Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Pinecone Sample posted:

McDowell definitely caused that lmao

I wonder if he will be literally Derrike Cope in thirty years

The real fun is going to be 25 races from now when McDowell is 24th in points but going to the playoffs and either Brad or Joey didn't get a win and had a marginal season and will miss the playoffs by like 3 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

if someone on brad or joey or whoever's level can't make it past 15th in points they probably don't deserve to be contending for a championship anyway

hell i'd say if you can't make it up to 1st in points you probably don't deserve a championship but what do i know

Yeah for sure, if you're fighting for the last spot there is a very good chance even if you get it you're probably going out really quickly but I can just imagine the anger when you see McDowell pass you by on the leaderboard because he was in the right place at the right time at Daytona and you've been struggling all year but still miles better than that team. Plus I'd bet at this point there have to be contract bonus for making the chase and/or each round of the chase that are lucrative enough even if you aren't going to sniff a championship.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Reynold posted:

Pretty cool for Ty Gibbs, I saw him win at Gateway in the ARCA series. Too bad for Dinger though, I feel like maybe both he and Cindric weren't giving any ground to each other and he just happened to come out worse.

Yeah Almendinger was driving pretty aggressively but I thought Cindric could have given him the spot there. Why take the chance of taking both cars out 15 laps into the race? He got pretty lucky that the damage he got didn't really affect his car, or that he didn't tear that wheel off while he was body slamming his way through the field on the last couple restarts. He was definitely using the 8 tires turn better than 4 at the end there. Good for Gibbs being able to keep cool enough to get the win especially the way he roasted the tires on one of those restarts his inexperience was showing a lot right there but he was able to recompose and get it done. I guess it also helps he had the only car in the field that driving through the grass didn't rip the front end off the car.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

It was a pretty good race I think. It still surprises me that forever now we all know the day to night races are all about keeping up with the adjustments and teams like the #2 and #22 just didn't do it. They, along with Buscher, dominated while the sun was out and then just faded into also rans. I think maybe the #5 and the #19 were the only guys who were consistently in the top 5 contending? The #24, #88 and #4 were all kinda hanging around the top 10 but not really contending at the front until the #24 got up there late.

I also like having Bowyer in the booth but could do without the, hayuck I dag gone tell you what boys, poo poo. It is always interesting having a current driver, or somebody only a few years removed in the booth because they can actually relate to what is going on, especially from last year to this year being able to talk about what it is like turning your first lap of the weekend while taking the green for lap 1 of the race. Oh and on that note, would it really be the end of the world to give these teams like a 1hr practice even at like 9am on raceday? If they aren't racing until 3pm why not give them a 1hr morning happy hour and then they would have at least some idea of what their car was going to do and still have like 5hrs to make adjustments, or change a transmission or something if they realize after 10 laps something is horribly wrong.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

daslog posted:

Who give a gently caress what Mike Joy thinks? Self important commentators blow.

I saw those tweets and I was more wondering, who knew Mike Joy thinks? He just seems like a straight commentator to me. Welcome to the broadcast, this is the race, this is how many laps, 1 dumb joke that wouldn't make anybody laugh in an effort to make it seem like he has a personality and throw it to Jeff and Clint for some color and wackiness. Like I'm sure the guy has opinions and poo poo privately but I was surprised to see a network TV guy publicly talk down to anybody in his respective sport when he's so replaceable.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

He's been interacting with fans since Usenet and speaks out from time to time. I remember somewhere last year where he either said or tweeted something which felt as though he was passive-aggressively saying he was ready to kill Kyle Larson for having his really bad opinions on iRacing.

Oh no kidding. I actually don't follow a lot of racing stuff on social media since I watch most races via DVR hours or days later to skip the commercials and don't want the outcome spoiled for me. Somebody else I follow liked the Mike Joy tweets so they popped up in my timeline.

GD_American posted:

I make decent middle class money and thought about running a kart for fun, then asked a few questions and noped the gently caress out. If it was the ONLY hobby or interest I ever had I could swing it. Barely.

