Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've been playing this with a squad of irl friends and it's real fun. We're looking at taking on the third boss sometime tonight. Can't wait to die a whole lot because if the difficulty curve from the first two bosses is anything to go by this one is gonna be a doozy

edit: My only real complaints so far is you can't favorite servers in-game and can't destroy ALL THESE loving GREYDWARF EYES :rubshands:

We have bases built all over the map and like every other chest you open oh look there's another greydwarf eye

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

Well, I beat the third boss, honestly wasn't that bad when I came properly prepared. Now to go suffer in some nicer looking terrain.

Our group just beat it as well: We came with shitloads of needle arrows and oh woops turns out that does like no damage to him. We then broke into two groups where one group just tried to stay alive while the second group sailed back, made a bunch of iron maces, poison resistance spells, and a portal, and sailed back to us. We then zerg rushed it and beat him to death.

God this game is :black101: as gently caress

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KingKapalone posted:

Finally found the runestone that showed us the second boss. The rune was in an area we didn't think could be Forest and the boss was on another big land mass which we didn't know existed north of the starting stone ring.

I just found some Meadows across since water South of the recently discovered Swamp too. Things sure aren't continuous.

Saw the forward base talk. Seems like our first base in the middle of Meadows should never have any metal at it. We built a mining camp but scorched everything around it so we made another far away. Should probably get all the metal from that first camp and sail it down to the new one. No reason to have 2 bronze bars in one area and 3 in another since you can't make anything that way.

Eventually you'll find a spot that's at a nice intersection between many different biomes if not all of them. That's where we built our outpost that eventually became our permanent base of operations.

It's weird when I go back to our original base in the meadow now. Everything is dark and cold

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

The silver grind in the mountains is definitely real (at least for gear, doesn't seem to be required as much for building materials or tools), but it's way more fun running around there than in the swamp, so I don't really mind.

Protip: when you think you’ve exhausted a vein try to dig out another block in every direction. There’s usually more. We managed to pull over fifty silver from a single site when we figured this out last night.

Also the Eikthynyr ult / carrot soup is basically mandatory for getting up the mountains in a reasonable amount of time from all the jumping you need to do.

Another pro tip for players just starting: jump more. Standing around waiting for a friend to get their stuff together? Jump around. On a pretty safe run back to your base? Jump. Once you get your jumping leveled up you can almost clear rivers and can scale mountains like a mountain goat.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

xzzy posted:

Do kilns and smelters need to be indoors? I had a kiln poof once when it was outdoors and I've built them inside ever since, but now it's limiting the beauty of my base building and I want that stuff outdoors again.

So curious if the kiln disappearing was a weird bug or part of the plan.

I came back to a base one time to find a greydwarf punching away at one of our outdoor kilns which was entirely enclosed by tall walls with a gate. No clue how it actually got in there but you may have had an enemy punch it to death

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Xerophyte posted:

Today in viking moronity:

After finding a waystone for the elder I got the nasty news that he was literally half the world away. So I've been working my way through bronze, upgrading weapons, getting ready for The Expedition. I set out this morning, slowly taking my Karve through the ocean with the wind constantly in the Worst Direction. I discover interesting new biomes, spot nasty new critters, almost get eaten by a sea serpent but finally make it to the forest next to the 2nd boss and start building a modest house near the border to the meadow.

2 minutes into building I get murdered by 2 angry goblins, because the biome border wasn't to the meadow: it was to the plains. I haven't set up a portal or a bed, so I respawn back home.

My map now looks like this:

I have 6 bronze and 2 fine wood at home so I can't really make anything current. I can build a raft to sail back, which sounds horrible. I can hope there's a land connection and try to run back, which sounds even worse. I can of course also restart from the antler stage, build up to a bronze axe and 80 nails again, harvest some fine wood and build a new Karve.

Or I can do what I actually did, which was aggro a troll, have him smash about 6 birch trees to splinters, and use them to build my new replacement boat.

Now sailing naked through the storms to recover my lost equipment and ... not so much avenge myself as run away screaming from the goblins and rebuild a forward house somewhere safer. :rock:

Be sure to mark your corpse on the map now because if you die again it'll be much more difficult to find

Omi no Kami posted:

I've got level 3 iron gear and a finewood bow, but I'm really ready to be done with the swamp... is that enough to handle the bonemass, or do I really want to be making a point to max out my current zone gear before challenging each boss?

Boss spoilers: If you take piercing weapons to bonemass you're gonna have a bad time. You want clubs, maces, stuff like that

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 16, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Xerophyte posted:

Oh, I died like 3 times recruiting trolls to lumberjack fine wood for me while naked. I have a marker for where I parked my now lost boat and my corpse is 5 meters from it so I'm not worried about that part.

Another thing that I'm actually unsure of that someone else may be able to answer: Do your death drops also get deleted from the server after a few in-game days?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Bardeh posted:

There are some insanely good builds on the subreddit. Meanwhile, my brother and I are more focused on progression and every base we make is a basic rear end shack just big enough for beds and comfort items, with crafting stations placed haphazardly outside. It's a testament to the game's design that both of these playstyles are really well catered for.

