Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ask not who the gals scoop for, they scoop for ye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I know basically nothing about the Glorious Nippon side, so I wasn't going to win anything, anyway. I'm glad they're keeping it surprising though!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rarity posted:

gently caress I clicked on this thread without thinking before I got to Britt/Nyla on Dynamite :negative:

Not emptyquoting.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MorningMoon posted:

reading those ahead of me in the list... if Yuka wins i think i might take it all

i just realized i put Riho to win, not Yuka. Just need her to win 3 matches and I can defeat you all's brackets

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Has any information come out on how to watch the event on Sunday? Does one just need to sign up for a BR account? Is just having a BR Live account ok?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Has any information come out on how to watch the event on Sunday? Does one just need to sign up for a BR account? Is just having a BR Live account ok?
I don't think it's on BR Live. I'm not sure if you need a bleacherreport account or if it'll just be on this page when it starts though.

https://bleacherreport.com/all-elite-wrestling

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Every time I’ve seen it pushed they’ve said its on the BR app (not BR Live) so don’t know if you have to be on a mobile device or if you can just watch it in browser.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
DESPY AGAIN!!!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Penguin Patrol posted:

DESPY AGAIN!!!!!

Tony Khan does it again, El Desperado to beat Hikaru Shida for the AEW Women's Championship!

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
it's 2021 and El Desperado is going to have 4 belts

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Penguin Patrol posted:

it's 2021 and El Desperado is going to have 4 belts

He's getting the AEW and NWA Women's belts? :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

He's getting the AEW and NWA Women's belts? :aaa:

I heard that they canceled all the prototype models of Britt Baker's action figures so they could mass produce a bunch of Despy ones instead :hai:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If El Desperado is going for those belts, can we expect a name change to La Desperada?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Hey

Riho v Thunder Rosa

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

here's how maki itoh can still win

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Look if she pins Hikaru Shida in the 6-woman tag she gets a title shot, that's how wrestling works

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Penguin Patrol posted:

DESPY AGAIN!!!!!

lol sorry, somehow i left the NJPW thread without even realizing it

but hey

Rosa vs Riho is tonight

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
https://bleacherreport.com/post/all-elite-wrestling/d857fbd3-8b50-4136-8981-df6eb805e307

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Another real good night of matches brings with it a new leader at the top of the pack.

Britt, Rosa, and Aniki just murdering brackets left and right this past week.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
they did a real good job of making sure like everything I picked was wrong

and I'm honestly pretty happy about it because all the surprises have ruled and the matches have been great

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I'm so close yet so far. Dang it Nyla why'd you have to eliminate Britt :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My brackets, my precious, precious brackets :gonk:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Absolutely wrong about the brackets, absolutely fine with the results. This tournament has been of such incredible quality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I basically got everything wrong but I'd be thrilled with any of the remaining wrestlers winning, ESPECIALLY if the winner ends up being Ryo Mizunami, who has been an absolute revelation to me.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I was very wrong but that's alright. I like being surprised.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I think a lot of people, myself included, were wrong but not at all disappointed. This tournament had really honed in and given us a lot of what makes AEW fun and good.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sometimes you don't get what you want: You get what you need. Bret Hart said that, specifically about Ryo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think my biggest surprise is that this tournament just kinda reminded us that they've kept Nyla dormant for a reason. Nyla vs Tay was basically a first-time match given how much Tay has improved. Nyla vs Britt hadn't happened yet as singles. And we're coming in to Rosa vs Rose. If she wins that then it's Rose vs Ryo, another first time match. These are all basically first-time matches, and the first half was rich in lore about how Nyla destroyed Tay and Britt a year ago.

At this point, if I wouldn't be mad if Rose takes it even if it is Shida vs Rose 3. Nyla terrorizing the roster and taking the belt would be a good setup for the division. Specially if, say, Las Sicarias joined up with her (Vickie managing them makes sense in my head) then you get Shida building her faction of good with Joshis and eventually Statlander. And Rosa, Jade, Britt get to be solo acts with beef on both sides.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

If they’re going to keep bringing in Diamanté and Ivelisse in, there are certainly worse uses of them than Nyla’s goons.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Gonna be updating the brackets tonight, been hectic with work the last couple of days. We got one more match to go and it should be real good!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Robviously posted:

Gonna be updating the brackets tonight, been hectic with work the last couple of days. We got one more match to go and it should be real good!

You'll all be laughing out the other side of your faces when somehow Yuka beats Britt in the final anyway and I get all the points!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Robviously posted:

My bracket got chokeslammed, and I was off to such a great start. Good matches though.

Anyone from the Japan side coming over to the US would be great.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Now that it's over, what a hell of a tournament. There were certainly some issues with how it was broadcast but pretty much all the matches (save for one) delivered and it was booked wonderfully. I'd love to see them revisit this concept, the US vs. Japan bracket was a fantastic idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, it was a great concept and the matches were drat good, and I would love to see it again sometime when the Japanese side can have crowds present as well.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's also a concept you could use with other countries. Like, let's say Thunder Rosa is your champ this time next year: have her go to Mexico and book a tournament of luchadoras.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah I'd love to see this happen every year. Almost all my fave matches of the last month have come from this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

It's also a concept you could use with other countries. Like, let's say Thunder Rosa is your champ this time next year: have her go to Mexico and book a tournament of luchadoras.

Kris Statlander: Man I have the best idea.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

God drat what a way to end the tournament! That Ryo/Nyla match was everything I didn't know I wanted and I think it really highlighted the best of what AEW does in bringing new and unique talent to a wide audience.

I'm going to update the final table tonight but there really wasn't much change except at the top. Our winner and 2nd place entrant were the only ones to correctly pick Nyla to win the US side and they both correctly picked Aniki as our new #1 contender.

Without further ado, congrats to:

Our champion, IceAgeComing with a whopping 19 points! Clawing their way into 2nd place was GEORGE W BUSHI with 17 points, and our third place winner was Insertnamehere31 with 11 points. I'll be in touch to arrange prizes at some point today.

No other joshi coming stateside is a bit of a bummer at the moment but I feel like it'll be an inevitability as more people get vaccinated and things open up properly.

I want to thank everyone that participated, this was a blast to run and I was blown away by the amount of entrants I got. I hope that they make this a reoccurring thing somehow so that we can make this a reoccurring thing as well!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

:negative: goddam this was not the plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

drat second place. I did better in this than I do in the promotions I regularly watch