Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Shrapnig posted:

Can you guys give me a breakdown of what NASCAR actually is these days?

You forgot about stages, playoff points, and overtime. I would like to, though!!!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Tracks: NASCAR invested huge amounts of money in "cookie cutters" (think Charlotte, copied a bunch of times and modified slightly each time) which produce not-so-good racing. They've finally started to go away from this; the fans wanted more road courses and short tracks. We get 7 road course races this year, but NASCAR forgot the "more short tracks" bit, and you can argue we have one less this year because Bristol is on Dirt. (You're not hallucinating. Bristol. Dirt.) Speaking of Bristol, Bruton Smith also broke what wasn't broken and repaved it, thus ruining it and having to dance frantically when races there were mostly empty and he couldn't understand why. That drat rogue engineer who repaved the track while Bruton wasn't lookin.' :argh:

Yeah, tracks are on an upswing. Fontana is getting converted from "The Track that Roger Penske Built So He Could Win More Indycar Races" to a half-mile short track which is going to be high-banked like Bristol, paper-clippy like Martinsville, but keep the curved front straight like Richmond. They added the Charlotte ROVAL™ which has proved an immediate hit, especially when combined with the crazy stakes brought about by The Playoffs, and the Daytona Road Course is proving to be OK fun as well. The current Bristol is nothing like the one-line "Just Wanted to Rattle His Cage" Bristol, but since drivers can take any line through the corners now it's actually good for very competitive and fun racing in the modern sense, especially in the lower series. At least when they don't spin out and cause too many cautions (ugh).

So the racing in NASCAR is a shadow of its former self, but is slowly starting to carve out something new and modern and watchable. I will say that if you are hungering for the kind of racing you loved in the 80s and 90s, you really, really need to check out ARCA*. In case you weren't aware, NASCAR bought up ARCA a few years ago and switched the K&N regional series over to ARCA East/ARCA West branding. The regional racing series, and Whelen Modifieds, still offer the consistently best stock car racing out there. Happily, you can watch all this stuff online, plus more short track racing, for the low low price of $20 a year. See this post for more info on what's up with ARCA and what Track Pass is (hint: get Track Pass).

*Regular ARCA is still ARCA though. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Peanut President posted:

lol at a street course in Chicago for a series that couldn't sell out loving Joliet

lol at a street course in Long Beach for a series that couldn't sell out loving Fontana

waitaminute

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

woah hey dirt stuff is starting

https://www.nascar.com/weekend-schedule/nascar-tv-times-bristol-dirt-weekend/

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Like A+ on nascar for branching out and trying new things, just didn't live up to the hype. That coupled with tires that were poo poo, dust issues, etc etc. I'd say it's one of the best things nascar has done recently but that's a really low bar.

The idea was fine, but the execution was poo poo.

If the dirt is going to be on Bristol for more than a month, why aren't they testing on it before the race weekend? Get one or two Cup cars out there doing laps and you'd know in advance that the tires weren't going to last. Teams can know that going in and adjust their setups accordingly, giving them more meaningful practice time. NASCAR can know ahead of time and adjust the race format ahead of time. The track can know that ahead of time to maybe adjust their prep to make the track better for them. Instead, they got two practice sessions and no meaningful race action before the track was washed out for two days.

Thankfully there were no huge issues during the race, but NASCAR is playing with fire by just throwing out these wacky ideas and hoping nothing bad will come from them. It's like they assume everything will work perfectly and go smoothly no matter what, but leave themselves open for major disaster and embarrassment if it doesn't because they don't care to plan ahead. And even if things work out great, the result might ultimately turn out to be a "meh" to okay race, not meeting the level of hype, which is what dirt Bristol pretty much was in the end.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Legit suggestion: Make the first year of the Chicago street circuit the all-star race. Would be undeniably spectacular, would be a low-pressure environment, NASCAR can learn a lot of poo poo because things will inevitably go wrong, then they come back in the future with regular points races. They can even add a joker lane for shits and giggles.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

GD_American posted:

At least with a street circuit you do a whole festival around it with the race as capper

Exactly. And it would feel truly unique and special and "All-Star"y

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

As a NASCAR fan who lives near LA I can 100% say I think this is loving stupid and I won't go

As a NASCAR fan who lives in LA I can 100% say that I think this loving rules and I would go

Last time they had a motor racing event in the Coliseum they were able to pave it no problem. NASCAR will be fine doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJz2iABjaqs

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

I didnt think they would want to do a 100% dead flat track vs a banked dirt track but i guess who knows with NASCAR anymore!

They had said they wanted a Bowman-Grey kind of deal, so that doesn't leave much in the way of types of track.

But I'll take some dirt and some jumps too while we're at it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

You know what, gently caress it. Do the All-Star race in the Coliseum too. I don't care anymore, just entertain my dumb racing fan brain

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1437785746669199379

Clash at the Coliseum, do it cowards

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

YouTube TV will likely be dropping NBCUniversal channels starting on October 1. Price will go down $10 a month though, while they work this out.

https://tv.youtube.com/learn/service-update/

This means no more live NASCAR for YTTVers races unless you have broadcast TV, since Cup and Xfinity aren't on Peacock.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

YouTube TV has two big advantages for me, easy and unlimited DVR and It Just Works™ because it's YouTube. Peacock is extremely anal about DRM to the point where I can't watch their stuff on an external TV from my PC over HDMI or pipe the audio through Android Auto in my car.

Losing the RSNs was a point of annoyance, but on the other hand I'm in Los Angeles where I had to deal with TWC/Spectrum buying out the TV rights to the Dodgers and Lakers just so they could launch two new sports networks and keep them behind a cable TV paywall, so I wasn't missing much there.

That being said, I have noticed that the majority of my watch time on YTTV lately has been through NBC for Indycar, IMSA, NASCAR, Supercross, and most of the other things they have. I can live without it at the lower price, but if it comes back more expensive I could probably do without it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

There's more to this story.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/09/nbc-demanded-that-youtube-tv-bundle-peacock-or-lose-access-to-nbc-channels/

Apparently NBCU was trying to force YouTube to bundle in Peacock in order to renew carriage rights. NBC turned tail in a hurry once this came out. The experts in the article expect NBCU to cave and re-up and get everything will go back to normal. Hopefully that's the case.

Things must be pretty bad for Peacock if NBCU is trying to pull this horseshit.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNASCAR/status/1458096730084454409

They threw out the idea of making the Clash an exhibition for pole winners and are just turning into a Saturday night short track feature. And what's that... a provisional slot for the highest points finisher? What year is this?!?

I was probably going to go to it already, but now I'm definitely going. (Proof of vax or a negative covid test will be required because we live in a civilized area.) I might try to rope my family into this and we could wax nostalgic about going to Saugus Speedway growing up.

ed- have a video of Saugus Speedway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hidiu981EOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Also this coliseum race is gunna be a poo poo show right? Like a colossal poo poo show?

Probably? But it's also an exhibition where teams will be on the most equal footing possible with the new car? But it's also the first race with a new car and teams may not want to tear them up too bad?

NO BODY KNOWS