Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Found a way to neatly stack reinforced chests:

1. place a stone arch at lowest possible level off the floor
2. place chest on top of arch
3. destroy arch
4. place second chest below first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

You'll need to pick the right damage type to deal with the right enemies.

How do you know the right damage type without wiki diving?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just hit 'em with a bunch of stuff and see what gives yellow numbers

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Man, iron is such a miserable grind. Enter swamp crypt. Chop scrap piles until pick breaks. Go put iron in smelters, repair pick, repeat.

Why the hell couldn't iron have been from ore like copper was or I hear silver is?!?

And iron equipment needs SO MUCH IRON. Like 10 times as much as the finished thing weighs... it's stupid.

Crafting an item should not alter the total weight of stuff in my inventory.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Taffer posted:

How do you know the right damage type without wiki diving?

Broken Cog posted:

Just hit 'em with a bunch of stuff and see what gives yellow numbers

To expand a bit, grey numbers mean they are resistant to the damage, white means they are neutral to it, and yellow means they are weak to it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

To expand a bit, grey numbers mean they are resistant to the damage, white means they are neutral to it, and yellow means they are weak to it.

I've never actually noticed that! Thanks, I'll keep that in mind in the future

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Man, iron is such a miserable grind. Enter swamp crypt. Chop scrap piles until pick breaks. Go put iron in smelters, repair pick, repeat.

Why the hell couldn't iron have been from ore like copper was or I hear silver is?!?

And iron equipment needs SO MUCH IRON. Like 10 times as much as the finished thing weighs... it's stupid.

Crafting an item should not alter the total weight of stuff in my inventory.

Be aware that you also need iron for a lot of higher-tier stuff, so assuming you don't want to just cheat spawn some later on (totally valid if the swamp no longer poses a challenge for you and you're playing solo imo), make sure you get a boatload (as in, filling every slot of your longboat) of the stuff right now so you don't have to go back and trudge through all those shitheaps again.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This game is like a two decades old throwback to corpse runs in mmos, lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
More generous than old MMOs or the kind of survival games this is a better vein of. Minecraft and Terraria can make you drop your stuff when you die, but then only once at a time, and even then something might gently caress up, destroy, or steal your poo poo.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fart Car '97 posted:

The swamp is a difficulty ramp but mainly because it's the first biome that requires you to engage all of the game's systems. You'll need to be using carrot soup, jam, and cooked meat. You'll need to utilize sleep to avoid the swamp at night. You NEED the rested buff and you'll wanted the best arrows you can craft. You'll need to pick the right damage type to deal with the right enemies. The fact that you kind of have to engage everything is cool and good, worth the shock of coming out of the relatively easy black forest and getting owned, and it prepares you to take the next 2 biomes more seriously.

You can just kind of brute Force the Dark Forest, but you can't really with the swamp. I think it's cool for that.

How do I get into the jam and soups? I can plant carrots but haven't ,but aren't berries forage only?

Khanstant posted:

More generous than old MMOs or the kind of survival games this is a better vein of. Minecraft and Terraria can make you drop your stuff when you die, but then only once at a time, and even then something might gently caress up, destroy, or steal your poo poo.

this is the first time I've ever played one of those and I'm finding it enjoyable, albeit the map seems too big for my tastes. But I did find it fun to go try to get my corpse, realize it was still guarded, back off to the nearest meadow, go wild on trees and get a shack and spawn point, then make the attempt. Which I barely pulled off - the archer draugrs weren't at my tombstone but leeches were, I hopped out and got it, jumped back in the boat and some blob landed on me. Had to jump out again and swim to get it off, then board and try to sail away while 2 archers, 2 leeches and a blob were owning me

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 25, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Khanstant posted:

This game locks you from stat loss and even gives you a sprint buff when you open a grave so you can run away (and probably get one shot by an arrow, but still).

Dying sucks and corpse runs make you feel like a loser, but it's a useful game mechanic and they handled it pretty well in this one.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its crazy how good the game is already. they really captured the sense of adventure and venturing out into danger. and the world generation is extremely impressive

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mistermojo posted:

its crazy how good the game is already. they really captured the sense of adventure and venturing out into danger. and the world generation is extremely impressive

I keep meaning to look up the background of the people that did this. There's no way a game with this kind of polish was anyone's first project.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, I took my first longboat and sailed all the way north, thinking there might be something unique.

:siren: HUGE loving SPOILERS :siren:

Sure enough there was a new biome I haven't heard anyone else talk about and purgatory is a massive floating disc

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Major Isoor posted:

Well, if we're still map-posting, here's my current map:

That map looks pretty dope, with that central lake and all those waterways branching out from it. I bet that makes for some interesting terrain.

Anyways, screenshot dump time.

