Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, deer hunting is pretty fun. I don't know if raising the bow skill gives more aim assist or I just got better at predicting the arc but I am a deer sniping rear end in a top hat.

Now if only the dwarves and necks would leave me the gently caress alone while I'm creeping around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I like that deer and boar pop like water balloons even with wooden arrows instead of making us chase them for 20 minutes to get a scrap of leather.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Hopefully the success of this game dispels the notion that survival game needs to have PvP to be successful. It seems a lot of people were waiting for one that didn't have that as a focus.

That is why I haven't bothered with rust or conan or ark or any of that stuff, I don't play multiplayer games and I doubly don't play PVP grindy survival games multiplayer.

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, this game threw a ton of red flags that normally stop me from buying games, but it hits so hard on the stuff that works that I have very few complaints that aren't just UX stuff like building snapping and the uneven difficulty. But it seems like UX is a priority for the devs, so I'm not too worried about it.

Like, who knew that an low-res early access survival game with a Norse aesthetic would grab everyone by the face? Like, seriously, that's an eyeroll and 'next' sort of description.

I really like the combination of low res textures but high quality lighting and animations/particles. Stuff like raytraced minecraft shows it off too but there is so much you can do with modern lighting tech that the lo-fi model and texture work just makes things blend together and fit well with the lighting painting the majority of the scene.

I hope that the low res textures might make modding in more building parts and monsters/terrain more viable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 3, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inzombiac posted:

Can someone confirm that saplings in the wild will grow in to trees?

I haven't planted any trees myself and I don't want my surrounding area to be barren, so I've avoided cutting the little guys down.

I'm not sure I've seen any trees grow that I didn't plant myself

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think forest terrain will grow bushes back in over time, but I haven't seen any full size trees grow.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Unless I am mistaken the saplings you plant look exactly like the saplings that are all over the forest. Would be pretty weird if only the ones you planted grew.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If they grow they grow so slowly as to be useless. The saplings I plant become full trees in like two days

I've de-forested half the drat map to make coal for smelting for the 8 of us

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
meat isnt bad to get, but i'm going to have to spend a while just hunting raspberries, blueberries, and thistle. thistle is absolutely the biggest chokepoint on what i'm getting right now , i'm drowning in entrails and finally got to make some sausage

i tried some mountain biome - didn't think to pop a health potion and got brutally owned by wolves. what shoudl i be looking for in mountains if i haven't beaten the third boss? there's just a ltitle section of one on my starting island and i have yet to find anything of note in it

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

mastershakeman posted:

meat isnt bad to get, but i'm going to have to spend a while just hunting raspberries, blueberries, and thistle. thistle is absolutely the biggest chokepoint on what i'm getting right now , i'm drowning in entrails and finally got to make some sausage

i tried some mountain biome - didn't think to pop a health potion and got brutally owned by wolves. what shoudl i be looking for in mountains if i haven't beaten the third boss? there's just a ltitle section of one on my starting island and i have yet to find anything of note in it

There's some new materials, but you need an iron pick to get most of it. It's also intensely helpful to beat the third boss before you can reliably find one of the new ones. I'd say you're better off focusing on beating Bonemass first. It'll make your early forays into the mountains easier, too, if you have better gear.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there something obvious I'm missing with the fermentor? I suppose I need to get into farming before it becomes useful?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

genericnick posted:

Is there something obvious I'm missing with the fermentor? I suppose I need to get into farming before it becomes useful?

Make the cauldron, it lets you make mead bases that you put in the fermenter.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

genericnick posted:

I don't think you need farmed stuff for mead. My guess is you haven't reenacted Nic Cages role in the Wicker Man yet

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

CRAYON posted:

Make the cauldron, it lets you make mead bases that you put in the fermenter.

Ah, somehow I completely missed when that one popped up. Makes sense.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man just sneaking into the margins of the plains to poach Lox is so so worth it. Even the meat by itself rules.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

My guess is you haven't reenacted Nic Cages role in the Wicker Man yet

Alright, I got the first goal for my new server

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

My buddy and I have been enjoying the hell out of this. But I had a sad moment when I realized we were the bad guys in the story, strip mining and smelting our way across the forest to build a Walmart super center while a grey dwarf looks on with a single tear rolling down its face.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I mean, according to the backstory we are basically pest control.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I can't find bees anywhere. I've checked 5-10 abandoned villages, I've run all over multiple black forests and meadows. Are they just not on this seed?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Azhais posted:

I don't think you need farmed stuff for mead. My guess is you haven't reenacted Nic Cages role in the Wicker Man yet

You mean when you leave your meat on the cooking station too long you just scream "Why is it burned!?" Over and over at the fire?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

PittTheElder posted:

Man just sneaking into the margins of the plains to poach Lox is so so worth it. Even the meat by itself rules.

What biome can I find bagels to put it on though?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Untrustable posted:

I can't find bees anywhere. I've checked 5-10 abandoned villages, I've run all over multiple black forests and meadows. Are they just not on this seed?

Any abandoned building will do, doesn't need to be village. In fact I've only ever seen behives in buildings that are not part of villages. For me they've always been in meadows, always been isolated buildings, and the beehive is always inside.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vikings were active in Poland so there's very good justification for having access to bagels. Who cares if the timelines don't match up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Once again went way overprepared to a boss. I think after we beat this I might try and solo rush and just try to get as far as I can as fast as I can without as many countless hours base-building and preparing while waiting for my buddy's hour of gameplay a night lol.

