Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

You'll need to pick the right damage type to deal with the right enemies.

How do you know the right damage type without wiki diving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

^^^ Looks like harpoon time to me

Also the Bonemass sure is a dick. Our whole party of like 8 people went to go try and fight him tonight, and he repeatedly killed most of us while we never got him below 30% health. Anyone have tips on fighting that guy?

Possible mistakes we made were:
  • Bringing along 3-4 people with only arrows rather than maces, and who's supply of frost/flame arrows ran out like halfway through the fight. Bosses scale with number of people present, correct?
  • Running in troll hides and shields rather than in proper armor, which normally works great but does not work at all when oozes and Draugrs are teleporting all over the place due to what I gather is pretty terrible netcode.
  • Not having enough poison resist potions; we thought we had plenty but the fight dragged on for far longer than we expected.

Anyone at the front needs maxed bronze armor at a minimum, iron would be better. Have a couple people with high block skill and good shields with maces rotating in and out of the poison cloud as health allows, the rest using frost arrows (flame is not great against him). Anyone using arrows should have no trouble avoiding damage, just take some healing and stamina potions in case of emergency. The good news is that if you have poison resist he's not particularly deadly, if you're not doing enough damage it's pretty easy to just run away and regroup. Iron maces are way better than bronze although they are extremely expensive to upgrade, but having one or two will make a big difference. Two people in my group did him with just frost arrows, later I went back with iron armor and an iron mace and was able to solo him pretty easily to get his drop (he will scale with # of players though).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

For a fresh EA game it's remarkably rich and fun, but it definitely has some issues. Besides the obvious QoL and optimization work that needs to be done, the biggest gameplay issue IMO is iron. It's extremely difficult to find in large quantities and you need SO MUCH of it. Bronze, while it takes a while to mine the copper and tin, is extremely plentiful and easy to find in large deposits everywhere, but once you progress past bronze tier you almost never use it again. Iron on the other hand is used for way more gear for a way longer period, has higher resource costs for that gear (an upgraded iron mace costs 80 iron, for example), and is used throughout the game for chests, boats, and building materials. And it takes ages to find.

Even after you get the wishbone, finding deposits is slow and they net you ~6 iron, while being super tedious to mine out due to the water level. Finding a large swamp with more than 2 crypts takes a huge amount of exploring, and even then you often get duds. After weeks of playthrough on a group server we've only found 2 swamps with more than 2 crypts, and sometimes those crypts have literally zero iron in them. Of course sometimes you get lucky and find a crypt with 100+ iron, but that's rare, and given how much iron you need is still a pretty weak amount.

Then once you get to silver, it's not only much easier to find (a large mountain biome will consistently have 5+ deposits), but each deposit will consistently give you ~60 silver, and given that it's never used for buildings and doesn't there aren't many silver tools/weapons, is more than you need for most things.. Iron just feels like the odd one out, both much rarer and much higher demand than all the other metals. I hope they address that. It needs to both be more common, as well as less of a high demand material. Iron chests for example should only cost 1 iron, and iron beams should be 4m for 1 iron, instead of 2m for 1 iron. Building a two story stone building requires like 50 iron unless you want to have pillars at every other floor section.

Even black metal is really easy to gather in large amounts, once you get to the requisite gear level to get it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I'd be happier if iron veins spawned in the mountains, so you can keep getting it there and only have to go back to swamps for entrails and bloodbags. The fauna in the mountains is already extremely dangerous to anyone not wearing iron at minimum anyway.

I like this idea. Really there just needs to be real iron veins instead of just "scrap piles" which drop iron inconsistently (along with other crap like leather and bones).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ughhhh posted:

Having the wind directly behind you is actually slower you fool!

please explain

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

pik_d posted:

Edit: also the boss fights can be done in multiple places, you're only shown the closest one. There's ways to see the other locations in game but I don't remember right now how.

