Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've been farming trolls with the first bow, so it's definitely not bad. Just bump it up a couple of levels on the workbench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nice, I was just starting to wonder how I was supposed to get enough honey to make some of these potion bases, when I get a Queen Bee drop from a random beehive.
Time to get to work setting up a colony.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, the second boss was definitely a fair bit trickier than the first one, at least solo.

Glad I stocked up on arrows before I went.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fellis posted:

This hasn’t been the case for me, like sure it doesnt matter for things that cost wood, but we dismantled a craft bench upgrade cause someone placed it poorly and had to spend 20 min getting flint/hide/leather to rebuild it

Its made people in my server pretty paranoid about dismantling anything especially now that we’ve gotten into bronze stuff and it takes forever to smelt
Guess someone might have vacuumed up something and not noticed, because I have gotten 100% of my resources back every time I have dismantled something.

Good thing too, because my boat decided to do a 180 while docked and destroyed itself.

Edit: Decided to set sail straight out into the ocean for once. Landed on some sort of plains area, got stung by a mosquito and died.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 12, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Had a portal get destroyed by a troll about 2 hours ago, and it gave me back everything so I could just immediately put it back up, so I don't know what's going on here.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Stagbreaker might not be a good weapon, but drat if it isn't funny to use.

Also, tin being non-renewable isn't such a big deal, since it's everywhere and you get 4-5 from each node. I have a much harder time finding enough copper.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

NuckmasterJ posted:

Have you dug down under where the copper was located? I've started finding huge secondary copper deposits that go into the ground.

Honestly, it's not as much a problem with supply as it is with taking a long-rear end time to mine out. Not to mention that you need 2 copper for each 1 tin for a bar of bronze.
I usually just mark every node I run past if I explore in a black forest biome, and return for them later.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

mkvltra posted:

What's the trick or hint for finding Surtling Cores? My group and I stumbled into the only cave we've found so far, only for there to be a giant troll and a dead end tunnel.

I've pretty much only found them in Burial Mounds. If you run around Black Forest and find some skeletons that are not hanging out in a ruined tower, chances are there is a mound nearby.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kaddish posted:

Yes, they are in burial mounds, not troll caves. I have more cores than I know what to do with on my solo game but I'm sure they come into play more later.

Those cores go pretty fast when you start building boatsand portals

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently you can't deconstruct boats, something to keep in mind.

You can smash them though

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any way to hang trophies on the walls?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also weird since smashing stuff instead of disassembling it seems to return a full refund

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If I lose my Swamp Key do I have to kill the Elder again?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, at first I thought it sounded excessive that you needed 20 bars of iron for each item, but after one trip to a sunken crypt it doesn't seem so bad. You get ridiculous amounts of it in there, I found a stack of 15 in a single room, and have around 50 after 2 trips. I can see it being a pain bringing it back to your main base for smelting, though, so I can understand setting up a smelting outpost.

Oof

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dandywalken posted:

Too early to tell. My dumbfuck friends are acting like it having a roadmap and the fact it sold a ton of copies means its going to have incredible support lol

Imo you need more item slots ingame. Weight is already there, having to constantly drop small poo poo to pick stuff up is annoying.

A friend of mine who's much further in than me said that there's a merchant you can find at some point that sell you inventory upgrades. Haven't seen anything of him myself though, so for all I know he might have been joking.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also please implement the "Store into nearby chests" function from Terraria

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gotta say it felt extremely satisfying ferrying my 120 raw iron nuggets across the ocean from my swamp outpost to my main base. Even with the storm that hit halfway.

Also I can make so many sausages now

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of swamps, is there anything you can do with those huge trees with green blobs in them?

Edit: Also here's the thing about iron: Not everyone needs an entire iron set. For example, if someone is playing archer, they really just need the bow. They can just keep upgrading the troll set.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 13, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dogstile posted:

Can you get past level 4 workbench? Don't let me know how, just a yes or no so i'm not spoiled :v:

I'm sure you can, but I've just started smelting my iron, so I'm not sure I'm the best one to ask :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just go exploring as new biomes open up, you'll discover the stuff you need. I wasn't even aware there was a wiki for this up already.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Buller posted:

Hpw are you guys transporting items by water? I have build a Karve but I cant make a chest on it.

The Karve has a chest in it, it can hold 4 stacks. Use it to store the heaviest stuff you're going to transfer (usually ore)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just a PSA: You need to get the smithy to level 4 to unlock the next tier of spears. It doesn't unlock automatically when you get iron like the rest of the weapons.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

thark posted:

Except they might drop at the bottom of the water inaccessibly. RIP my longboat and in particular the iron nails used to make it, which I didn't have enough iron on hand to replace (said longboat being used to fetch said iron). At least the cargo dropped as a couple of floating boxes.

