Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's v. important it is to maintain a base with comfort items. They aren't just cosmetic: they actually increase how long you remain rested. Our main room is up to Comfort 17, which keeps us rested for 24 minutes at a time.

Can you elaborate on how to raise this? Mine seems to be capped at 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

VietCampo posted:

Do those small islands out in the oceans hold anything of value?

I found some minable barnacles on one of them. Not sure what they do.

E:

Seems like monsters don't really "exist" where players are not present. We've built multiple bases and none of them have been obviously attacked while we were out. This includes one near the mountains with a gate just sitting out there in the open.

Probably a good way to handle it.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 12, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

because I got the loot or the killing blow?

Loot is 100% sharable and things are unlocked by picking up items.

So drop the loot, have your wife pick it up, whatever it is, and she will unlock everything you do.

As for resources, most of them become renewable or location-specific. Flint and tin are the two you kind of just have to wander around looking for. You'll eventually be able to plant trees and fell them, and find big ore deposits as you explore.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I woke up a kraken today and it was one of the biggest oh poo poo moments I've ever had in a video game.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So if I want to run a dedicated server can I move my locally saved world onto a new pc then run that saved world as the server?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

It will only show your last death marker though, so just to be sure always mark your original marker with your good poo poo on it

This. Every time you die, the very first thing you should always do is mark your body on the map. Pretty much the only way you can gently caress up in this game is to lose your body location.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

Oh yeah if anyone is gonna use that, Google the map first because it's not due south a d going due south got me eaten by wolves lol

I tried googling it and maybe didn't get the right name? Can you link it here? I'm interested because I have mapped about half of my main server and never have found that merchant.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

How often to the dungeons/burial mounds reset?

I don't think they do. We cleared a burial crypt like 80 game days ago and it's still empty.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Scoss posted:

How much will random enemies attack your base if left to their own devices? I've caught random greylings occasionally beating up a work bench but I don't know how far they would go.

Do enemies try to break your poo poo if you're offline/far away or does the area not get simulated or whatever if there aren't any players actively in that region?

Am I going to regret trying to set up a forward base in the middle of the Black Forest?

Afaik the game does not spawn monsters where a player is not present. We have bases all over and have never encountered damage while we're away.

The game spawns greydwarves at night in the black forest if a player is there. But it also does so in meadows as well, where no similar mobs are present during the day.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I have a designated trash hole outside base where all the dwarf eyes and unneeded trophies go. Out of sight out of mind.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

SquirrelGrip posted:

Cool, our dedicated server dropped everything from our world - can see what we have explored but all buildings are gone

That sucks man. I've started making periodic backups of our world to avoid this.

:(

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Starks posted:

I killed the second boss. What now? I found a swamp but it's very far away. Should I try to build a forward base there, or will it be too hostile? How do I keep it from getting destroyed basically.

I would not build in the swamp. Try to find an adjacent forest biome with easy access to the swamp. Much less hostile IMO.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

How long does taming a wolf take? I managed to trap a couple of 1-star wolves during the night, and have been tossing in raw meat for the last 10 minutes. Little hearts are popping out of them, which I guess means they are being tamed?
Also, how do I know when they are tamed?

There will be a % listed next to them as they get acclimated. Stay away from them after you feed them and make sure there isn't a torch or light source near them because they don't like fire and that can cause them to be perpetually "frightened".

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Anyway, has anyone tamed a boar? We're trying our hardest but they keep getting spooked!

Yes. I use the half wooden walls for my pens so I can easily throw food to them. Throw a stack of food in there (make the pen small when you're taming, like 2x1 full size wood floor tiles small) and then go do other things. Keep torches and fires away from them and let them acclimate "off screen".

Also, if you introduce a 1 star boar to your pen, you can gradually cull the 0 star boars and end up with all 1 stars. (a 1 star and a 0 star will have some 1 star piglets)

Make the pens larger as your herd gets bigger. It's not the most bountiful/high yield activity in the game but I enjoy it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Don't think I've ever seen a 2 star boar. Did you find it in the meadows biome?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

So I just tried it again and I guess throwing a stack of carrots in works in that the boars will just take 1 each? I could have sworn it didn't work this way when I first tried it

I think I had the exact same experience. It does work now.

I think it's dumb the pigs won't eat yellow mushrooms or honey though.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

I’ve seen folks asking about hosting servers in a few places and figured I’d share something I typed up for another group of folks here should it be of any usage. Friends don’t let friends pay a premium for hosted servers.

How long does this free trial last?

And thanks for this post.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yes.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone confirm if running a dedicated server improves latency or performance compared to having one of the players host it? I have been hosting a game world for a couple of my friends and the game does lag pretty severely every few minutes when the game World saves.

Trying to determine if there will be performance benefit along with the world continuity and availability.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Polish posted:

Came back to my base to this..

No trees in the close vicinity, so I guess it grew?

Also, I planted 70 carrot seeds and only got 23 carrots.. is this normal?

Did all of them display as "healthy" a few moments after you planted them? If you plant them too close to one another or objects (trees, rocks, etc) they will turn unhealthy / brown and die out.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

Question: my friends are currently playing on one dude's server but is it possible to take his world file and have it uploaded to a VM 95 whatever?

This is my exact question too. Would like to set up a server but not lose our world progress.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone who has successfully set up their own server and would be willing to guide me through the last couple steps via discord hit me up via PMs? I have the server created I'm just stuck on the customization part.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
How can I keep mobs from destroying my longship? I have a cove I park my boats in since I don't want to build a giant boathouse. It's a meadow so the only things there are greydwarves and necks.