It all depends on if you want to do it and have fun (still expensive but manageable) or do it to win. I've been racing at the local level with my buddy for a long time now, we've run late models weekly at a track and currently do a tour club series of 4cyl modifieds and we'll be adding a weekly series in an entry level 4cyl division this year. There is no chance we're going to win anything. When we ran latemodels there were teams that would seriously spend $5,000/week to win $1200 because they just wanted to be track champion. Guys that raced late models at that track, and only that track, had no big dreams of "making it" just dropping cash on top of cash for motors, setups and cars to win the loving local track championship. They bought tires every week had their cars at a chassis shop every week. We'd buy tires like every 2 or 3 weeks, sometimes a month depending on cash. Taped and ziptied anything that got broken or bent and were eventually a mid top 10 car there spending like as little as possible (out of like an 18 car field so like high end mid pack). You can definitely find a way to race for "cheap" but there will always be somebody willing to spend more for a win.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ungratek posted:

I think this underrates Edwards a lot. He started winning as soon as he was in a cup car. He was as good at the 1.5 milers as anyone in this generation of racers. I feel like he’d be a lock for a title if he stayed on at Gibbs. There’s not a lot (if anything) between him and someone like Denny.
Yeah that 99 car was blank white when Edwards stepped in and he really started doing well with it right away. He was fortunate that he got to step in with Roush as they were hitting their stride as the 1.5 mile track monster team but Jeff Burton wasn't really doing anything with it at the end of his tenure there so it's obvious that Edwards had talent to go along with the equipment.

mearn posted:

Yeah there's been like zero practice and this was about the first "normal" race (non-plate/road course) where they didn't have some sort of issue and they were having a top ten run until they made a bad pit call. It's week 5 of 36. They'll be fine.
I can't believe they made that call to stay out. He was up in like 7th or 8th place and running well too. That's the kinda poo poo you pull when you're in 17th and just want a shot at getting some track position, not 7th and fast enough to get more.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Elitist Bitch posted:

*Brand new team doesn't win in first five races*

SASCAR: "DRIVER IS poo poo TIER"

I'm not really getting that vibe here. I think people were just pointing out how they probably would have finished anywhere from say 5th to 10th and doing that 5 races into a brand new team is like a win but made a pit call strategy that literally nobody else would have made watching that race. If anything it shows promise that they might have good mechanical grip in their chassis for shorter, flatter tracks and maybe that translates well to a place like Martinsville where Bubba knows for sure he can win. I think people are just kinda thinking of the blown opportunity to put the team out there in a good light this early into the season while also referencing the unknown that Bubba is as a driver. Leaving a mediocre team where he had mediocre results to a satellite team of one of the top 2 teams in the sport, what will he be able to do? It's going to be interesting to watch. On the flip side I don't think anybody is expecting Eric Jones to drive the #43 to any wins, he'll probably have very similar results to what Bubba did with it and I don't think that really takes away from any of the wins he was able to get in the #20 car.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Nice little move from Hemric there. Step back from the Gragson's first swing then right back at him with a counter.

I don't like that, just as Cygni said, loving around with guys over the wall like that is just plain stupid and dangerous. If you're mad a guy on the track get him on the track or after the race, don't put the crew guys in danger. No penalty there basically green lights minor, purposeful, contact on an active pit road.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

chamois posted:

timmy hill raced kiddie karts at the go kart track i raced at and it's hosed up to treat him this way

Virtual or not people watch the iRacing stuff and he's pretty good at it so it is a good way to give a leg up to an underfunded team to get their sponsors on tv for positive reasons like beating the best in the sport in equal equipment. Pretty lovely they'd leave him out for whatever reason. I guess it's time to expand my backmarker team merch closet and support him in some way. I already have a Corey Lajoie hat and sweatshirt.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Pretty sure I’ve heard that story too and Senior was very much not impressed.

The function was a Christmas Day family reunion and Sr. actually didn't care, according to how Jr. tells the story. I think I've seen a video interview of him telling that story too but for some reason I can't find it.

quote:

The conversation with his father didn’t go as Earnhardt expected, though.

