Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Inzombiac posted:

Well, killed the first boss while wearing nothing but the starter tunic and using a little knife.

Game easy.

I had a big dumdum moment in the beginning and didn't realise the hammer was a building tool. So I just bruteforced Eikthyr with nothing but a stone axe, some berries and mushrooms and repeated respawning at the starting circle. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah parrying owns. Any hit on a staggering enemy is an automatic critical hit, so the smaller shields are great because they have a more generous parry window (I think).

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

We are absolutely not going to do this bullshit in this thread. There's an A/T thread on Norse Paganism (LINK) that is run by modern day practitioners who are very much anti-white supremacist and hate those fuckers as much as you or I do and it sucks that assholes are appropriating their religion and their traditions to spew hate. Please do not imply or hint that people liking the Viking survival game are Nazis.

Thank you. I'm not a practicing person or anything myself, but I think Norse mythology is cool, and it loving infuriates me that nazi scumfucks have latched onto it trying to appropriate it.

Not gonna say any more on this, just wanted to say thanks for stepping in.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 12, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't understand some people's impatience with climbing up the progression ladder. Yeah, it might take a couple days' game sessions to gather some materials for new poo poo, so what? This game is fantastic, I'm just glad it's gonna take a bit longer to get all the way through.

Didn't need to schlep back and forth a whole lot either, I just built a little compound in the Black Forest with like five or six copper deposits within a stone's throw from it, and ended up making it my main base for a good while. Wasn't a big deal to get enough bronze for a full array of upgraded gear from there. :shrug:

Tempora Mutantur posted:

similar note, carrying a hammer with 5 stone 2 wood for a campfire, you can get the Rested buff under any area that gives you the Sheltered buff (a rock overhang, even a Burial Chamber entrance) and if you carry 5 stone 14 wood, you can get the Rested buff anywhere (campfire outside -> workbench -> put the roof above where you sit for a shelter bonus -> disassemble workbench). Comfort only boosts the Rested buff duration, not the effect.

You don't even need the sheltered condition, you can simply just make a campfire and sit down by it for a comfort level 1 rest. As long as it's not raining, at least.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 23, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well that was funny.

I just started building a new base. The spot is very idyllic: One of those circles of five big standing stones in the meadows, right on the shore of a small lake, between two little brooks running into said lake. This position proved serendipitous when (monster attack spoilers) I came under attack by freaking surtlings. Turns out they really, really can't handle water. Meaning, it loving kills them. I just stood on top of my unfinished wall and watched as they all waded into one of the brooks and went *poof*. Then one lone surtling came in from inland, hurled a single fireball into a corner beam, and hosed off. Thanks for the free cores and coal I guess? :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
One of my favourite little silly things in this game is how you can, very easily, just basically ninjarun up a sheer cliff wall by just running into it and spamming the jump button fast enough.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Azhais posted:

Toss the whole Amon Amarth discography in there too

I mean they even had an Amon Amarth song in one of the trailers, so hell yeah.

Also, Turisas. They have this cheesy "vikings on Broadway" sound, but the game is a whole lot of fantasy nonsense as well so it's a great fit.

Starting with this track just as you set sail in the longship is just epic as poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RNeJhJfCkk

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Major Isoor posted:

Well, if we're still map-posting, here's my current map:

That map looks pretty dope, with that central lake and all those waterways branching out from it. I bet that makes for some interesting terrain.

Anyways, screenshot dump time.

Here's a map of the core area of what I've discovered:

(I have no idea why I keep going back and forth between Finnish and English with the map marker titles)

- Fort Dorkus is my first homebase. It's just a basic shack in the middle of a circle of five standing stones, with a stake wall between the stones.
- poo poo Islet is a tiny meadows island connected to the Black Forest by a narrow isthmus. I was gonna build a bigger base there but later abandoned the idea so it, too, is just a tiny shack and a crafting station, with a stake wall across the isthmus (which doesn't even work because things just swam around it).
- Cabin is named such because I originally intended for it to be just that, but I ended up making it my main base for a good while and just never came up with a name for it. It's a very cozy place and I kinda miss it:

Sadly, it was in the middle of nowhere so I moved to Far Point, which is on another little islet, right at the intersection of Meadows, a little patch of Black Forest, and the Swamp (unfortunately the neaby mountain turned out to be too small to contain anything of interest).

