Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I was doing so well, got a karve to map out the perimeter of the islands, slinked through a very narrow creek, made it way far out but had to take a break.

Parked the boat near the shore and not a minute later a goblin came out and killed me.

To get back to my corpse would take nearly an hour of sailing and I can't wait to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I found a pit, except it was in a swamp, so it was just a big pool of water with a chest at the bottom, taunting me.

I really thing a lot of the more basic materials would be improved if you just got them by fighting, even if it's like, the enemies drop nuggets you have to combine 10>1 to make ore, just anything to give you a drip feed of basic metals so you don't have to grind away hours mining the stuff. Like if you enjoy just fighting stuff I think the game should let you do that to progress.

I get what you're saying but gently caress no I hate in games when I need X ore to smelt into 1 bar. I'm aware of how real ore processing goes and how much waste and not-the-stuff-you-want is involved, but for a videogame, especially one with limited inventory as part of it, it just stinks. It's greydwarf eyes and resin litter problem multiplied by each new ore bit added.

As for catering to someone wanting to do all the work and involved perceived tedium, versus catering to those who just like fighting, is always going to be a struggle in games like these. The logistical challenge of surviving a mountain, building a mining camp, mining while fending off enemies, portal, little patches of road for my cart has me engage with far more game systems than I would if all I had to do was walk somewhere, pick a fight with enemies that are pretty easy if you're giving them your undivided attention, and then walk home after enough mob grinding.

I reckon it's better to design toward the system that engages more systems than around folks basically wanting a different type of game entirely, particularly since there's a trivial solution to any given player the moment they personally feel the materials grind has been enough.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They will claw at your turnips at night, you'll want to fence them in and maybe space some crafting benches around the edges of the fields.
If I add some workbenches around my fields to reduce dwarf spawns, do I need to put a roof over them to prevent rain damage too?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Devs pls nerf wolf howls asap my WOLF PACK is doing me fookin head in

There's a mod for that but it changes some other variables too so you'd need to disable the other changes in the config if you just want silent or softer volume. There's another mod to make them go through portals too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Work benches, like all uncovered objects, will deteriorate in the rain but only to half health.

Rain can't destroy anything.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Unlike Minecraft you do not need to be close to your crops in this game for them to grow. I just made a farm in the plains, surrounded it with workbenches, and put a portal there. No enemy has ever come close so I've never had to worry about fortifying it, because I'm not there for long and I'm never there at night. You could do the same thing in the meadows if you're still early on in the game, since all you need is some fine wood.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Inzombiac posted:

Work benches, like all uncovered objects, will deteriorate in the rain but only to half health.

Rain can't destroy anything.

I see. Yeah, so not worth protecting them. Thanks.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Otacon posted:

Yes it's just durability.

You got a source on that? The antler pick does like 4 damage a hit vs about 14 from iron.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Eschatos posted:

You got a source on that? The antler pick does like 4 damage a hit vs about 14 from iron.

Looking into this I think you're right - sorry! I thought it was just Pickaxes skill but I think it's damage from the pickaxe too.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The original question was "do better picks help with iron" and the answer is not really. They have more durability, but the piles still only take 1 hit per fragment even with a basic pick (plus one hit to activate the pile, for lack of a better word).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Eschatos posted:

That matters on other materials but not on iron, it always only takes one hit, so the only stat that matters is durability.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
You can repair an antler pick super easy, I’ve done almost all of my iron mining with antlers to be able to use a tier 1 workbench

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I get what you're saying but gently caress no I hate in games when I need X ore to smelt into 1 bar. I'm aware of how real ore processing goes and how much waste and not-the-stuff-you-want is involved, but for a videogame, especially one with limited inventory as part of it, it just stinks. It's greydwarf eyes and resin litter problem multiplied by each new ore bit added.

I mean, the two possibilities are a 100% chance to drop 1/10th of an ore, or a 10% chance to drop 1 ore, and I feel like the former is less annoying because it's predictable, I don't particularly like super rare drops in games, especially in a game where ores are not teleportable and also especially in games where limited inventory means you have to plan for the stuff you expect to collect. If I know enemies drop ore fragments I just make a slot in my inventory for them when I go out to fight stuff. The problem with a lot of the drops is that they have no use, not that they exist. I always collect useful things like wood and stone because I use it all building. And metals have so many uses that I can't imagine you would ever not want to pick them up.

