Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So I finally found a swamp dungeon and holy poo poo so much iron. I popped a portal on top of it and fenced it in, then built a smelter on site so I could start processing the iron right away.

Then my dumb rear end realized bars are also blocked from teleporting. Now I have to decide if I'm ferrying all this stuff home or building a second base (and getting enough copper and bronze for a new forge). I'm thinking new base, especially since my first one is a godawful half open hodgepodge house with no aesthetic value whatsoever.

Remember that weapons and tools are not blocked from teleporting, with nails also being included. Depending on the size of the swamp and sheer amount of iron you have a couple options for how invested you want to be. You will need to source some bronze for at least two levels of forge, however.

Me and my friend built a forward base at the edge of a neighbouring black forest and lived in the swamp for a couple of days cleaning out all the crypts we could find; we made all our iron stuff on site, and our current plan is to make a longship at a nearby ocean edge and sail 100-200+ ingots back to our base that way. You may not want to do all that but we found we didn't really want to live near a swamp because the enemy spawns are annoying and all our infrastructure is back in our meadows camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Fishstick posted:

This may be a dumb question: how the gently caress do you survive the swamp? Draugr and leeches and crypts are no problem but those goddamn Oozes and their poison wreck my poo poo every time.

Poison resistance meads will lower poison damage to extremely small levels that's mostly covered by food regen.

You really, really want to have a poison resistance buff running all the time whenever you're doing anything in the swamp.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

mkvltra posted:

This makes it sound super anti-climactic!

Mega-spoilers:

Did anyone else have a special respawn effect after sailing off the world? When my buddy and I respawned back at base, there were a LOT of sparkly glowy particles floating around us for more than a few seconds. These particle effects got more and more intense as we got closer to the edge of the map, and persisted through death- I thought this was a very, very cool detail. The far North and deep South each have their own unique biomes that appear in every seed. Sailing East or West to the edge of the map will be a markedly different journey than sailing North or South.

In response to a few comments about how this is a 'flavor of the week' survival game: yes, it totally is, but I think the popularity and praise is warranted. The game is less than 1GB, I don't know a lot about Computer Stuff but there's gotta be some sophisticated technical voodoo going on to cram a game like this into such a tight package. Very rarely does a game come out with a mood, atmosphere, and aesthetic quality this consistent: the visuals are detailed enough to provide a sense of dramatic realism, and the game's assets are stylized just enough to give the world a unique personality while balancing technical constraints. It's 'realistic', but not to the point where it would turn away a 'casual' gamer. This product balances mass-appeal without sacrificing artistic or technical integrity- and that's a rare accomplishment! With that being said, there's still room for criticism: it's utterly incomplete.

My buddy and I beat Yagluth the other night and we are very excited to see how this game evolves. Probably going to take a break from it until the next big content update. Based on the roadmap, I think we should be able to expect full-implementation of The Mistlands?

They have said the final incarnation of the game will have nine biomes, with nine bosses. Right now we have five and five, with three Mistlands, Ashlands, Deep North existing but without content, so there's plenty of room for expansion.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Gosh but everything about the Plains is fantastic, views are great, music is exceptional, enemies are threatening, it feels absolutely inspired that the (current) final endgame area looks so open and peaceful like the very first area you landed in all those hours ago but is conversely vicious and challenging.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Well, me and my friend finished the Plains boss and celebrated with a trip to the edge of the world so we're happy to call this content complete for now. Took us about two weeks living and breathing the game whenever we weren't at work or asleep.

Absolutely sublime from start to finish and I hope the final product is as exceptional as the early access version was. God drat. Game of 2021 to beat for sure.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

People posted:

Bosses 3 and 5 chat

I completed this stuff with a buddy and both of these bosses are exercises in "did you remember meads". If you walk into Bonemass expecting you'll spend 100% of the time poisoned and tailor your strategy around that, it won't be so bad. With resistance meads poison can't tick fast enough to outpace your natural regen and Bonemass melee boils down to swinging while he's spreading poison around and blocking when he's taking swipes at you. We split our attention with one person up front and one person on add clear (it was 2 oozes and 1 skeleton every time for us when he summoned more, which go down fast to maces) and it was long but never out of control.

