!

The blitzball AI is terrible in and out of the arena. It's almost comical.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a strategy for cheesing blitzball to get some unlocks in the later game, but we'll talk about that when we get there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I know Blitzball is some sort of meme, but is it actually fun to play or is it really stupid?

It looks to be some sort of hockey/handball mashup which seem cool on paper

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I know Blitzball is some sort of meme, but is it actually fun to play or is it really stupid?

My problem with it is that it's just tedious as hell.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

It's a decently interesting action-rpg but it's also very plodding and doesn't really hold up well as being a good simulation of a supposedly blisteringly paced contact sport.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Some people really like it. I never played more games than I absolutely had to.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

hockey is a solid analogue for what blitzball should've been. idk how spoilery blitzball mechanics discussion is so i'll just throw tags on it for safety's sake:
imagine playing a hockey game where the gameplay paused every time you skate too close to an opponent, and you had a one-turn turn-based-battle to determine whether your pass/shot/attempt to skate by was successful or not

now imagine getting thrown into that hockey game with nothing but the tutorial we just witnessed, with what is essentially the worst possible team you could be stuck with, and your opponent has a really good goalie.

all that said I maintained a blitzball-only save for literal years, so v:v:v

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I know there are technical limitations and all, but honestly, one of the weirdest parts of blitzball is that it happens in a water sphere, but the whole gameplay happens on a plane. Everyone is always on the same height. You could basically play it on a field without changing any mechanics. Guys, you trained holding your breath to dive in a spherical pool of water. Use that!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
There is a fan theory that Square Enix was going to put Blitzball into the Stormblood expansion, but it didn't work out, so we just got a lot of underwater sections instead.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

My problem with it is that it's just tedious as hell.

Thats all the minigames

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 14: A Little Short On Fun These Days

Tidus yawns and throws his head back while Wakka gives people another run down on the basic rules of the sport they play for a living. The door to the locker room swings open and Yuna and Lulu march in.

Wait, isn’t this the men’s locker –

Au-Auron?

Yes, Sir Auron! Let’s go find him!

C-Come back quick, ya?

Hey, I’ll be back. Look, Wakka, I have faith in you guys, pull it together. I’ll be right back.

:sigh::hai:

Huh?

Sir Auron was also my father’s guardian. So, he might know where Sir Jecht is. Let’s go now!

(It didn’t even occur to me to think that the Auron Yuna was talking about and the one that I knew from Zanarkand could be two different people. I’d lived through too many coincidences since I came here. I knew it was the same guy.)

On our way down the hallway, we pass a couple of unusual individuals. Yuna dashes ahead while Tidus stops to chat.

Psyche 1: Y myto summoner!

Psyche 2: Fa femm dyga ubbundihedo

Tidus: Hey! Al Bhed Psyches, right? Uh…

He pauses, then starts speaking slowly and deliberately.

Some Al Bhed saved me the other day, and… This girl Rikku gave me food and…

Psyche 1: Ra drehg cmuf cbaygehk femm syga ic lusbnaraht myhkiyka fa hud ghuf?

Psyche 2: Res Yevoneda.

You don’t understand me, do you?

Psyche 1: Nylecd.

Psyche 2: Oui aqlica?

Uh, anyway… If you meet Rikku, tell her thanks for me. Oh, and as for the first game? May the best team win!

Psyche 1: Oui nekrd, dans ec fnuhk. Yevonubrupa paddan?

Psyche 2: Ur lusa uh! Oui ekhunehk res frah res dymgehk du oui! Dryd nita yd pacd, yht OUI cyo E teclnesehydeja?!

I, uh, I’m just gonna leave you two to your argument. See ya!

Luca is a big city; while it doesn’t have the visual scale of Zanarkand, in practical terms it’s far larger. Most of the blitzball players are lounging around somewhere in the area with their own lines of dialogue, and there must be at least 50 total NPCs to talk to. But it’s still only a matter of time before we bump into a very harried Yuna trying to escape an interview.

Really nice out today…

:stare:

I think one of my guardians needs my attention. Come on!

Oh, uh, totally.

Think you for helping me. I’m not always good out in the open like that.

No problem, I get it. I got really sick of crowds too back at Zanarkand.

I’m probably going to have to get used to it, though…

Hey, look. Yuna!

:toot:

What was that?

If you ever need me to bail you out, use this.

I’d know that sound anywhere. If I hear it, I’ll come running. Try it, try it! Put your fingers in your mouth like this.

This is kind of weird…

You’re the daughter of the High Summoner and I’m a blitzball player from Zanarkand, there’s nothing normal about us. Try it!

She gets an awkward wheeze.

I don’t think it’s working.

It takes a little practice, but it’s not going to take you long to figure it out. I guess your gonna have to stick with me until then, though.

