Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

use Lox in the black forest imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

(ashlands boss) fader fight was intense. 20 straight minutes of blasting him with level 4 frost staff at 79 elemental magic, with new mage armor, queen power, and chucking all the meads every time the cooldown timer was up. very fun, high mobility fight. slightly less .. anything, and I would have lost rested and probably died.

the power gives +300% carry weight and +10% movement speed, which is great. oddly, the trophy doesn't go next to moder's.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 30, 2024

Burns
May 10, 2008

I am not a fan of any of the boss powers but more so how they are utilized.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Zodium posted:

(ashlands boss)
the power gives +300% carry weight and +10% movement speed, which is great. oddly, the trophy doesn't go next to moder's.

Oh hell yes. Is that before equipment buffs or after?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Oh hell yes. Is that before equipment buffs or after?

not sure where my movespeed armor is, sorry. probably on a rack somewhere.

used staff of the wilds, which summons elder-like plant tentacle things, to take my 4th fortress. didn't really like this at first, but it's very fun for that specific purpose if you combat engineer your way in. however, this fortress yielded a new gem type: the bloodstone, which let me make a troldstav that summons a flaming troll skeleton i'm very excited to use on the 5th fortress.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Zodium posted:

(ashlands boss) fader fight was intense. 20 straight minutes of blasting him with level 4 frost staff at 79 elemental magic, with new mage armor, queen power, and chucking all the meads every time the cooldown timer was up. very fun, high mobility fight. slightly less .. anything, and I would have lost rested and probably died.

Is that fight doable without the new magic stuff?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Is that fight doable without the new magic stuff?

I used the staff of frost and protection only, but you will need high elemental and blood magic skill (I had 79 and 70). the new stuff isn't really useful for that particular fight.

had to finally redo my portal/storage barn i've had since the bronze age to fit the new portal and more/upgraded/better sorted chests, and other than the temporary straw roof because I ran out of tar, i'm pretty happy with how it turned out:

racks fit 48 black metal chests, plus 12 on top. also finally found my fenris set back. might see if I can put another floor on top and move my crafting stations there.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 3, 2024

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I meant "new magic stuff" as in the magic stuff introduced in mistlands. Sorry, I was a mite unclear. :)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

in that case yes, I was forced to finally level elemental magic up. it's probably possible, but I don't know how you'd go about beating him without at least staff of protection. melee seems right out.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ok i want to rant about something that is common to nearly every survival game and its this travesty of game design:

https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Chest

Yes, the standard box storage which exists in nearly every survival game. I am developing a hatred for this visually boring, bag of holding empowered piece of poo poo.

I'd like Valheim to move away from this by adding a storage shelf which still has the same amount of slots but actually visually shows the items stored in that slot. Id also make storage shelves snappable so that it can be made 3 to 4 shelves high which is what most players already do.

Secondly, id like the game to add a separate Bulk storage system using already existing assets for wood, stone, iron, ore which act as mostly decoration at this stage.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

that would be welcome. i would much rather throw all my things in a searchable bulk storage thing with toggled item display than meticulously organize and maintain a complex system of Generic Chests.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Burns posted:

Ok i want to rant about something that is common to nearly every survival game and its this travesty of game design:

https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Chest

Yes, the standard box storage which exists in nearly every survival game. I am developing a hatred for this visually boring, bag of holding empowered piece of poo poo.

I'd like Valheim to move away from this by adding a storage shelf which still has the same amount of slots but actually visually shows the items stored in that slot. Id also make storage shelves snappable so that it can be made 3 to 4 shelves high which is what most players already do.

Secondly, id like the game to add a separate Bulk storage system using already existing assets for wood, stone, iron, ore which act as mostly decoration at this stage.
What, like the "wood pile" is just a chest that takes essentially unlimited (or a very high amount) of just wood but keeps the same appearance? And same for coal/stone/etc piles? I'd like that.

I'd love both display shelves and, frankly, just bigger shelves. At least blackmetal shelves are fairly easy to build en masse since the fulings just bring you the materials, but they kind of look like rear end in many ways.

E: vvv don't know if I'd like my piles getting bigger the more I added unless it was something like how carts get more cargo spaces as you add stuff.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 3, 2024

Burns
May 10, 2008

Did you guys ever play Stronghold? I am sort of thinking of how Stronghold did it. Youd build a supply stash and you could visually see the amount of matetial stockpiled. Im thinking of somthing similar.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Burns posted:

Did you guys ever play Stronghold? I am sort of thinking of how Stronghold did it. Youd build a supply stash and you could visually see the amount of matetial stockpiled. Im thinking of somthing similar.

this would definitely be sweet but it also would be a significant cost in terms of dev time

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

sounds annoying in practice. don't like to build around pieces having variable size.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zodium posted:

sounds annoying in practice. don't like to build around pieces having variable size.

in stronghold youd have a square piece of foundation that didnt change size, it would just display different stuff on top of it

Burns
May 10, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

this would definitely be sweet but it also would be a significant cost in terms of dev time

All of the assets already exist so it would only be a matter of how thet are displayed in the object. Naturally i still visually like the iron chest, less so the black metal chest. Also apparently they did something that may in fact function like that with a new Ashlands piece though im not sure as i havnt seen it tested yet.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure I'd have enough shelfspace to store my 500 grey dwarf eyes and resin, or the cpu to render it all.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Heh, some abstraction would obviously remain. I get why just throwing a box is so common in these games.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

meticulously organizing my complex system of Generic Chests in an excel sheet as I prepare to move everything into its correct place makes me realize I would be fine with basically anything else.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
As long as there's a reasonable way to label the chests I don't mind it so much. It's when games arbitrarily gate signs behind further tech and/or don't have signs at all that I get mad. No I'm not going to tell my friends "cooking supplies are the third wooden chest on the left" - gently caress you.

