Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AccountSupervisor posted:

That would literally defeat the entire purpose of bronze being more valuable and useful a resource than copper and tin alone, both in game and IRL.

Bronze is expensive because it's 88% copper, not because you waste 2/3 of the materials making it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://youtu.be/z2kc570KwUs

Add some swedish

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Toss the whole Amon Amarth discography in there too

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, the treevp is real

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nordick posted:

People keep saying this, but I feel like the distance needed is longer than this, or the system is more complex. We had a trash pit in my co-op group's first base, which was a few meters outside of any workbench radius, and stuff in there just wouldn't despawn.

I bury everything at sea

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Is there actually a Grim Reaper in this or is it just people seeing Odin?

Odin cosplaying as the Grim Reaper

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My game there were 2 Eik spawns drat near in visual distance of the standing stones, and one more not much further out

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

toasterwarrior posted:

Is it me or does it feel not worth upgrading your items at all, at least in the context of the material costs? Considering that a maxed out item is only equivalent to a base level of the next tier, it feels like you're better off toughing it out.

Maxed troll armor is way less annoying than getting bronze. Other than that probably.

Shields notwithstanding, upgrade the shields, they're cheap and great

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's a big swamp/plains border near me and it's amusing watching the forever war between the mosquitos/fulings and the swamp denizens

Handy for bloodbag collecting

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

did the longboats always have a ladder on both sides?

Big boat has them on both sides, the karve only on one

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

toasterwarrior posted:

Kinda, but special attacks can and will occur in any base. Had a pack of trolls show up in our spawn base one time.

I had a swarm of drakes attack my meadows base, but in reality that was just free trophy delivery

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dialhforhero posted:

I played the beta and it is almost exactly the same actually.

Eh, eqnext was all voxels, you had a lot more building options

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The second boss is a real bro later in the game, plant a ton of trees around his spawner, summon him in, and let him do all the forestry for you

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just keep the boat loaded with enough stone and wood to make a small house, palisade, hearth, and portal

Takes a couple of minutes after landing to have a safe spot up, and just by nature of the game design nothing is going to mess with it when people aren't around, so it's pretty painless

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's a monster spawner

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taffer posted:

The purpose is to make you cautious about venturing into danger, and punish you when you overextend. The point of this is to give a feeling of accomplishment when you conquer a new area. This game in general makes you work a lot harder for all your accomplishments, and punishes you fairly harshly when you fail, and that's what makes it feel so good when you do something.

The stat loss is already brutal enough

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taffer posted:

Technically possible but it would be really slow. You'd have to dig down 3m in pretty much a 200m Sq area to have a good chance of finding any. Hope you like repairing pickaxes.

You can technically get lucky and find a surface vein, but yeah, it seems like it'd be awful to try to do without the boss stuff

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CRAYON posted:

I dont think I've rolled on purpose since I crafted the bronze buckler. Very much agree the button combo feels super awkward.

I only manage to roll when I'm on the edge of a cliff or other equally awkward situation

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You only need those open to get into the server browser, mine works fine as a direct connection with just the valheim ports

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Is there a key/trick or something that lets you just build a floor piece directly in front of you that snaps to the one you're on? Attempting to build poo poo like docks where you're building straight out if there isn't a support there is frustrating as gently caress.

As the rest of the responses have said, not without doing stupid poo poo.

I hope they add options like other building games have and put in a hotkey that will just let you rotate between every valid snap point in front of you

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

Do tamed animals produce others of the same quality?

i've seen herds of 2 star wolves, so I'd assume so

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

I can sort of see bothering then if you got two star pigs consistently, I squatted at one and it started very, very slowly filling up a meter so i just said gently caress that and left.

It's best to just wall them in someplace (this applies to everything tamable) and make a platform above to toss food in. they'll sit there and eat while you go do other things

e: not that I really advocate taming anything, they're all pretty useless, and if you're even semi competent with the bow any trip through the meadows will yield tons of meat

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saxophone posted:

Anyway, how many iron does it take before I can get my hands on stone and how sequence breaking would it be to get the thing that lets me build stone structures? Because I want stone in my new base, but I haven't killed the person that nets me a swamp key just yet.

