Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I broke down and started a singleplayer world with the 42069lolxd seed. It's still a bit of a walk to get to the trader, but I made it to his camp and logged out, so I can switch back and forth from my main server whenever I want to buy poo poo.

I'm finally getting better at blocking incoming attacks; the main thing has been breaking myself of the instinct to spam the attack button as fast as I can, because it means I tend to get locked into an attack before I notice that the enemy is starting his own attack animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I ended up creating my base and building kiln/smelter/forge before realising it's not really in a great location. If I destroy those, will I get all the resources back? I don't fancy having to search for them all again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I ended up creating my base and building kiln/smelter/forge before realising it's not really in a great location. If I destroy those, will I get all the resources back? I don't fancy having to search for them all again.

Yes, just make sure they are at full health.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

How do enemy spawn work? I found a good spot next to the coast with dark woods and meadows on the sides, but got mauled by big mob of graydawrfs at night while I was half way through building my new base. Is it a fixed spawn that means my new spot is pretty bad?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There are fixed spawn locations (for greydwarfs it's the big purple clouds you'll see in the Black Forests), but also that's just the nature of the Black Forest at night.

Getting a bed up ASAP and sleeping through the night is a good idea. A ditch and palisade eventually made my Black Forest base 100% tranquil.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm convinced there is some interaction between comfort level and nearby spawns. My bases that are just walls and a workbench always get overrun by mobs but as soon as I hit about Comfort 4 I never see another mob outside of sieges.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

ughhhh posted:

How do enemy spawn work? I found a good spot next to the coast with dark woods and meadows on the sides, but got mauled by big mob of graydawrfs at night while I was half way through building my new base. Is it a fixed spawn that means my new spot is pretty bad?

In my experience there are fixed spawns like that on the edges of some biomes. Maybe it's related to runestones, there's one near the location where I encountered it. I had a forward outpost I used for some time with no problems, there was almost always a mob in the forest nearby but they mostly stayed there, maybe wandered out 1-2 at a time. Then I expanded it with metal working and suddenly I had a steady stream of dwarves every night. Not sure if I deforested too much so they started noticing me from farther away, or were attracted by the buildings/noise, but it sucked. As soon as I finished one mob I had time to repair and put away dwarf eyes before the next mob was wandering in every night.

Before moving it all, I tried out a land wall with the raise-ground tool and it's worked really well. I didn't surround my base entirely, just a line in the sand between me and the forest and the dwarves tend to mill around on the other side of it rather than wander in. When I tried a similar sort of incomplete wooden fence, the ai seemed to want to get around it but so far they don't treat the land wall the same way.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

the mobs definitely have some kind of pathfinding AI limitation on raids; I have an island base and even though I've gotten The Ground Shakes events and stuff, nothing is actually visibly spawning (I have no wards, just player-built structures and a comfort-8 rest area) aside from some greydwarves that used to spawn before I finished landscaping the whole island (it was black forest originally, now it's all swanky stone shack)

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
I don't know if its been mentioned but if you reach the end of the map you fall off. How ever its not something you will do with out trying.

mod edit: spoiler tagged this

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 25, 2021

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

wjs5 posted:

I don't know if its been mentioned but if you reach the end of the map you fall off. How ever its not something you will do with out trying.

I consider it a rite of passage to sail a longboat off the edge of the world

mod edit: spoiler tag

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 25, 2021

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

wjs5 posted:

Probably spoiler this.

I hadn't really considered making an island base. I havent made a boat yet, but now that I'm thinking of it, setting up a swank island with a portal system and a sweet harbor would rule, and then just building harbor outposts at the various places I visit...

Honestly one of the things that makes me hesitate on advancing bosses is raids I won't be prepared for and things wrecking stuff I worked hard to build.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah spoiler that poo poo jesus christ

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hey guys let me just barge in and tell everyone that thing they want to find out for themselves

for gently caress's sake

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh look a thread about a game that's all about adventure and exploration? let me just come in and tell everyone what happens at the end. you're welcome

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

PIZZA.BAT posted:

oh look a thread about a game that's all about adventure and exploration? let me just come in and tell everyone what happens at the end. you're welcome

Chill, lol. There's a lot more to the edges of the world that hasn't been spoiled. Trust me on this.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

mkvltra posted:

Chill, lol. There's a lot more to the edges of the world that hasn't been spoiled. Trust me on this.

Agreed, but could I politely ask that you spoiler it? I don't think you're a dick or anything, but it's a cool discovery to make if you didn't know.

Edit: I'm dumb it wasn't you.