Similarly we walked into Boss 5 unaware that his gimmick is DESTRUCTION RAINS FROM THE HEAVENS all fire damage all the time so having not pre-prepared the brand new mead you unlock in Plains our fully-upgraded characters were completely obliterated in about 15 seconds. Having gotten that mead for a second try it turns out nearly everything that boss does is hard countered by that in exactly the same way Bonemass' poison is hard countered by mead and he was mostly just a brick of hp. He doesn't even summon help, although you'll get some inquisitive deathsquitos if you're unlucky.

Pretty much every boss requires the appropriate resistance mead, and you want stamina and health meads to go along with it. From Bonemass onwards we didn't start a fight unless we had 20 minutes worth of mead coverage (2 resistance, 10 recovery each) and that kept us quite safe. Doing this solo would be very much the same, you just need to split your time between the boss itself and whatever adds have joined the party so each fight takes longer even with solo-levels of boss health.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Schwack posted:

Did you do boss 5 after the buff? Even with fully maxed padded armor, he's basically impossible for a solo player to melee. He turns too fast with his mouth laser, the area denial AOE ticks for a crazy amount even with the mead and the obvious death from above requires constant movement.

I think with even one more person it would be less of a frustrating experience. Having someone to come whack him while he's mouth lasering or casting the death from above would've made the fight a lot simpler. As it is, there are very few ways to counter his attacks as a solo player. I'm sure they'll get around to tuning it down the road.

I believe we did, it was 4-5 days ago.

With both of us up in his face he tended to use his other attacks instead of the mouth laser which seems more like a range-punish like the elder's vine attack, predominantly using his other two attacks. I can't comment on the AoE tick because, with both 80/80 foods and fish wraps it wasn't enough to affect our hp totals. Halfway through the fight we just started attacking and used health pots if we got below half and that was more than enough.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Azhais posted:

what, no paved road?

And as for your favorite plains menace, they will wander into your base from wherever they spawn, they roam alot, so workshops etc only help somewhat. But they rapidly go from a re-enactment of "Them!" to a minor irritation then swing back around to handy to have around for arrows and other things.

The physics engine that killed my character with a falling log in my first half hour of play came around full circle when I got divebombed by a couple deathsquitos immediately exiting my plains base portal, but who then flew off directly into the spinning blades of my windmill which have physics and do enough damage to kill deathsquitos.

I ended up not doing the next idea I had, but at that moment I had an image of clearing a swamp of like 600 iron just to make an entire wall of windmills surrounding my base and occasionally run the exterior to collect needles.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Deki posted:

I finally found a boss rune for the fourth boss, but it looks like it's gonna require a bit of work to get going.

I really don't get why >!dragon eggs!< can't be teleported.

The fourth boss is on a mountain entirely surrounded by enough non-meadows land that boating and carting them there would be a massive pain in the rear end. Maybe I'll just try to find them in that specific mountain.

How big's the mountain?

We stumbled into a boss altar in the mountains and a little bit of exploring found 4+ eggs on that same mountain. If the mountain's really small and there aren't eggs on site then you may need to exercise a little logistical wrangling but it's worth mentioning that there's more then one boss spawn; hiking some other mountains looking for an unmarked altar is also an option.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Grimes posted:

I was gifted a copy of Valheim and I'm on a server with some friends, but I just can't seem to get into it. I don't really enjoy building for the sake of building, so I'm hoping maybe the exploration and combat will win me over? V:unsmith:V

To be fair a lot of Valheim isn't just building for the sake of building but has legitimate gameplay bonuses. Normally things like chairs, rugs, furnature, etc. are all just fashion and glamour options but in Valheim they are critical for improving the stamina recharge bonus you get from being rested. A cool lodge doesn't just look good, it makes you a better Viking!

