Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Anyone just hop onto a public server yet? Thinking about going to a kr or other less than english server so I can live out my 13th Warrior fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have no idea what to even look for in a server. The off-sites that I usually use for Rust are sparse for a game that released a week ago. When I look in-client I have an interface that matches the ps1 era graphics.

Thinking about just jumping into "Yeetinheim"

I haven't clicked on anything, but the key icon implies that all of these servers are password protected.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have sent my friend request. But now a website is telling me that two germans are playing this game and that their password is in their server title. The spooky link steam bootstrapper didn't work. Searching for the game in the in game client isn't working. There are 4844 servers and I don't know how to join a single one.

This is fascinating

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My first tour

Server Name: Everyone Welcome password Toohott

I logged on and found the spawn point surrounded by 3 deerbosses. A combat challange. I know not if the server owners will congradulate you or cut you down if you are able to defeat their trial. But for someone looking for glory this is viking as gently caress.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Pop up website has this server where the dude wrote words in the description box.

https://www.trackyserver.com/server/my-arms-are-made-of-clay-676371

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Broken Cog posted:

A friend of mine who's much further in than me said that there's a merchant you can find at some point that sell you inventory upgrades. Haven't seen anything of him myself though, so for all I know he might have been joking.

There was a seed posted upthread along the lines of "42069xdlol" that has that near/south of spawn.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Anno posted:

So it seems pretty safe to say this was successful beyond anyone's wildest dreams, right? I wonder if that means it'll take more (put in more stuff) or less (they hire more people) time and/or really expand the scope of what they were planning.

I'm super satisfied with wilderness constitutional simulator 2021. Punched a tree and made a lean-to. 10/10

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I genuinely feel like I've hit peak Vanheim by mastering deer spear hunting, cooking up a bunch of meat, then heading to another server like it was where the cookout was gonna be.

I am hitting a brick wall of progression because I go to every server making a lean-to next to streams and brooks. It makes such a big difference to have a workbench you can click on within sight of spawn.

Last one I put a sign up that just says "be nice"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The boar sound effect is the same one from WoW right? It really feels like I am farming bear asses in elwynn forest to level my cooking just to get a lvl 2 bench.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I knew that sounded familiar!

edit: Hmm, it's close. Maybe not the same though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww69PNN4jVc

Ok cool. Very much the same spirit. Activates the same part of my lizard brain deep underneath the scar tissue.

Off topic: Given the limited availability of flint and the specific crossroad of progression I offer this advice: Instead of upgrading your flint spear, make a second flint spear. An unupgraded spear is the choice method of Meadows Deer Hunting. You will lose that spear someday, and you will be far away from your crafting bench. Build the safety spear.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Broken Cog posted:

Easier, maybe, but it's way more satisfying hunting with a spear

Viking man living in viking hut only knows mastery over nature with his skill. It is just instinctual, as I wander my constitutional sometimes I hear the deer call, I hit stealth button and survey my surroundings. Seeing the doe past the next couple trees. The start/stop pacing of trying to get ID and sneak up for first throw is tense. Then when you toss your spear and hit the buck, you rush to claim your spear and stab the doe as it AI Panic turns.

I mean, I get the benefits of arrow hunting. I just don't wanna do the inventory management of arrows. Spend enough of my lean-to viking brain on the meat cooking rhythm beat.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I really dig the conceit of Valheim requiring a password for community servers. Add that with that with dedicated hosting, there's a real opportunity to see some "boats in bottles" type crafted hobby worlds.

But nobody can see it unless you post the password. But if you post the rune words towards your home you could invite vikings who will burn your poo poo down and take your core frags and flint. It is a beautiful tension. But very lightning in a bottle.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

This is making me loving howl

I repeat legends and they turn out to be true. We are entering the beowulf era of bardic tradition. I shall be a skald, joining battle and pillaging new lands as proof of the worlds I traveled.

Fuckin lmao

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
You could connect by knowing something of the server name. When you get in client you can filter all 5000 worlds and pick that. Then you input the password, the ancient runes. But you must repeat this ritual every time you log on. Easy for to call out for a warband, a crew, a tour group.

But, if you know the true old magic, on the steam client you can click view-server to see the ancient pane. From there you can put in the server's true name (ip), and number it's port. If the stars align and you recite the correct words it will be favorited. You can click join. You must still input the password.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
These constructions take effort and having someone witness them is a transformative experience

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nothing more viking than returning home with copper you stripped out of some poor saxon monk's walls.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I went into another person's server. I built a lean-to and bench up at the brook and put up a sign saying "be-nice". I then found the host's hut a lil down the way. I poked around his tanning bench and opened his boxes. I pillaged all his scrap leather and deer leather in my pack and I left, never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I spent the weekend with Assassin's Creed Valhalla because Lunar New Year and Viking Brain.

Valheim is a better viking game for viking brain.