It was originally one of those ruined towers, but after my attempts at "refurbishing" looked like total rear end, I ended up basically tearing it all down and building from scratch. I was gonna make the yard all pretty and everything at some point, but then I found an even better place for a home:

Big Home (I'm not putting much thought into these names, in case you couldn't tell) is, in a satisfying nod to my humble beginnings, in another of those circles of five standing stones, on the shore of a pretty little meadows lake, just a short trip away from some plains, and I even dug a canal from the bay in the south into the lake, for sea access to haul in silver from the nearby mountain. The lake is pretty cramped for a longship, but it works after I took a pickaxe to the shallower parts of the shore. The place is still very much under construction, but I'm pretty satisfied with the early stages. Gonna try to make this one a bit more ornate, too.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Lucas Archer posted:

My brother gifted me this game this morning. Any before I play type tips?

Just based on my own blind fumbling in the beginning:

- Craft the hammer asap. It's the tool you use for building things. I somehow managed to miss this and was a bit confused for a while.
- You can repair items at the workbench. Just mash the hammer icon sticking out of the build menu on the right. I somehow didn't find this for my first 12 hours.
- You can eat different foods and the effects stack. i.e. You can't eat two raspberries at once, but you can eat a raspberry and a mushroom.
- Trees live on Viking blood.

Beyond that, have fun discovering and exploring!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

sinburger posted:

Chuck unwanted items outside of the radius of any workbench and they will eventually despawn.

People keep saying this, but I feel like the distance needed is longer than this, or the system is more complex. We had a trash pit in my co-op group's first base, which was a few meters outside of any workbench radius, and stuff in there just wouldn't despawn.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BrianRx posted:

Before I shelve it though, I'd like to see the longboat. Am I close if I'm (reasonably) comfortable in the swamp biome?

Closer than you think. Try crafting some iron nails. :)

efb, but good addition below, I forgot about the bark.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I think Eikthyr is heavily weighted to be very close to the start location. I've personally played in three worlds so far and seen multiple streamers starting the game out, and have never seen the altar be further than like one minute on foot away.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
250 hours in this game and I finally found out that even just an unupgraded bronze buckler is enough to parry trolls. The unarmed ones, at least. And with them being weak to piercing damage, a buckler and bronze spear just fucks them the gently caress up.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vanadium posted:

spears remain very mildly relevant in that they cost much less metal than the other weapons, but they're really not competitive in killing poo poo.
They really are though.

I have three different characters I've been playing in different worlds. Been mostly using swords and maces with the first two, but with the third one I've been mostly using a spear, and just wrecking poo poo.
Spears attack significantly faster than the other weapons, while the damage per hit is similar. This translates to getting more hits in on staggering enemies before they recover, as well as staggering enemies easier from just the repeated hits. The tradeoff is that they don't have the wide attack arc, but they can still hit more than one enemy if they're clumped up. We're at the swamp tier in this world now, and my ancient bark spear absolutely melts Draugrs.

Yes, their attack animation is silly and makes it easy to miss things (can't hit corpse piles at all, lol), but practice will help with that. The main downside is probably that they don't have that high damage secondary attack (and the throw is only marginally useful), but spears are still a perfectly viable weapon choice.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
A note about shields:

The iron banded shield is actually not a dramatic upgrade over the bronze buckler. This is because the buckler has a parry bonus of 2x. This means its effective block power is double for parries, while the banded shield's parry bonus is only 1.5x, making the two roughly equal in parry ability. The banded shield does still have the advantage of being more solid for static blocking, and more importantly looking like a proper Viking shield instead of some bronze age relic, but in practice it's not a critical difference.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, you can't upgrade trollhide past level 2 without a certain mountains tier resource, which is needed for the required workbench upgrade. I'm pretty decent at the whole parry thing and found that skipping bronze armour is easy enough, but past that? Nah, make that iron poo poo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

OwlFancier posted:

How does the armour calc work? Seems like it's sort of like new vegas style damage threshold, where it works better on lower damage attacks.

From what I read: If an incoming attack's damage is more than double your armor value, it "penetrates" in which case it simply subtracts your armor value from the damage. If the damage is less than that, it uses some more complex equation that I can't remember specifically.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

xzzy posted:

The swamp has a good source of surtling cores too.

Well "good" might be overstating it because you have to stand around and watch but it's low effort.

