Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Pretty accurate not gonna lie.
https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lwdrly/first_time_in_the_mountains_like/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how is getting a boat unstuck miserable? you just get out and push

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

thanks to the goons suggesting to terraform the swamp. Took me a while, but it makes raiding 6+ tombs so much easier

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
what, no paved road?

And as for your favorite plains menace, they will wander into your base from wherever they spawn, they roam alot, so workshops etc only help somewhat. But they rapidly go from a re-enactment of "Them!" to a minor irritation then swing back around to handy to have around for arrows and other things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do paved roads do anything or are they just texture?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're marginally better for cart pulling, crippled by the fact you have to build workshops and stone benches every 10 goddamn feet to make them

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah some things really ought to be buildable without a workbench.

Hell, lemme upgrade the hammer to enable precisely that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also be able to disassemble poo poo without a workbench. Oh you broke the forge down before picking up your cauldron? Well that cauldron is now a permanent landmark, rear end in a top hat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be neat, I think, if the game let you set up little dudes with bows to defend your poo poo. Like the game can simulate combat over quite a wide range and already does infighting so it'd be neat to let you watch that more often.

Or perhaps even just little QOL stuff like a placeable barrel of wood arrows that gives you infinite wood arrows when you're near it. It's nice to take potshots at things.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 3, 2021

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I have packs of 2 star wolves spread around my base to greet all of the little greydwarfs that visit me at night. The only downside is my constantly draining sanity because of all of the howling.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

OwlFancier posted:

It would be neat, I think, if the game let you set up little dudes with bows to defend your poo poo. Like the game can simulate combat over quite a wide range and already does infighting so it'd be neat to let you watch that more often.

Or perhaps even just little QOL stuff like a placeable barrel of wood arrows that gives you infinite wood arrows when you're near it. It's nice to take potshots at things.

Conan Exiles does this thing. It's one of the primary things that it does. I agree that thralls would be neat in Valheim. Maybe if they do a taming system pass we'll get skeleton archers or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't played conan but I had heard about that, dunno how actually developed it is.

If they did add in some way to populate bases (or even if they didn't) then a way to automate basic resource gathering would be nice too, like a magic quarry or something that fills up a small stone reserve over time while you are away. I like coming back after a trip and there's honey to collect so I would enjoy that mechanic with other resources too that aren't really scarce as much as just time consuming to collect. Plus it would encourage you to build a bit more each time you get back to use up the supply.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Conan is a really well developed game at this point. Fun with a small group of friends too. There are dungeons and bosses and the building system is also really good. Being able to populate your bases with thralls makes them feel more alive than most survival games.

Good news is that you can also use server settings to keep your stuff on death. The same company supposedly has a Dune survival game in the works and I really hope they have an eye on Valheim with regard to innovations in the space.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Well me and the boys finished the fifth boss last night. My only gripe is that there isn't really anything left for us to do until the full game comes out.

Last night started with just some general chores around the base and a friend and I decided to go on some goblin search & destroy missions on the off chance we finally found the final rune. On an off chance my friend decided to check behind a hill after finishing a village and started losing his poo poo. After several days of hunting we'd finally found it. I posted the update in our discord's valheim channel:

and the rest of the players immediately started pouring in. Normally we'd coordinate a time for everyone to be ready for the boss fight a few days away after finding their spawn point but everyone was so pumped for it that we just decided we were doing it right then and there. I haven't seen a game generate this much excitement in a long time.

Not gonna jump the gun and call this game of the year just yet but man it's definitely something special.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm going to be throwing down on a dedicated server to try and get a bunch of different friends together to play. I know the tool for previewing a seed exists, but is there any site / forum / etc where people discuss their world seeds without spoiling the whole map? I would love to start something that would be convenient for my friends who are new or have limited playing time, since I end up spending more than half my time just slowly exploring and building rather than tackling bosses.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Azhais posted:

what, no paved road?

And as for your favorite plains menace, they will wander into your base from wherever they spawn, they roam alot, so workshops etc only help somewhat. But they rapidly go from a re-enactment of "Them!" to a minor irritation then swing back around to handy to have around for arrows and other things.

The physics engine that killed my character with a falling log in my first half hour of play came around full circle when I got divebombed by a couple deathsquitos immediately exiting my plains base portal, but who then flew off directly into the spinning blades of my windmill which have physics and do enough damage to kill deathsquitos.

