Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Finally found a swamp on our server, but it turns out it's tiny. It's amazing for food of course, but aside from a temple looking thing submerged in the water, there seems to be no iron around at all? Any suggestions on how to find more, or do I just hop in the Karve and sail around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sab Sabbington posted:

But for finding more swamps, it's sailing time

about the temple though, is it supposed to be completely submerged? Like there's no way to enter it, the only thing above water are four torches. Though upon further inspection it might not be a sunken whatever at all, maybe just a bunch of torches around a runestone?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of, what are the rules for where monsters spawn? We had a nice palisade up around our complex but then three trolls spawned in the garden...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's especially bad when you have like 8 people playing on a server. It's taken expeditions and whole secondary industrial areas just to get everyone kitted out with axes and pickaxes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I'm completely unwilling to use armor that reduces move speed, since it's pretty easy to side step/dodge/block enemy attacks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I've gotten pretty comfortable just running up and axeing them to death too, but you need a good shield and food for that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, you're sushi base reminded me, how the gently caress do you catch fish? I've grabbed some that were just sitting on the shore before, and somebody said they managed to snatch some out of the water, but even when I can get them to come close to me (close enough that the UI says Fish when I look at them) I can't grab them?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

On one hand I hate how much wood you need to make coal to smelt metal.

On the other hand I love the realism of needing an enormous amount of wood to make charcoal to smelt metal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There's no way to plant Birch trees for renewable sources of Fine Wood, correct?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Not outside of just exploring, no.

If your island lacks a Black Forest entirely, you should relocate to one that has both a Forest and Meadows and just build a new base there. Rafts are so stupid and it's not worth spending time on them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There are fixed spawn locations (for greydwarfs it's the big purple clouds you'll see in the Black Forests), but also that's just the nature of the Black Forest at night.

Getting a bed up ASAP and sleeping through the night is a good idea. A ditch and palisade eventually made my Black Forest base 100% tranquil.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah spoiler that poo poo jesus christ

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What are you eating for food then? Sausages and...?

I did not realize stamina capped out like that

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Not sure what you mean by 'capping out'; higher tier foods do give more stamina, and Tasty mead is highly effective regen in time critical situations.
Oh I was going purely off this statement:

Ambaire posted:

Queen's Jam is a tempting early game craft, but I deeply regret making ~30 of it, as Tasty Mead uses the same materials and is really useful once 8+ stamina segments are reliably obtained.

But maybe I interpreted it wrong and it doesn't actually cap.

We just found the trader (and thus reliable fish access), so I guess I'll aim for Sausage, Turnip Stew, Fish.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh also, do servers automatically update themselves? I would guess the answer is actually It Depends, but I was playing on a friend's server, but as of the update this morning I can't connect anymore.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

xzzy posted:

Paid servers probably have a mechanism to self-update, or at least a simple admin button to do it, but anyone running a private server on their own hardware will need something scripted (a cron job or something) to do the update.

But otherwise, no, it does not update itself.

Cool, makes sense. Mostly just looking for validation that I wasn't crazy and missing something dumb on my end.

E: there's no way to roll back versions right? I went to check the betas tab in Steam but there was nothing there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Notice there is a single swamp on both of these islands, and it's right next to some plains, and as far as I can tell that single swamp has no dungeons at all. How am I supposed to progress? Just hop in my boat, choose a direction and hope to find another island?

Yup! There's lots of land out there, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding more areas to explore.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah press E to check on the hive, if all is well it'll say the bees are happy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CRAYON posted:

i guess i havent but i just assumed we were the bad guys

Yeah I got the distinct impression whoever brought us into this afterlife did so to try and gently caress it all up using us as tools.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

xzzy posted:

You can get decent cones if you're okay with the existing pieces overlapping a lot.

The bigger issue to me is snapping supports to the edges without stuff clipping through, it can be done but it's even more fussy than getting curves. (which I had not yet done in this screenshot)

That is a nice tower

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah def grab a lot of thistle, it's very light and very useful.

Also just in case people don't know, you can hold shift to disable the snapping.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

^^^ Looks like harpoon time to me

Also the Bonemass sure is a dick. Our whole party of like 8 people went to go try and fight him tonight, and he repeatedly killed most of us while we never got him below 30% health. Anyone have tips on fighting that guy?

Possible mistakes we made were:
  • Bringing along 3-4 people with only arrows rather than maces, and who's supply of frost/flame arrows ran out like halfway through the fight. Bosses scale with number of people present, correct?
  • Running in troll hides and shields rather than in proper armor, which normally works great but does not work at all when oozes and Draugrs are teleporting all over the place due to what I gather is pretty terrible netcode.
  • Not having enough poison resist potions; we thought we had plenty but the fight dragged on for far longer than we expected.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can make a little hut in the mountains too

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Clitch posted:

Okay, Devs.

Either make roof tiles not bullshit to walk on, or nerf fall damage. I'm tired of losing skills while trying to build my house.

Putting temporary floor segments on the outside edges helps a lot

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Swamp can be done almost entirely with stuff portalled in, you just need to cruise a longship over at the end to pick up your metals.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Swamps get trivialized if you use the hoe and a cart. Making a path through the swamp means no more stupid leeches and slowdowns. Now, the biggest hurdle to get iron out is the fact that my pickaxe keeps breaking.

