Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
In my experience, keeping two adult boars seems to be best. They always seem to have 3 piggies as long as they are well fed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Loving my new round outpost (which took entirely too long for an outpost :v:) even though I don't think it's possible to get the support beams to not look off center. This is the best I could come up with to keep the smoke out.
Now I just need stuff to put inside it, as it's feeling kinda empty right now.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Well, me and my friend finished the Plains boss and celebrated with a trip to the edge of the world so we're happy to call this content complete for now. Took us about two weeks living and breathing the game whenever we weren't at work or asleep.

Absolutely sublime from start to finish and I hope the final product is as exceptional as the early access version was. God drat. Game of 2021 to beat for sure.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Lima posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm6CCU_bzgw

Crazy boar breeding contraption.

Video mentions a spoiler of how to get chitin.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED REGULATION! :bahgawd:

He should just have one end of the catchment pen feed onto sharpened stakes to complete the process

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 28, 2021

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
This game's got a sick sense of humor.

My initial island had *exactly* 12 cores worth of dungeons on the starter island, and a long oceanic trip to find the elder. One of my steam friends made fun of me for it, since he had enough dungeons to kickstart his portals and metal industry, and a very close elder spawn too.

Now the situation is reversed, since I had a very large swamp biome next to where I already had a portal for the Elder, so I'm up to my eyes in Iron and am ready to take on Bonemass once I get all my fermenting done, and he's spent 3 days raiding coastlines looking for crypts. Sucks to suck, I guess.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

THIS IS WHY WE NEED REGULATION! :bahgawd:

He should just have one end of the catchment pen feed onto sharpened stakes to complete the process

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a boar ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Post-Elder spoilers, maybe?

I'm being watched! :stonk: I thought I saw something at the edge of a black forest I was exploring, but I wasn't sure if it was real or if I imagined it. Then he showed up near my base, clear as day; nearly gave he a heart attack! Who is he, what does he want, is this about to turn into some survival horror poo poo?!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Post-Elder spoilers, maybe?

I'm being watched! :stonk: I thought I saw something at the edge of a black forest I was exploring, but I wasn't sure if it was real or if I imagined it. Then he showed up near my base, clear as day; nearly gave he a heart attack! Who is he, what does he want, is this about to turn into some survival horror poo poo?!

Odin. He likes to watch. Don’t kink shame.

Also he can show up at any time. I saw him on like my first day and was like hey that’s probably Odin.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Deki posted:

This game's got a sick sense of humor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

^^^ Looks like harpoon time to me

Also the Bonemass sure is a dick. Our whole party of like 8 people went to go try and fight him tonight, and he repeatedly killed most of us while we never got him below 30% health. Anyone have tips on fighting that guy?

Possible mistakes we made were:
  • Bringing along 3-4 people with only arrows rather than maces, and who's supply of frost/flame arrows ran out like halfway through the fight. Bosses scale with number of people present, correct?
  • Running in troll hides and shields rather than in proper armor, which normally works great but does not work at all when oozes and Draugrs are teleporting all over the place due to what I gather is pretty terrible netcode.
  • Not having enough poison resist potions; we thought we had plenty but the fight dragged on for far longer than we expected.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

^^^ Looks like harpoon time to me

Also the Bonemass sure is a dick. Our whole party of like 8 people went to go try and fight him tonight, and he repeatedly killed most of us while we never got him below 30% health. Anyone have tips on fighting that guy?

• Bringing along 3-4 people with only arrows rather than maces, and who's supply of frost/flame arrows ran out like halfway through the fight. Bosses scale with number of people present, correct?
  • Running in troll hides and shields rather than in proper armor, which normally works great but does not work at all when oozes and Draugrs are teleporting all over the place due to what I gather is pretty terrible netcode.
  • Not having enough poison resist potions; we thought we had plenty but the fight dragged on for far longer than we expected.

