Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

What's all this then?

Valheim is the latest exploration and survival game on PC, set in a procedurally-generated purgatory inspired by Viking culture. Explore either Solo or with friends as you craft, build and survive your way through the world!

How does it play?

It's been described as a sort of cross between Minecraft, Ark and Dark Souls, with the bosses and creatures being fierce and scaling in difficulty depending on how successful you are in the world. Stamina and eating are key, as is armour and equipment. Dying results in you losing all you were holding at the time, but this can be picked up at a grave where you died. Multiple graves are made for each death, so there's no complete loss of anything if you're willing to go back and get your stuff.

Is it good solo?

So for yes, the game is just as viable solo as it is in a party or co-op. You don't need to play with friends, but you'll probably build cooler places with them!

Early access?

It is extremely stable for an early access game and would put most triple A games to shame for how well developed it is (looking at you Cyberpunk). The developers are very good, listening to feedback and updating quite regularly. With 1 million sold already its unlikely this game will be dropped anytime soon.

Show us some screenshots:

STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/892970/Valheim/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This space reserved for further information, screenshots, server info etc.

Tips for Survival

Cooking and building a nice house are extremely important - in the latter case you can't use the crafting table without a roof over your head! Things such as fires, warmth and cooking improve upon your health and stamina.

It's recommended to eat three types of food in order to get the boosts (hence the three slots at the bottom left). Eating three varieties of meat seems to be the best approach.

Getting wet or cold will debuff your stamina. Weather effects such as rain can cause this. Being rested will counter this effect.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 11, 2021

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

dogstile posted:

Suggestions for OP by the way: Stress the importance of actually cooking food and getting the rested buff. I've seen tons of people about to bounce off this game before I go "hey, cook some meat, idiot" and then they marvel as their stamina triples.

Have added notes to OP.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Handy tip - logs generally fall in the direction of whichever side they're leaning toward the most. Don't want to get crushed? Don't be on the falling side!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's balanced around a team. solo play will be rather slow but possible

Yeah it seems to be perfectly fine, but if you're wanting to construct bigger things it will be slower compared to working with people.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Go out and fight and kill bosses, bring glory to Odin!

Me: Spends the last 2 hours building a nice Norsk house:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyway to end on have some pictures of the place I built.

I absolutely love your cross design for the windows! :) Going to do that myself.