Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
LEGIT VS THUNDER 9 8.91%
DARBY VS JOEY 11 10.89%
PAC KILLS BRILEY 4 3.96%
FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE ANYTHING GOES 77 76.24%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Congrats to MLW’s newest signing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Maybe I'm overthinking it, but wouldn't it be just a bit too obvious for Thea to do the "hint hint I'm showing up on AEW" thing?

She's got to know that a hint like that would ultimately deflate the reveal tonight if it happened.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'd be happy to have Thea on board. She was great in her role in WWE, she just never seemed to get properly rewarded for it. I admit that's the only place I've ever seen her work though.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

As always I side with Hitchcock. Suspense over surprise. Wrestling is better like that too. Set something up and pay it off, you can actually get people to watch that way and the whole deal is satisfying rather than just the payoff.

Just because the swerve or the surprise has been the way of wrestling for 20 years now doesn’t mean it should be, especially as the last 20 years has done nothing but show how diminishing the returns are on that from a creative standpoint.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Maybe Aleister is getting sent down, err, sideways, to NXT to play the hits as a standout moody guy in leather with a metalcore theme and she’s happy for him.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Maybe Aleister is getting sent down, err, sideways, to NXT to play the hits as a standout moody guy in leather with a metalcore theme and she’s happy for him.

They don't want him back down in NXT, supposedly.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Lone Goat posted:

A venue with Wrestling, Pinball, and Beer sounds like it was created especially for me.

Total same.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

https://twitter.com/shopaew/status/1362093140748992513?s=21

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I love how much nonsense is on that TH2 shirt.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Archer should start doing a testicle claw and call it the BDE CLAW

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pylons posted:

They don't want him back down in NXT, supposedly.
Wouldn’t want to take screentime away from DexterLoomis. As far as we know Aleister can’t even draw wacky caricatures

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i am extremely excited for Comedy Wrestler Luther against orange cassidy. give me the goofiest serpentico spots you have

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Pylons posted:

It makes no sense and every sense. I might get a size bigger than normal so I can properly molly dance in it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Erebus posted:

maybe they're just excited Rush Limbaugh died

Yeah she's cool so this tracks. It was my first thought when I heard the news too.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CobiWann posted:

It makes no sense and every sense. I might get a size bigger than normal so I can properly molly dance in it.

It's formatted in the style of a Jack Evans promo, which I respect.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

smarxist posted:

If the bucks can be honest their first run has kinda sucked with a lot of lukewarm stuff going on, a shocker upset that adds a ton of juice to the Inner Circle drama is such a great direction to go, you can put so much fuel on a great slow burning plot at the right time, you can have Sammy (masked or unmasked) cost the bucks the titles, or take out Jake when he tries to cheat at revolution, you can build Sammy / Jericho, grow Sammy / MJF, bring the best friends rivalry back when Trent is better, the whole division looks so much more interesting

Their first run has been made up of great matches and helping establish two young teams in the division, it has anything but sucked.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

*win the titles in maybe a top 10 tag match of all time*

Man this is lukewarm poo poo

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One thing I have always noticed regarding championship reigns, is that as soon as someone has a belt, there are always people ready to get it on somebody else they think also deserves it, or deserves it more. Its not always the same people, but hey, people like different wrestlers. Also possibly a matter of how the storytelling changes around a person when champ. Outside of rare cases, like Steve Austin, the booking around them, especially if they are face, gets a lot more passive, as the heels start to have to carry the motivated part of the feud, while the face champ has to sit around and wait to defend. It takes a lot to keep the active part of the feud on the face champion when they are more traditional babyfaces.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 17, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, the YB as tag champs makes perfect sense, they put out bangers pretty consistently. If anything, it says a lot about the division itself when there's still so many teams we want reigning. I really, really want Proud and Powerful at the top and breaking away from Inner Circle thanks to the gold, but I won't say no to Bucks winning and having a few more months with the belts.