Crafting from containers should absolutely be a standard by now. It's 2024, I'm not shuffling that poo poo around just because. I already collected it, I did the timewaster thing.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
palworld was cool because I could craft a giant shipping container, throw all my resources in it and then completely forget about storage for the rest of the game

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It feels really bad in any survival crafter when you make a big organized "this is metal only" or "this is plants only" resource section that can hold 200 stacks and you feel all good, then you get stack 201.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Also if you're going to have different tiers of storage and/or crafting stations that are the same size and are a replacement for the lower tier let me upgrade them in place you fucks. Stationeers is pretty good at that at least. They used to have insulated pipes and regular pipes and you had to disassemble/replace them. Now you just have insulated padding you can add to existing pipes, or you can craft them as insulated out the gate.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It feels really bad in any survival crafter when you make a big organized "this is metal only" or "this is plants only" resource section that can hold 200 stacks and you feel all good, then you get stack 201.

yep

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

another thing I'm finding annoying about ashlands is you can't see anything unless the weather is clear. if it's raining or foggy when I wake up in my base, I just have to do something else until the weather changes. don't know why iron gate is so enamored with low visibility the last two biomes, the earlier ones don't have this problem.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Zodium posted:

in that case yes, I was forced to finally level elemental magic up. it's probably possible, but I don't know how you'd go about beating him without at least staff of protection. melee seems right out.

Booo.
Really was not fond of the sudden change to all new weaponry and skilling up gear. Was jarring AF.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Booo.
Really was not fond of the sudden change to all new weaponry and skilling up gear. Was jarring AF.

i will say it is very fun, mechanically. i'm enjoying the gameplay a lot. but yeah, there is a constant and jarring contrast with the Viking aesthetic I originally fell for as I run around in my sorcerer robes, with my personal force field, swapping between four different wizard staves that summon skeletons and lightning bolts and transport my loot back to base through my stargate. there is very little of Viking aesthetic left.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Zodium posted:

there is very little of Viking aesthetic left.

Would love a mod that blocked all of that silly magic garbage, and I am someone who plays with the epic loot mod that has "magic" properties for existing gear.

Spent most of the game happily skilling up and raping thigs with your daggers in light armor? Put on the robes and pick up the staff, because ~*gently caress you*~

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's plenty of options for non-magic. It might be a little bit harder, particularly with the bosses, But it's perfectly viable for everything else.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyway this is a house building sim first and a cooking sim second. Combat is an afterthought.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

There's plenty of options for non-magic. It might be a little bit harder, particularly with the bosses, But it's perfectly viable for everything else.

They really need to reduce the knockback on parries or blocks, because that's part of what makes melee so tedious. That and make spells cost stamina, since part of what makes mages so good is uncoupling their damage resources from their defensive resource. That and bubble staff making any kind of health food superfluous. If bubble shield had health in relation to existing health it might make the 2 eitr 1 stamina or 3 eitr mage a little less durable while opening up a mage that entered melee and used the eitr for ranged attacks when out of stamina.

As is mages are just so good in comparison to anything else. Against bosses melee just gets knocked back far enough on a successful parry that you can't take advantage of it and has to spend stamina on attacking and defending themselves and repositioning.

E: also yeah melee is sometimes better against mobs (I think it will probably be the way to move through Ashlands once I get more appropriate gear) but magic against the Queen is clearly easier than anything else and I assume it'll be that way against the Ashlands boss too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully rather than lobster-bucket-ing magic they focus on making melee/archery better. There's a really good cloak for melee in the update.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Zodium posted:

there is very little of Viking aesthetic left.

To be fair, viking aesthetics/folklore is rather limited to begin with.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You don’t have to play with magic spells. :shrug:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Zesty posted:

You don’t have to play with magic spells. :shrug:

I was mostly able to avoid it for mistlands, but this doesn’t seem to be true for ashlands.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The actual final boss in Valheim is going to be building a functional staircase in a confined space that doesn't look like poo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Eifert Posting posted:

The actual final boss in Valheim is going to be building a functional staircase in a confined space that doesn't look like poo poo.

Portals.+

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Odin: Build the perfect stairs in this tower.
Me: Portal :smug:
Odin: You cowardly defeated Moder with arrows from under her alter, you cowardly defeated Yagluth from under his alter drawing him out with a wood floor over the trench that you proceeded to splash damage him with a sledge 30 points at a time, you....to Hel and it's mistress with you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Stairs wouldn’t be so bad if they just had diagonal wood pieces that fit into 1/8th and 1/16th turns. It’s filling those gaps that I find really frustrating; it’s all the precisely-placed 1x1s to get something that looks okay, only to find out the character model still gets caught on them somehow.