Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I just went on my first big exploration in my longship to try to find a path to Bonemass (he's super far away). Just as I landed to build my portal I got attacked by leaches and had forgotten to eat food so my stamina was super low. I died :(

Now I have a very long trek on my backup Karve to get back to my corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Otacon posted:

Wards prevent theft

Early game you're poo poo outta luck though

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Andrigaar posted:

So I spent the night trying to tame two wolves on top of the one I tamed a day or two ago. Target was one, but two ran into my little pen area and were tamed! Oh, but within 30 seconds of them following me and arriving to our main base the game despawned both of the two new ones. I told both to stay by the entrance after I closed the door behind them, ran off to our forge/workbench area, and turned around to one wolf :mad:

Time to look around and see if there's a limit to tamed wolves.

You have to keep them in your line of sight to prevent despawning

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Andrigaar posted:

So I spent the night trying to tame two wolves on top of the one I tamed a day or two ago. Target was one, but two ran into my little pen area and were tamed! Oh, but within 30 seconds of them following me and arriving to our main base the game despawned both of the two new ones. I told both to stay by the entrance after I closed the door behind them, ran off to our forge/workbench area, and turned around to one wolf :mad:

Time to look around and see if there's a limit to tamed wolves.

I had a boar pen, and the boars kept escaping whenever I'd load into the area. I ended up building a second wall around the first pen, and when I load in they're within the second wall but not the inner pen. I might need a 3rd larger pen surrounding both because they're STILL escaping. There's definitely something weird going on with tamed animals being loaded outside of their last-known location.

dogstile posted:

Early game you're poo poo outta luck though

Yep! Hopefully nobody wants to steal your wooden arrows and resin and boar meat.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Otacon posted:

Yep! Hopefully nobody wants to steal your wooden arrows and resin and boar meat.

I literally forgot those exist. Do they cover a large area? Is it like the thing around the merchant?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's a huge, invisible radius.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Otacon posted:

We actually had an issue with certain people stealing all the stuff required to make bronze. Before I could work out who it was I had to knock trees into other tree's to get the fine wood part of the recipe. :v:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Otacon posted:

I had a boar pen, and the boars kept escaping whenever I'd load into the area. I ended up building a second wall around the first pen, and when I load in they're within the second wall but not the inner pen. I might need a 3rd larger pen surrounding both because they're STILL escaping. There's definitely something weird going on with tamed animals being loaded outside of their last-known location.

I heard a rumor that if they're partway inside the wall when you leave the area, when you return, they'll be on top of it instead, and can walk off.

Try using 'walls' of raised earth, instead. Or putting them in a pit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Wards do not stop a determined attacker from simply bashing your structures/etc down with the Stagbreaker or other meaty weapon so it's still no guarantee. That said, since servers are so small the public server life typically means that if anyone breaks the rules, they cry to the admin and the admin just bans the people who came most recently if there's no easy evidence available.

Note that rules don't have to be griefing in the usual sense. I got banned off of one server for building a public waystation by their portal nexus. The reason, apparently, is that the portal nexus was supposed to be a nature reserve and me building a 5x5 hut with some basic services, items, and some beds ruined the local aesthetic or some poo poo.

It's a shrug though. Ultimately the public server life is like any tiny social group. Rules, when they exist, are largely arbitrary and there to make whoever is considered king of the ring feel more important. My personal community's server has simply run off a "don't be a dick" understanding and everything's been fine. Griefing by building or bashing is fairly limited just because it takes a while to do anything and detection isn't hard. Theft and stuff is pretty meaningless because any sizable heist is going to be erased in 30 seconds as the victim just hops into their own world, presses F5 to enable the console, and spawns the 100 iron bars you took with a few keystrokes.

That doesn't mean it won't happen, of course.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 5, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, the fact that you can trivially just cheat stuff in seems like it'd blunt a lot of non-destructive griefing.

Is kind of weird you can't spawn in specific patterns for shields, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

It's a huge, invisible radius.