Yes sir!

Back to the map again, but this time Yuna is following us around. Not sure where Kimahri is; maybe he’s trying to blend into the crowd?

Hell of a town, huh?

Luca is the second largest city in Spira. Over 50,000 people live here!

That’s it?

What do you mean, “that’s it”? The next largest city in Spira, Guadosalam, only has around 12,000 inhabitants!

I think maybe 8 million people live in Zanarkand.

That’s… How do you feed everyone?

Barely. We get food shortages all the time over there.

We could never have a city that big in Spira. Because when a lot of people start to gather…

Sin, huh?

Mm.

Then is it really safe here?

Well, it’s a little dangerous, but the Crusaders have protected Luca for centuries.

How? I thought fighting Sin was suicide.

They have flotillas that patrol off the coast and keep watch. If any of them spot Sin, they group together with anybody else they can find and try to draw it away. It usually works, but it’s very, very dangerous for them. But they’d do anything to protect the Stadium.

Just the Stadium?

It’s really the only entertainment that we have.

No pressure, huh? Hey, this looks like it’s the town square, so are there shops around here?

Probably.

Let’s go buy things we don’t need!

Haha, okay!

There are, in fact, a couple places we can hit up for various things – weapons, armor, items, there’s even a place we can go to buy spheres that we can plug into those blue stand things to play tracks and cutscenes we’ve already encountered again.

We can also go and try to leave town, but our old pals the Besaid Crusaders (Besaiders?) turn us around while moaning about not being able to watch the match.

After heading back down and waiting for Yuna’s pathfinding to unfuck itself, we eventually wander into a bar.

:confused:

Yenke: Kimahri forget Yenke? Forget Biran?

Biran: Leave Kimahri, Yenke. Kimahri is small Ronso. Kimahri so small can’t see Yenke and Biran’s faces.

Yenke: Kimahri forget Ronso friends? We taught you much at time of horn-molt! Biran taught Kimahri to be strong Ronso.

Biran: Maybe taught too much.

:drat:

Bartender: Take it outside! The tournament’s starting, you hear?

Oh gently caress.

… To participate in this great contest of bravery, skill, and strength.

17-Blitzball Gamblers-FFX OST

Tidus and Kimahri rush out of the bar, only to find Lulu waiting for them.

Where in Spira have you been!?

Looking for Auron? I thought –

In exchange for her safe return, they want the Aurochs to lose.

…Man, that HAS to be illegal.

If they’re only blitzball players, I doubt they’d do anything drastic. But we shouldn’t take chances.

On our way back to the docks…

… We stop to pick up yet another Primer lying on the floor outside of the Goers locker room…

O’aka XXIII But I’m always open for business!

… And run into O’aka again. This time he has an actual, honest to God inventory, including a spear for Kimahri that does extra Lightning damage. We will make good use of that shortly.

Machina. They were expecting us.

As we make our way towards the dock, we start running into these mechanical speed bumps. They’re tough enough to take a couple hits from Tidus and do non-insignificant damage, but Lulu’s Thunder magic and Kimahri’s electrified spear make short work of their Lightning weakness.

As we cut through the last of the little robots, the characters glance up at a nearby screen.

Jimma: But the referee doesn’t call the foul! Wakka’s taking a real beating out there.

He’s still in there!

Not for long. He can’t – the ship!

They run down to the ramp…

… And leap over onto the ship…

… As a hatch opens and something rises out of the deck.

… They weaponized a pitching machine. Haven’t seen that one before.

Let’s take a step back now and talk about history! And speaking of flotillas and danger from the sea, let’s talk about inheritance law in Merovingian France.

Going into the 700s, the Kingdom of the Franks had a land problem. By law, every noble had to divide his holdings between his sons upon his death, with the oldest getting the most important titles; a fair way to divvy up an inheritance, maybe, but it meant holdings kept getting smaller and smaller over the generations. Meanwhile, many lords would deed some of their lands to the church at some point and die confident that that’d secured their way into heaven – and since the local church hierarchy was staffed by the kids of high nobility who often ruled church lands like feudal lords, it didn’t feel all that different from dividing up your stuff normally. Over time, the amount of land available to nobles declined and the amount of land the church controlled grew, making it richer and richer.

You ever heard of European monks? While there is A LOT more to their history than just that, monastic orders first started getting popular around this time in part as a way of rejecting the luxury all that income was buying for church officials. Naturally, the locals glommed onto how virtuous these new monks were trying to be and started giving THEM lots of land, because they were looking for spiritual shortcuts just like the rest of us. Many of these monasteries ended up channeling that wealth into producing lots and lots of books for a variety of reasons, eventually becoming the de facto libraries of France. And this pattern repeated across the Catholic world until you could find entire monastic writing traditions everywhere from Ireland to Italy.