Yeah this is what I did (to the point of even raising terrain) and man it got so much more pleasant.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Taffer posted:

please explain

poo poo's complicated https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forces_on_sails

Taffer posted:

Even after you get the wishbone, finding deposits is slow and they net you ~6 iron, while being super tedious to mine out due to the water level. Finding a large swamp with more than 2 crypts takes a huge amount of exploring, and even then you often get duds. After weeks of playthrough on a group server we've only found 2 swamps with more than 2 crypts, and sometimes those crypts have literally zero iron in them. Of course sometimes you get lucky and find a crypt with 100+ iron, but that's rare, and given how much iron you need is still a pretty weak amount.

I mean that feels just like a situation where more exploration is called for. Our first swamp had exactly zero crypts in it, and we kept looking till we found one that had a bunch; in the end, 17. Those crypts once mined out have provided enough iron for 8 people. There is frankly no sense in using the wishbone to find iron, since it gives you so little. Just look for swamps using your Mk. 1 Eyeballs.

A Karve is plenty capable of hauling out a person, a portal, and even the supplies for a forge to make the tools right there if you don't want to dick around gathering them locally.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 1, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

pik_d posted:

Edit: also the boss fights can be done in multiple places, you're only shown the closest one. There's ways to see the other locations in game but I don't remember right now how.

For the Elder, just sail your boat in the other direction for a while , find a Black Forest, and hit up some burial grounds until you find another marker.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

More than anything I think I want this game to add a filter on what stuff your character will pick up at any given moment. Ore yes, rock no. Thistle yes, my 20 millionth greydwarf eye, no.

And related to that, is there some way to just delete items? The ol' Minecraft one square of lava trash can?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Safe and totally legal

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Don't ever make rafts, they're terrible. Get to bronze ASAP and build a real boat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

flashman posted:

It's enjoyable to have a sense of danger when you explore, which wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the corpse run. To die and simply respawn at base with your inventory would be terrible. Why ever set up forward bases or portals or whatever if you can just suicide and appear home with all your gathered loot.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Stalin posted:

How viable is it to find silver without killing the 3rd boss? Any tips or is it a waste of time?

Very viable.

The key is if you're survivable in the mountains basically. Veins sometimes poke out of the terrain, so you can just run around and look for them.

Alternatively just dig trenches. They don't need to be deep, 1 or 2 hits is fine. I've dug about 6 trenches and found silver in two of them. Then you draw about 70 ore per vein, which is enough for a lot of stuff.

That said, each new gear tier is pretty even with the fully upgraded previous tier stuff, so it may not be worth it for you if you already have fully upgraded iron. What's stopping you from mashing the mass?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So it turns out you can really cheese the boss fight that is fighting Bonemass.

We got one of our crew to harpoon him and drag him up a slope before he got pinned under a protruding copper deposit, and he just stared up at the harpoon guy doing nothing, while two of us wailed on him with maces from behind. He did his poison attack twice and that was it.

A question for people who are playing solo though: how long do your boss fights last? Ours took like 20+ minutes (which I know because it took three potions) which seems absurd. But that was with him spawned with 8 of us present, but killed with only two of us damaging him some time later.

causticBeet posted:

Is there any trick to finding crypts? Like with burial chambers in the Black Forest, you can generally tell they’re around by the presence of random skeletons. We have not been able to find one yet, and we’re definitely thirsty for it looking at the sweet iron tech (along with the insanely high resource costs, compared to bronze)

They're usually easy to spot, big black buildings, and usually lit up with green torches. And the resource costs aren't terrible, since it converts to ingots at 1:1, instead of 3:1 for bronze.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 2, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Doh004 posted:

I've just started getting iron. Any recommendations on which pieces to first upgrade to?

Also, my first swamp only seems to have 3 crypts. Is that enough or should I keep scouting for a more plentiful swamp?

Always shield first. Then probably sword and pickaxe. You'll need a mace too but not for a while.

Three is a bit thin, it'll get you most of the gear you'll want, but not all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you can if you're doing the Stargate portal address thing (i.e. using one portal and changing its tag to your destination portal) because the tag change visually takes effect before the actual connection, so you can change the tag from x to y -> walk through the portal now named y -> end up at the other end of portal x, but now the portal won't take you back because the original portal shifted from tag x to tag y (and since you already have two portals with the tag y in this scenario, congrats, you're boned and can't go back without running back)

this only happens if you IMMEDIATELY walk through the portal, waiting even like 5 seconds prevents it

This seems like a ridiculous way to avoid making a second portal

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So I just reached the plains for real, and we're starting to get a base going. Is there some way to repel deathsquitos or do you just have to put up with them showing up in the base periodically?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man just sneaking into the margins of the plains to poach Lox is so so worth it. Even the meat by itself rules.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I've been messing around with Frostner, and the debuff it applies to things is great, but what's the point of having a chain attack combo if the knockback pushes enemies out of range before the third big strike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TeaJay posted:

So far I would put it under "random". Also I haven't found a huge swamp island like that yet.

Finding a big swamp does seem to be the key. Especially thin strips of swamp seem to never have crypts.