I ended up not doing the next idea I had, but at that moment I had an image of clearing a swamp of like 600 iron just to make an entire wall of windmills surrounding my base and occasionally run the exterior to collect needles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

I think I'm going to be throwing down on a dedicated server to try and get a bunch of different friends together to play. I know the tool for previewing a seed exists, but is there any site / forum / etc where people discuss their world seeds without spoiling the whole map? I would love to start something that would be convenient for my friends who are new or have limited playing time, since I end up spending more than half my time just slowly exploring and building rather than tackling bosses.

Try "mrxzzy". :v:

You start on a huge island with plenty of meadows and black forest to explore and it even has a proper mountain biome. The second boss is next to a large swamp with effectively unlimited crypts on the other side of a short boat trip. The merchant is kind of a long trip to get to but you'll see it on the way to the third boss (which is a pretty long journey but we had fun making it).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Well me and the boys finished the fifth boss last night. My only gripe is that there isn't really anything left for us to do until the full game comes out.

Last night started with just some general chores around the base and a friend and I decided to go on some goblin search & destroy missions on the off chance we finally found the final rune. On an off chance my friend decided to check behind a hill after finishing a village and started losing his poo poo. After several days of hunting we'd finally found it. I posted the update in our discord's valheim channel:

and the rest of the players immediately started pouring in. Normally we'd coordinate a time for everyone to be ready for the boss fight a few days away after finding their spawn point but everyone was so pumped for it that we just decided we were doing it right then and there. I haven't seen a game generate this much excitement in a long time.

Not gonna jump the gun and call this game of the year just yet but man it's definitely something special.

Is it true that killing the 5th boss makes goblins start to spawn in all biomes at night?

My server has people who are far more progressed than others, and were holding off on fifth boss because we dont want to screw over the friends just starting with having to deal with goblins in meadows right at the start.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

post boss five spoilers:

joepinetree posted:

Is it true that killing the 5th boss makes goblins start to spawn in all biomes at night?

My server has people who are far more progressed than others, and were holding off on fifth boss because we dont want to screw over the friends just starting with having to deal with goblins in meadows right at the start.

Yes it's true. After the boss fight we were all going back to base and I decided to return to our original meadows outpost. As soon as I came out of the teleporter there were four goblins inside our base standing right there ready to swing on me. If you have people who are trying to move at their own pace then definitely hold off on the fifth boss or at least give them a heads up that they might want to move to their own server

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The ‘Dedicated’ seed is about the same. I haven’t been able to muck about with the mountain that’s near spawn but I think it’s just a single peak with nothing on it. Swamps are a boat trip away, but not crazy far.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I finally found a boss rune for the fourth boss, but it looks like it's gonna require a bit of work to get going.

I really don't get why >!dragon eggs!< can't be teleported.

The fourth boss is on a mountain entirely surrounded by enough non-meadows land that boating and carting them there would be a massive pain in the rear end. Maybe I'll just try to find them in that specific mountain.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Should we set a blanket policy to spoiler contents of the game past a given boss/environment? If we do end up doing that I’d motion we set Bonemass as the cutoff as the Swamps are the first real ramp up in difficulty that would have the highest amount of discussion day to day. Honor system works fine too, just floating the notion.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deki posted:

Maybe I'll just try to find them in that specific mountain.

I found 3 almost in visual range of the summoning platform, they're pretty common

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Warbird posted:

Should we set a blanket policy to spoiler contents of the game past a given boss/environment? If we do end up doing that I’d motion we set Bonemass as the cutoff as the Swamps are the first real ramp up in difficulty that would have the highest amount of discussion day to day. Honor system works fine too, just floating the notion.

I say spoiler bosses and unique stuff beyond the swamp.

I've seen and died in every biome since making those huge treks to the poles but there is still stuff I don't know about.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make it so each month the game is out, you can talk about a new tier without spoilers. :v:

So I think we can talk about the elder now!

(also they announced 5 million sales today, goddamn)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hopefully the success of this game dispels the notion that survival game needs to have PvP to be successful. It seems a lot of people were waiting for one that didn't have that as a focus.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Broken Cog posted:

Hopefully the success of this game dispels the notion that survival game needs to have PvP to be successful. It seems a lot of people were waiting for one that didn't have that as a focus.

I know I was.
There most PvP I'm ever interested in is Rocket League. It's generally not appealing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The next few years are going to be good times when people start cloning and improving on this formula.

Well, except for the part where you have to sift through the low effort crap. But something great will come out of it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone have QoL mod recommendations that aren't likely to cause a lot of hassle? I was looking at that armor/quick mead one, seemed solid, but the comments of complaints are hoo boy. I mean, I can just cheat armor back in, whatever, but still.