You can make it visible by punching things, they allegedly reduce damage taken by structures in the area, so I have been adding them to all my builds. They flash a dome of effect when you damage something in their range.

Unrelated: What is the bracket on the back of the longship for?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 5, 2021

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Fart Car '97 posted:

You have to keep them in your line of sight to prevent despawning

Wooo boy, that means the Reddit thread I found about going from taming directly to breeding while I'm idling right next to them wasn't bullshit (allegedly the offspring mostly won't despawn). Goals for this weekend when there's a lull. If I can find more starred wolves anyway.

Otacon posted:

The one-star boar I did catch wasn't done being tamed and we forgot about it a bit. So it nipped at one us, and the tamed no-star wolf leapt into action by chomping down the fence and eating that boar in an instant. Since then our six boars became two when the other four ran away with the fence still unfixed, while the remaining two aimlessly wander the compound and haven't bred again. So I do agree that animal husbandry has some issues.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Some tips for new players or people having a hard time:

• Get a fine wood bow ASAP and upgrade it as more fine wood becomes available, it's a huge step above a crude bow and even less resource intensive due to how precious leather scraps are early, you can either beat the first boss and mine copper like a smuck or enlist the aid of a friendly troll or other trees to knock down birches for you, a fully upgraded fine wood bow will carry you the entire game no problem.
  • Fully upgraded troll leather armor will last you the entire game and is easy to acquire the materials.
  • Once you've got a sizable stack of surtling cores and access to fine wood keep a portal in your pocket whenever you go exploring and collecting whatever you find on the ground, you can't take ores through but you can empty everything else back at your home base and then portal right back, always take a portal with you on boat rides for when you want to make landfall on a new continent, portals are still handy for mining just to shorten the return trip to the mining deposit.
  • Build carts and boats on-site instead of dragging them from your base to the edge of the world.
  • Wood arrows and fire arrows can handle every enemy in the game just fine and you don't need to spend resources on anything fancier at this point in the game's life unless you are pushing something new and difficult, if a enemy ends up taking a extra wooden arrow to kill then if you used a fancy arrow, then you just get to build more bow skill.
  • Most enemies can't climb or descend a small rocky ledge which can help you keep enemies out of your base.
  • Crafting stations and possibly other player buildings prevent enemy spawns in case you don't want gray dwarves to gift you their wood and resin every 10 seconds or want a little space to protect your farm, though a small fence helps keeps pests out.

And finally when entering the bronze age and iron age, this is what I would recommend prioritizing and what I would recommend against building:
  • Bronze age: get a bronze axe ASAP, followed by a buckler if using one handers, I also regret not making a bronze mace or spear when I entered the bronze age but the bronze axe is completely combat capable, skip bronze armor and the bronze pickaxe, it doesn't do anything the antler pickaxe can't do but you got to repair it at a forge constantly.
  • Iron age: Banded shield ASAP, followed by pickaxe, axe, mace and iron helmet and enough iron to turn into 100 iron nails to bring home for longboats, the entire rest of the iron equipment is optional and iron body armor and pants aren't too huge of a upgrade over fully upgraded troll leather still to be worth the 10% movement penalty while exploring, with the iron mace the boss and the rest of the swamp denizens won't be much trouble and will last until you get access to silver weapons and armor.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wait, are people using the wood cutting axe as a weapon as well?

I may have misunderstood this game a bit.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Inzombiac posted:

Wait, you're using the people killing axe to cut down trees?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I mean yeah, it's an axe, it does the same damage as a sword more or less, the sword just has a slightly faster attack and the secondary stab.

I would suggest the axe is probably the best thing to make with new materials early on because it combines faster tree cutting with faster enemy cutting.