Here's a map of the core area of what I've discovered:

(I have no idea why I keep going back and forth between Finnish and English with the map marker titles)

- Fort Dorkus is my first homebase. It's just a basic shack in the middle of a circle of five standing stones, with a stake wall between the stones.
- poo poo Islet is a tiny meadows island connected to the Black Forest by a narrow isthmus. I was gonna build a bigger base there but later abandoned the idea so it, too, is just a tiny shack and a crafting station, with a stake wall across the isthmus (which doesn't even work because things just swam around it).
- Cabin is named such because I originally intended for it to be just that, but I ended up making it my main base for a good while and just never came up with a name for it. It's a very cozy place and I kinda miss it:

Sadly, it was in the middle of nowhere so I moved to Far Point, which is on another little islet, right at the intersection of Meadows, a little patch of Black Forest, and the Swamp (unfortunately the neaby mountain turned out to be too small to contain anything of interest).

It was originally one of those ruined towers, but after my attempts at "refurbishing" looked like total rear end, I ended up basically tearing it all down and building from scratch. I was gonna make the yard all pretty and everything at some point, but then I found an even better place for a home:

Big Home (I'm not putting much thought into these names, in case you couldn't tell) is, in a satisfying nod to my humble beginnings, in another of those circles of five standing stones, on the shore of a pretty little meadows lake, just a short trip away from some plains, and I even dug a canal from the bay in the south into the lake, for sea access to haul in silver from the nearby mountain. The lake is pretty cramped for a longship, but it works after I took a pickaxe to the shallower parts of the shore. The place is still very much under construction, but I'm pretty satisfied with the early stages. Gonna try to make this one a bit more ornate, too.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Cooked on Phonics posted:

A buddy and fellow goon put together a map generator. Very much a work in progress, but might be useful for some people.

https://valheim.hedren.dev/

Edit: Saw this just got posted. Nevermind then.

Man, I wish this worked with my 57MB db file (error 413: Entity too large) but otoh I'm kind of glad it doesn't. I already ruined some of the fun by using the exploremap cheat on the local copy of my dedicated server's world not knowing the explored map would carry over to the server. I know now I should've made a new character. I do want to find my trader though :argh:

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
Deer sounds intensify

Goddamn Hippy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 25, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Lozareth posted:

Man, I wish this worked with my 57MB db file (error 413: Entity too large) but otoh I'm kind of glad it doesn't. I already ruined some of the fun by using the exploremap cheat on the local copy of my dedicated server's world not knowing the explored map would carry over to the server. I know now I should've made a new character. I do want to find my trader though :argh:

What's the seed for your map? Someone else can make it and it should be the same (or close, if it's still got some randomness?)

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

pik_d posted:

What's the seed for your map? Someone else can make it and it should be the same (or close, if it's still got some randomness?)

dL3CnYvfyH

Edit: I was able to do it myself making a new world using the seed. Neato!

Edit 2: There's 15 crypts in the swamp where I just built a base :stare:

Lozareth fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 25, 2021

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Game has passed 4 million sold today, it's wild. It's been hitting another million sold about every 5 days so far. Wonder how long it can keep up this momentum.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Hopped into the shared map with my wife. We took our karve out to map the continent and wound up going really far and then stumbling on the trader. Super excited, we chopped down a bunch of trees, built a house, put down our portal, and hopped back in the karve to head back for home. Got too close to the plains and a fucksquito took 4 swipes at the boat and killed her, before I got a lucky arrow shot off. I scooped up her gear, and started to limp back home when the serpent came to take the last two chomps off the karve, and drown me.

I haven't ragequit a game in a while.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

BobTheJanitor posted:

Game has passed 4 million sold today, it's wild. It's been hitting another million sold about every 5 days so far. Wonder how long it can keep up this momentum.

Holy poo poo apparently they also hit 500k concurrent players which puts it in the top 5 most played games in Steam's history :stare:

Here's my lovely portal dragon to celebrate :toot:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 25, 2021

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Well, I took my first longboat and sailed all the way north, thinking there might be something unique.

:siren: HUGE loving SPOILERS :siren:

Sure enough there was a new biome I haven't heard anyone else talk about and purgatory is a massive floating disc

Now go south . . .

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I fell behind on this thread pretty bad so I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but here are my final final final rules for how structural integrity works in valheim.

When you place a piece it finds the shortest path to the ground in meters. It is not number of pieces- pieces that are half as long or half as wide increase distance from the ground by half as much. It also is not a generic weight value on each piece- the path seems capable of cutting across corners.

You can see here that we have 16-meter high structures in both 1m stone blocks, 2m stone blocks, and 2m wood walls. Additionally, you can see that I build out to the left 4m and then up. The left wood is 3m shorter than the right wood, though, not 4m.

Here's the trick: the path limit actually seems to be about 50m. Wood and stone count triple. Core wood counts double. Iron wood counts regular.

Then there's interactions between types. If you stack one type on top of another, it can increase or decrease the path length of the new piece.

Wood on stone reduces the path length to 0 (grounded).
Stone on wood increases it by 50 (breaks).
Iron on stone has no effect, it just measures the path.
Wood on iron reduces the path length by 21(ish?), to a minimum of 0.
Stone on iron and iron on wood increases the path by 21(ish?)