Though I'm probably nicer to the bucks right now because Penta is stuck in Mexico and thus I can't be complaining loudly about how he and Fenix should have the gold.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Is this the most balls AEW has had in the air this close to a PPV? Other than the street fight, we've got:

Title picture is super muddled, could be heading for Kenny-Moxley II or a multiman match
Shida is supposed to face the tourney winner but they need to get through seven America-based matches in the next three weeks
MJF/Jericho have a title shot against the Young Bucks but they haven't interacted at all

I would assume Orange Cassidy-Miro is happening. Probably Hangman-Hardy or some variant thereof, although the contract is still a hanging thread. Maybe an NWA Women's Title match if Deeb loses in the tournament? Young Bucks-Good Brothers if the Bucks drop the belts?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FTR/Jurassic Express seems pretty locked in as well and probably some kinda PAC/Archer/Eddie triple threat if they're not doing a main event clusterfuck

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MJF/Jericho have a title shot. Not necessarily against the Bucks.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Is this the most balls AEW has had in the air this close to a PPV? Other than the street fight, we've got:

Title picture is super muddled, could be heading for Kenny-Moxley II or a multiman match
Shida is supposed to face the tourney winner but they need to get through seven America-based matches in the next three weeks
MJF/Jericho have a title shot against the Young Bucks but they haven't interacted at all

I would assume Orange Cassidy-Miro is happening. Probably Hangman-Hardy or some variant thereof, although the contract is still a hanging thread. Maybe an NWA Women's Title match if Deeb loses in the tournament? Young Bucks-Good Brothers if the Bucks drop the belts?

MJF/Jericho vs. Santana and Ortiz (or the Young Bucks)

Assuming Santana and Ortiz win, Good Brothers vs. Young Bucks

Orange vs. Miro

Hangman vs. Hardy

Shida vs. Tournament Winner

Street Fight

Main event title match (either a clusterfuck or Mox vs. Omega 2 (technically 3))

FTR vs. Jurassic Express

(Hopefully) NWA title, Riho vs. Deeb

I could see FTR vs. Jurassic Express being on the buy-in.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If Britt doesn't win the tournament we're likely getting a Britt/Rosa rematch too

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Rarity posted:

If Britt doesn't win the tournament we're likely getting a Britt/Rosa rematch too

Yeah, I think we either get Britt vs. Rosa or Deeb vs. Riho.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Malcolm Excellent posted:

"THAT'S TRINIDAD, WITH UPS! SHE JUST LAID OUT BRIT BAKER, AND THUNDER ROSA WITH A PACKAGE OF SYRUP FROM TASMANIA!" - Excalibur

"Not the drat Tazmanian syrup!" - JR

Gimmick Infringement!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Maki Itoh explodes out of Shida's luggage and we get Eddie and BBB vs Lance, PAC, Fenix and Itoh-Chan.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lol at this pic of Griff Garrison looking like a bully on a 90s Nickelodeon show.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

is pepsi ok posted:

lol at this pic of Griff Garrison looking like a bully on a 90s Nickelodeon show.

Who the gently caress is Griff Garrison?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think the Bucks have had a bad title reign at all. They've essentially gotten 2 new teams established in The Acclaim and Good Brothers. A third in Top Flight. You could even stretch and say they got TH2 reintroduced to the Dynamite mix. I actually think its been a really effective reign, its just that the focus hasn't really been on them and their story has been wrapped up in the Omega/Good Brothers stuff.

If the Bucks reign ends with them helping introduce and establish 2 brand new teams in Acclaimed and Top Flight, helping re-establish 2 existing teams in TH2 and Good Brothers, and finally elevating Santana and Ortiz to the next level then I think that's as good a reign as anyone's had in AEW. And of course they've consistently had good matches.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 17, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
As an example of how well the AEW tag titles are booked imagine how lame it would come off if a major stable began breaking up over which members got to challenge for the tag titles. It'd seem like a joke, but it's totally normal here, they are important!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Personally, I’m pulling for PnP to win tonight.

I think it’s the better story and only story for Jericho/MJF.

