Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

After the Draugr laid siege to my inland camp, I've decided to move my base of operations to this little islet in the middle of a large lake. Unfortunately the whole place is a little bit low so I just burned up 5 chests of stone to get this foundation set up. I might use the debug cheat here and skip the colossal amount of stone this would take to make fully level.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

are you using the raise ground foundation trick cohhcarnage posted

Not initially but I am now, that definitely makes it easier

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd really like more objects that are just big piles of one thing. A stack of metal bars made from an inventory stack of bars, a pile of coins, a charnal pit of all these trophies i don't know what to do with

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think I hit my first bug or weirdness. I'm sailing to Bonemass on the edge of the earth and his location is a swamp surrounded by Mistlands(scary) and plains(in my experience, instant death) and so I am trying to build my portal on this wee little island out off the coast but I can't get the portal or workbench to actually appear. Guessing that this is some kind of weird terrain or something and I don't have the tools to build on it, since it seems to also have a Barnacle resource that I haven't seen in any other biome. Am I missing something stupid here, is it a bug, or does this make sense later in the progression?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Just mine the barnacles first, they have a tendency to prevent building for some reason.

I didn't bring a pickaxe so I couldn't do this, I ended up just finding a little spot of Black Forest not far away on a different island and ferrying across. Will remember this for the future, but definitely wish that the game gave you a tooltip or something about barnacles blocking building.

Edit: Also thanks for the quick answer! :)

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 21, 2021

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd kill for a boat upgrade that put a little roof, stove, and bed on the longboat in exchange for taking out the passenger seating

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

I'm super convinced it's a bug at this point, we were doing a base relocation today and I was tearing down the old forge and workbench and specifically made a point of hitting them with the repair tool before dismantling. Sure enough, didn't get all my copper (and bronze for the upgrade pieces) back. You get the stuff back 99% of the time then just randomly the game is all "nah not today."

Of course we were out of copper so this triggered an emergency mining expedition.

I ran into a physics bug where I tore down a bench near a wall and I guess the items spawned partially into the wall, because the wood got launched into the stratosphere

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Warbird posted:

Second boss tips please tia. Solo just seems to be a war of attrition with flint arrows. Thinking about repurposing one of the abandoned stone towers into a siege/cheese platform.

Fire arrows are your friend

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Abisteen posted:

Isn't "a while" just 10 seconds? I tried making tasty mead and when the buff only lasted a few seconds I decided it wasn't worth making more at my current state of progression.

The one spot I found the 10 second tasty buff really handy was fighting Bonemass where you just need to wail on him then retreat and recover quickly and overcome the wet debuff too.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I wish there was an easy combat mode, I really suck at combat in the mountains especially

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mine carts on tracks would be fun and dangerous, and it would give a metal sink for not-current metals/alloys

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm convinced there is some interaction between comfort level and nearby spawns. My bases that are just walls and a workbench always get overrun by mobs but as soon as I hit about Comfort 4 I never see another mob outside of sieges.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

In Viking Valheim, Tree Chops YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I have a nearly perfect three-corners biome in my seed where Blackforest, Swap, and Plains meet. It's just a perpetual charnal house of Draugr, goblins, and Blackdwarfs

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm at the point of world exploration where I need to think up a good design for a portal hub so that the portals don't get messy with multiple transfers to get anywhere.

I've gone with a tree-branch portal system where at the center of the map near my main base I have 8 portals that go in a cardinal direction to a waystation hub that goes to the exact locations. Otherwise I had so many portals it would have been impossible.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Is it me or does it feel not worth upgrading your items at all, at least in the context of the material costs? Considering that a maxed out item is only equivalent to a base level of the next tier, it feels like you're better off toughing it out.

IMO armor upgrades should also slowly get rid of the movement penalty and give significantly more durability per a level to make it worth it. The movement penalty doesn't make much sense in the current state of the game anyway because there are not alternative sets to use so there isn't any kind of choice being presented, just you go slower once you hit iron.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

causticBeet posted:

Any small hints at when you unlock more of the stone based building materials? My group just killed the second boss, but have not progressed to what seems to be the next logical biome yet. Having tons of fun building, but if stone buildings are coming soon I’ll chill for a bit so I can do that.

You're getting close. Keep a lookout for new crafting table recipes being unlocked as you explore the next biome.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

You can ramp a cart off a mountain side with 26 degree wood beams if you have a long enough slope. You just have to disconnect the cart after you get it going and jump out of the way. It'll blow apart on landing but the cargo is preserved and you can recover the materials. It's a fairly good way to get silver down.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Just in case anyone is looking for a cool map, the seed HelloWorld is fantastic in terms of interesting islands and a lot of cool places to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

acumen posted:

I installed this, loaded in, and my entire house blew up :stare:

Jesus Christ. I hope you had insurance and you and your loved ones are ok. :stare: