Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

LegionAreI posted:

Here lies Brunhilde, crushed by trees she was chopping down probably ten times.

Man I just can't eyeball the fall direction at all!

I was gonna make fun of all you people getting killed by falling trees because it honestly seems crazy, but then I was out chopping wood and a loving massive Troll snuck up behind me and 1-shot me with a tree-trunk club. I didn't even know there were Trolls in the game, it was the 1st time I'd encountered one.

So yea, I will now concede that wood choppin is more dangerous than I thought :downs:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Dreylad posted:

Our black forest copper mining operation ended up becoming our main stronghold as it turned out to be near a swamp and a decent sized mountain biome.

Normally an outpost for us is the material for portals and enough wood for a workbench and a log wall ring and door. That seems to hold up just fine to any greydwarf problems. A forward base we set up near a distant boss became a major keep because it was close to a bunch of plains biomes. Generally they start small and turn into major things depending on the need and proximity to various biomes.

I like to chuck a bunch of sharp stakes around the perimeter, because greydwarves will just suicide against them all day and you can just ignore them.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I'm out here building little shacks and lean to's, and these motherfuckers are building poo poo that looks straight out of Rivendell :sigh:

GruntyThrst posted:

The current thinking is that structures need to be at 100% health to give you a full refund.

I've definitely had instances where I've broken down crafting benches and a bunch of the mats never showed up, and then when I log back in they're sitting exactly where they should have dropped. I dunno if it's an issue with them getting stuck in/on building geometry or what, but it's worth trying before re-grinding whatever poo poo is missing.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 17, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Fishstick posted:

This game could really benefit from Terraria's chest proximity crafting

This would be so loving good

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Xerophyte posted:

Yes, we noticed the same. I assume it was an oversight that it worked to begin with.

I ran into this today too and tbh I wondered the same thing. Didn't see any mention in the patch notes though so :shrug:

e] Also I really wish they'd lower the spawn rates of greydwarves, they aren't challenging and don't really drop anything useful, so it's just a hassle constantly running into them in the forests.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Captain Mediocre posted:

Tame wolves. I go out with 4 wolves whenever I'm in the forests and they tear everything apart up to swamp-tier without me lifting a finger.

They also chase down deer and boar for you while you stare at your feet looking for mushrooms.

Interestingly they continue to breed and give birth out in the wild. My local area is slowly becoming filled with 'wild' tame wolves roaming the forests destroying the ecosystem and it rocks.

What the hell i've been playing for days and have literally never encountered a wolf. Building my own personal wolf army sounds like extremely my poo poo.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Inzombiac posted:

Holy poo poo the second video especially is useful.

I'm currently building on a hilly meadow because I want to many levels on purpose but this will be great for the arena.

I had a bird try to land in the spot under some spikes and it died. Not controllable but it is funny.
Every time I return home at least a couple deer have killed themselves in noble sacrifice to my land.

Hell yea, I got one with my pickaxe midair when it tried to land by me while I was mining

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Midgetskydiver posted:

I think I had the exact same experience. It does work now.

I think it's dumb the pigs won't eat yellow mushrooms or honey though.

Have you tried feeding them raw meat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xUynRdzzsM

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Jinnigan posted:

just to be clear all that danheim/wardruna neofolk stuff is like 90% modern sensibilities and a modern mythologization of what "viking" music would sound like

proper era-appropriate "viking" music sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAO7_GryWTM
jaunty, corny pentatonic sea-shanty sounds, much like most traditional folk music.

that "viking" neofolk do be slappin tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2qYPVNU2Q

Eldamar is the best atmospheric non-acoustic Valheim stuff I've found so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8oFR2qtJe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyfOpWFrfCA

Also

Azhais posted:

Toss the whole Amon Amarth discography in there too

Especially any of their songs about sailing (which may or may not be about dying in a storm :black101: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woiPB5tjvZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l36biSLcuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGWPMKURLjM

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Hell yea some of the Turisas songs were legit epic sounding. The crescendo of Land of Hope and Glory owned as well. Also Cursed Be Iron when you're doing some mining.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

SquirrelGrip posted:

We built a pool with a viewing platform and gate doors out to the ocean and dragged a serpent in with the harpoon. Viking SeaWorld is open folks.

Goddamn this and the car loving own , stuff like this needs to get put in the op

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Jusupov posted:

I mainly listened to Hulkoff for my playthrough, very appropriate for the theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbsc-3T6o4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih-gTGGBvkU

This owns and the comment that called them amon amarth + sabaton is the most accurate description of a band I've ever seen

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

BobTheJanitor posted:

Game has passed 4 million sold today, it's wild. It's been hitting another million sold about every 5 days so far. Wonder how long it can keep up this momentum.

Holy poo poo apparently they also hit 500k concurrent players which puts it in the top 5 most played games in Steam's history :stare:

Here's my lovely portal dragon to celebrate :toot:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 25, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Well the description for Draugr trophies is a line about sewing their mouths shut so they don't start talking at night which I thought was pretty and creepy and aweome. Never considered for a second they actually might though :aaaaa:

can someone explain to me, an idiot, what the point of this new "run valheim in Vulkan" option is?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Flavahbeast posted:

why does the deer head get to talk to you but if the draugr head talks it gets sewn up

Draugr is like your racist old uncle that won't shut up at dinner.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

SKULL.GIF posted:

You are Vikings. Be Viking. Not teleporterers. Sail forth, and reap the reward of the land.