Anyone at the front needs maxed bronze armor at a minimum, iron would be better. Have a couple people with high block skill and good shields with maces rotating in and out of the poison cloud as health allows, the rest using frost arrows (flame is not great against him). Anyone using arrows should have no trouble avoiding damage, just take some healing and stamina potions in case of emergency. The good news is that if you have poison resist he's not particularly deadly, if you're not doing enough damage it's pretty easy to just run away and regroup. Iron maces are way better than bronze although they are extremely expensive to upgrade, but having one or two will make a big difference. Two people in my group did him with just frost arrows, later I went back with iron armor and an iron mace and was able to solo him pretty easily to get his drop (he will scale with # of players though).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it me or does it feel not worth upgrading your items at all, at least in the context of the material costs? Considering that a maxed out item is only equivalent to a base level of the next tier, it feels like you're better off toughing it out.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

toasterwarrior posted:

Is it me or does it feel not worth upgrading your items at all, at least in the context of the material costs? Considering that a maxed out item is only equivalent to a base level of the next tier, it feels like you're better off toughing it out.

Maxed troll armor is way less annoying than getting bronze. Other than that probably.

Shields notwithstanding, upgrade the shields, they're cheap and great

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, troll armor is probably what I would invest upgrades for since the material is easy to get compared to the sheer amount of bronze you'd need. Everything else is like, an expedition into very dangerous territory and moving the material en masse needs a road and a cart most likely

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Found an intact stone tower on the cost of a tiny patch of black forest surrounded by swamp with a lot of crypts. There's even a handy docking boulder :v:

I hope Odin doesn't mind squatters!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
250 hours in this game and I finally found out that even just an unupgraded bronze buckler is enough to parry trolls. The unarmed ones, at least. And with them being weak to piercing damage, a buckler and bronze spear just fucks them the gently caress up.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Bronze shields are amazing.

Someone please mod in a leash and rope for tamed animals so that I can tie carts to my pigs/wolves/lox.

Also here is a dev post about networking (maybe a good addition to the OP?)

the panacea fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 28, 2021

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

PittTheElder posted:

Going after him with 8 was murder for us. We couldn't get his HP down, and the game was struggling to keep us all in sync (it took almost a minute for him to even spawn for some people, whilst others were shouting to "do something!").
We split into 2x fours instead and did it back to back and it went completely smoothly.

We were significantly overgeared though, because we don't like pushing bosses too often as it raises the world difficulty for everyone and we have a contigent who are just farming and building.
Each team was more or less 2x Iron Maces, 2x Iron Mauls, everyone in Iron Armor with Poison Potions. Maulers went after the adds, whilst the Macers just focused on slamming Bonemass.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Last night I spent two hours sailing to finally circumnavigate my starting island and then I circumnavigated the shoreline of another island my buddies and I made our first landfall on after we got our first raft (but we didn’t go back to for reasons).

Turns put that very first island seems amazing. It is very thin but extremely long and looks like Argentina in shape. It has no less than six biomes including meadows, black forest, plains, swamp, mountain, and mist, and to top it all off it has a/the merchant right at a river inlet.

I cut across the inlet as I wanted to log off back “home” but this island expands nearly all the way to the south pole of the map already. I may venture to the extreme next time....

I need to build a portal to the merchant stat.

Now I can finally go fishing:haw:!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Got the Draugr bow, and while the base model looks cool, the glow is annoying as gently caress. Wish I could get rid of it.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Early forays into the mountain are punishing. Now I know that you can't fight wolves anywhere, you have to carefully kite them to somewhere where your swings will actually hit them.

Corpse runs back are loving miserable. I'm so happy I got a portal up, I'm going to need a full set of a food, cold potion and probably eikthyr just to be able to get up the loving mountain in the first place, then hopefully make it to my body.

An area that requires and item/potion to survive combined with naked corpse runs is rough.

E: I really need to stop pulling up to land in my long boat. I'm getting tired of having to deconstruct it because its stuck yet again.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 28, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can make a little hut in the mountains too

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Saxophone posted:

So I learned a thing last night.

As far as events and raids go, they are tied to the WORLD'S boss progression, not your character's. I'm not a big fan of a troll showing up and wrecking my poo poo, so I'm going to create a new world to build my base and explore and stuff in, and then use a separate world (probably one of the ones with close bosses) to actually fight the bosses.

So yeah if you want to just build in relative peace without constant threat of raids, that's a thing you can do.

You could also turn on "Creative mode" with debugmode and just build to your hearts content, but maybe I don't know your pain you're trying to avoid yet. Only get weakass treegoblin raids, which are more of a nuisance than a threat. Plus now my new fence with stakes-gaps has them funneling their own suicides towards us.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Okay, Devs.

Either make roof tiles not bullshit to walk on, or nerf fall damage. I'm tired of losing skills while trying to build my house.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the wildlife on the edge of the meadow keeps getting brutally murdered by the deathsquitos

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Clitch posted:

Okay, Devs.

Either make roof tiles not bullshit to walk on, or nerf fall damage. I'm tired of losing skills while trying to build my house.

Putting temporary floor segments on the outside edges helps a lot

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

mistermojo posted:

the wildlife on the edge of the meadow keeps getting brutally murdered by the deathsquitos

my plains base is surrounded by a constant cycle of murder

i haven't had to chop trees in days because i just go out and collect all the exploded greydwarf materials and stack the wood in my base

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 28, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's a big swamp/plains border near me and it's amusing watching the forever war between the mosquitos/fulings and the swamp denizens

Handy for bloodbag collecting

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

Putting temporary floor segments on the outside edges helps a lot

Ladders too.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Clitch posted:

Okay, Devs.

I build scaffolding with ladders and floors and this is the way to go for sure.

You can build ladders into the roof segments and just walk right up.

Ladders are really helpful when you can’t get a good snap angle.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Speaking of funky roof things, do the corner roof pieces not count as a roof? When I stand in the corners of the only base where I used them it says I'm exposed

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Our last boss altar is in the middle of the water a short swim away from the coast. This is not…ideal.

A water boss you fight in boats would be dope as hell though if not extremely frustrating

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ChristsDickWorship posted:

Speaking of funky roof things, do the corner roof pieces not count as a roof? When I stand in the corners of the only base where I used them it says I'm exposed

They do but I've found it's buggy.
Depending on the orientation, corner pieces can have two positions that looks correct but only one counts as cover. Put a vertical beam in the corner to alleviate this a bit.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So moats are a good investment

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

deathsquito vs bad ventilation:

https://i.imgur.com/gaQ207b.mp4

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CRAYON posted:

my plains base is surrounded by a constant cycle of murder

i haven't had to chop trees in days because i just go out and collect all the exploded greydwarf materials and stack the wood in my base

Do you all use pits and spikes or what?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

mastershakeman posted:

Do you all use pits and spikes or what?

I just use the regular wooden defense walls plus ladders and the terrain to make it easy to move around my base when I need to defend. My plains base is in a pretty unique location, it's a really small area surrounded by meadows and a piece of black forest. So the wilderness creatures and greydwarves take most of the assault. Here is a little plains base tour:

https://i.imgur.com/3JLZHAD.mp4

I still get attacked fairly often but I'm assuming not as much as if I had built in the center of the plains.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I've played for over 50 hours but have done hardly anything except build a sprawling estate with a house and grounds for all the crafting and most the storage, a honey farm and small garden, and now this house with just a beautiful view with big windows looking over the river. I put enough beds in for the four people I play with. I've not done much else but kill the 1st boss and figure out the navigation system. However, my raft disappeared twice. One of my friends has a viking long boat, so can't wait to log into his server again and go for a sail.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

IMO armor upgrades should also slowly get rid of the movement penalty and give significantly more durability per a level to make it worth it. The movement penalty doesn't make much sense in the current state of the game anyway because there are not alternative sets to use so there isn't any kind of choice being presented, just you go slower once you hit iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Any small hints at when you unlock more of the stone based building materials? My group just killed the second boss, but have not progressed to what seems to be the next logical biome yet. Having tons of fun building, but if stone buildings are coming soon I’ll chill for a bit so I can do that.