Each boss has multiple spawning points (i don't know the exact number, it may vary) and the runes that reveal their location always reveal the nearest one. So if you want another spawn location, head out in a different direction and explore the necessary biome (black forest for elder, swamp for bonemass, etc).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I have one, but if I sail somewhere in it and then die on landing I have to either build another one, which means teching up to bronze again and doing a lot of already tedious mining, or it means using a raft, both are needlessly slow.

The whole concept of losing your stuff if you die just seems pointless, I don't see what purpose it serves in the game.

The purpose is to make you cautious about venturing into danger, and punish you when you overextend. The point of this is to give a feeling of accomplishment when you conquer a new area. This game in general makes you work a lot harder for all your accomplishments, and punishes you fairly harshly when you fail, and that's what makes it feel so good when you do something.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If I'm going to do that why not just make it so I don't have to?

Like that's the thing, it doesn't fit or make sense, and the only time it actually happens is when the game decides to just arbitrarily kill you.

I really do not see a good argument for not making this an option. I don't play any other game that way.

It sounds like you just don't like the game. The game has "extra" content around exploration and building, but it is a survival game, through and through. You have to face danger and figure out how to survive and overcome it, like that's the entire appeal of the genre. When you fail to overcome it, you get punished. That's just How It Works. If you don't like that as a gameplay concept you shouldn't be playing this game.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Azhais posted:

The stat loss is already brutal enough

The stat loss is tiny, its 5% I think? You'll regain that it just a few minutes of activity, and the game even has grace periods to prevent total stat nosedive from repeated deaths on a corpse run. It's only a big punishment if you are near max level, in which case you already have all the tools and knowledge to not die a lot.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Captain Stalin posted:

How viable is it to find silver without killing the 3rd boss? Any tips or is it a waste of time?

I'm fully decked out in upgraded iron, but I can't get the idea of dropping a frost hammer on Mr. Mass's head.

I have plenty of resist frost potions and can handle the wildlife, I just need someway of finding a vein.

Technically possible but it would be really slow. You'd have to dig down 3m in pretty much a 200m Sq area to have a good chance of finding any. Hope you like repairing pickaxes.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I think it would probably be better if enemies had a chance to drop ore fragments, because they drop a lot of poo poo you don't really need at the moment.

The mega blobs in the swamp do, they drop 1 iron. But they're really rare so its not a viable way to farm it. Goblins do too (or "fulings" but lol i can never get it right and always call them furlings, thanks stargate)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Next time I go sailing for another loving swamp, I'm only settling in a neighboring black forest too. I don't even want to think about the process of securing another swamp beachhead, and if there's no black forest biome on the island then it can gently caress off forever

You don't even need a beachhead, I've just been placing down a portal on the coast and putting a boat next to it for the iron. Enemies spawn pretty infrequently in the swamp and they're all slow so you can easily run them to another patch of ground if they happen to be on you when you come out of the portal.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I'm up to 10 and just plop them down whenever I find a safe spot that is just far enough away that would be a pain to sail to.

Gonna restart, actually because this hilltop base I made is proving to be kind of a pain in the rear end.

Why restart? Just put your stuff on a boat and sail to a new island. :)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It's a gigantic brick of HP that likes to spam unblockable attacks, you fight it in lovely terrain, constantly wet, and with a huge pile of adds that also like to spam unblockable attacks and also you are poisoned all the time. It's just an unbelievable slog, someone evidently though that the rotten was the best part of dark souls 2 except what if it had three times as much HP and also your stamina was poo poo the whole time because of the rain. And also if the combat controls were a lot worse.

I don't mind that the game isn't dark souls but I wish it would stop trying to be.

It's only hard if you're badly equipped. My first try I went in with lovely weapons and was doing no damage, so I left and made a maxed iron mace. With middling iron armor, an iron shield, a single poison resist potion, and an iron mace I was able to kill him in about 6 minutes. You can literally ignore the blobs with poison resist, their full duration poison will do like 8 damage.