“Dad laughed because he actually flipped his car when he was 18,” Earnhardt said. “So, instead of getting mad and having my butt chewed, we laughed about it and boy did I learn my lesson.”

Full story.
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nascar/dale-jr-recalls-wild-pickup-truck-wreck-from-his-younger-days

Ah I found the vid it was during his Rogan interview. The whole thing is pretty interesting but the truck flip story starts about 10min in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQrzrTM3IQ4

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I'm kinda surprised at the positivity about this race from this thread, which usually hates everything. I didn't like it. I didn't think the racing was particularly good, in either race. The viewing experience was pretty bad during the dust bowl and even during the truck race all I could think as I fast forwarded through the bullshit was who would have stuck with this watching live? Same with the Cup race. I think I watched the trucks in about 90min and the Cup race in like 2hrs fast forwarding through most of the stage breaks, commercials and cautions. If the teams actually had some rules to build better dirt cars then fine give it another shot but in my opinion this really didn't work. Like Mike Joy combating the anti-windshielders by saying they've run windshields in Cup since the 1950's was dumb as hell. Oh should they also run Studebakers with 103hp also? Give me a loving break.

Good for Suarez and Stenhouse those guys were fun to watch at the end but honestly I think I would have rather watched a regular Bristol race than this. I'm not even giving them minus points for the weather related issues, like it is what it is on that. It sucks we didn't get all the heat races and stuff but that was out of their control for this year and I think if they let the teams build more purpose built dirt cars that mud stuff wouldn't be an issue so call it a learning experience for next year if they are going crowbar this poo poo into the schedule again.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

From that viewpoint then I guess we can call it a win with room for improvement. It definitely beats the old way they did poo poo like the fan base begging for schedule changes and NASCAR coming back with Good news, we're gonna run Chicagoland twice!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey, speaking of Eldora:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/1382332870988066816

Booth: Allen Bestwick, Dan Ica/Dario Franchitti/James Hinchcliffe (two races each)
Pits: Matt Yocum
Host: Lindsay Czarniak
Roaming Reporter: Brad Daugherty

I wish they'd have involved Schrader somehow or reunited AB and Wally, but this is a good crew, right here. :golfclap:

E- the three drivers are analysts only. I thought they were in-race reporters at first.

That would have been good, to have Schrader be a part of it. I'm pretty sure I saw a tweet at some point that he was testing these cars on dirt somewhere so it would have been pretty good insight from somebody that actually drove one of the cars. Oh and also because he's awesome.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

Didnt they basically deny her because she seem to have a temper problem?

I'm guessing it is partially related to being called to the hauler after Richmond for getting into it with Norm Benning. Maybe that particular meeting didn't go well and NASCAR just said, you know what, if you can't run around the back of the pack without causing problems and then you're gonna argue with us about it then forget it we aren't letting you out there on a Sunday. Especially on a track where a minor mistake or a small payback may result in a huge crash.

That's just speculation. I think at somepoint NASCAR even addressed the Richmond incident and said the decision had nothing to do with it but that could have been bullshit too. She could have been completely apologetic for the backmarker scuffle at Richmond and NASCAR are being dicks for the sake of being dicks or that the powers that be in making the decision to let her race or not don't like her or something. She's at least been racing in the top 3 series this year. They let Derrick Cope start the 500 in his 60's after a few years away so they aren't exactly being consistent on why they are letting some people race and some people not. NASCAR inconsistent with rulings? Shocker there.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I just saw that today also. I actually got to meet him in Charlotte once. He was doing like an autograph/meet and greet type thing for Hefty and he seemed genuinely appreciative that somebody actually came over and wanted to meet him and get his autograph. I still have the signed hero card stashed away somewhere.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

From what I was reading it sounds like all 3 cars are going to have functional vents.

NASCAR.com posted:

Each of the three Next Gen models will have manufacturer-specific hood louvers, a release point for ducts that transfer air out of radiator.

What I found pretty interesting is the addition of the rear facing camera. Like is it going to be a "rear view mirror" that is just a screen or like a wide shot of what is going on back there? Also how long until there is a problem with somebody's rear view mirror not working and they are flying completely blind, except for a spotter, as far as what is behind them?