The stone bench takes 2 iron I think. You can technically find iron underground in the swamps but its pretty rare

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saxophone posted:

It's surprisingly accessible to where I'm going to be setting up my new base. My biggest problem is once he's gone, troll raids can spring up and I'm not ready for those and will be cranky if they wreck my hard work, haha.

I've encountered exactly one troll raid

Raids in general seem pretty overblown, you seem to get one each time you do something new with a tier then never again.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saxophone posted:

Ooo, noted.

So looking at the description of the stonecutter, do I need one near every single workbench that I plan on building stone structures within the radius of?

Not that I can't just disassemble it and reassemble it as needed, but just checking.

Note that you just need the stone bench to craft stone. Just need the workshop to craft the bench, so one workshop in the middle then you can move the stone bench anywhere in the workshops radius and build stone anywhere in the stone bench's radius. They don't have to overlap unless you're doing a mix of stone and not stone

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pham Nuwen posted:

Honey is absolutely easy mode. I had 4 hives before we had any bronze, so I was just munching honey all the time. Doesn't seem to last very long, though.

I'm up to 18 hives, it's great

It's shocking how fast you go through it if you're making mead for an 8 person server tho

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Echophonic posted:

They're used for plains-tier foods and the medium healing mead.

and the oozes make sweet* poison bombs

*not that sweet

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
what, no paved road?

And as for your favorite plains menace, they will wander into your base from wherever they spawn, they roam alot, so workshops etc only help somewhat. But they rapidly go from a re-enactment of "Them!" to a minor irritation then swing back around to handy to have around for arrows and other things.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're marginally better for cart pulling, crippled by the fact you have to build workshops and stone benches every 10 goddamn feet to make them

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deki posted:

Maybe I'll just try to find them in that specific mountain.

I found 3 almost in visual range of the summoning platform, they're pretty common

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inzombiac posted:

Can someone confirm that saplings in the wild will grow in to trees?

I haven't planted any trees myself and I don't want my surrounding area to be barren, so I've avoided cutting the little guys down.

I'm not sure I've seen any trees grow that I didn't plant myself

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If they grow they grow so slowly as to be useless. The saplings I plant become full trees in like two days

I've de-forested half the drat map to make coal for smelting for the 8 of us

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

genericnick posted:

Is there something obvious I'm missing with the fermentor? I suppose I need to get into farming before it becomes useful?

I don't think you need farmed stuff for mead. My guess is you haven't reenacted Nic Cages role in the Wicker Man yet

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I decided to just eat the iron cost and buried workshops and stonecutters under my floors across my whole base. I might dig them up and add a forge to each location too since some of the furniture needs it.

I don't know why they made building so irritating

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LegoMan posted:

I tried to build a Panama Canal, but there appears to be a minimum height as you move inland so I only made it about 1/3 across the island. I'll probably just create ports on each side and a nice path for carts to ferry stuff from one side to another.

You can only adjust the terrain by 4 wall heights iirc

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scoss posted:

Do silver veins obey any kind of rules about where they can spawn? We scouted out the perimeter of our mountain biome and it seems like they only ever appeared in higher elevation areas with lots of big rock formations, never down in the flatter valley areas or along the zone edge.

I never found any below the first level where it flattened out some. Often under large rocks

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

causticBeet posted:

How painful are the sea serpents in a karve?

If you're being chased just turn into the strong wind and they're pretty easy to dodge as they attack if you're alone or worried about dps.

Really just need to be able to get to land

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

toasterwarrior posted:

Just make sure to do it in shallow waters

Or at the very least someplace you can make a diving platform to get stuff that goes a little too deep

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I use a dagger because it's very satisfying backstabbing fools for 991 damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

125% health regen and 140% stamina regen difference between your high point and low point and fighting hordes of enemies at night can quickly turn into a war of attrition as it takes longer and longer to get the stamina to swing back.

Alternately just never go outside at night :eng101:

I've decided bows are just the way to be. I get great amounts of amusement just standing on a rock in the middle of the plains at night and mowing down the 5 packs of roaming dudes. As an added bonus the way bodies decompose in this game it looks like I'm firing explosive arrows at them or something.

I'm up to 87 bow skill and it's just broken as all hell