Keep in mind that building nice stuff like rugs and banners will raise the comfort level of your base which grants more time to your ‘rested’ buff

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

A friend of mine on our server has his priorities straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMeE5XhR2Bs

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 17, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

To people wondering about cart logistics: it’s usually less effort and time to just build a small outpost near your mine and smelt / craft everything you need there. Once you have portals this becomes even easier.

Also mark us down as a server that still hasn’t found the merchant. There’s sometimes ten of us all exploring in different directions and we still haven’t stumbled on him.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

If you want to use those bars for upgrading, you gotta bring them to a high level forge somehow.

Yeah we just build the upgraded forge on-site. It's more cost and time upfront but it's way more efficient once you have everything up and running

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Once you have mining operations going portals should also be within your reach. It really comes down to your situation on the ground with what resources are provided to you though. With us we had access to plenty of surtling cores so setting up a network of portals was pretty straight forward

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Right you'll still need to do at least one run by foot. Any time one of us is scouting out a position to build a new outpost we'll bring the materials needed for a portal and some advanced upgrades.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

xzzy posted:

Our first server, we kind of wandered around the spawn point until we found water and built next to it thinking it would be useful in the future when we made boats. Turns out it was just a pond in a much larger island. :geno:

So now I'm debating whether to pull up stakes and move the main base or just live with a 2-3 minute run every time we want to use a boat.

PORTALS, PEOPLE! PORTALS!!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KingKapalone posted:

We're working through the swamp right now and need to find more of it. What's everyone's go to excursion prep/packing list at this stage?

Going to hop in the boat with my full bronze set, fine wood bow, mace/buckler, wood/fire/flint arrows, sausage/carrot soup/carrots, poison resist and healing mead. Should also build a portal and bring mats for another. That's pretty much my whole inventory...

Leave the building materials / extra food in the boat storage but yeah- your inventory for these ventures are to set up an outpost to enable resource gathering, not for resource gathering itself. So having a loaded inventory is fine

Also don't build your outpost in the swamp itself. Find the nearest biome outside of it, preferably meadow obviously, and build it there.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Moltke posted:

Just got this game because it's exploding and many of my friends are playing. Tried it out and was pretty quickly bored by the mechanics. The construction system is as terrible as Ark's, and I can't stand endlessly farming materials (stone, wood, food) just to be able to do anything at all. It seems like that I spend 90% of my time searching for stone or cutting down trees.

The reading I did about the more interesting aspects of the game (boss fights and exploration) were what interested me, so my question to folks who have put time into this game - will the things that I do not enjoy go away as I progress, or should I expect those to be major parts of the game? Put differently, does the game break away from being different Minecraft with a bad UI at any point, or am I just supposed to enjoy the zen of collecting things and building an autism temple?

I think it's safe to say that most if not all of the fans of this game were hooked on it from the beginning. If you haven't been pulled in yet I very much doubt you will in the future

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

We just found the 'style' button in the forge. Feel like a big idiot for having a basic rear end default shield :mad:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Games > Valheim - You can't eat more Sausages

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

My reaction exactly. Check the crafting menu at the forge for shields

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

How far have some of you traveled to find him? We've expanded out quite a bit and I'm surprised that we still haven't found him. I'm making it my new goal to go out searching for him. Will running through each dark woods area down the middle be enough to make him show up on the map?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

Mine wasn't far north-east of spawn, just one quick boat trip away. Showed up almost immediately when I started exploring in that direction.

He always seems to spawn in Black Forests, so I figure he usually won't be that far out.

ClassH posted:

He was decently far for us, not on the main island at all. Didn't find him till after we started looking for swamp biomes to find crypts.

I'm starting to get pretty frustrated because we've cleared multiple islands now and we still haven't found him. Is he easy to miss? The game shows you an alert and marks him on the map, right?

We're all sitting on massive piles of gold and gems with nothing to do with it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

explosivo posted:

Hey so uh I was boating around and had to turn around because I started going down what I thought was a river but closed up, and as I was backing up I looked over on the shore and saw the Grim Reaper? It was raining and I hadn't seen it before so needless to say it was extremely eerie. I kept looking to see if it was going to disappear but as I sailed away it stood there completely still the entire time. :psyduck:

Yup we’ve spotted it too. If you walk towards him he disappears

Now that I think of it I haven’t seen him in a while. Dunno what that was all about

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ocean spoilers: Holy poo poo I guess that wasn't an island it WAS A loving LEVIATHAN!? :gonk:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

I think I was pretty lucky with where my trader was. You can basically see on the map where I noticed the tag and turned left.

Also, I almost want to kill Moder again for her trophy, but she's such a pain to summon solo. Decisions, decisions...

This is exactly what I needed, thanks. I strafed three islands last night and still haven't found him. Guess I'm heading to the southeast corner tonight :sigh:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Woden posted:

Can I just skip the swamp?

