Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing this on a 2-4 player group and it's been great fun. A nice atmosphere of exploration and building/busywork (in a positive sense) and combat is mostly there. For single player I've been just mainly trying my hand at building with mixed success.

Our co-op is currently at the phase of gathering iron from sunken crypts to make better gear and eventually find third boss Bonemass. His symbol is way further on the map we've been at, though. We also made a small foray into a mountain region to mainly find a bit of obsidian and some wolf pelts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

dogstile posted:

I'd fully recommend going into this game blind. Having to work out what things mean (HUNT HIS KIN, BURN THEIR CHILDREN, etc) and finding new things is all part of the fun.

I second this. It's been great doing exploration blind and going "WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT" when we find something new.

One of our greatest adventures was when we got a raft together and decided to go finding the new world across the ocean from our starting island (which was so large in the end we still haven't mapped all of it). Lo and behold, our ferryman said he spotted something like a tentacle on the horizon and we were like "Yeah right lol" and a moment later, the Sea serpent attacked us and we went HOLY poo poo! and ended up marooned on a small swamp island. Needless to say we were kinda ill prepared to fight skellies, draugrs, BLOBs and leeches and spent like an hour making it back to the island to gather our loot with the serpent attacking us constantly on the way back.

A great saga for the ages!

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 11, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Solefald posted:

What's folks most efficient way of keeping a fire lit during stormy weather? I am not that great at building so even when I build a fire pit indoors and build a way to ventilate the smoke, it goes out the second it rains.

Make a chimney and put a 26 degree roof piece on top of it to keep the rain out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Decided to set sail straight out into the ocean for once. Landed on some sort of plains area, got stung by a mosquito and died.

Sounds about the same experience we had with reaching Plains for the first time.

Currently we've pretty much managed to gather enough iron to make decent gear for 3 people and we're about to set hunting for the 3rd boss. Our server is ran by one friend, and in retrospect renting one might've been wise, but on the other hand if we want to solo we don't have to exhaust the resources on our joint world.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That 3rd boss can go gently caress himself and his neverending adds of blobs. We had probably the entirely wrong type of weapons for the fight but my Stagbreaker did some good damage ... when I was able to get close enough to hit him! Died a few times during the fight, once had to go and repair my hammer. It didn't help he spawned in a spot that was basically water everywhere which made the fight a complete nightmare. Eventually got him down when we figured out a strategy where each 3 hit him from, a different direction and kept bouncing the aggro while others hit his back.

Not a fun fight.

Iron is indeed somewhat of a grind, but we built a portal at the edge of the swamp on the shore and parked the boat there, since you can fit quite a lot in the longboat's storage. Fill it up and sail back once you got enough.

I absolutely love the seafaring in the game, the water and boating looks and feels so good.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 13, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Who knows? But it's 17 €, got surprising amount of content for an EA game (and more to come) and fun to play, so what's there to lose?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

So, what is This thing (spoiler!) for? It was a real pain getting it down from that mountaintop.

Please don't say something boring like "Summoning the fourth boss".

You can cook it and make an omelette ...

... ...

... ... ....

... sorry, it's for summoning the fourth boss

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Make a habit of making a map marker of where you die, just in case you die again on the way and the first marker despawns.

I wish there was a feature to share explored map with your friends. With different people online at different times, we all have different parts of the map explored and would like to share what we've found.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also we managed to find this island...

Got on to mine some barnacles, which turned out to be chitin, and it also turned out that it wasn't really an island when it roared and swam away from under us, leaving us almost drowning.

And if you were wondering on how to get some more guck, build platforms!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

He sucks big time. Blunt damage works best. Worst part of the fight were the endless adds and the fact that we were constantly in water thus stamina drain.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So I have two theories about the mystery man who keeps appearing and then vanishing: it's either Odin or the last boss who I suspect is some kind of Lich based on his stone image

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Last night I thought I'll go exploring a bit before going to bed to see if there's swamp biome on my personal starting island (we use a different one for group play) and to see how large the island was.

It took me a while to get back to my home hut and my Karve nearly got destroyed by the constant storms and I swear this guy had blue glowing eyes I've never seen before and was constantly trying to block my path.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One problem we've faced is more and more desync issues. Stone blocks outright disappearing, some things invisible for others and visible for others, disappearing items, teleporting enemies.. the more our world grows, the more these issues increase. It might be simply due to the fact that there is so much stuff lying around in the world and/or terraforming? It would probably be a good idea to occasionally clear the world of random stuff thrown away or allow us to destroy items.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

explosivo posted:

Oh yeah I accidentally buzzed the Plains while boatin around looking for a Swamp and almost got murdered and my boat sunk by loving mosquitoes. Is there a better way to deal with these things than shoot them with a bow? Are they less obnoxious with better gear than copper?

Well, the Plains is probably the endgame biome so far (?) so yeah you're supposed to be having better gear when you enter. I think the natural progression is silver by that point.

