Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do you guys build right by the altar first or do you look for like, a riverside spot for a likely location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Warbird posted:

Not a problem. Be advised that I have to make a couple of tweaks to that document based off of feedback so feel free to ask any questions here or PM me if clarifications are needed.

Question: my friends are currently playing on one dude's server but is it possible to take his world file and have it uploaded to a VM 95 whatever?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, our community is building some real cool poo poo and I'm going to be upset when big updates make world saves incompatible

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Flater posted:

I don't understand, that's part of the game, you're playing it. The whole game is built around making you have to go on expeditions for resources, it's supposed to be an effort so it's satisfying.

I think this is why I'm loving this game more than its ilk. Building out road systems and digging out a canal felt real great when they made supply runs so much easier, and yeah, I get in the mood to build the occasional outpost or dock as waystations, and sometimes these develop even more if they become important due to nearby resources. It's like I'm actually building a civilization, plank by plank.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can we feed boars with carrots, or do we need to forage for berries and poo poo to tame them?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Badass. Gonna turn my personal home into a boar ranch. Turns out having like 5 people in a server means you churn through your meat supplies quickly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For people using mods, does everyone have to have the same set of mods as the host? There's some real useful stuff already out.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there really no other way to harvest iron than to dig around the swamps and crypts?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, there's some stuff you'll want to ignore eventually. Now that's a feature I want in the game, a way to get rid of all these loving Greydwarf eyes automatically.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Floppychop posted:

I have a "head pit" that I throw all greydwarf eyes and trophies that don't serve a purpose.

But yeah, the game should have a delete item option. Stuff like burned out torches and flint axes also don't need to be immortal.

Same actually, but when idiot greydorfs wander into your base and die and leave their bullshit behind every few minutes, the trash tends to build up for no good purpose. Auto-delete or specific item pickup bans sounds good.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Your attack hitbox failing to account for slopes is a real motherfucker against wolves in the mountains, I tell you what.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it me or does it feel not worth upgrading your items at all, at least in the context of the material costs? Considering that a maxed out item is only equivalent to a base level of the next tier, it feels like you're better off toughing it out.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, troll armor is probably what I would invest upgrades for since the material is easy to get compared to the sheer amount of bronze you'd need. Everything else is like, an expedition into very dangerous territory and moving the material en masse needs a road and a cart most likely

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
As much as I hate the goddamn swamps, they're the best area for exemplifying what makes this game stand out to me: conquer the terrain, conquer the area. Flatten that land and make coherent routes from your base to the crypts, and so much of the bullshit gets significantly easier.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd be happier if iron veins spawned in the mountains, so you can keep getting it there and only have to go back to swamps for entrails and bloodbags. The fauna in the mountains is already extremely dangerous to anyone not wearing iron at minimum anyway.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also I think golems should drop copper, tin, and iron so they become more farmable for post-bonemass.

Oh that's brilliant

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Kinda, but special attacks can and will occur in any base. Had a pack of trolls show up in our spawn base one time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do like how modders have already come up with nice common sense improvements, such as crafting tables pulling resources from nearby chests, crafting tables radius improving with level of the table, automatically replanting crops you harvest and this nice looking one that adds a equipped inventory that would fix my annoyance at a ever-shrinking inventory as you get more stuff to wear.

Any experience using the dedicated equipment slots mod in a dedicated server with other players that don't use mods? I want to use it but I think it may be a bit beyond the pale for the convenience mods I use.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Next time I go sailing for another loving swamp, I'm only settling in a neighboring black forest too. I don't even want to think about the process of securing another swamp beachhead, and if there's no black forest biome on the island then it can gently caress off forever

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah but I have a compulsive need to make nice little shelters that inevitably grow into outposts with a defensive perimeter

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd honestly like an excuse to use swords but piercing damage being key against trolls and blunt for undead is just enough weapon and skill slots for me to cover.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah, I rock the silver tier hammer and it owns bones, quite literally. Just that Vikings and swords are a natural pair and all

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gimme more carrot recipes. poo poo's obsolete once turnips are a thing

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Carrot soup isn't poo poo compared to turnip stew though, and honestly hunting deer is significantly more efficient than foraging mushrooms, which are also usually used for mead. And turnip stew only needs a single piece of meat too, the returns are wild.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

For some reason it's absurdly hard to find an answer to this on any of the many slide-show Valheim building gudes out there: do you need to have beams supporting your buildings to keep them structurally sound? How much of a different does this make?

IIRC beams (and eventually log poles and iron reinforced poles) matter a lot because the support system counts 5 pieces from a foundation, and the poles in particular are efficient because they're a single piece that covers the length of two of the longest wood beam piece. Could be wrong on this though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I had this sad revelation that boar farming isn't worth the fuss unless you get a 1/2 star boar in. The basic boar doesn't even guarantee a meat drop, smdh

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Coasted on wooden arrows for a while, flint arrows are a good way to use up your stock once it becomes quickly irrelevant, obsidian arrows are easy to make once you hit mountain. Lol if I'm spending precious metal on arrows tho

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mean you unlock recipes by having a material in your inventory, and this is clearly taught to you at the very beginning of the game when you start bashing trees and inevitable bash creatures for meat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
poo poo, if anything I'd have the dragon eggs be both unteleportable and only haulable through carts. A lot of the fun is carving your way through mountains, forests, and whatever in order to get X to Y.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It would definitely make building a portal nexus easier instead of having to create a massive hall to contain every one we have active.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A way to get minor creeps to gently caress off permanently would be great, yeah. Now that's actual tedium to me, I don't mind corpse runs or transporting metal the rough way since that's part of the game, but when creeps are basically tickling you then they're legit wasting your time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
We did a canal for our base, and TBH after a bit of scouting on the other end, it wasn't actually that necessary lol. Probably just another 5 mins sailing right by black forest to get to the other side, so it's not even dangerous. Looks cool as gently caress tho

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just make sure to do it in shallow waters

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Not gonna get caught with my pants down and 25 max health when a raid suddenly comes a-knocking

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yes, and I'm pretty sure skill gains slow down considerably around 30-50 so losing skills kinda legit hurts

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Swamps needing to have crypts (which then have a variable amount of iron in them) to even be worth delving into is the issue, IMO. Most Black Forest biomes I've seen are very generous with copper and tin; I can't say the same for swamps and that's not good when iron is probably the most widely used metal in the game. Like I mentioned before, it's probably best to have like guaranteed iron veins or whatever in the mountains so that you can have multiple reliable sources to consider.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also those veins have poo poo amounts of ore. Even a bad crypt has way more than multiple swamp veins combined

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You use carts when you can't take boats, you know, just like IRL. Sometimes the terrain doesn't work out and instead you have to build an outpost inland to access, like, a mountain biome.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If you're playing solo then you could probably coast on not mining poo poo out completely. That said, I played in a group and a cart was important for moving enough metal for everyone to gear up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I prep roads. It's rough at times but it's honest work and pays off when I can take a cart into the forest or whatever to clear-cut a patch of the woods and take it home for whatever building project I got in mind.

That said, an upgraded cart that functioned as a mobile workshop/stonecutter/forge would kick so much rear end.