The game is not dark souls at all, it gives you all the tools to make pretty much any engagement pretty trivial, you just have to make some half-decent gear.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Gimme more carrot recipes. poo poo's obsolete once turnips are a thing

Turnips are great but carrots are still better for stamina (though terrible for hp)

OwlFancier posted:

The meads are a pain in the arse to make though, grinding out flowers and berries is dull as ditchwater.

lol literally everything you say in this thread is a whine, why are you even playing the game

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

For some reason it's absurdly hard to find an answer to this on any of the many slide-show Valheim building gudes out there: do you need to have beams supporting your buildings to keep them structurally sound? How much of a different does this make?

Yes, and it makes a big difference. You can build a few segments high and a couple segments inward (for a roof) before it'll start collapsing, but if you add some supports you'll be able to build a lot more freely. Once you get to iron segments you can even support multi-story stone buildings without things collapsing, but it gets really expensive.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Untrustable posted:

I can't find bees anywhere. I've checked 5-10 abandoned villages, I've run all over multiple black forests and meadows. Are they just not on this seed?

Any abandoned building will do, doesn't need to be village. In fact I've only ever seen behives in buildings that are not part of villages. For me they've always been in meadows, always been isolated buildings, and the beehive is always inside.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

xzzy posted:

It has less durability too. The axe is a bad weapon.

(so is the sword, use maces like a pro!)

The silver sword would like a word with you.

Really though, swords shouldn't be underestimated. They have a poor damage type, but they attack quickly with a tiny backswing which lets you pop your shield up really quick after attacking, and they have a large arc which lets you hit a whole semicircle in front of you for groups, and because of the fast attack you can usually get your shield back up before you take any hits. Maces and axes have much better damage types, but the swing and stamina use leave you wide open for follow up attacks.

My preference for swords is definitely a specialization thing though - in the group I play with I am the frontliner who tries to get the attention of every enemy so my group can hit em with bows freely, so I expect to have a large group of enemies right on my shield most of the time, and swords really excel in that situation.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yes, and I'm pretty sure skill gains slow down considerably around 30-50 so losing skills kinda legit hurts

Skill gain is exponential, so each level costs considerably more than the one before it on a smooth curve. But skill loss is a flat %, so it definitely hurts a lot more as you get higher, because you're losing more time.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gully Foyle posted:

To go with this:

Comfort matters. Each point of additional comfort adds a minute to the rested buff. And it's super easy to do. Even early game, don't forgot to throw down a rug (made with deer skin), or make a chair (fine wood, needs bronze axe) for a few extra points.

Rested bonus also boosts your XP gains by 50% in everything

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Unlike Minecraft you do not need to be close to your crops in this game for them to grow. I just made a farm in the plains, surrounded it with workbenches, and put a portal there. No enemy has ever come close so I've never had to worry about fortifying it, because I'm not there for long and I'm never there at night. You could do the same thing in the meadows if you're still early on in the game, since all you need is some fine wood.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Eschatos posted:

You got a source on that? The antler pick does like 4 damage a hit vs about 14 from iron.

That matters on other materials but not on iron, it always only takes one hit, so the only stat that matters is durability.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Don't wanna spoil if you're still at swamp stage, but there is scrap ore buried in the swamp, you just don't have a sensible way to find it until after you beat the boss.

Problem is this sucks, not only are those about as rare as silver veins, but each has about ~5 iron ore in it compared to about ~75 for each silver vein, and it is often literally impossible to mine them out fully due to them nearly always being below the water level. They're barely even worth bothering with, and its a painful chore to harvest them when you do just need that little extra bit of iron. There should just be infrequent-but-large veins of real iron ore in the swamps that is above the water level, similar to copper in the dark forest.

finding out that the last set of armor currently in the game ALSO takes a ton of iron was a real slap in the face considering how much harder it is to get than both silver and black iron. Why that set isn't made from black iron is beyond me

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

So someone posted above that crops mature even if you aren't nearby. Could we maybe get a list of things that do/don't "progress" when you're away?