Polite ask still stands though.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Let's keep surprise-y stuff in the game about exploration at least somewhat obscured. It's easy enough to just tag anything questionable. I don't think that's an unreasonable request. Thanks!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

vvv can you explain this, i havent deal with linux in decades and cant remember anything besides escape :wq in vim

Sure, just run the command "crontab -e" and paste that code into it. Just make sure to update the correct pathing if necessary. If you're interested in the frequency of the jobs, you can put those asterisk values into a crontab checker like this: https://crontab.guru/.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Last night I started working on my plains outpost and drat I really love this zone. First time since the starting few hours where I have felt like I'm in constant danger and need to stay rested and dry.

While I was working on the fort I needed to hop on my boat to grab some resources. Unfortunately I messed up the jump and fell in the water making me wet and unrested. Of course this was the time a group of Fumlings, lead by a 2 star shield + torch man, decided to swarm me. I would just like to say, don't bother trying to block a 2 star fumling when your stamina is low, it broke my block and did 75 dmg. :allears:

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

wjs5 posted:

This makes it sound super anti-climactic!

Mega-spoilers:

Did anyone else have a special respawn effect after sailing off the world? When my buddy and I respawned back at base, there were a LOT of sparkly glowy particles floating around us for more than a few seconds. These particle effects got more and more intense as we got closer to the edge of the map, and persisted through death- I thought this was a very, very cool detail. The far North and deep South each have their own unique biomes that appear in every seed. Sailing East or West to the edge of the map will be a markedly different journey than sailing North or South.

In response to a few comments about how this is a 'flavor of the week' survival game: yes, it totally is, but I think the popularity and praise is warranted. The game is less than 1GB, I don't know a lot about Computer Stuff but there's gotta be some sophisticated technical voodoo going on to cram a game like this into such a tight package. Very rarely does a game come out with a mood, atmosphere, and aesthetic quality this consistent: the visuals are detailed enough to provide a sense of dramatic realism, and the game's assets are stylized just enough to give the world a unique personality while balancing technical constraints. It's 'realistic', but not to the point where it would turn away a 'casual' gamer. This product balances mass-appeal without sacrificing artistic or technical integrity- and that's a rare accomplishment! With that being said, there's still room for criticism: it's utterly incomplete.

My buddy and I beat Yagluth the other night and we are very excited to see how this game evolves. Probably going to take a break from it until the next big content update. Based on the roadmap, I think we should be able to expect full-implementation of The Mistlands?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Re: Small game size. It's gotta be the low res textures. I like the look, though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Low res textures, few voice lines, procedurally generated world. There isn't a whole lot of assets that take up space in this game.
The weather and atmosphere effects they use are top notch, but stuff like that usually doesn't require that much space either.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Most survival games make getting wood an exercise in tedium. Not Valheim. Every time I chop down my tree farm, it finds a different way to create a chain reaction of falling and exploding wood. Tree physics are amazing.

Minecraft, this ain't.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

mkvltra posted:

This makes it sound super anti-climactic!

Mega-spoilers:

Did anyone else have a special respawn effect after sailing off the world? When my buddy and I respawned back at base, there were a LOT of sparkly glowy particles floating around us for more than a few seconds. These particle effects got more and more intense as we got closer to the edge of the map, and persisted through death- I thought this was a very, very cool detail. The far North and deep South each have their own unique biomes that appear in every seed. Sailing East or West to the edge of the map will be a markedly different journey than sailing North or South.

In response to a few comments about how this is a 'flavor of the week' survival game: yes, it totally is, but I think the popularity and praise is warranted. The game is less than 1GB, I don't know a lot about Computer Stuff but there's gotta be some sophisticated technical voodoo going on to cram a game like this into such a tight package. Very rarely does a game come out with a mood, atmosphere, and aesthetic quality this consistent: the visuals are detailed enough to provide a sense of dramatic realism, and the game's assets are stylized just enough to give the world a unique personality while balancing technical constraints. It's 'realistic', but not to the point where it would turn away a 'casual' gamer. This product balances mass-appeal without sacrificing artistic or technical integrity- and that's a rare accomplishment! With that being said, there's still room for criticism: it's utterly incomplete.

My buddy and I beat Yagluth the other night and we are very excited to see how this game evolves. Probably going to take a break from it until the next big content update. Based on the roadmap, I think we should be able to expect full-implementation of The Mistlands?

They have said the final incarnation of the game will have nine biomes, with nine bosses. Right now we have five and five, with three Mistlands, Ashlands, Deep North existing but without content, so there's plenty of room for expansion.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Most survival games make getting wood an exercise in tedium. Not Valheim. Every time I chop down my tree farm, it finds a different way to create a chain reaction of falling and exploding wood. Tree physics are amazing.

Minecraft, this ain't.

100%. I have just as many giggling and fleeing moments chopping trees as I do kiting trolls or running from things.

Edit: To glom onto posts above, there's a huge following and already a mod community, so this game might find a solid spot in the usual survival lineups and maintain lasting power through mods, even though they're not supported officially.

