Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

NuckmasterJ posted:

Wait, you what now? You go to a different seed, find a dark forest and load yourself down with stacks upon stacks of copper, then log out and back into your original seed which is still saved and you load into where your bed is?

Doesn't have to be a different seed; just a different world. You can use the same seed for both worlds if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I discovered that you can right click tools and stuff in your non-hotbar inventory to equip them. No need to fiddle with the hotbar every time you want to plant some seeds or flatten ground.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

CRAYON posted:

It seems like it could be based on the initial height of the generated land

It is. Copper rocks also can extend below the max depth, although the hoe leveling function can allow mining fragments that would otherwise be inaccessible. It can drop the terrain an extra half meter or so.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

xzzy posted:

Having to shift click stacks of raspberries to split off a single you can throw into a boar pen is pretty bad too.

They need a feeding trough or something, plop in a stack of food and the piggies eat a single whenever they feel like loving.

I thought they were smart enough to eat a single one from a dropped stack. Have you discovered differently?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Spent a couple hours just chopping down a forest for a couple chests full of wood for (char)coal; game is even more amazing when I can get a tree to fall on a tree which breaks and falls on more trees, causing a multi tree combo that wipes out half a slope.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Heh, storage walls. It's possible to clip chests slightly inside each other, getting 3 adjacent on a single 2x2 foundation. Combine with 1m pillars and a LOT of stuff can be jammed into a tiny volume.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

explosivo posted:

Is there an easier way to build supports underneath a floor so it doesn't cave in? I am trying to build a thing over water but trying to eyeball the top of the support pillars so they match up with the platform above it barely works.

Build a support next to where one should attach to the underside of a floor, then aim another at the side of the first and it should snap to the floor.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Furism posted:

Also, I really hope they fix pathing soon because it makes combat janky to the point of annoyance for me. Combined with the fact that an enemy aggro you every minute, I would say that's the part of the game I like the least.

I'd rather have less enemies but more of a threat than bullshit underpowered enemies that aggro you all the time, too.

Earlier, a tree club troll felled a tree next to some other trees and then refused to path over the fallen tree; cheesed him to death by repeatedly moving a meter back and forth and he'd path the long way around instead of just walking over it.

But the aggroed greydwarfs are the worst. Try to aim with the bow and they change direction just as I fire, every loving time. Starting to wonder if it's deliberate.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if there's a better way to plant and harvest 100+ things. Maybe an AHK macro? I planted this by strafing right/left; could probably do it by clicking every .5s or something.

Carrots for the harvest god!

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 24, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Solo map trip report: After innumerable restarts and some multiplayer action, I finally buckled down and created a map to progress through all the bosses while having fun along the way. I've completed preparations for Elder and think I'm finally ready to kill him and raid the swamp.

First off, the base area. I dug a 5-6 wide trench all the way around the safe area; this should be good to fend off troll raids and such, right?

Inside the fence.

On top of the Staging Area.

Organized and labeled chests are a must!

The area I've explored so far.

You may notice a death marker near the mountain. I decided to do a naked run to get a feel for what it had to offer and ran into a swarm of dragon things guarding a nest. I grabbed an egg from the nest and sprinted back down the mountain chased by a wolf, which I tried clubbing and died very horribly. The egg now resides in a chest back at base until I figure out what it's used for.

This is an insanely busy biome area...

First off, Elder and Bonemass are right across the pond from each other, but also there's PLAINS to the east, which when I sailed by the first and only time, I witnessed a swarm of what I guess were goblins assaulting some poor deer; looked like there was a whole village of them. So I got that to worry about...

Also found tons of swamp crypts; just need Elder's key and I can grab em. Waited this long so I could thoroughly prep for post-Elder raids.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Man, iron is such a miserable grind. Enter swamp crypt. Chop scrap piles until pick breaks. Go put iron in smelters, repair pick, repeat.

Why the hell couldn't iron have been from ore like copper was or I hear silver is?!?

And iron equipment needs SO MUCH IRON. Like 10 times as much as the finished thing weighs... it's stupid.

Crafting an item should not alter the total weight of stuff in my inventory.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Got my first "the ground is shaking" invasion. A single troll spawned on the far side of my moat and wandered around aimlessly while I arrowed it to death. A second one spawned, took a few shots, then fled. And then the invasion ended. Seems the walled moat is a great success.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

VietCampo posted:

Is there a way to maybe help mushrooms spawn?

Besides running around with some settings set to low to help me see them. Mushrooms are such a drag and are our #1 bottleneck for making better foods and meads.

I have mild Protanomaly, so the mushrooms tend to blend in with the grass.. I can still find them occasionally in good lighting, but when I really need them, I just put grass to min.

More games really need customizable colorblindness settings, and not just the stupid presets; I can still see red and green, but subtle shades are all kinds of hosed.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Most survival games make getting wood an exercise in tedium. Not Valheim. Every time I chop down my tree farm, it finds a different way to create a chain reaction of falling and exploding wood. Tree physics are amazing.