Things that do not progress while you are away:

- Taming animals - tested this on both boars and wolves, no progress while I was away

Things that do progress while you are away:

- Fermenting
- Charcoal kiln and smelter

Everything that is time based progresses while it's unloaded, the reason taming doesn't progress is that you actually have to be physically near the animals to "acclimatize" them. I just made a pen for some boars right next to the building I was constructing, they were tame before I finished.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I might be missing something obvious, but what dictates where you spawn when you go through a portal? Is it always out of the side with the lit writing? Is it the same/opposite compass direction you went in? Because I never figured it out, all my portals have space in front and behind, which is wasteful!

You always come out on the side with the writing, but you can enter from any side.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pill Clinton posted:

Drop the draw distance by a notch. I went from 30 to 40 FPS after doing so. Decoration amount is one of the things which greatly affect FPS, besides the quantity of building pieces. Don't think terraforming affect FPS much.

It makes a huge difference. On my dedicated server with ~5 people our first base was standard fare, a few simple buildings and a lot of terraforming. Ran like total garbage, most of us couldn't even get 40FPS in it. Then we heard about the terraforming problem and made a new base, which by now is 3-5x as large and complex, with a strict rule of no terraforming at all. Runs at about 90FPS for me, over double of our much-simpler-but-terraformed base.

The other performance tips help a lot too, fwiw. The fullscreen fix and special gpu flags gave me about ~20% more FPS.

Pill Clinton posted:

FPS depends almost entirely on the quantity of objects in a given area

Exactly, and doing any terraform operation (raise, lower, level, path, cultivate, stone path) creates an object for each "pixel" of the world that gets touched. So like another poster said, a 100x100 area being touched will create 10k objects. All of this will create a CPU bottleneck really fast.

quote:

I have 30-40 FPS
I think this is the disconnect lol, to most of us that would be considered nigh-unplayable.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 9, 2021

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Is it generally the case that the swamp with Bonemass will have a lot of crypts? That would be good to know.

Yes. The problem with swamps is that a huge portion of them are those little "strip" biomes that show up on the edge of islands, and whether those are their own biome type under the hood, or whether crypts need some kind of minimum swamp area to spawn in, those strips never have crypts (not that I've seen, anyway). But if you can find a proper swamp biome that has a little depth to it, crypts are really common. Most of the non-strip swamps you run into will have 5+ crypts, recently I found one with 14.

Bonemass is (so far as I've seen) always in one of those "full" swamps, so as a consequence there are usually a decent number of crypts too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Do you have a link to these?

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lizxq9/valheim_fps_fix_benchmark_picture_guide_gained_an

quote:

Fullscreen trick does nothing for me. Not a single FPS gain.

Makes sense if you're in a large base that is CPU-bound, these fixes will really only help with the GPU performance. If you go out into the wilderness and test it you'll probably see a difference.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

As I'm nearing the end of the current content... I wonder when the content updates will start? So far patches mostly focused on bugs and multiplayer which is good. But I wonder how long it will actually take for updates.

No dates, which is probably for the best. Just a very vague 2021 roadmap which gives them a lot of wiggle room to shift priorities - which given how the game exploded and how much of the appeal was in areas the devs didn't seem to anticipate initially - they'll probably do a lot.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It would be nice if there was some way to automatically, or at least area repair stuff, cos sometimes catching all the little details is fiddly.

Actually honestly I'm a bit surprised there isnt some kind of magic system in the game because the enemies can use it and you would think it would fit in with the whole collecting stuff aspect.

There's a mod (don't have the name atm, but it's one of the most downloaded build mods on the nexus) that makes repair an area action with a 2-3 meter radius. It's good.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

xzzy posted:

Kill and harvest everything you come across, it's all used for something.

I like how birch trees are the only resource that gets more annoying to gather as the game ages. Gotta head out to find untouched meadows to get more.

Once you can survive in the plains it's easy, just make a portal near any of the plentiful 100% birch forests that are out there and go to town. Before that it's definitely tricky, but you can manage it with some extra caution with bronze/iron gear too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Just place it, it'll fall into the water. Just make sure the water is above head height or it might smack the bottom and take damage and/or get stuck.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

They do respawn, I have no idea what the timeline is for that though. Probably 4 hours same as plants I'd guess.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

i hope so, that sounds badass

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

I have a senior family member that I'd like to find a new game for. They are great at Stardew Valley and can manage the combat in WoW but they aren't quick with the keys/actions...