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2021/05/05/stock-reborn-nascar-manufacturers-unveil-next-gen-models-for-2022-cup-series/

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I watched the trucks and the Cup race and the Cup race was what it was I guess. The conditions pretty much ruined it. Cindric was impressive running on slicks for as long as he did but other than that it was a pretty big mess. The truck race at least had just enough wet to make the wet tires work and not so bad that they couldn't see what they were doing so that wasn't an issue. It's just that the trucks didn't seem like, dynamic I guess? It just seemed like they were all tip toeing around the track and the track is so technical they all had to be like right on with hitting their marks and to me it just seemed like they were all in slow motion. Compare it to Sonoma or Watkins Glenn when you see a lot more side by side throughout the entire track and guys flying through the grass and trying to cut corners and all that. To me they just look a lot faster and little more wild on those tracks which makes the road course watching a little more fun.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I actually thought the racing between the Hendrick cars and Kyle Busch was decent, but the 550hp model kills it when they have to let off a tiny, tiny bit and lose 100yds on track. Like at the end the 24 was probably better than the 18 and the 9 but had to let off here and there because of the lapped cars and could never fully recover. While I agree that this race (like most races) are too long I don't mind having 1 600 mile race on the schedule and I hope they keep this race the same. I just hope the new car makes it better.

Good runs for the 8, 17, 23 and 99 I thought. Though the 99 was 2 laps down but still managed a 15th that is pretty good I think. 23 had a lead lap finish which is pretty impressive for them.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Reynold posted:

I kinda liked Larson before the whole controversy, but yeah his fans coming out of the woodwork to cry "cancel culture," defend using racial slurs and also we sure hope he wrecks the black driver, heritage not hate etc. really put me off the dude. Hell, despite being a fan of Jeff Gordon when I was a kid, I kind of hate the whole Hendrick Motorsports organization right now. You got Larson with his toxic rear end fanbase, Chase Elliot being spoon fed road courses, and William Byron rolling around in a Liberty University car. About the only respectable driver of the bunch is Bowman, and that might just be because I don't know poo poo about the guy.

At a certain point you've kind of gotta let go of some things to enjoy motorsports. F1 and Indycar are just as good examples of this as NASCAR. There's plenty of organizations that are backed by old school right wing money, or countries that host races which are oppressive, fascist, and violate human rights. I guess not having people around to hoot and holler about it as loudly as NASCAR fans seem to makes it feel less problematic at times.

I liked him too. Underdoggish team with the 42, would wheel the hell out of the car sideways in the top groove, was a fun alternative to Harvick/Truex winning, what's not to like. He sure told us what wasn't to like. It was to the point that I actually bought some new hats because the one NASCAR hat I had in the rotation was #5 Kasey Kahne hat and I didn't want people to see the 5 and think I was supporting Larson. It makes me glad that I watch F1 with my head in the sand basically. I don't follow the news or anything, pretty much all the news I get comes from the race broadcast or after the fact on that Netflix show. Nobody I know pays any attention to F1 either so I can't get judged for liking the drivers I like I can just watch them drive and like them.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

lol the xfinity race sponsor this weekend is going to go over like a lead balloon

Ambetter Get Vaccinated 200
Yeah NH is probably not the best place for that one.

I live in MA and I seriously contemplated going up for the double header today, mods and xfinity, but I just drove back from Maine a few days ago and the traffic was so brutal I don't even want to think about driving anywhere for a while. Plus I basically only wanted to go for the mod race which I just looked up won't be on TV until Aug 11 which sucks. I'm not sure if it was where we got to watch or that the mods are the best racing there but the last time I was up there my buddy and I went with a crew that was running in an open mod show. We ended up watching most of the race from a little pic-nic table out in the turn 3 infield and it was pretty awesome.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ungratek posted:

NH has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country so not sure why everyone is acting like the event name is an affront

That's good to know. Most places I go in NH are local short tracks and last year when masks were required everywhere, including outdoors, there was a very live free or die attitude to doing that so I kinda got the feeling taking the vaccine would be taken on with a similar attitude.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