I spent some time flattening the ground around the oogie boogie man. Also cleared out all the surtling spawns, even though I realized they're basically harmless in the swamp. I also built some random wooden palisades around the area, just in case it was helpful for projectile attacks or whatever, didn't know the boss yet. I think the mace is the single best swamp-beater. I switched to mace + shield and it's hilarious how many of the swamp enemies just die in one hit with that thing! My polearm is cooler, but the swamp just melts to the mace and so did the boss. We both only used one health potion in the fight, and both in the very start when we got smacked by a big swipe while trying to learn the telegraphs. We used none of the land around him I flattened out. Ring-around-rosie of his skull summoning altar was way more than enough space. I can see how the adds would be a problem in this fight, like, if he and I had tried it out still decked in bronze/troll, plus his sword and my polearm... the adds would've be stamina-draining hassles. Skellies and slimes just too resistant to our previous damage type. With the iron mace though... the adds were a joke as long as you remembered them. If one of us was close to where he hocked his mob-loogie, we could clear them in all in the same swipe.

I hope there's a boss rush or mass-boss fight at some point, so far I can see these first three bosses being fun all at once, without them overlapping too much or just being utter chaos.

We were sick of raiding tombs for iron after the boss and are clearly too stronk as it is, so we sailed the rest of our iron back home. We resolved to not waste any time gearing up this round, we know of two mountains connected to our mainbase superisland, we're just heading straight there and hoping we find the boss ASAP. This might be an rear end-kicking, but good, we want one.

Of course, I will still make dawdling time to build up a new castle now that we got stone building! I already regret all the stone we wasted landscaping our temporary swamp and forge fort, which withstood a few troll attacks, plus a troll invasion, and a hilarious suicidal draugr invasion where they just killed themselves on our spikes. There was one skeleton smart/lucky enough to attack the not-pointy side-- almost had me interrupt my forge tending to go outside to deal with this lone badass, but he ran off shortly after. Don't blame em.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
What is the best way / gear needed to kill lox? I accidentally ran into one on my first trip to the plains and it 1 shotted me, so I've been scared to try again lol

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been doing obsidian arrows from a Dragur Fang, personally. Looks like they resist blunt, slash, and frost, so you're kinda stuck with bows, spears, or the Porcupine.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Safest way is running away and shooting it with arrows. You can parry it with the silver shield (i've seen a video with someone doing it with bronze even) but you're going to be hurting if you mess up the timing. I'm in fully upgraded plains tier armor and they still do pretty big damage when they hit me, like 30-50. Another option is backstabbing with a dagger if you're into that sort of thing.

Comedy option is jumping on it's back and using the pickaxe, just jump when it does it's slam attack.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Have a strong enough shield to parry its attacks (iron doesn't cut it i think), then just parry -> stab -> stab -> repeat until it dies. Someone on the Valheim discord was very enthusiastic about switching to an atgeir after parrying each time but it seems like a pain.

Failing that, go stand on a rock or behind a moat and slowly arrow them to death.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

That is why I haven't bothered with rust or conan or ark or any of that stuff, I don't play multiplayer games and I doubly don't play PVP grindy survival games multiplayer.

The goon Conan servers disable most of the standard pain points of survival games, no pvp, no building decay, no loot drop on death. Still has some of the Survival aspects but its a more chill explore/build environment on those servers.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Broken Cog posted:

Hopefully the success of this game dispels the notion that survival game needs to have PvP to be successful. It seems a lot of people were waiting for one that didn't have that as a focus.

this is exactly the game I was looking for. I love survival, what I don't love is having to be on 10 hours a day to survive. Or basically a recreation of this scene like all of my PubG and Rust fights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws&t=490s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

What is the best way / gear needed to kill lox? I accidentally ran into one on my first trip to the plains and it 1 shotted me, so I've been scared to try again lol

Like most things in the game, you can whittle them down with a bow. They're kind of fast but not light speed.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

xzzy posted:

Like most things in the game, you can whittle them down with a bow. They're kind of fast but not light speed.

Yeah pretty much fight them the same way you would Trolls early in the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
poo poo, if anything I'd have the dragon eggs be both unteleportable and only haulable through carts. A lot of the fun is carving your way through mountains, forests, and whatever in order to get X to Y.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Once you get a silver shield & spear the Lox are easy to take down. They have only like 2 different attacks you need to parry. Just make sure you're fighting them 1v1 by firing an arrow at them from a distance away from their herd.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm another person who never would have touched the game if it didn't strip out all the things I dislike about survival games. Not having to watch a bunch of bars that drain ridiculously fast and constantly stuffing your face to avoid starving in 5 minutes is great. Free repairs and full material refunds when deconstructing things is great. And not forcing PvP where anyone can come along and make your life miserable is great. I know some people love it, and they're welcome to it, but I've never liked PvP being bolted on to the side of essentially PvE games. It's always jarring when they cross. Like playing solitaire and then someone runs up, sets fire to your cards, and punches you out.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

for everyone i know playing it the moment they realised that you dont just die of starvation or exposure if you brb to the toilet was a revelation

then you go into the water and drown immediately

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Taffer posted:

Any abandoned building will do, doesn't need to be village. In fact I've only ever seen behives in buildings that are not part of villages. For me they've always been in meadows, always been isolated buildings, and the beehive is always inside.

ive found 4 that way and one in one of a half dozen draugr infested houses. it really is random

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm another person who never would have touched the game if it didn't strip out all the things I dislike about survival games. Not having to watch a bunch of bars that drain ridiculously fast and constantly stuffing your face to avoid starving in 5 minutes is great.

Instead, you only need to stuff your face every 6-10 minutes to renew food buffs. And the buffs are optional (but they help a lot).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

mastershakeman posted:

ive found 4 that way and one in one of a half dozen draugr infested houses. it really is random

I've found a few in black forest stone structures, too. Meadows seems more common, though.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It would be so nice if the portals were all networked and you could just pick your destination on the map.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It would definitely make building a portal nexus easier instead of having to create a massive hall to contain every one we have active.