Hell, I'm wondering what it would take to crack the hood open and tinker with numeric values. I did it in 7DtD.

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 25, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Queen's Jam is a tempting early game craft, but I deeply regret making ~30 of it, as Tasty Mead uses the same materials and is really useful once 8+ stamina segments are reliably obtained. Especially during boss fights, or extended mining sessions. I used 2 of it during the Elder fight, and wished I'd brought more. Cold and wet and crossing the swamp? Just slam a tasty halfway across, wait a few seconds, and keep sprinting.

Also, here's a tip to plant stuff faster. Use the poles of an adjacent low fence as a spacing guide. Just plant one thing every vertical pole and it works out great.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What are you eating for food then? Sausages and...?

I did not realize stamina capped out like that

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For people using mods, does everyone have to have the same set of mods as the host? There's some real useful stuff already out.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch already, but I'm trying to go in as blindly as possible. Can anyone recommend a good server rental for my merry band of 3 - 5?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

PittTheElder posted:

What are you eating for food then? Sausages and...?

I did not realize stamina capped out like that

Most of the time, I just have meat active, with two foods ready to go if I'm not confident in my ability to handle a situation with only that much hp as a buffer.

Early game, it was: meat, berries, neck tail, supplemented with carrot soup for high stamina activities. Once I found the trader, meat, fish, neck tail. I ended up raiding the swamp and establishing a base before I fought Elder, so I quickly graduated to sausages and turnip soup.

These days, I'm eating a steady diet of sausages, turnip soup and grilled fish. Need to go back to starvation rations for a while until I farm a chest full of meat and a couple stacks of thistles, though; running out of both.

Not sure what you mean by 'capping out'; higher tier foods do give more stamina, and Tasty mead is highly effective regen in time critical situations.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Riatsala posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch already, but I'm trying to go in as blindly as possible. Can anyone recommend a good server rental for my merry band of 3 - 5?

I'm using a service called Survival Servers. First time doing anything like this, process was totally painless, server was up in less than 10 minutes and it was only ~$40.00 USD for 3 months IIRC. No complaints.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Not sure what you mean by 'capping out'; higher tier foods do give more stamina, and Tasty mead is highly effective regen in time critical situations.
Oh I was going purely off this statement:

Ambaire posted:

Queen's Jam is a tempting early game craft, but I deeply regret making ~30 of it, as Tasty Mead uses the same materials and is really useful once 8+ stamina segments are reliably obtained.

But maybe I interpreted it wrong and it doesn't actually cap.

We just found the trader (and thus reliable fish access), so I guess I'll aim for Sausage, Turnip Stew, Fish.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

mkvltra posted:

I'm using a service called Survival Servers. First time doing anything like this, process was totally painless, server was up in less than 10 minutes and it was only ~$40.00 USD for 3 months IIRC. No complaints.

same, $14/month, up to 10 people, web interface is simple enough. I had trouble using a NY based server so we had to go with Dallas, but after switching locations it worked easily enough. Updating was just a matter of enabling auto-update, but I'm not sure how it handles it exactly

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

PittTheElder posted:

Oh I was going purely off this statement:

But maybe I interpreted it wrong and it doesn't actually cap.

We just found the trader (and thus reliable fish access), so I guess I'll aim for Sausage, Turnip Stew, Fish.

Queen's Jam and Tasty Mead both use raspberries and blueberries. What I was trying to say is that either you can use 8+8 of each for 4 of a food that is surpassed by many later foods, or you can make Tasty mead with it (10 honey, 10 raspberries, 5 blueberries for 6 mead) and it will full regen your stamina regardless of its current amount.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

mkvltra posted:

man in the eyeball hat posted:

same, $14/month, up to 10 people, web interface is simple enough. I had trouble using a NY based server so we had to go with Dallas, but after switching locations it worked easily enough. Updating was just a matter of enabling auto-update, but I'm not sure how it handles it exactly

That's not a bad price at all for a server rental, awesome. Thanks very much

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh also, do servers automatically update themselves? I would guess the answer is actually It Depends, but I was playing on a friend's server, but as of the update this morning I can't connect anymore.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
My brother gifted me this game this morning. Any before I play type tips?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Oh also, do servers automatically update themselves? I would guess the answer is actually It Depends, but I was playing on a friend's server, but as of the update this morning I can't connect anymore.

Paid servers probably have a mechanism to self-update, or at least a simple admin button to do it, but anyone running a private server on their own hardware will need something scripted (a cron job or something) to do the update.

But otherwise, no, it does not update itself.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Can you keep fulings from respawning? I cleared a village and popped down a couple of workbenches, planted some flax. Came back a day later and they were attacking my crops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Lucas Archer posted:

My brother gifted me this game this morning. Any before I play type tips?

Don't be afraid to build more houses, use the map to mark poo poo (click icon on right, double click on map).