Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Just played through this all the way through for the first time. Only thing is, not realizing version differences, I played through the original PS2 U.S. version. The version that didn't include... certain endgame Superbosses. Or the option for the Expert Sphere Grid that the PAL version added. Still, I enjoyed it. Interested to see what you do with this after your last LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dareon posted:

The implants idea is a good one, based on the tech level of Zanarkand. I think the canon explanation is that Tidus and the rest of the Blitzballers are just really good at holding their breath. :downs:

I believe so, yes. Not an important plot or lore detail by any stretch, so not bothering to spoiler: If I remember right, Blitzball players you meet later talk about how the players get a chance to breathe during halftime, and they mention one particular player on the team sometimes doesn't bother. The fact that some players do need to take that breath does strongly point to "These guys are just capable of superhuman breath-holding times", especially the ones that don't bother to take the breather at halftime.

I may be off on the details though.

I also appreciate the added dialogue being properly in the as-of-yet-unnamed language. Even remembering not to translate a certain Proper Noun in there!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
That video worked just fine. You're good there!

Ahhh, Wakka. He means well. :)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I argue that it should be spelled "Leeda" to keep with the Aurochs' naming scheme - the one thing they all have in common (Wakka included!) is that they all have a double-letter, like Keepa, Wakka, Botta, Letty, Datto and Jassu.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dareon posted:

Swapping party members in so everyone got XP was not a very good mechanic. It felt like an obligation and needed to be done in every battle unless it was absolutely trash mobs while you were redoing an area. And usually you need to cycle through everyone that's not good for the current fight, then back to the paper-rock-scissors-lizard-spock winners to actually finish the fight.

This. For the love of god, this killed my OCD when I finally got around to playing the game recently. (Turns out, because I was not aware of the various version differences, I played the original U.S. version without the... added content.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

AweStriker posted:

Are you dictating these?

This does bring up a Final Fantasy VIII localization gaffe along these same lines, though. For the German they misinterpreted this same word this same way, so if you missed an attack... it’d show “Fraulein” instead of what would make sense.

Yeah, they've said a few times they use dictation software, but that particular one made me giggle.

Also, drat. Set for power spheres for a long time to come, I see!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I didn't have a lot of trouble with it, but I tend to have pretty good reflexes for things like this. And it makes something coming up *so* much easier.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will say, whatever you want to say about the Al Bhed Psyches, they have one of the best goalies in the game.

But I can go into another fun detail on that note a bit later.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, Jecht Shot really takes a LOT out of Tidus early on.

But, if you really get into the Blitzball minigame as it opens up, the HP cost becomes a lot less painful due to rising HP stats, giving Tidus the staying power to REALLY turn Jecht Shot into the hilariously OP silliness that it is. I remember Letty and Datto both being at least passable forwards - For a brief while, I wanted to try to accomplish stuff with the Original Aurochs, but I gave up on that after a bit. But Letty was at least a passable Center, with a good Pass score to get the ball to either Datto or Tidus, and while it's not great, Datto at least has the second-best Shooting score on the team if we only count one of Wakka/Tidus.

As an aside, Wakka and Tidus have *very* similar starting stats - Wakka has more HP and one more point of endurance (which could be attributed to starting at level 3 instead of 2), but as a consolation for not having access to Tidus' shooting techniques, Wakka's Shooting score is 3 points higher than Tidus. Beyond that, their starting stats are the same - the two are equally bad at passing, attacking, or blocking. Like Wakka says - get the ball and shoot like crazy! It's... basically all they're good for.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Fedule posted:

I'd have to double check the tables to confirm but I have a vague recollection of the whole joke with the Aurochs being that they're poo poo and level like poo poo until the tail end of the curve at which point they just hulk out and become stupid good, or something. I remember Keepa secretly being one of the best keepers in the game.

As already mentioned, Keepa gets the highest SH score in the game for some godforsaken reason if you max out levels. Datto ends up as the third-fastest swimmer in the game. The others don't have anything particularly special about them, but Jassu in particular starts out mediocre and only gets worse from there.

There's another team however, the Kilika Beasts. They are the true Magikarp Team - their stats are overall lower than even the Aurochs', but most of them turn out to be some of the best players in the game at high levels. Their two Forwards become the two best forwards in the game, hands down, if we ignore Tidus getting the massive advantage that is the Jecht Shot.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, a lot of people who make fun of that scene seem to have either missed, or deliberately ignore the context that said laughter is meant to sound like that. It's forced laughter that is meant to sound stupid and awkward, even in-setting. That's why he's doing it like that, and why him and Yuna fall over genuinely laughing afterward.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Falconier111 posted:

You can only have so many players on the team at a time, so I ended up giving a couple of Aurochs standbys the boot. Ironically, the only original player I keep on the active team is Jassu.

Why Jassu?!? Dude is dead weight at his *best*.

But yes, the Thunder Plains dodging is horrible. I was playing on an emulator that could slow down the game, so I slowed it down enough that I could reliably react fast enough to dodge the lightning, then abused the hell out of savestates while keeping track of my progress separately.

And yes, holy poo poo the 0:00:0 is horrible and whoever designed that hell should burn.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love how everyone in the world has this absurd fashion sense and there's Tidus' mom, looking like she's picking him up after soccer practice

See, now I'm just imagining some Junior Blitzball League for kids. I have no idea how that would even work. But I could totally see Kid!Tidus playing it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Falconier111 posted:

I did, thanks.

That’s good to know, but... I’d have to make Lulu attack to take advantage of that. Lulu. Using a mage’s weapon just feels wrong, you know?

They're a pain to fight, but IIRC the Basilisks a little ways back can actually drop a number of stonetouch weapons. It's just a question of being willing to spend the time to get any.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Writing for a racist character does not mean you endorse or approve of their opinions. They are part of the story being told, nothing more and nothing less. All I have to say on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Considering how many times Tidus & Crew have come up close and personal with Sin and come out largely okay, when just about everyone else who gets close is left massively screwed up by the Toxin, or else just horrendously dead, I think just about the only explanation is that Jecht still has some amount of control, and is actively trying to avoid harming Tidus.