I'm pretty sure you can also use the giant two handed battleaxe to cut trees too though I haven't tried it.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Some tips for new players or people having a hard time:

[list]
[*]Wood arrows and fire arrows can handle every enemy in the game just fine and you don't need to spend resources on anything fancier at this point in the game's life unless you are pushing something new and difficult, if a enemy ends up taking a extra wooden arrow to kill then if you used a fancy arrow, then you just get to build more bow skill.

The cost of flinthead arrows is super minimal over wood arrows for a decent chunk of damage increase. Flint is easy to find on any shoreline, and you can either shoot birds or just explore for feathers. Plus once you get to the Black Forest, flinthead arrows are in most chests, so it's nice not to manage more than one type of ammo.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Took on Bonemass last night, I may have gotten lucky with the area, as there were no visits from any surrounding creatures. I did flatten out the area before the fight. He's easy to bait a swing, run in and smack him a few times, run back.
He does have way too much health though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Inzombiac posted:

I did for a long time, it mulches Greydwarves, but is too slow to really excel against anything stronger. A sword was a big upgrade when I made the switch at Bronze tier

Gully Foyle posted:

The cost of flinthead arrows is super minimal over wood arrows for a decent chunk of damage increase. Flint is easy to find on any shoreline, and you can either shoot birds or just explore for feathers. Plus once you get to the Black Forest, flinthead arrows are in most chests, so it's nice not to manage more than one type of ammo.

Same with Obsidian arrows later. Big damage increase for material that's stupid easy to get once you have cold resistance.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 5, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Could someone repost some of the dedicated server advice that was posted up thread? I'm thinking of starting a dedicated server on my plex machine for a bit.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I'm pretty sure you can also use the giant two handed battleaxe to cut trees too though I haven't tried it.

It can cut trees but it's nothing special.

Gully Foyle posted:

Yeah, but the damage increase is so small it might not be killing the enemy any faster then a wooden arrow while requiring you to take trips along the shoreline and shooting birds instead of saving up for fancier arrows with those feathers.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I bit the bullet and made a bronze pickaxe. The difference is about 4-5 swings to break a chunk of copper vs. 7-9 for the antler. That's a sizeable difference over time, and just means you'll have to haul around 6 copper ingots for a forge on site, which isn't THAT big of a deal.

If you wall off a copper node and use a bronze axe set up, you'll clear the area in no time, bringing what was once a considerable grind down to a...grind.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I'd say the order for bronze is axe/pick/weapon/armor. The axe is good for a pinch, but bronze maces and swords seem good. I was using the axe and stagbreaker for that tier.

Iron the priority is a pick, though, no questions. I didn't even build an iron axe. One upgrade on a bronze axe is more than enough once your tree cutting starts getting up there.

Also, bare-handed parrying meadows and black forest enemies with a good block skill is really fun and makes me really want to try out the brawling weapons mod and bring Fight Night to the woods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I was wondering if there was a point where you could get it to one shot trees, cos there's the weird thing where it basically is less about damage and more about how many chops you have to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything is a huge upgrade over the previous tier.. bronze pickaxe owns the bone one, and iron owns the bronze one.

It's fun to do a group raid on a crypt and my friends are endlessly whacking on slude piles with their bronze tools and I hit something twice and it breaks apart. The durability improvement is no joke either, mine is max upgraded and I still have 50% durability at the point everyone is at max weight (and we all have belts).

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Trivia posted:

I bit the bullet and made a bronze pickaxe. The difference is about 4-5 swings to break a chunk of copper vs. 7-9 for the antler. That's a sizeable difference over time, and just means you'll have to haul around 6 copper ingots for a forge on site, which isn't THAT big of a deal.

If you wall off a copper node and use a bronze axe set up, you'll clear the area in no time, bringing what was once a considerable grind down to a...grind.