Then the Vikings swung by.

Even today something like 90% of the world’s population lives within 10 miles of open water accessible from the sea, and the proportion back then was even higher. Monastic lands were no exception. As far as Scandinavian raiders were concerned, monasteries were stone piggy banks full of idiots who wouldn’t fight back, and the laboriously illustrated and gorgeously decorated manuscripts they kept around were just another kind of luxury object they could take home, strip down, or sell. We can’t really calculate just how many texts we lost in that era to sackings and burnings. The Catholic Church catches a lot of flak these days for trying to suppress knowledge and holding humanity back, but if you want a better candidate for which single group destroyed the most pre-medieval knowledge, you might look at Vikings killing off the continent’s best scribes.

And I have to emphasize that the Vikings got loving everywhere. Viking raids so destabilized Germanic society in the modern Low Countries that it radically diverged from its neighbors as it rebuilt itself, eventually giving rise to the Dutch. Dublin began life as a Viking fort, as did Waterford and Cork. The word “Russia” probably started as a description of the red hair color of the Scandinavians who founded its predecessor states. The French king gave a huge chunk of northern France to an invading Danish army in exchange for them fighting off future raiders; their descendents, the Normans, conquered territories from England to Sicily to Syria. A Viking leader once sacked the city of Lucca in northern Italy because he thought he was sacking Rome. 62 Viking ships landed in Morocco in the 850s, smashing through the local military to pillage the countryside. It was really bad, is what I’m saying, and even though Scandinavia eventually converted to Christianity and joined the mainstream of Western civilization, the damage had already been done.

I’m not trying to say that the Vikings were an unholy scourge that sought to wipe civilization from the face of the earth. I mean, they kind of were, but they were also so much more that. The point I’m trying to make is that, even in reality, a consistent destructive force coming from the sea absolutely can completely wreck attempts to build a steady society.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 6, 2021

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Remember kids: Don't talk poo poo about people right in front them, thinking they don't understand you. Sometimes, they do. And not all of them make it obvious.

I always found it a bit strange that the Psyches would stoop to rigging the game with a kidnapping. I mean, aren't the Aurochs the worst team ever? Why are they scared of them?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The dictation software had an oopsie.

Emphasis mine posted:

We could never have a city that bacon Spira. Because when a lot of people start to gather…

As for the Blitzball thing, I read a series of articles going over the game that I'm not going to link for obvious mega spoiler reasons, and the part about Blitzball can be summarized as "all the narrative threads tell you that you should win, it's really unsatisfying and lovely if you lose, plus this is your first experience with Blitzball, so why are they giving you the shittiest players on the shittiest team against top tier all-stars with no chance to learn or practice?"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

NeverHelm posted:

Remember kids: Don't talk poo poo about people right in front them, thinking they don't understand you. Sometimes, they do. And not all of them make it obvious.

I always found it a bit strange that the Psyches would stoop to rigging the game with a kidnapping. I mean, aren't the Aurochs the worst team ever? Why are they scared of them?

Watsonian explanation (no actual spoilers but foreshadowing for later): Lulu doesn't speak Al Bhed well and didn't interpret the 'ransom' note correctly. The Psyches did kidnap Yuna, but their request to 'give up' isn't intended for the Aurochs.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

NeverHelm posted:

This whole section is pretty contrived outside of the character beats - which are cheesy, even though they are pretty compelling.

Also, fixed the biggest dictation error of the LP so far, thanks MechaCrash. Now the lack of bacon will compound Spira’s misery :(

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Now the lack of bacon will compound Spira’s misery :(

Well, Yuna did say Spira was short of fun... =(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Logistically speaking, this part always felt weird and a bit stupid to me.

In the time it took for Tidus to be distracted by that little bar fight,
-the Psyches kidnapped Yuna
-they Informed Wakka and Lulu
-and Lulu had enough time to come over from the stadium

May I make a slight request? I think you should put the plaintext of Al-beth in spoilertags behind that. I don't want to bother opening a cypher site and copying it in every time.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

May I make a slight request? I think you should put the plaintext of Al-beth in spoilertags behind that. I don't want to bother opening a cypher site and copying it in every time.

Been chewing on this. Any thoughts, rest of the thread?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too would like that, at the very least for your additions since I remember the original text, or at least the context of it.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I'd love to see the translations!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Likewise, I'd like to see the translations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Welp, there you go. Should I go back and do the same in prior updates?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Falconier111 posted:

Welp, there you go. Should I go back and do the same in prior updates?

:effort:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I could stand to see the existing updates amended if it's not a pain to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Fedule posted:

I could stand to see the existing updates amended if it's not a pain to do.

I'll do so if I have the time, but from now on I'll be spoilering the translation.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 7, 2021