And yes Deathquitos will own you hard the first time you encounter them. After that you run away until you have better gear. Usually I try to block their attack and hit them wildly.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The snap is where your cursor is. If you line your cursor with the part you're trying to snap with, it becomes a lot easier instead of trying to fit the actual part in the empty space (if this makes any sense)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Zerilan posted:

There is indeed a cart you can drag heavy loads in.

I always found the cart impossible to navigate through thick forests while every critter around wants nothing more than to smack your cart. Ideally I guess you'd pave a road in there to speed things up, but I got enough to make a Karve (2nd boat) and sailed it next to a deposit and hauled it via waterways.

I also found the fishing impossible while a friend reels in fish by the dozens and tells me fish are just constantly swimming to his bait. I can't see any fish even approaching it. Do I need to turn some graphic setting off or is it just a matter of being a bad fisherman?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It seems pretty low. In all my time I've got 4, enough to make a helmet for myself and then another 2 when people already moved on to next tier helmet.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

In my game we've probably reached what endgame can give us, so we went looking for the last boss, and finally found a runestone marking his location and went for him straight away:

For our trouble we got a shiny PLACEHOLDER ITEM !

After that we went looking for what's on the edge of the world

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mrmcd posted:

You all are making me jealous with your beautiful, well designed houses, while I just kinda move between cobbled together shacks trying to scrounge up enough ore.

Let me invite you to a small tour around Haraldstad.

Here is the main building and a warehouse with the smelter and the kiln. (which barely fit inside)

The not-quite-so-long-house is comfortably cozy with the correct amenities although I'm having issues fitting all the upgrades in. So far I've been too lazy to make a new building for the forge and workbench.

The big house in our multiplayer was not built by me so I've enjoyed upgrading the small hut when needed.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Word of advice to any aspiring archers out there: Start shooting every single bird you see. You are going to need all those feathers at some point, and there aren't many other consistent methods of getting them.

It would be nice if they added something like bird nests you could loot feathers from. Sometimes it's really hard to find birds standing around and then arrows seem to go through some of them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I absolutely love the fact that in a reverse ARPG trope the toughest enemies in the game are goblins and mosquitoes.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Also, I cleared out my first crypt last night. Found a bunch of bones and cubes and gems. Another couple and I'll probably look into finding a seed with an easily accessible merchant.

If you are that early in your game, I'd say spend at least a bit of time making the Karve (2nd boat) and sailing around your starting island to look for him, most of the time I've heard people find him somewhere on the islands next to it (I did in my own and our MP server)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Any ideas why wall sconces sometimes randomly go out? They all have same amount of fuel, some locations on the walls just can't keep a sconce burning.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Echophonic posted:

Me and the boys finally knocked over Bonemass, went silver hunting, and now I have a fancy cape. drat it feels good to be a viking.

I'm the two handed weapons guy, iron battle axe and sledge so far. Shame there's no weapons for the upper tiers of material.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed there's no black metal 2-hand hammer/club. Hoping they will add some later on. I loved using the Stagbreaker and I love using Iron sledge, since it's good CC, but for fighting single, fast mobs like the Fuling bastards, it feels a bit too low on damage. Plus the parry is really good against them so I usually bust out my Mj... Frostnir and the shield.

Speaking about Fuling, in my solo world I wanted to set up a barley enterprise for some better foods (it takes so much barley for just one fish & chips or a blood pudding!) so I made a small base on section on the plains where I saw a few fuling villages. That turned out to be an island, but I managed to raid a few villages by taking it INCREDIBLY careful sniping them with a bow and then meleeing if a straggler managed to run to me. Needle arrows really work well there.

But once I made the mistake of going too close and the whole village aggroed me at once, maybe 7-8 of them and promptly wiped the floor with me, losing me again hours worth of skill progress. But from that trip I managed to get over 100+ barley so I'll at least now have enough to make some good foods. If only getting blueberries for jam was a bit easier and they spawned as much as raspberries!

PittTheElder posted:

about the temple though, is it supposed to be completely submerged? Like there's no way to enter it, the only thing above water are four torches. Though upon further inspection it might not be a sunken whatever at all, maybe just a bunch of torches around a runestone?

You should be able to tell, the sunken crypt is .. basically what it sounds like. A small temple leading underground. You'll need the swamp key to open it, so keep it with you.

Unfortunately getting those seems to be completely up to luck, even a bigger swamp on my solo map only had one of those and I haven't found any other big swamp location yet. Keep sailing, I think the rule of thumb is that the bigger the swamp is, the more likely it's gonna be to have crypts. Those small coastal swamps IMO don't seem to have crypts (at least on my maps). A good idea doing this kinda exploration is to make one end portal to your base and then keep ingredients for another with you so you can always get one done if you manage to find yourself in some swamp halfway across the world.

Later on when you beat boss 3 (Bonemass) you'll get an item which shows you underground silver veins in the mountains but can also be used to dig up iron from the ground in the swamps without going to crypts.

The crypts are where it's at, though. It's not uncommon to find a chest filled with like 20 iron scraps or plenty of dig opportunities in one crypt. Just gotta be lucky to find 'em!