I don't really find trawling through the same procgenned ruin hitting piles of poo poo with a pickaxe to grind out iron to be engaging at all. Silver is... somewhat more interesting I guess in that the terrain is more interesting to navigate and you seem to need less of it. But fundamentally I don't think that hitting inanimate objects with a stick is an interesting mechanic, so while I don't mind doing some of it, I would prefer if there were supplementary ways to get the same resources. If you want to hit rocks with sticks you still can, but I would prefer something that facilitates acquiring resources by exploration so that I am not doing quite as much hitting rocks with sticks. Another option would be adding more chests with ores in them in more places, or adding a merchant that sells them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 6, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

Everything is a huge upgrade over the previous tier.. bronze pickaxe owns the bone one, and iron owns the bronze one.

It's fun to do a group raid on a crypt and my friends are endlessly whacking on slude piles with their bronze tools and I hit something twice and it breaks apart. The durability improvement is no joke either, mine is max upgraded and I still have 50% durability at the point everyone is at max weight (and we all have belts).

I have like 60 mining skill getting iron stuff because I used 3 antler pickaxes each run so I could repair them easy at a nearby shack

Edit if what everyone is saying is true then this was actually smart, hell yeah gonna go wild with my iron reinforced wood at some point since I didn't bother with iron armor. Guess I can upgrade shield/mace

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 6, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Swamps needing to have crypts (which then have a variable amount of iron in them) to even be worth delving into is the issue, IMO. Most Black Forest biomes I've seen are very generous with copper and tin; I can't say the same for swamps and that's not good when iron is probably the most widely used metal in the game. Like I mentioned before, it's probably best to have like guaranteed iron veins or whatever in the mountains so that you can have multiple reliable sources to consider.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can't argue that the act itself of clicking rocks till it breaks is fun, breaking the terrain itself kinda is, but I'm out here in the swamp right now trying to kill poo poo for guts to make meads and whatnot. I got good armour, food, and poison potion, plus mace/shield so I win(edit: lost immediately forgetting poison potion after chilling on tree stand to browse forum) while I'm here. I'm not progressing just gathering more resources for a chiller time later, having to babysit potion and parries is a different kind of work than mining. Hunting down worms to stomp or sausage men to cut and hanging around their spawn globs is cool, but if I could find a guts-tree or a bloodbag-rock hidden in the muck, I'd be all over it. Lowering material costs or node yields would also be helpful, I'm just playing with 2 people but not, like, twice the miners, so it's a lot more work to get a comfortable stockpile of metal.

I do see room for exploration/fighting based progression options or boons along the way. Finding a building loses a bit of magic once you learn what about to expect in it in a given biome, I would definitely enjoy if there were bigger rare set pieces or trickier/challenging dungeons that make for combat more interesting than the harassment you get anywhere.

Speaking of guts-tree, what's up with these swamp sacs? Am I goof-trooping it by building a workshop and ladders up to it to smack with my axe, my arrows weren't doing any damage.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 6, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I do wonder why, in a game with mineable copper and silver ore, the devs made the dubious decision to make iron require grinding crypts for hours on end just to make a basic set of equipment. Iron ore could've been buried in the swamp, but that would also require a better solution for water than 'lol base terrain layer'. I'm daydreaming about building waterproof walls and somehow pumping the excess water out to dig down to the ore...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ambaire posted:

I do wonder why, in a game with mineable copper and silver ore, the devs made the dubious decision to make iron require grinding crypts for hours on end just to make a basic set of equipment. Iron ore could've been buried in the swamp, but that would also require a better solution for water than 'lol base terrain layer'. I'm daydreaming about building waterproof walls and somehow pumping the excess water out to dig down to the ore...

Don't wanna spoil if you're still at swamp stage, but there is scrap ore buried in the swamp, you just don't have a sensible way to find it until after you beat the boss.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Khanstant posted:

Don't wanna spoil if you're still at swamp stage, but there is scrap ore buried in the swamp, you just don't have a sensible way to find it until after you beat the boss.