I've got enough iron for tier 3 iron armour but I still don't know where the boss is and am getting kind of tired of swamps.

Took some frost potions to the mountains and found 2 mountain boss locations but no silver, sniped some plains monsters but can't refine the ores. Am I locked out of higher tier gear until I find the swamp boss?

Swamp boss spoilers: The item he drops is what allows you to find the silver underground in the mountains and other treasures. TECHNICALLY you could level the entire mountain biome looking for the silver but.... I wouldn't recommend it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

zeldadude posted:

Just built a raft for the first time and hopped on to test it out, didn't realize how the wind worked. Got like 50 feet out when I decided to turn back but of course the wind was against me. Sailed all throughout the cold, storming night in pitch black with the wind until I landed in a black forest near the 2nd boss. Still being the middle of the night I was immediately ambushed by two 2 star greydwarves, a brute, a shaman, and like 4 normal ones

I'm still in leather gear so I have no idea how I managed to survive but.... jesus christ :stare:

:black101:

zeldadude posted:

Think I'm gonna just turn on cheats and fly back to my main base because I didn't even put a portal down :smith:

:catstare:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

redreader posted:

I just did the second boss after getting a l3 fine bow from a friend. He took a lot of hits to kill but overall he was a chump. a 1-star troll attacked at the same time so we killed that first, it did more damage to us by far. The boss did so little I swapped to a spear and did melee for the last part. Are other bosses harder?

You notice the difficulty curve increasing from the first to second boss? It's going to continue to increase

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

Just mine the barnacles first, they have a tendency to prevent building for some reason.

:five:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Any advice on the best silver tier items to start aside from the bow? I'm thinking its time to finally replace my troll hide armor with the wolf stuff. The silver sword is really tempting too, though I have no current skill in swords.

Weirdly enough at the moment I have easier access to silver than I do iron to my main base so I might just skip iron until the silver runs out.

If your mountain biome has even a couple of silver veins you're going to have more than you know what to do with. You should be pulling 50-60 out of each one if you're mining it thoroughly

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Gort posted:

Turns out this game has healing and stamina potions I probably should've been using to beat the third boss.

This feels like one of those, "So trivial nobody mentioned it", things.

General advice: almost everything the game lets you build has a beneficial purpose of some sort and you usually don't find out what that is until *after* you build it. So any time you unlock a new recipe you should make it your priority to build it just to see what happens. In this case the fermenter / cauldron

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Khanstant posted:

I'm waiting for my buddy to progress, so I was just farming up stuff and hunting on the main island to build up resources. I loved finally figuring out how to nail Deer, for so long kept trying to sneak and chase and only kill when they get stuck on a rock or the water. The spear chuck is really nice once you learn it's range.

You know there's bows and arrows in this game, right?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Gort posted:

I meant "Minor stamina mead" but that tasty mead sounds worth checking out

I can’t say I’m a fan of tasty mead. It’s good for when you’re running around in a safe area collecting berries or mining or something but the hit to your health regen makes it too risky to use on a boss fight. Stick with the dedicated health & stamina meads for boss fights

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

CRAYON posted:

This is one of the coolest things I've seen done with the item mounts, via reddit:

i am stealing the poo poo out of this idea

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

esquilax posted:

TBH I think bronze is a lot easier to come by than iron when you take into account that the bronze recipes are cheaper - bronze helmet is 5 bronze but iron helmet is 20 iron. Iron requires you to find a new swamp with a crypt, or wishbone an annoyingly small amount of it. Copper and tin are everywhere.

I think all my early game problems with the copper & tin grind were because I chose to walk to a faraway node and schlep it back, instead of just making a boat, sailing along the coast of a forest, looking for convenient nodes to mine, and setting up a portal for repairs/resting.

god damnit people

BUILD. AN. OUTPOST.

build all the poo poo you need where you source the materials. the only time you'll need to be schlepping is when you start getting into items that mix different types of metals and even then- your outposts should be set up near multiple biomes. build what you need locally then teleport back

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I guess maybe it's not fair for me to push hard on the outpost thing because this was what prompted our iron operation:

However this is what we knew of when we first built the outpost:

BUILD. AN. OUTPOST.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 23, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jinnigan posted:

my server killed Bonemass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBzeQ2qpylY

the funniest part to me is epic viking soundtrack while a bunch of us putter about with hoes, flattening out the arena before the fight

This inspired me to queue up some Heilung in our discord server when we take on the next boss. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNu6FmaUIB0

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

If you just hold down ‘e’ while harvesting it will automatically pick up anything you put your cursor over

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

pik_d posted:

*removed map screenshot*

could you spoil this? some of us don’t know what’s at the poles. i didn’t want this spoiled for me, personally

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

hey guys let me just barge in and tell everyone that thing they want to find out for themselves

for gently caress's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

oh look a thread about a game that's all about adventure and exploration? let me just come in and tell everyone what happens at the end. you're welcome