Is there something I can do to keep them away? It's really annoying especially when the game doesn't refund you the mats for the ship.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Lib and let die posted:

idk if it's a consequence of me hackifying my own installation together, but i also had to overwrite common.cfg with _default.cfg before I had a full config file to edit.

had a little trouble getting another goon's world save uploaded to the instance, but I had him add my public key to it and I was able to sftp them up there for him, but would be nice if I could get him connected via winscp or powershell sftp with the public key, unfortunately i'm a bit lacking in the identity management department.

i think i'll build a cronjob and have him create a folder on his google drive that i'll mount with ocamlfuse and just back up the world files to weekly.

Shout out to the quoted poster for putting in some serious work to get our server up and running. Guiding me through that poo poo must have been a real chore but he did it with a smile. Cheers!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So is it possible to park your boat in shallow waters and have the rising tides smash it against something and destroy it?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Can someone help me with a terraforming question? If you're like me you've often taken one too many swings at a deposit and ended up marring a nice smooth slope surface. I would like to know if it's possible to restore the slope.

See below image. How do I make these flat jagged areas go away and return the slope to its original look, which you can see for reference to the right?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
We played a session tonight and it was absolutely horrible. Terrible lag, disappearing items, mobs stuck in geometry invulnerable but still able to shoot arrows at us, and even a portal that just straight up vanished right after one of my friends used it to teleport halfway across the world, separating us and preventing us from doing an iron raid (we used our last core to make the portal). Also, mobs that usually don't aggro due to distance from our base were suddenly beelining into it, wreaking havoc on everyone and killing our whole 2 star boar stock (death squitos from a somewhat distant plains biome just decided to spawn in our base. Then after all that, we get a "ground shaking" event and 5 trolls spawn. They don't even aggro us, they start destroying our main hall. It was funny buy also extremely unfun now that all our work to build a base is pretty much hosed. We don't want to dig a 30 foot moat with sheer, right angle walls that looks like early 90s artwork.

It was bad enough that I think 2 of my group may quit the game. We've never had any issues like this before. What a trainwreck of a night.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Do tamed wolves follow you through portals, or can they go with you on boats?

Just curious as to how mobile they will be once I finally tame this pair.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to transport tamed wolves? I.E. through portals or on ships?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do like how modders have already come up with nice common sense improvements, such as crafting tables pulling resources from nearby chests, crafting tables radius improving with level of the table, automatically replanting crops you harvest and this nice looking one that adds a equipped inventory that would fix my annoyance at a ever-shrinking inventory as you get more stuff to wear.

Are these mods easy to install and run? Do they require the server to have them running or are they client side? A little info on these would be really great.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Jesus christ the third boss is just miserable to fight, the first one is alright, the second one is boring, the third is just actively miserable and took far too long to just beat the drat thing to death after turning on god mode.

If you're only posting in this thread to complain about the game, maybe just stop playing?

I 100% do not regret using some of my early iron to get the iron sword. I am just a huge fan of the sword move set and being able to confidently let deathsquitos charge me, knowing I can almost always slash them before they hit me is a great feeling.

genericnick posted:

Can you take over a troll cave?

You can't build inside the instance unfortunately, but you can dig under it and use it as a partial roof, as a buddy of mine did. He made a narrow, two story stone house under one and it's pretty awesome.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 2, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
What is the best way / gear needed to kill lox? I accidentally ran into one on my first trip to the plains and it 1 shotted me, so I've been scared to try again lol

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So someone posted above that crops mature even if you aren't nearby. Could we maybe get a list of things that do/don't "progress" when you're away?

Things that do not progress while you are away:

- Taming animals - tested this on both boars and wolves, no progress while I was away

Things that do progress while you are away:

- Fermenting
- Charcoal kiln and smelter

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Det_no posted:

That can't be right. Did you leave them food while you were gone?

Yeah, stacks of turnips for the boars and plenty of meat for the wolves. And I made sure they had enough space as well.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm debating whether or not to kill Bonemass on my group's "main" server or get people together to kill him on a mirror server. My friends are mostly casual builder types and I'm concerned killing Bonemass will ramp up the difficulty and dissuade them from Viking legos.

Is the increase in difficulty noticeable after Bonemass? Do wolves and ice drakes attack your base after he's been defeated?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Also, I killed bone mass on another server and hung his head on this one. Finally got a raid - was still the swamp creatures. Good to know

This def makes me want to kill him on another server rather than our group's "home" server.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

I was still getting "The ground shakes" after killing the 4th boss

I have not gotten "the forest is moving" since we killed the Elder

I think the Troll attack may persist but everything I've seen seems to indicate that when you kill a boss, the raids go up a tier, with the troll ones always being a possibility.

I expect that if you kill Bonemass and play on that server, you no longer get "A Smell from the Swamp" anymore.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Only thing I'm disappointed in is how poorly the game runs on my system. It's impossible to upgrade gpus right now (I have a 1060) so I'm basically stuck at 45 fps as my max, which is too bad because the game has such a great look.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

sushibandit posted:

I've tried most of the tips shared on reddit and they have noticeably helped. There's also a performance-boosting mod for bepinex that I haven't tried yet.
Running a 1070 currently, generally able to hit 90-100 outside of bases and right around 60 in bases with view range set to max and everything else at low/med. Was capping out at 80ish before.

Would you mind sharing which tweaks have worked for you? I put my settings at mid/low and it did bump up to around 50-55 which is an improvement but not quite what I'm wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

What is it that murders my longboats? That's the second time I leave one in, what I thought was a decently save harbor only to return to a lonely cargo unit floating in the sea?

In my case it was greydwarves spawning and making a beeline to it and hitting it while I farted around somewhat nearby.

I've noticed that the whole "place a workbench at X will prevent spawning" is also not true. I've plastered my base in workbenches and have personally witnessed shamans and such materialize right in front of me, within the radius of a bench.

I think the rules of spawning change at night.