Yea, I was hesitant to make the bronze pickax vs mining copper/tin with an antler and workbench, but the durability and damage do usually let you fill up your inventory before it runs out. Or if you're lugging a cart the copper for the forge to repair is simple

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Precisely. It's because of that that I don't really recommend upgrading to the iron axe immediately. Because of the damage range it still typically takes 2-3 swings to fell a tree, another 2 to cleave, and another 2 to disassemble. This is pretty on par with bronze. Coupled with The Elder's ability you can lay waste to a forest with just a bronze axe I reckon.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah, but the damage increase is so small it might not be killing the enemy any faster then a wooden arrow while requiring you to take trips along the shoreline and shooting birds instead of saving up for fancier arrows with those feathers.

Each to his own, but I don't think I spent any more than a few minutes total in my game shooting birds during a rainstorm. Once you start doing Burial Chambers, many of the chests have feathers as well as flinthead arrows. Flint is even easier - walking along a shoreline going from A to B while exploring your initial island will get you plenty of it. You need it anyways for the early game tools and some crafting stations.

It's not like I've done any quantitative testing of how many arrows it takes to kill a troll with each arrow type. But personally it's worth it to me.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I was wondering if there was a point where you could get it to one shot trees, cos there's the weird thing where it basically is less about damage and more about how many chops you have to do.

The axe damage (modified by your skill) determines how many chops you need to do, since trees have (invisible) hp. Iron axe turns me into a tree felling machine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, the fact that you can trivially just cheat stuff in seems like it'd blunt a lot of non-destructive griefing.

Is kind of weird you can't spawn in specific patterns for shields, though.

Barely matters. You can just use the `debugmode` cheat and hit the b key. Now you can create anything with 0 cost.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Inzombiac posted:

The axe is a swingy thing that happens to damage trees. If an enemy gets in the way, it takes damage, too. Have you never before been cutting down a tree and a greyling gets in the way?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Annual income 300 resin, annual expenditure 6 sconces, result chests fill up with resin.
Annual income 300 resin, annual expenditure 8 sconces, result not enough resin to light my house.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I really hope they add inventory slots for equipment. I don't really want to depend on a mod for an EA game that I don't play start to finish in a few sittings.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

30.5 Days posted:

Annual income 300 resin, annual expenditure 6 sconces, result chests fill up with resin.
Annual income 300 resin, annual expenditure 8 sconces, result not enough resin to light my house.

This may be a revolutionary concept to some of you, but:

Light sources don't need to be lit at all times. Light them for comfort, or ambience, or screenshots, but it's fine if they aren't lit at other times. And you have the option of only adding 1 fuel instead of filling them completely. Same for campfires.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is something atmospheric about coming to a base you haven't used in a while and it's cold and dark, so you light it all up.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ughhhh posted:

Could someone repost some of the dedicated server advice that was posted up thread? I'm thinking of starting a dedicated server on my plex machine for a bit.

Check my post history for the thread. Feel free to ask any questions you have or offer points to improve on. Just skip the gcp portions and/or reference the docs I’m talking about directly. I’d also suggest looking into Docker if you’re down to play with containers.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

This was another test I did in my cheaty "do all the stuff" testing phase - iron axe + maxed Woodcutting skill = every tree dies in 1 hit.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Ambaire posted:

This may be a revolutionary concept to some of you, but:

Light sources don't need to be lit at all times. Light them for comfort, or ambience, or screenshots, but it's fine if they aren't lit at other times. And you have the option of only adding 1 fuel instead of filling them completely. Same for campfires.

Nah, torches and sconces need to be fully fueled and lit at all times, also I need to have x3 food buffs even when just standing in my base organizing my chests.

OwlFancier posted:

There is something atmospheric about coming to a base you haven't used in a while and it's cold and dark, so you light it all up.

Definitely, but then I spend the next 10 minutes running around trying to remember where I put all my light sources so I can refuel them, even if I'm just there to grab a few items before leaving for another long period of time.

Okay, maaaybe my brain is a little broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

CRAYON posted:

Nah, torches and sconces need to be fully fueled and lit at all times, also I need to have x3 food buffs even when just standing in my base organizing my chests.

actually started nodding my head irl when reading this