I already had more cores than I know what to do with, but while I was running around clearing some crypts, I dug out a couple surtling deathtraps around my outpost just for funsies. And honestly, I feel like this was definitely worth it just for all that coal. Gonna save me a loving ton of wood when I can just quickly pop over through the portal and grab a good few dozen lumps in half a minute.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I used a cart on my last silver mining trip. I built the cart at my mountain tower camp, loaded all the ore into it and kicked it down the cliffside. Took only like a minute of searching to find the cargo crates scattered around at the bottom after the cart disintegrated.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zwabu posted:

Can animal attacks be parried or blocked with a shield?

What's the secret to parrying a troll attack? I tried it a few times but I can't seem to get the timing right and then I have to run for my life after he smashes me.

Animal attacks can be parried yeah. For wolves it can be tricky due to how quick they are, but they stagger for a really long time, so learning to parry them is absolutely worth it. You can use their growls to help with the timing, by hitting block right at the tail end of the "rargh"

With trolls, it depends on if they're armed or not. With the punchy ones you can block pretty much instantly after their windup, while the ones armed with a log swing slower so you ought to wait a split second. I don't know if the first wooden round shield is strong enough to parry them; probably not. But the bronze buckler should be, at least with some skill and an upgrade or two.

EDIT: Amended some stuff after refreshing my memory with a troll encounter.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 8, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

genericnick posted:

Ah, yeah. The bloodbags for the frost mead make it clear. Forgot about those.

Be sarcastic all you want, the frost mead recipe has in fact pointed plenty of people in the right direction.

EDIT: And if you weren't being sarcastic, then feel free to ignore this.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

PittTheElder posted:

I tried the Fang spear today, and I don't see it? The melee attack is all single target as far as I can tell? That's no good

They don't have the wide swings of swords and maces, but you can still hit two adjacent enemies with one jab. And their damage output is huge thanks to the quick attack speed.

Of course, if your spear skill is zilch then yeah it's not gonna feel all that impressive at first if you switch late. But I've been using spears since the beginning with my third character and they're loving amazing. And I am saying this after extensive first hand experience with other weapons on my other two characters.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This latest world I've been playing on is a really cool seed, I haven't had to build any new bases after my first one. The bosses have spawned quite far, but resources have been very plentiful in close proximity. Quick sailing trip across a bay let me grab a bunch of copper close to the shore, and just a bit further from there was a swamp with plenty of crypts. A similar distance in another direction is an island with an enormous mountain that has over twenty silver deposits, and just a narrow strip of black forest between it and the sea. Only hurdle is I built kinda far from the shore and pretty high up from sea level, so carting the stuff from the boat is a bit of a chore. But it's not too bad, it's not THAT long of a trip.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I already have 370 hours in this game and haven't even beaten Moder yet. :shepface:

I have:
1) My solo world,
2) A co-op world with some IRL friends, where we share everything and have a common base and just generally play very much as a group, and
3) A dedicated server with some online friends, which is a much more loosely communal deal where we mostly putz around separately in our respective bases and occasionally team up for a boss fight or mining expedition etc.

I'm up to comfortably exploring the mountains in each map, but either haven't gotten around to fighting Moder yet or haven't found the altar.

Still not nearly burnt out on this game, but I no longer feel the need to fill my every waking hour with it. :v: Pretty sure I still have plenty of Valheim hours left in me, even before any updates.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The funny part is, they could have just hit the "take all" button, and re-equipped all their stuff at leisure, because the "Corpse Run" buff from clearing your gravestone gives a massive damage resistane boost for a full minute. :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

OwlFancier posted:

If your corpse can fit in your inventory, both slot and weight wise, you just touch the gravestone and you get the poo poo. If it can't, such as if you were wearing the lifting belt and your corpse inventory weighs more than you can normally carry, it brings up a dialogue.

That is correct, hence my mention of the "take all" button. Won't matter that you'll be encumbered at first, because due to the buff you can just stand there and take a few hits while you equip your belt and armor and get moving.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

genericnick posted:

What the. The flying crystal attack killed me in one hit. I had time to chuck out two stone piles and that was it.

Hm, now that you mention that, I do believe that the buff only applies to physical damage. So yeah the frost damage would still gently caress you up I suppose.

EDIT: Actually no, wait: You only get the buff once your gravestone breaks. So if you were still in the inventory screen trying to sort poo poo out manually, you wouldn't have the buff yet.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 12, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, while we're on the topic of damage types and stupid deaths:

I was sailing along a coastline, just chilling and filling out my map a bit. Happened by a swamp. No big deal, swamps are whatever at this point.
Except suddenly, there was a loving drake out of nowhere. A drake, in the swamp. Where it rains all the time, so I was wet. Which not only cancels out your frost resistance but makes you weak vs. frost damage to boot. So before I even finished my thought of "wtf is a drake doing here", it loving one-shot me from 100+ hitpoints.