Tried finding one of those. Dug down to the water at the sweet spot and found nothing; didn't bother trying to go deeper.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also those veins have poo poo amounts of ore. Even a bad crypt has way more than multiple swamp veins combined

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Buried ones in the swamp should be veins like the silver in the mountains.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm surprised no one is gated on the one impossible to find resource, thistle. I even marked spots and went back now and then, no luck

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thistle and berries are very hit or miss, sometimes you find them sometimes you don't. Thistle at least glows at night so you can find it a bit easier in the forests. But we should be able to grow flowers anyway, for harvest and beautifaction.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I hope down the line there is a bit of a rebalance of early metal costs, it takes 20 iron to make a iron bow and 60 more to fully upgrade it, just to end up with something that does less damage then the next tier basic bow.

I was pretty surprised just now by this. I spent a good deal of time getting to my first swamp crypt (including a death run requiring another boat build which meant I needed to first remake a bronze axe for fine wood), but it felt great cause I pulled out nearly 100 scrap from it. Sailed it back home to make my first iron, and then I find that everything costs like 15-20 iron.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I find gathering thistle easy because of how it glows, but then again I play single player so there isn't much competition for them and my map has a ton of black forest all over the place (hardly any swamp though....).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Problem is this sucks, not only are those about as rare as silver veins, but each has about ~5 iron ore in it compared to about ~75 for each silver vein, and it is often literally impossible to mine them out fully due to them nearly always being below the water level. They're barely even worth bothering with, and its a painful chore to harvest them when you do just need that little extra bit of iron. There should just be infrequent-but-large veins of real iron ore in the swamps that is above the water level, similar to copper in the dark forest.

finding out that the last set of armor currently in the game ALSO takes a ton of iron was a real slap in the face considering how much harder it is to get than both silver and black iron. Why that set isn't made from black iron is beyond me

Woden
May 6, 2006
I had enough iron for full upgrades of everything of note as well as enough for what comes after before I even found the swamp boss location.

If you know where the boss is you can at least attempt to fight it whenever you get sick of farming ores and move the game forward, if you don't know where the boss is that's a much harder gating you're stuck behind.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Khanstant posted:

Speaking of guts-tree, what's up with these swamp sacs? Am I goof-trooping it by building a workshop and ladders up to it to smack with my axe, my arrows weren't doing any damage.

Use a pickaxe.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

OwlFancier posted:

Thistle and berries are very hit or miss, sometimes you find them sometimes you don't. Thistle at least glows at night so you can find it a bit easier in the forests. But we should be able to grow flowers anyway, for harvest and beautifaction.

Being able to plant glowing flowers around my base and paths and stuff would own so much

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

While we're talking QoL improvements, I'd love it if harvesting carrots wasn't a pixel hunt (unless there's a way to mass harvest I haven't figured out). Also it'd be cool if we could see the radius around planted crops so we don't have to guess where to plant. Either one would be good, really.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eschatos posted:

Use a pickaxe.

The axe works on the globs just fine, I was asking if there was a more elegant way to get to the high ones without building your own weird scaffolding to it.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I feel like adding buried ore veins to a biome that is completely flat and sits about 1 square or less above the water table might not have been very clearly thought out!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Where the gently caress can I find more burial crypts for Surtling cores? There seem to be none at all in several of these black forest biomes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They come in several forms, there's a barrow with a door on one side, a sunken one, and an aboveground henge. But they all spawn in forests so you just gotta get lucky enough, the game is a bit hit or miss with key structures unfortunately.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Turns out going back to the spawn stones and interacting with the trophy did indeed give me my stamina power. Thanks again!:)

As long as we're daydreaming lowest priority not feasible things I would love the map gen to include waterfalls.:allears:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Where the gently caress can I find more burial crypts for Surtling cores? There seem to be none at all in several of these black forest biomes.

Biome spoilers Travel far, far south and you'll find enemies that drop Surtling cores as a regular item.

_____! posted:

As long as we're daydreaming lowest priority not feasible things I would love the map gen to include waterfalls.:allears:

I love the water effects with tides and huge waves during storms but it does feel a bit limiting with no water above the ocean level and no way to drain water from holes at that level.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 6, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why is a copper bar heavier than copper ore? Ugh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The swamp has a good source of surtling cores too.

Well "good" might be overstating it because you have to stand around and watch but it's low effort.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zesty posted:

Because fire adds mass, duh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zesty posted:

Because copper has about twice the atomic mass of silicon, which is what rocks are made of normally. Copper is heavier than rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

The swamp has a good source of surtling cores too.

Well "good" might be overstating it because you have to stand around and watch but it's low effort.

They definitely aren't smartlings.