YB can work anybody of course, but the natural story (and the Bucks don’t need the belts, they’ve shown they’re top tier) is PnP gets the win.

I also don’t want to hear if PnP loses that they’re officially buried in places (not here), which I’m seeing already and this could turn the tide.

No matter the outcome, this is a must watch match between two top tier tag teams and I can’t wait to see who wins because I honestly can’t predict this one!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I want PnP to win because I really like PnP and always want my favourites to win.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

With all of the titles, there's a big swing from how the previous champions were presented. Mox showed up every week to show off how he was willing to throw down pretty much whenever; Kenny shows up to... do stuff? Cody defended the TNT title weekly; Darby had a match with Cage and... did stuff with STING! FTR were giving teams A Brush With Greatness, and the Bucks... have matches once in a while?

I'm not saying any of this is a problem. (The TNT title stuff kind of is, to me, at least.) Mox/Kenny just furthers how Kenny stole the belt (despite being the best in the world anyway) and Kenny doesn't actually want any part of defending it. The Bucks are already over, so they don't need a weekly TV slot to have short matches with other teams (and FTR giving "title matches" where you have like a third of the normal time to win built their personas as a team).

I guess Shida's about as prominent as anyone else in the women's roster (for good and bad) and there's a lot of jockeying for position to get the next title shot, so the title and champion are relevant even if the champion isn't omnipresent.

Anyway, AEW's titles are being booked just fine, but if you just started tuning in before, I can see people going "where'd all da belts go?" I'm all for champs having programs that aren't just taking on a line of challengers, though. (Except for the TNT title; if it's supposed to be a "TV Title" then it should be defended a lot.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They certainly wouldn't be "buried" with a clean loss but Santana and Ortiz have definitely been "drifting" for a very long time and if they lose this match clean that changes nothing. And would feel weird because it seems so obvious and easy to have Inner Circle drama cost them and advance them that way.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pylons posted:

I had to buy it, it's too good.

I also bought a Chaos Project shirt. I don't know how I feel about that.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Bucks have great matches and not great stories

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

the stories leading into this match have been all about bucks vs good brothers and the inner circle implosion so doing the title switch (probably off gallows and anderson costing the bucks the titles) and having the inner circle teams fight for the aew tag titles and the bullet club teams fight for the impact tag titles makes sense

but usually when i try to predict aew booking i overthink things and they just do the obvious thing, so i wouldn't put money on it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CellBlock posted:

With all of the titles, there's a big swing from how the previous champions were presented. Mox showed up every week to show off how he was willing to throw down pretty much whenever; Kenny shows up to... do stuff? Cody defended the TNT title weekly; Darby had a match with Cage and... did stuff with STING! FTR were giving teams A Brush With Greatness, and the Bucks... have matches once in a while?

I'm not saying any of this is a problem. (The TNT title stuff kind of is, to me, at least.) Mox/Kenny just furthers how Kenny stole the belt (despite being the best in the world anyway) and Kenny doesn't actually want any part of defending it. The Bucks are already over, so they don't need a weekly TV slot to have short matches with other teams (and FTR giving "title matches" where you have like a third of the normal time to win built their personas as a team).

I guess Shida's about as prominent as anyone else in the women's roster (for good and bad) and there's a lot of jockeying for position to get the next title shot, so the title and champion are relevant even if the champion isn't omnipresent.

Anyway, AEW's titles are being booked just fine, but if you just started tuning in before, I can see people going "where'd all da belts go?" I'm all for champs having programs that aren't just taking on a line of challengers, though. (Except for the TNT title; if it's supposed to be a "TV Title" then it should be defended a lot.)

The Brush With Greatness was a barely defined thing and everyone was complaining about the feud with the Bucks. They never even paid off the Brush With Greatness. It was one of the weirder AEW booking things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

mooseinfants posted:

Bucks have great matches and not great stories

I love them in the ring but give no shits about them outside of that. Nick Jackson (just offscreen) was p. funny I suppose