Still, there are lots of opportunities for cool exploration in Valheim at the moment if you'd rather other people make a base on the server. Go look for burial chambers in the black forest and find copper deposits for other people to mine. Find abandoned buildings with bee hives and bring the queen bees back, everyone will love you. Later on you might want to hop on a ship and look for good biomes to exploit, like swamps with a lot of crypts. Be the trailblazer finding the best spots for others to exploit!

The combat isn't terribly complex but serviceable. The parry system is pretty good and works on literally everything. Learn to parry a troll, amaze your friends!

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

LLSix posted:

How many bases do you usually build? My first couple of attempts at making a building were pretty ramshackle. I feel like I could do a lot better if I started over from scratch, but I've invested a lot of resources into my current base.

You can always rip up your existing base if you need to but honestly there's nothing wrong with just building elsewhere. Unless those resources are metal, everything else can be sourced a lot faster than you might think. Especially if you cart them through portals!

In my play through which cleared all content I made three major bases and two minor ones; of the major one the first, in the Meadows, was the "main" base where most of my development entered. I had two other major bases near a Swamp and in the Plains specifically to handle the production of the local metal. I found it easier to make some camps for handling metals on-site instead of trying to drag things across the world back home repeatedly. Silver was the only exception, because I entirely unintentionally set up my first base within running distance of a large mountain.

Other smaller bases were things like a FOB in the black forest where I prepared to cross the ocean to fight the Elder; I built out around a ruined tower on the coast, did some basic bronze production there, and used it far into the game as my quick source of core wood. I had small FOBs in other meadow biomes for fine wood and berries, and a resting spot on a mountain with a portal where I stored silver for later cart travel and vacated at night time.

The most important thing, I found, is to scout before making base decisions. My main base in the meadows was not my first base. Instead I explored the starting meadow biome until I found my perfect spot - open meadow, near the water, also near the black forest (but not too near to lure spawns). Similarly I scouted a few swamps until I found one with crypts, and that's the one I set down roots for. Same for the Plains; I wanted a big biome with lots of camps, and eyeballed a good spot from sailing.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

The more you use the cart the more indispensable it becomes.

First I used it for collecting more then a single player carry weight of wood and stone when I was building up my base; it was extremely critical for moving iron out of the swamp in one trip instead of, like, seven; and I don't even want to know how we would have gotten sufficient silver off a mountain if we couldn't cart it, because silver is stupid heavy.

Although for that last bit the group I was playing with did have a pretty funny moment that we only heard about later. One of our group was playing alone and emptying a silver vein when a stone golem picked a fight to quite disastrous results; turns out golem swipes can move a cart pretty far if it hits them, and anyone who has explored a mountain is aware that some slopes can be... quite steep. So a few people woke up to discover the message A GOLEM YEETED OUR SILVER OFF THE MOUNTAIN in our discord channel.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

So they've got uses depending on your situation. Granted if you're not building a monument to viking excess these situations are a lot less common than mine.

I mean if you're not building a monument to viking excess then what are you even doing here

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm interested in giving this a try, but I'm hesitant to look up too much information because I don't want to spoil any content.

Having said that, can I just start playing by myself and invite my friends along later to my island? Few of my friends are going to hold off before they play, but I want to jump right in. I know the game has a procedural generated map, but I am confused about how it works with multiplayer. Do we each get our own islands and they can come visit whenever they want? Do we all share the same island?

If you start first then you will be the one who has the world file on your computer. There's nothing wrong with starting first, and having other people join in. They will have their own character files, but will be joining your world. Any players who join your world for the first time spawn at the stone circle, and later on will rejoin wherever they log off.