Minecraft, this ain't.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Queen's Jam is a tempting early game craft, but I deeply regret making ~30 of it, as Tasty Mead uses the same materials and is really useful once 8+ stamina segments are reliably obtained. Especially during boss fights, or extended mining sessions. I used 2 of it during the Elder fight, and wished I'd brought more. Cold and wet and crossing the swamp? Just slam a tasty halfway across, wait a few seconds, and keep sprinting.

Also, here's a tip to plant stuff faster. Use the poles of an adjacent low fence as a spacing guide. Just plant one thing every vertical pole and it works out great.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

PittTheElder posted:

What are you eating for food then? Sausages and...?

I did not realize stamina capped out like that

Most of the time, I just have meat active, with two foods ready to go if I'm not confident in my ability to handle a situation with only that much hp as a buffer.

Early game, it was: meat, berries, neck tail, supplemented with carrot soup for high stamina activities. Once I found the trader, meat, fish, neck tail. I ended up raiding the swamp and establishing a base before I fought Elder, so I quickly graduated to sausages and turnip soup.

These days, I'm eating a steady diet of sausages, turnip soup and grilled fish. Need to go back to starvation rations for a while until I farm a chest full of meat and a couple stacks of thistles, though; running out of both.

Not sure what you mean by 'capping out'; higher tier foods do give more stamina, and Tasty mead is highly effective regen in time critical situations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

PittTheElder posted:

Oh I was going purely off this statement:

But maybe I interpreted it wrong and it doesn't actually cap.

We just found the trader (and thus reliable fish access), so I guess I'll aim for Sausage, Turnip Stew, Fish.

Queen's Jam and Tasty Mead both use raspberries and blueberries. What I was trying to say is that either you can use 8+8 of each for 4 of a food that is surpassed by many later foods, or you can make Tasty mead with it (10 honey, 10 raspberries, 5 blueberries for 6 mead) and it will full regen your stamina regardless of its current amount.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Swamp raid complete. Should be enough iron for ~ever~, I hope. Now to take it home.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

androo posted:

God drat. Please back that save up incase some ocean shenanigans happen.

I made it safely back; still haven't seen any ocean monsters. Unfortunately, my base is literally at the top of a cliff with no cart ramps yet so I had to buff up on stamina food and then do a slow walk up, periodically depositing everything in a couple chests to regen stamina. Made it up there and got all the iron in a new iron chest.

I think I'll kill Bonemass tomorrow. I've already got a mountaintop base and a full supply of frost arrows, so it shouldn't be too big of a pain.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you also CANNOT put it on a building (i.e. flooring) no matter how open it is. has to be placed on dirt far enough away from any structure (which is not much space at all). kind of annoying.

They can be placed on the sides of buildings and still function. Here's mine:

Pham Nuwen posted:

I would kill for a few additional quickbar spaces. I'd like to have club, shield, bow, spear, hammer, axe, pick, and 3 stacks of food all close to hand, but instead I keep the weapons and some food handy and shuffle the other tools depending on what I'm doing, open the inventory to eat honey, etc.. It's pretty goddamn minor though... I'm still sneaking 30 minutes in the game over lunch and such.

Only problem with that is quickbar spaces are also inventory spaces. The devs would need to decouple those functions like the Factorio devs did.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

CRAYON posted:

need to farm the tree people like that

Uh. They're not tree people. They're horrifying abominations. Have you not found one of their lore tablets yet? Suffice to say, killing them is Good.

Also, lots of free wood, stone and resin.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

CRAYON posted:

i guess i havent but i just assumed we were the bad guys

Greydwarfs are pretty bad.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

anatomi posted:

What's a good ratio for harvesting/replanting carrots?

Well, since a carrot seed plant gives 3 carrot seeds, I think the best ratio is 1 carrot seed plant to 3 carrots. This will give 2 carrots of profit. So, if you plant 30 carrot seed plants and 90 carrots, you'll get 60 extra carrots after replanting.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Argue posted:

Is that not normal? My first boss location is within spitting distance of the starting location too.

It's random. One seed I tried had first boss altar within 30m of the standing stones. Another had it across an ocean ~5-10% of the map radius away.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Tempora Mutantur posted:

also wolves are dickholes because of the mountain's terrain, you have to get to a flat area since vikings have not mastered the concept of "attacking upward or downward," they only attack directly in front of them.

Or just 'slope adjacent to the wolf'. Also can pre-combo (with an axe, at least) so the third, vertical hit goes out as it gets in range.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Son of Rodney posted:

Today while running around my mountain biome I was randomly mobbed by a group of 3 goblin things, which were very far from the plains that are adjacent. They killed me and almost got my 79% tame project wolf. Where the hell did these fucks even come from? Funny how the game still managed to suprise you.