I just built my first longboat and celebrated by sailing it out into the ocean in a raging thunderstorm at night, and it ruled :black101:

The way you can see the sheets of rain in storms is a really loving cool effect

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

CitizenKain posted:

I built a little outpost near the swamps as base, and every night its goddamn fight club outside the walls as druegar get into fights with grey dwarfs, boars and necks. Occasionally a slime joins in. Also a Grim Reaper was watching, wasn't aware I was putting on a show.

Is there actually a Grim Reaper in this or is it just people seeing Odin?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Eat The Rich posted:

Odin gave up an eye to see the future and the 'reaper' has one glowing eye. The reaper that shows up is a common depiction of Odin.

Quill posted:

The only "Reaper" in Norse mythology would be Hel, but the figure in game is male and doesn't look like her. Most likely it's just the All-father checking your progress.

Yea I know who Odin is and what he looks like in the game, I just meant are all the posters in the thread saying they've seen the Grim Reaper just seeing the Odin model and getting confused or did they actually put like a separate skeletal, scythe-havin no poo poo grim reaper in as well. I wasn't really expecting it but y'know, there's all kinds of cool poo poo snuck into this game :shrug:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Fruits of the sea posted:

Jumping into this game with some friends tonight for the first time. I like annoying them with dumb gimmicks in these games. I hear there are boars. Is it feasible to make a boar army? They don’t have to be useful I just want to fill their houses with pigs.

Yea you can tame them, you just gotta corral a couple by kiting them into a pen, then chuck in some food for them to eat. Building them a house and naming it Boarhalla is optional but recommended :toot:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Lima posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm6CCU_bzgw

Crazy boar breeding contraption.

Video mentions a spoiler of how to get chitin.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED REGULATION! :bahgawd:

He should just have one end of the catchment pen feed onto sharpened stakes to complete the process

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 28, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Peprpendicular is a right angle tho

Warbird posted:

I noticed that this evening. Upon observing a leech I believe my quote was, “that sum bitch is purple”. Quite pretty IMO. That said I understand what they’re going for with the rain. Might be nice if it was only like 90% of the time instead of 100.

I think the purple leeches are 1 or 2 star ones. same with purple greydwarves and the blue Necks

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
did the longboats always have a ladder on both sides?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

FrickenMoron posted:

Yes, and that's good.

Yea it was annoying as hell in the karve

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Vanadium posted:

I may be overthinking the fortification game for our hut in the meadows?

I think you maybe vastly overestimating the amount of Mongol invaders in this game :haw:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Ambaire posted:

That's absolutely a thing. Trees give ground-level structural support for anything attached to the trunk, so it's perfectly viable to plant some pines and bury them in walls for a base that's much taller than it has any right to be.

Yea just make sure the tree is loving well defended or it's gonna end badly

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Classic bird move

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
lol it's like viking age rebar

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I get real sick of the constant greydwarves when I'm trying to just chill and build poo poo, but at the same time there's nothing funnier to me than clubbing a greyling and launching it like 30m down a hill

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Floppychop posted:

I built a wall all the way around my base, only open spot was where the boat could enter the dock.

Turns out the fuckers can attack while swimming. If I'm not paying super close attention to be able to hear the quiet thwacks of them hitting the boat they will kill it over time. Karve I could do two gates and have a sort of gated dock. I don't know what to do to keep the longship safe.

it's easiest to just park them a little furthe from shore, stuff won't swim out to attack them and they don't get moved or damaged by storms anyway. As long as you can swim to it you're sweet.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Spanish Matlock posted:

Its all fun and games until they capsize and explode and all your poo poo's too deep to swim for

Huh, I never even knew boats could capsize in this, that's cool. Anyway that's how I've always parked mine and they've made it through plenty of bad storms and been fine :shrug:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Devs pls nerf wolf howls asap my WOLF PACK is doing me fookin head in

e] I just use stone wall for my pigs cos once they get broken out and wander off it seems basically impossible to get them back in. I have a bunch of 2 star tame boars roaming the nearby forest that I've been trying to lure back home, but they're too smart for me. So now my piggies are free-range I guess.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 5, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

OwlFancier posted:

Thistle and berries are very hit or miss, sometimes you find them sometimes you don't. Thistle at least glows at night so you can find it a bit easier in the forests. But we should be able to grow flowers anyway, for harvest and beautifaction.

Being able to plant glowing flowers around my base and paths and stuff would own so much

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Yea I've never had pigs revert, I still find them occassionally roaming the woods near an old base of mine

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

xzzy posted:

I attended the "bolt poo poo on to the original construction until it eventually implodes" school of architecture.

imo that ends up looking the coolest, it has some strange feeling of lived-in-ness or authenticity.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Broken Cog posted:

There are some dedicated folks on the subreddit

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Where can I find a mod to increase the map sight/reveal distance? I havent played in forever but I'm sure I used to have one, but I had a quick look on Nexus and couldn't see it.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Dope thanks everyone, think I'll try Pathfinder, the dynamic stuff sounds cool.

I also used to use an inventory one, I think probably "Equipment and Quick Slots"

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/92

Do people have other recommendations for inventory mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
goddamn that looks helpful