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 23, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My map is a big island so far although the southern part turned out to be a separate small island bordered by an inland lake. Haven't managed to find a good source of crypts yet either, but I accidentally discovered the Bonemass altar.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wish they had the map position setting when I was playing, every time someone logs on or visit another instance it's constantly "hey turn your marker on"

And I do agree that Moder and Yagluth fights were kind of anticlimactic, dunno if I want to do them again though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

isaboo posted:

Speaking of chests do larger ones become craftable later?

They do indeed and use iron and fine wood as materials

Regarding boats disappearing, I think the random passersby tend to attack them. I dunno if you need to be around for it to happen, though. I haven't bothered building a fence surrounding my area so I hope they won't hack my longboat to pieces.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 28, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Lima posted:

I feel like my seed is pretty awesome, at least for the first three bosses, so here it is: 9a6xEFJmfb

That's a lot of crypts. So far I've found one on my personal map. On our multiplayer map it looked more like yours.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So far I would put it under "random". Also I haven't found a huge swamp island like that yet.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Finding a big swamp does seem to be the key. Especially thin strips of swamp seem to never have crypts.

Well, as soon as I wrote that, I went exploring and came across this nice strip of swamp:

The first crypt alone netted me about 100 scrap iron! I know all crypts aren't as big, but still those crypts should last me a while. That swamp is pretty small though and bordered by some pretty menacing fuling villages. Maybe there's barley there...

My map is basically one really big island with everything except swamp. No shortage of silver here.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

xzzy posted:

It's probably some hilarious swedish joke.

I hope eating "neck tails" is a joke too because it definitely amuses me.

I don't know about tails but a neck/näck is a mythological creature (in finnish 'näkki') which is told to lurk around waters and grab unaware people. Sometimes depicted as a humanoid, sometimes more monstrous lizard/animal form. I was kinda hoping they'd add some kind of big neck king to fight since the ones in-game are not quite as dangerous as the folklore would have you believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixie_(water_spirit)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

I know the game has a procedural generated map, but I am confused about how it works with multiplayer. Do we each get our own islands and they can come visit whenever they want? Do we all share the same island?

You can make multiple maps and play the same character on any of them. So you can have a seed and each of your friends can have their own and all join on the same one you want to play together on.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

I need more stories. What is the most harrowing thing you've lived through? Tell me about the time trolls destroyed your base. I really love all the stories you get from playing the game.

The first time me and my friends left our island was on a raft, and we went off on the ocean looking for the Elder, which was some ways from our base.

Then we ran into some troubles

Mind you, we all played completely blind, and one of us just casually said "Hey, I thought I saw something over the waves?" and we just laughed at him, "Yeah, right!"

Then the serpent appeared in the middle of a storm and we nearly crapped our pants. "I told you I saw something!!!1" he said.

We managed to shipwreck over a small swamp island which turned out to be quite a bit tougher than we expected. The poison, leeches, blobs, draugrs and skeletons made quick work of my friends, but I miraculously managed to survive and stayed there until they managed to build a new raft and sail to my rescue. On the second go another one of us died, so we ended up building a portal on the edge of the island (which turned out to be just a small cape edging out to a black forest island) and ran for our stuff from there.

Needless to say, taught us some respect towards the swamp biome!

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 23, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

A lot of my friends are whining about melee combat being horrible now. Any opinions so far?

I find melee combat mostly the same as before but then again I haven't fought against Fulings or other tough opponents yet.

I started the game the first time since January and am a bit confused again having to remember what does what.. one of the problems is that my friend hosted our joined world and basically my own is a small shack - albeit with all the necessary amenities - but not much grandeur. For example, there was no way of getting rid of this mound here, and now it's inside my house - I just can't level it no matter what I do.

It's mostly because I completely suck at every kind of house crafting in any games. In Conan Exiles my friends built elaborate palaces filled with imaginative designs whereas I could maybe build a square wooden hut.

The cartography table will be a nice update for sure. Anyone can tell me how to work the stone oven? I assume it's for making bread and pies since those recipes were removed from the cauldron, but I can't figure how to make 'em. The food system seems a bit more complicated, I figured out how to make some ice cream but haven't found any other new foods that give you lots of stamina.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 16, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah after a night of playing, the stamina nerf felt really brutal. Even with previously made good endgame foods you run out immediately. To the point it's not really challenging, more unfun and sluggish.

Don't think this update will have enough for our group to come back and start a new game especially if the food/stamina system is gonna be like this.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This is what my map looks like. I've been playing on my old save to check out the new stuff (and pick axe got rid of that hump, thanks). Are any of the plains spots I have found suitable for finding tar, or does it simply have to be a plains biome I completely haven't even discovered yet?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I managed to find tar on the southernmost side where there's a lot of crypts and plains starting south of the swamp. Those drat growths were dangerous! Some loxes made short work of them, though. Then I almost drowned in the tar while collecting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I must be a special case or something but me and my group played through the existing content and now I've continued to dabble a bit in my own world, and none of us felt the need to use any mods.

I do know that one thing we wished was there was that you could share explored map with friends, and now there is the cartography table for that for our next run through (not enough content yet to warrant a re-start with multiple people).