How is the difficulty of Valheim? Is there a slider or way to put the game on 'easy mode' for them if needed? I'd like to find a game for them where they can mostly forage and craft and periodically have easy fights, and Valheim seems like it might be that.

Like others have said the combat can be very unforgiving - however if this family member is willing to do a little grinding, the game gives you all the tools to be well-prepared enough that the next progression step becomes pretty trivial. Most people try and blitz through and step into the danger zone without fully upgrading everything, because frankly fully upgrading everything at the current tier takes a lot of time. But with patience and good weapons/armor/food/potion you can handle the next step in the progression without breaking a sweat.

So in the meadow stage, full upgrade troll armor, in the dark forest stage fully upgrade bronze gear, etc. And make the best food and potions that you can at any stage. If you do that then the game is pretty chill.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

For people who host servers, there's a great new mod out: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/477

Short version is that it gives the server control of playerfiles instead of clients, so you can have a more self-contained environment, more like a minecraft server. As opposed to people logging in with high levels in everything and maxed out gear. It also prevents the temptation to game the system by "teleporting" metals etc. by worldhopping. It's also planned to allow it to enforce mod configs, so you could set up a modded server and ensure people don't break it (on purpose or accident) by having mix-matched config files.

Modpack tools a la minecraft are not going to be far behind I think, this'll make the game awesome for modded community servers. :woop:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Do silver veins ever go away?

My buddy and I established an outpost in the mountains for the first time and the wishbone item pinged us to a presumed silver location. We dug down and reached bedrock and couldn't dig any deeper then I realized our bronze and antler picks can't dig silver after doing some research.

So we went there the next day and the spot doesn't ping anymore. Do veins despawn?

Did you find a necklace? It's buggy and will continue to ping till you go away and come back

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You don't need to edit the DLL anymore, there are multiple mods that do it for you. This is nice because the DLL edit has to be re-done every time the game updates, which is really annoying.

https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/Valdream/Data_Rate_Modifier/

There is also this one which can help with certain kinds of issues:

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/198

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

forbidden dialectics posted:

I have this on my server and all of the player's clients, but one of the people in our group lives in a rural area and has some terrestrial 4G internet service and whenever he becomes the "node controller", we all get like 500-1000ms of lag (e.g., open a chest, it pops open a second later); even me, which is odd considering the server is 3 feet behind my desk. If anyone else is the "node controller" then it's completely fine, but the game seems to PREFER to pick whoever has the absolute worst connection. I wish there was some way to prioritize it such that if all 3 of us are in the same area, he will only become the node controller if he's too far away from the rest of the party; otherwise it's one of the other players on gbps fiber.

Yeah the way the game delegates everything to clients is really unusual and really annoying. The workaround in your case would just be to have him leave the area and come back, and the simulation will be delegated to another client. Basically whoever is "first" in an area gets total control, if they leave it gets passed to the next player, and so on. This can get a bit weird depending on how spread out people are but that's the gist.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Devs have made it pretty clear they're not interested in allowing ores to be teleported. There are lots of interesting ideas posted here and elsewhere about how to have it both ways, some quite good, but for the foreseeable future if you want something like that, you're gonna have to mod it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

fennesz posted:

Dumb question. What respawns in this game? Do trees or bushes respawn on their own or do I have to plant them? I'm operating under the assumption that they do grow on their own, but the forest around our main base is looking pretty thin these days. Also assuming that all rock/ore don't respawn but I could be wrong on that too.

Trees do not seem to respawn - "saplings" will grow but never seem to mature, so you'll need to plan them yourself. If they do its on an extremely long timescale. Items on the ground like rocks, flint and branches do respawn, presumably on the same 4 hour timer that shrooms etc do.

Ores and larger map features (like the large rocks in the ground) do not respawn.