GD_American posted:

Great racing? Can't have that poo poo. Let's have a basic component of the track fail
That was super embarrassing for Indy and for race control. That was ridiculous. I don't know how they didn't throw the caution after that first bunch of wrecks after the restart, where Truex got taken out. You could see parts and debris flying around everywhere and it was crystal clear that it was the curbing that did it. It had been coming up all day, you see that happen after the restart and race control says, eh, gently caress it. I'm sure they'll make it. We gotta finish up cause NBC is trying to get to golf. Horrible job by the track crew, horrible job by race control. I'm really surprised the drivers that got taken out by that weren't more critical but maybe from in the car you don't realize all that is going on and later in the week when they know more we'll hear some comments or something.

GD_American posted:

lol the finish of the race we keep getting told is so prestigious, bumped to their cable channel for the beginning of amateur golf. Is there anything that could sum up how far NASCAR has fallen
Yeah I was watching a little behind on DVR and had to catchup on the last few laps and interviews on YouTube because of that horse poo poo. Who knew amateur golf was even televised, never mind so important it trumps the top level of another given sport finishing a first time event. That is a pretty crushing blow to NASCAR.

E: Negatives aside, good for AJ. Took wild rear end circumstances to get there but that is cool seeing a part time team go in there and steal one.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bagman is fantastic and the only good thing about the radio style broadcast, because neither Dale nor Jeff Burton know how to be anything but a color analyst.
I wasn't a fan of the "radio style" broadcast, during this race or the Glen. I feel like it was mostly during the restarts when there was a lot of action going on but it didn't work for me. It seemed like most of the time the guys were in a mindset like, ok I have 30 seconds to talk and then I'm not going to say anything for like 90 seconds. I guess I'll talk that whole 30 seconds except I have nothing to say so I'm going to tell you exactly what you are looking at on the tv screen. Telling me this car or that car wiggled a little getting in or made contact here or missed the corner a little and let somebody inside is important when you're actually listening to it on the radio so you can have some visuals going through your head but I feel like they were doing exactly that during restarts for TV as well. Funny I thought the radio guy was actually a bit better at letting it breath and than Dale or Jeff who seemed a little more deer in the headlights, I'm just going to talk and I don't know what about so I'm just gonna tell you what you're looking at. Don't tell me a car missed a braking point or locked a tire up, I can see that happen. Use your expert analysis and tell me why that happened.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Pinecone Sample posted:

I'm told that was Jeff Burton, and Jr. just said nothing about any of it lol

I think it was Jeff that actually said something like, the spot that Brad lost was lost before they were even close to the start finish. Austin had the momentum, he had the spot, no amount of side drafting was going to get it back so why was the 2 pinching him down like that? Which I agree with, kind of a dick move by the #2, but where was the #3 spotter? Still there, stay down, still on your quarter. Should have never happened.

chamois posted:

The battle for 16th in the points is like the roadrunner and wile e coyote if it was two wile e coyotes

I like Reddick but please god let somebody new win next week so we can stop paying attention to this cavalcade of fails
I'm kind of enjoying pulling for Reddick. If he gets in he'll immediately get vaulted up in front of Harvick in playoff points due to stage wins which is kind of funny. Got nothing against Harvick just enjoying the broken system that would allow a guy who just barely makes the playoffs start off with a better points position than a guy who locked in a race early.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Cygni posted:

I didnt think they would want to do a 100% dead flat track vs a banked dirt track but i guess who knows with NASCAR anymore!

I really dont like the gimmick races but I understand i'm the minority of people around here.

Yeah during the season I don't like the 1 off dirt race thing. It's interesting and fun to watch but I'd rather that kind of stuff stick to the non-points events, let the guys have fun with it. I'm kinda over the stage racing thing too. I know it has eliminated the "debris" cautions we all thought were annoying but I find the stage thing just as annoying, especially for road course racing. I wouldn't mind them dialing some of the gimmick stuff back. gently caress it, go back to straight points like they used to. Though I admit I enjoy the cut line drama as the season and playoffs roll on.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

mearn posted:

The Daytona short track was just some tire barriers they set up on the backstretch. It's still "there" I guess, but there's zero seating or any other facilities for it now.