I've occasionally found skeletons running around the meadows murdering wildlife; escapees from the black forest apparently.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I may plant a few giant pines/oaks if that's a thing for a treehouse extension on it

That's absolutely a thing. Trees give ground-level structural support for anything attached to the trunk, so it's perfectly viable to plant some pines and bury them in walls for a base that's much taller than it has any right to be.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

mastershakeman posted:

What happens if you get stuck with a broken pickaxe? Have to cheat out?

If you have enough stamina, you can just spam jump and get out. Takes a few bars for a max depth trench.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SynthesisAlpha posted:

If you're going to do it that way then I guess you need to keep a backup portal, tagged but unlinked, in your base. I never thought of doing it this way but going by how it often takes a few seconds for a new portal to light up I feel like the risks are pretty apparent.

Or just don't tag it. Two portals without tags will link automatically, funnily enough.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Is there a key/trick or something that lets you just build a floor piece directly in front of you that snaps to the one you're on? Attempting to build poo poo like docks where you're building straight out if there isn't a support there is frustrating as gently caress.

I heard that you can build a floor piece halfway hanging off and then aim at the edge and the next will snap below. Then deconstruct the one on top and repeat.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Broken Cog posted:

Hopefully the success of this game dispels the notion that survival game needs to have PvP to be successful. It seems a lot of people were waiting for one that didn't have that as a focus.

Valheim is a good example of what happens when devs don't cater to the screaming 1%.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm another person who never would have touched the game if it didn't strip out all the things I dislike about survival games. Not having to watch a bunch of bars that drain ridiculously fast and constantly stuffing your face to avoid starving in 5 minutes is great.

Instead, you only need to stuff your face every 6-10 minutes to renew food buffs. And the buffs are optional (but they help a lot).

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Also this is a thing in most games with them, and also IRL, but I wish there was a thing that would make the boat sail translucent, because I can't see a loving thing when I'm driving.

Scroll wheel lets you zoom out. Quite far when driving a boat, enough to see easily even with a longboat at full sail.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Woden posted:

Has anyone figured out viable way to farm fish?

Fishing itself kinda sucks, but since you can just grab fish if you get close enough and that they'll sometimes swim up shallow rivers makes me think farming is possible. I tried spear fishing and harpooning them but that's a no go.

I have noticed that sometimes another fish will follow the hooked fish onto land and I can grab it too. I haven't tried flattening a very shallow area next to the ocean; or maybe even building a shallow ramp thing. I wonder if that would result in bigger collaterals.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Otacon posted:

I was loving around early on and I consoled in Unarmed to 100, and unfortunately, no. Completely worthless. Bows however? You're loving Legolas at 90+.
(I reset all the skills afterwards)

Even at bows 50, with the iron bow, I'm a god of death. Trolls get stunlocked and die without doing much of anything.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Otacon posted:

I had a boar pen, and the boars kept escaping whenever I'd load into the area. I ended up building a second wall around the first pen, and when I load in they're within the second wall but not the inner pen. I might need a 3rd larger pen surrounding both because they're STILL escaping. There's definitely something weird going on with tamed animals being loaded outside of their last-known location.

I heard a rumor that if they're partway inside the wall when you leave the area, when you return, they'll be on top of it instead, and can walk off.

Try using 'walls' of raised earth, instead. Or putting them in a pit.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I was wondering if there was a point where you could get it to one shot trees, cos there's the weird thing where it basically is less about damage and more about how many chops you have to do.

The axe damage (modified by your skill) determines how many chops you need to do, since trees have (invisible) hp. Iron axe turns me into a tree felling machine.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Inzombiac posted:

Wait, are people using the wood cutting axe as a weapon as well?

I may have misunderstood this game a bit.

The axe is a swingy thing that happens to damage trees. If an enemy gets in the way, it takes damage, too. Have you never before been cutting down a tree and a greyling gets in the way?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

30.5 Days posted:

Annual income 300 resin, annual expenditure 6 sconces, result chests fill up with resin.
Annual income 300 resin, annual expenditure 8 sconces, result not enough resin to light my house.

This may be a revolutionary concept to some of you, but:

Light sources don't need to be lit at all times. Light them for comfort, or ambience, or screenshots, but it's fine if they aren't lit at other times. And you have the option of only adding 1 fuel instead of filling them completely. Same for campfires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gully Foyle posted:

You've got to activate the head on the stone to get the power "equipped", so just go back there and press E or whatever you have set on the hung Eikthyr head There should be an icon just to the right of your health/food bars if you do it. When that icon says 'Ready' you can press F to activate the power (lasts for 5 minutes, cooldown for 20 minutes). It's very useful though - 60% stamina drain from running/jumping makes exploring much easier.

So useful, in fact, that I've never swapped it out. I wish there was a power wheel thing, instead, and activating a power locked them all for 20min.

I suppose I should put a dedicated portal to the standing stones already.