This means that you can build pillars somewhat higher- something like 28 meters tall- if you reinforce them with iron. 21 + 28 = 49 so you can just barely attach a stone pillar without it breaking. Then you can build another 16m of wood off of that.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm getting ready to start exploring the swamp, and was cruising around an island to find a spot to drop a portal and make a outpost. I round the island, and come across a little chunk of meadows wedged in between forest and swamp. I flatten some land, drop a workbench, drop a portal and put in the key.
Then remember that I hadn't gotten around to making the other end yet.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I worship the old gods

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHooaYUJ_aI

Saw this cozy design on my feed if anyone is looking for inspiration to steal off of.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Please build in/near the Black Forest or plant trees, goons. It's depressing seeing all of you hiding behind your 3M wooden palisades with clear skies above you.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

I'm getting ready to start exploring the swamp, and was cruising around an island to find a spot to drop a portal and make a outpost. I round the island, and come across a little chunk of meadows wedged in between forest and swamp. I flatten some land, drop a workbench, drop a portal and put in the key.
Then remember that I hadn't gotten around to making the other end yet.

What if you killed yourself, respawned back at home, then build a portal there to go to the swamp, retrieve your gear and continue? Could work, unless you've built+tagged a bed at your swamp FOB already, I guess.

Also, this portal stuff just makes me want/plan to find a tiny isolated island somewhere in the ocean, to then build a big, featureless stone slab of a building (round if possible. Not sure if that's feasible or not though) that covers more-or-less the whole isle, then have the interior be one big room with a whole array of portals lining the walls, each linked to a portal in another region of the world. (Preferably with the portals lining the wall being in the correct compass direction as the destination portal) It kinda reminds me of The Hub in the X3 games, which I always liked having.

EDIT:

SKULL.GIF posted:

Please build in/near the Black Forest or plant trees, goons. It's depressing seeing all of you hiding behind your 3M wooden palisades with clear skies above you.

Speaking of which, how do I plant all these tree seeds I've got? Better yet: How do I regrow grass? My nice flat base is very very brown :saddowns:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I built in the black forest and I regret it because the music is depressing.

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of which, how do I plant all these tree seeds I've got? Better yet: How do I regrow grass? My nice flat base is very very brown :saddowns:

For both of those, you need the Cultivator, which is Bronze tech.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Vanadium posted:

For both of those, you need the Cultivator, which is Bronze tech.

Oh good, since I hit bronze tech last night! I'll give it a look, thanks

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

gently caress that build in the Plains :black101:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've got trees and grass in my base :colbert:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

holey crap the process for taming elite wolves is psycho, I guess you're not really supposed to be able to tame them right now

You have to trap them in a pit or a fence or something and then hang out real close by: because 1- and 2-star wolves only spawn at night they spend all day trying to run away and despawn. Since they're trying to despawn they won't eat during the day, so their domestication gauge only raises at night. So you have to catch one at night, then stand in one place for 4 additional day/night cycles (30mins each) until it's tame. You can afk during this but if anything comes along and kills you or the wolf it's gone. The tame wolf will STILL try to despawn during the day, so you can only move it at night. You pair it with another tame wolf (can be 0stars) and feed them until they produce an elite pup, then you have elite wolves that still die in droves if you try to fight Plains monsters with them

But they apparently propagate real fast when fed and also self-propagate by killing boars and maybe deer and eating the raw meat that drops, so in theory you eventually have a continent full of friendly wolves that kill everything hostile and that you can slaughter for meat. It's probably not remotely worth taming elites instead of just regular wolves though

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 25, 2021

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

also they'll probably get massacred by goblins after you kill boss #5

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I made a nice base around some copper deposits only to find it was near spawn points for wolves and drakes, which 1hko me. I moved my house away from anything too dangerous and the game put a brand new troll spawn point near my new house. :mad:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Me and a buddy finally found some surtling cores, very cool! We'll just beeline for our mini basecamp, after a wild run through the woods. Turns out there's a freaking Mountain we never noticed and we encountered wolves. We thought the troll and goblin horde chasing us was bad, but a single wolf is much worse.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Me and a buddy finally found some surtling cores, very cool! We'll just beeline for our mini basecamp, after a wild run through the woods. Turns out there's a freaking Mountain we never noticed and we encountered wolves. We thought the troll and goblin horde chasing us was bad, but a single wolf is much worse.

hahaha I had a similar situation when I found surtling cores for the first time last night. :D But for me, I was making the 20min voyage home in my raft, when I went 1mm out of 'meadow' coastline into the ocean for quite literally two seconds, shortly after a storm had started...so yeah, a _____sea serpent_____ got me, as I'm sure everyone reading this has predicted already. I respawned, raced over there on foot, waited for it to bugger off, then collected my stuff and hopped onto my almost-destroyed raft for a quick repair before completing the journey. Very tense!

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

gently caress that build in the Plains :black101:

I suspect I will once we get there on my new server, but how is your deathsquito situation? Do they not aggro from outside the base the moment you poke your head over those walls?

30.5 Days posted:

I fell behind on this thread pretty bad so I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but here are my final final final rules for how structural integrity works in valheim.

You're blowing my mind here, I was not going to believe this but it seems to roughly check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Got my first "the ground is shaking" invasion. A single troll spawned on the far side of my moat and wandered around aimlessly while I arrowed it to death. A second one spawned, took a few shots, then fled. And then the invasion ended. Seems the walled moat is a great success.