If it dropped in shallow enough water, you can sometimes get deep enough to grab it by jumping in from some elevated terrain or a structure nearby.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, went to the mountain biome to check it out, and found a Dragon Egg. But it weighed so much that I had to open my inventory to toss some stuff out, and a wolf saw the opportunity to drop me in 3 hits.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, what is This thing (spoiler!) for? It was a real pain getting it down from that mountaintop.

Please don't say something boring like "Summoning the fourth boss".

Edit:

TeaJay posted:

You can cook it and make an omelette ...

... ...

... ... ....

... sorry, it's for summoning the fourth boss

Dang, though I suspected as much. Thanks

At least it makes for a great night lamp!

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 14, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Easier, maybe, but it's way more satisfying hunting with a spear

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I build mining outposts with a portal back to base. Portals are fairly cheap to set up, and you can use it to quickly pop back and repair.
Also, if you are in the swamp, once you have an iron pickaxe, just bring both that and the bronze one for twice the durability.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dialhforhero posted:

I don’t even know how to mine. I have a smelter and a coal furnace but I have not been able to figure out metallurgy and working stone.

It is frustrating when I am using this as an architectural simulator :argh:
Spoilered in case you want to figure it out yourself: Beat the first boss for a pickaxe.Get some iron for stoneworking.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone done the third boss solo and got some tips? Gave him a shot but had to retreat because gently caress that.
Already have poison resistance potions mead.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Alright, I'll make an iron mace and try again. Felt like I wasn't doing enough with the Altgeir. Cheers!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Inzombiac posted:

Well gently caress.

If you pilfered the cubes but died and cant find your corpse then you could maybe not be able to make a forge.

Weird game.

Oh there are plenty of crypts around, they are all over the place in the forests. No worries.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just use the boat to ferry ores, that's why it has a storage built into it. No need to set up a new smelter base.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I set up my main base on the coast of the first Black Forest I came across after starting, and I have 3 swamp biomes within 10 minutes boat trips, so it seems I have been extremely lucky in that case.
Though I also spent some time mapping out the surrounding islands at some point.

Edit: A single boat trip with the Karve lets one person carry 120 ores + whatever they can carry on their body, so you really don't need many trips.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 15, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I haven't tried taming anything yet, what is the benefit of taming boars?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Pretty sure anything you toss out is automatically marked as "Do not automatically pick up".
Might reset on chunk reload though

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone tried making a base on the plains? Feels like it would be pretty hardcore.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the three first swamps I found had 5+ crypts each, and I didn't explore them all fully.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sometimes I like to look at my time played, how much I've discovered of the map, then zoom out

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

First two rooms of a crypt. First one had 1 chest with iron, second room had 3.

Fellis posted:

So what are the odds the dev completely abandons this game because of the overnight success? This is their first game right?

I’m like 50:50, on one hand they have a lot of very interested people and this could be an all-time game in the genre if they put work into it. On the other hand I’m not sure that work pays off unless they make a push for a 1.0 and drop DLCs
Haha, what? This is one hell of a take

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jinnigan posted:

Tell me about.... forward operation bases. Outposts. How much do you build them up? Where do you put them? I had an idea to build a quick little bed and bench hut in Black Forest. Didn't realize it'd be surrounded by 10-15 graydwarves every time I went to it.
I usually throw up a small shack with a bed and a couple of chests, and set up a workbench and a campfire underneath an outer roof outside. This should give the shack a comfort rating of about 4, which is enough for small excursions. If you are just exploring, and don't plan on coming back, you can always just convert some random ruined shack to a shelter for the night.

As for where to put them... I usually prioritize meadows close to biomes I'm interested in exploring, or areas close to bosses. Usually also throw up a portal if it's far enough away from main base.

Fellis posted:

Poor wording, I don't mean just drop the game, I just mean they don't keep up with it and let it go or people get frustrated and stop playing. Phasmaphobia had success on a smaller scale this summer and there has been like one bugfix patch and no additional content or major updates in 6 months and I definitely regret buying that poo poo game cause my friends got me hyped for it.

I've already got my $20 out of Valheim so I don't really care either way. It just has a lot of potential and eventually more and more people are gonna hit the brick wall of progression and stop playing. Already everyone on my server is just using login/logout tricks to move stuff around and I've lost some interest in playing with them and it's been like... a week?
Imo, the devs have shown themselves to be insanely competent and capable with this release, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be industry veterans. Churning out a release like this in a couple of years with such a small team is no small feat. I have no doubts they are going to continue taking this project serious going forward.

As for the Phasmaphobia example, IIRC that was a one-person team, which often means slow and unpredictable dev cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, I beat the third boss, honestly wasn't that bad when I came properly prepared. Now to go suffer in some nicer looking terrain.