There's two ways that multiplayer can work - while you can play Valheim solo when you are loading into the world you can click a little box to make a temporary server and have your friends join you; if they're on your steam friends list they will be able to see your world when you are playing and join you there. Because you host, when you stop playing everyone does. Their own characters, in terms of stats and what they are carrying, stay with them. If you're all going to play at the same time, or just want to try out co-op to see what it's like, this is a good starting point.

You can also set up a dedicated server that runs on your computer with the world file you specify. As long as the server is running, anyone who has the IP address for that server and a password you specify can log into that world and play, even if you yourself are not playing. Even if you're not there, your friends can log on and affect the world. If you're only going to have a few friends playing setting this up on your own computer is probably fine, depending on your hardware; my computer is a few years old but handled three people playing simultaneously no problem. This is how my group ended up playing through the content; setting it up required about 45 minutes of looking up one of the million tutorials for Valheim Dedicated Servers on google and then getting all the ports opened on my end. I'm dumb, though, and someone who has done this kind of thing before will be able to do it a lot faster.

If you think you'll have more people than that playing, you may want to look into renting a server for the game from a third party for a month or so. You would move your world file to that rented server, and everyone would connect to that instead. There's less setup involved that way, but obviously you spend a little bit of money.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I've got a wolf chest, I've got frost resistance mead active, yet when I portal to a mountain I'm freezing. How?

Is it raining on the other side of the portal? If you have the wet status it prevents frost resistance from activating.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

I played Valheim at launch with a friend for a solid 80 hours and had a blast. After dropping the game until Mistlands released we then started a brand new world right from scratch, played another 120 hours, and still had a blast! More of a blast, really. This is a hell of a game. Queen was a real meat grinder of an encounter that took us a solid 25 minutes.

On the whole I really liked the Mistlands for being probably the most meaty and complicated biome to progress through. I liked that there were multiple discrete steps to progression, as opposed to how earlier biomes were mostly just finding the resource du jour and then making use of it. By the time you've got refined eitr running you've already been in mistlands for a long, long time.

That does lead, however, to probably my second-biggest criticism of the biome because it means that magic is stuck right at the very end of the current game and that poo poo is way too much fun to put there. I would have loved to have some skeleton buddies to go with my icicle machine gun while I was actually exploring the biome instead of at the very end.

The biggest criticism is that there are too many Gjalls. I hear there were even more Gjalls at launch and I bet that was miserable as gently caress. Gjalls are terrifying the first time you fight them, tense and engaging the next few times, and incredibly boring from like #10 onwards. The only time I actually didn't want to play any more Valheim during this seed was a moment where I had to drop farming stuff at the base to kill a Gjall, went back to my farm, and immediately heard another Gjall off in the opposite direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

BrianRx posted:

Thanks everybody for the Mistlands tips above. Ive gotten the crafting benches and the extractor set up, so I think I at least have the biome's mechanics available. So far, the only place I've found the non-sap requirement for the extractor is in crates at Dverger sites. Is there a less murdery way to get it?

It's only from Dverger crates, unfortunately, however you aren't always required to murder a camp (yourself) to get them.

Dverger will get mad at you for breaking their poo poo but not for just picking up their poo poo if it's hanging around. If that crate gets broken by something else, you can then pick up the extractor without issue (as an additional aside, you can pick up all the free-standing lanterns that are often in these bases if you would like to use them for your own permanent light sources).

The "easiest" way to do this is to aggro a Gjall near an excavation that has the crate sitting out in the open, or a tower that has it on the roof, and try to get the Gjall to throw some fireballs in it's general direction. Obviously this can be finicky and involves some RNG (that a box is in the right place, that a Gjall is nearby at all, that it shoots fireballs at the right spot...) but early on when maybe you don't want to fight 10 dwarves for it, it's a better play. If the floor beneath a box breaks for any reason, that will also break the box, as expected.

I think my first extractor I got by "accidentally" luring in a 2-star seeker and a few of his friends to a Dverger tower and let them fight it out until only a couple seekers were left standing so that I could clean up. This is a more risky option that takes longer, but will thin out a crowd.