I'm not even mad, that was loving hilarious. (I might be a little bit mad had there not luckily been a portal nearby.)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

mastershakeman posted:

poison mead is a bitch to always have at the ready

??? No, it's really not. It takes very basic ingredients and one batch brews a full hour's worth of doses. It's trivial to have on hand anytime you venture into the swamp.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

pik_d posted:

Are Queen's Jam and Carrot Soup the best foods I can make from just Meadows/Black Forest biomes? I have to travel to other islands to get to the Swamp but I wanna make sure I've done everything I can here. I have some minor meads as well.

Yeah pretty much. The jam is equal to cooked meat, just has a different health/stamina ratio. So meat + jam + carrot soup is pretty much the top combo of meadows/forest tier food.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Blobs you can just shoot with arrows while backpedaling
Or you can just drink poison resistance mead and whack them with a mace which is actually even less effort.

EDIT: Oh oops, I hadn't refreshed the page. Oh well, it's still true.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

xzzy posted:

Once you learn their patterns you don't even need the poison resistance, you can get the heavy attack before they fart their little clouds.

True, and I do that sometimes, but if I'm gonna spend more time in the swamp than just passing through, I'll usually pop a mead anyway just in case.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

boloney posted:

jesus maybe they don't want to work that hard.

Yeah, I feel like it ultimately boils down to this. They have absolutely zero need, let alone obligation, to be working at maximum effort to churn out as much more content as possible to MAXIMIZE PROFITS or whatever. But that doesn't mean they're gonna drop it. This game is clearly a labour of love, and they're free to work on it at whatever pace they're comfortable with.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

No one is saying the game isn't worth $20. Not one person has made that claim in this entire thread. So when someone rightfully points out that the game is unfinished, i.e multiple empty biomes and a placeholder item from the final boss, "why are you complaining, this game is $20?" isn't really addressing the point being made, at all.

It's a great game- maybe the game of the year. At $20 it's an insane value. That doesn't mean people can't express disappointment at the huge revenue not translating to a reasonably speedy completion of the game, or the addition of any substantive content at all.

Neither is anyone saying that the game isn't unfinished, nor that we wouldn't love to have more content already. I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread would be happy to already have a finished new biome to play in.

The problem is when people start acting like whiny pissbabies about it, and doomsaying poo poo like "Ohhh we've heard nothing in so many months, obviously this game is dead and abandoned, hurr blurr", and don't understand that game development is some really complex poo poo and you can't just magically transform money into content immediately. They've already hired more devs (who, by the way, don't grow on trees, especially when your company is based in a small town in Sweden and there's a dangerous pandemic going on), I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be doing that if they were planning on abandoning the game.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bioshuffle posted:

What are some QoL changes you'd like to see?

I'd love some kind of item filter thing, that lets me set certain things as "do not automatically pick up". Having to constantly clean my inventory of some useless bone fragments and dandelions and whatever gets pretty old.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Oh sweet, thanks. :cheers:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ravenfood posted:

Exactly. Cores could use a later-game use and that was one thought. Or just make them brighter so I can stick them on stands like I did with yellow mushrooms.

I could see using surtling cores as special fuel for smelters and blast furnaces that makes them work much faster. Feeling impatient and want those 10 iron now? Just pop a core in there and get them three times as fast! Or something like that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
That does look different, yeah.

As for the food vs. inventory space thing, it's not gonna matter. I'll decide which three foods I'm gonna go with for the moment, and then I'll carry stacks of those. Same as before.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I like the new cartography table. For one, because it's a neat and immersive way to share your map data with your buddies.

And also because it works almost exactly like I envisioned it, when I sent a suggestion to the devs via the in-game feedback thing way back in February or March, like "Would be cool if we could share map data, here's a spitballed idea how it could work." I even called it "cartography table" in my message.

Now, it's entirely possible that the devs came up with it on their own, instead of prompted by my suggestion. It's a pretty logical way to implement a widely requested feature. But it's still a nice thought, that a game played by millions of people has my idea in it. :unsmith:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I would absolutely loving not go into the mountains without full iron armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"Oh, I'm not really ready for the swamps yet, but I'll just quickly jump onto that tiny little swampy islet while sailing past it and cheekily grab some ancient bark, it'll be fine."

It was not fine.