Are there any other good ones that won't tank performance too much or require too much fuckery? I don't do a server or anything, just friends joining on me through Steam.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Deki posted:

I finally found a boss rune for the fourth boss, but it looks like it's gonna require a bit of work to get going.

I really don't get why >!dragon eggs!< can't be teleported.

The fourth boss is on a mountain entirely surrounded by enough non-meadows land that boating and carting them there would be a massive pain in the rear end. Maybe I'll just try to find them in that specific mountain.

How big's the mountain?

We stumbled into a boss altar in the mountains and a little bit of exploring found 4+ eggs on that same mountain. If the mountain's really small and there aren't eggs on site then you may need to exercise a little logistical wrangling but it's worth mentioning that there's more then one boss spawn; hiking some other mountains looking for an unmarked altar is also an option.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Broken Cog posted:

Valheim is a good example of what happens when devs don't cater to the screaming 1%.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

For me, it's the lack of PvP focus and the focus on making it enjoyable for people who don't have unlimited time to devote to resource collection and base management. Like, I feel A LOT more comfortable putting 10 hours into Valheim than I do with ARK or Rust, mostly because I know that whatever I did in those 10 hours in Valheim will be there tomorrow. And the day after. And the day after that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ambaire posted:

Valheim is a good example of what happens when devs don't cater to the screaming 1%.

Yeah, this game threw a ton of red flags that normally stop me from buying games, but it hits so hard on the stuff that works that I have very few complaints that aren't just UX stuff like building snapping and the uneven difficulty. But it seems like UX is a priority for the devs, so I'm not too worried about it.

Like, who knew that an low-res early access survival game with a Norse aesthetic would grab everyone by the face? Like, seriously, that's an eyeroll and 'next' sort of description.

bagmonkey posted:

For me, it's the lack of PvP focus and the focus on making it enjoyable for people who don't have unlimited time to devote to resource collection and base management. Like, I feel A LOT more comfortable putting 10 hours into Valheim than I do with ARK or Rust, mostly because I know that whatever I did in those 10 hours in Valheim will be there tomorrow. And the day after. And the day after that.

Yeah, and if it's not, it's because something insane probably happened that at least makes a good story about how a troll demolished your house.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can someone confirm that saplings in the wild will grow in to trees?

I haven't planted any trees myself and I don't want my surrounding area to be barren, so I've avoided cutting the little guys down.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Found two Plains pillars right on the coast and went "Hmmm". 3 longboat loads of wood and stone later:

I haven't killed the third boss yet but I could snipe the few roaming deathsquitos easily enough :v:

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

bagmonkey posted:

Also the entirely boss-based risk progression helps. You're not on a clock at all, which it took me a while to drill into my head as a fan of the genre. Raids wont be more frequent or worse, food wont become more scarce, winter isn't coming. When you want to progress the game, you probably want a 2-3hr block of time to beat a boss, get established on a new continent, or figure out a new biome. But logging in to dick around for 30-60 minutes doesn't waste or risk anything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ChristsDickWorship posted:

But logging in to dick around for 30-60 minutes doesn't waste or risk anything.

Just don't forget to do a wander around the island every so often to stock up on meat.

I guess I should get a pig farm going but that sounds like the least enjoyable thing imaginable. Stalking deer for 20 minutes and coming back with a mountain of meat at least raises my bow and sneak skills.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Boar farming is such a pain in the rear end.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Echophonic posted:

Anyone have QoL mod recommendations that aren't likely to cause a lot of hassle? I was looking at that armor/quick mead one, seemed solid, but the comments of complaints are hoo boy. I mean, I can just cheat armor back in, whatever, but still.

Are there any other good ones that won't tank performance too much or require too much fuckery? I don't do a server or anything, just friends joining on me through Steam.

I just put this one in last night since it doesn't mess with anything else and it is incredible: https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/LVH-IT/FasterTeleportation/

Portals finish working in about 3 seconds, and loading into a troll cave / burial mound / sunken crypt / whatever is essentially instant. Enough so that it was disorienting at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Just don't forget to do a wander around the island every so often to stock up on meat.

I guess I should get a pig farm going but that sounds like the least enjoyable thing imaginable. Stalking deer for 20 minutes and coming back with a mountain of meat at least raises my bow and sneak skills.

Honestly I've found bow hunting boars/deer to be intensely satisfying, especially when you snipe a deer from across a creek and get the trajectory of the arrow just right. I know someone said that weapons don't have that 'oompf' but I haven't used a bow in combat that I enjoyed like this since Chivalry.