Oh yeah that was that horrible dead flat, poo poo track. Awful racing on that thing but it did provide this great moment in racing:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ungratek posted:

LA -> Daytona -> LA is a pretty stupid way to open the season

Yeah that is why I thought it was just a rumor to kind of like gain insight on what kind of interest there would be. If I were a car owner I'd be loving pissed. I gotta get 2 cars and my whole crew out there for a week, then get them all back for Daytona and the load up and go out west again right after? So out west for Clash, back east for Daytona, then 3 races out west, then back for Atlanta, then back halfway across the country for COTA then back east for a stint. Oh and no off weeks. Actually I just looked over the schedule and the ONLY off week is June 19th. That is a loving grind man. 37 weeks, 36 races.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Rumors have NXS running Portland next year. :getin:

That was a fun series to watch. I really like the local driver aspect to it. I could do with a little bit less of the Paul Tracy professional wrestling aspect to it but it's not going to stop me from watching it. Like I get it, it's a show they're putting on so put on a show. Bang fenders, rub each other, wreck each other under yellow, whatever you want. But then don't get out of the car and do a wrestling promo. It just seemed like fake nonsense. Like are you really that mad dude? I guess PT maybe really was since he's kind of a nut but come on, just have fun with it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

that's SRX. we're talking xfinity

Ahhhhahah. I can't read. Anyway I liked the SRX series.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

WindyMan posted:

YouTube TV will likely be dropping NBCUniversal channels starting on October 1. Price will go down $10 a month though, while they work this out.

https://tv.youtube.com/learn/service-update/

This means no more live NASCAR for YTTVers races unless you have broadcast TV, since Cup and Xfinity aren't on Peacock.

I've been avoiding switching because it just seems like an annoyance to have to switch services, set up all my DVR stuff, get used to a new UI but YTTV finally has me to the point where I have to. Losing the regional sports networks sucked because I'm a big Bruins fan and without NESN I could only see them on national NHL broadcasts. Then they come out and say Roku will no longer support them, but if you already have the app on Roku you'll be able to use it just don't accidentally delete it or get a new Roku or you have to go through some convoluted process to get YTTV through the YouTube app and now this. I guess it's on to Fubo? Honestly I don't think I want to go back to straight cable, I actually like having the apps and stuff plus I can easily connect on my phone and my xbox and don't have to have a bunch of cable boxes and crap to set up and then return when the price gets too high and switch to the other cable guy for 2 years, repeat, repeat.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

WindyMan posted:

There's more to this story.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/09/nbc-demanded-that-youtube-tv-bundle-peacock-or-lose-access-to-nbc-channels/

Apparently NBCU was trying to force YouTube to bundle in Peacock in order to renew carriage rights. NBC turned tail in a hurry once this came out. The experts in the article expect NBCU to cave and re-up and get everything will go back to normal. Hopefully that's the case.

Things must be pretty bad for Peacock if NBCU is trying to pull this horseshit.

Hopefully that works out I guess. As a just in case I signed up for FuboTV free trial for the next week, since the NBC deal ends tomorrow and I have not seen any updates when searching. Talladega coming up plus Brady V Pats on Sunday night football. Bad weekend to lose NBC in your channel lineup if you're a NASCAR fan, New England sports fan, or in my case both. I might just stick with it since hockey season is coming up too and Fubo has NESN.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Rain wins are still wins. I know people will discount it, and honestly I kind of do too, but I'm so glad Bubba's first win was at the track that had fans hire a plane to fly the stars and bars over the track in protest against NASCAR banning it. loving suck on it. I hope he wins every Dega race for the rest of his career.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Douchebag posted:

When was the last time RPM was relevant and competitive? Was it pre-RPM when it was Evernham?

Edit: just did some reading and it looks like when Kahne was driving was their most successful time. A handful of wins with Mayfield and Almirola is about it though.

If by relevant and competitive you mean like making the chase and also potentially challenging for a title then probably yeah the Kasey Kahne era was it's most successful though nobody could beat the JimmieBot of that era so making the chase was basically a waste of time if you didn't have a #48 on your car. I would call Ambrose's time there successful as well considering what the team had become at that point.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

chamois posted:

i'm guessing nascar had 0 idea what it was and tacitly approved it and then changed their mind once the team made the announcement and people started reacting to it online. i seriously doubt the team made the announcement without some kind of indication from nascar that it would be approved

A friend of mine that looked into this told me that it was something like NASCAR told them the LGB or FJB stuff wasn't going to fly so don't try. So the team told NASCAR it was a crypto deal but conveniently left out what kind of crypto and NASCAR was like ok that's cool. Then it came it out it was LGB coin and NASCAR was like hey WTF we told you, you can't do that. But yeah now the guy is suing because he's saying NASCAR said they could run the sponsor and did a take backsies. Do I have that about right I don't care enough to actually read into it myself? Sucks for the guy to lose a sponsor, even if it was a lovely one. Money is money and when you're talking money and racecars you need a lot of it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

tater_salad posted:

So looks like there may not be a full field for the 500?

Also this coliseum race is gunna be a poo poo show right? Like a colossal poo poo show?

I can't imagine there is going to be great racing. There might be great spectacle in that it's a flat track (I'm presuming 1 groove) and the fact it's a non points race so guys are going to be more inclined to use the carbon fiber horn but I don't think it's going to be great racing. I think a lot of teams will be talking about having to use their wrecked clash chassis as their backup Daytona car because there aren't enough new chassis going around and that will be an overall garage annoyance and a real kick in the balls for anybody that totals a car in the Duels. I think the clash will ultimately be one of those things that in 5 or so years people will say remember that dumb poo poo they did at the Coliseum 5 year ago?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

New car looks and sounds good, hope it races good.

I watched a little bit of qualifying yesterday and it's the most I've watched of these cars so far and I was actually impressed at how good they looked. I still don't really love the number placement but I can deal with it I guess. Also for anybody that didn't watch qualifying the first like 5 cars out basically got screwed because the track was absolute garbage. No grip at all, Kurt Busch was sliding the nose, couldn't hook up the rears, nothing was working. I don't think he'll make the clash, I don't really see a lot of passing being able to happen on that track.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

Sorry for lack of Verstappen but this is actual racing

The heats were good, I was impressed with the ability to pass with minimal contact. That last LCQ was what I thought the racing was going to be. The 23 and 42 just went at it grand theft auto style, if they're in front of you, wreck 'em. There wasn't much racing there.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Douchebag posted:

They could have used a place like Bowman or some place similar but I don’t think it would have gotten the buzz of “built a nascar track over a football field”. Event was fun.

I really think they should use the heat/LCQ format once in a while, but it’s probably bad for sponsorships and stuff not having all the cars in the main.

Especially since NASCAR has been pushing the Go to Your Local Short Track narrative for the last decade or so and when they finally decide to go to a short track and invest millions they do it by making a 1 off short track instead of like saving Myrtle Beach or Beechridge, or North Wilkesboro or something similar (yes I realize they are all totally different tracks but you see my point). Luckily Tony Stewart actually knows the value of the local short track and brings his series to places like that. Overall the racing was better than I thought it would be and for the short track program at least those Kaulig cars were drat good. Pretty impressive both of them running top 5/10 for most of the main. The cars held up well too. None of that nonsense of seeing contact and then 5 laps of watching tire rubs to see if the tire was going to go down or hold up. A+ on the toughness of the new car. Can't wait to see it on an intermediate with 40 other cars out there to see how it goes in a race setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ken Schrader is the man. I just recently, like this week, heard the story of him blasting his in car fire extinguisher out his driver window to make it look like he was blowing an engine to make the second place car back off allowing him to hold off for a win. I can't really seem to find anything else out about this except I keep reading articles where people say it is true so I don't know if it is actually true but loving awesome if it is. He is just a great story teller and has a billion stories. That show on SPEED with him and Michael Waltrip and I think wasn't Dave DeSpain the like mediator of that show? Anyways that show was the poo poo.