Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Generation Internet posted:

I just took my first big voyage in a Karve to set up a forward base near the second boss. It probably took longer than just walking there, but I found a dope stone tower on a tiny peninsula that's super close to the altar and I generally just enjoy mapping the coast.

Sidenote - more cartography tools are definitely on my wishlist. I want all the symbols to plop down.

Wait you guys are getting The Elder on the same landmass??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

isaboo posted:

this is a great game but I am bad at it

killed first boss
built raft
sailed to a Black Forest island
saw a purple glowy mist on the shore so gently caress yeah I went see what it was all about because why would I not
got stuck on rocks
got killed by a shaman something and a bunch of his friends

Yeah I died to them a few times before I realized that you literally can just walk/run away from them if there are too many. They don't seem to have the speed/pathing to keep up.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Broken Cog posted:

smh if you're not melting iron with the breakfast you forgot on the stove

I haven't had this happen yet, so you're telling me I can turn Deer into fuel??

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

This game sounds interesting and some of friends play it. I have one question though.

Can you make Grover-longhaus?

Your first house will always be a horrifying mess that you cant wait to get out of, yes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

boo_radley posted:

Now my newest marker is... at the bottom of the ocean somewhere?

Haven't seen it myself but people have said they float on the water.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

isaboo posted:

I spend more time running around looking for boars for leather scraps than anything

got any tips for farming leather or finding boars?

is there a way to tell in what direction a particular biome can be found? The only black forest areas I've come across are on a couple of islands where I get killed pretty quickly... then I have to build another loving raft to get back there

There are sites that you can upload your world to that show you the whole map, I just did this and found out my trader is about as far away as possible (most easterly and westerly islands) This link should work to show you my world so you can see how much you'll see before you do your own:

https://valheim.hedren.dev/W2io6IB6OaEOkJZZd9AQ6IHqE75xIefyzlCsaQK_NRs

Click on the squares to see what each thing is.

Edit: After looking closer I see more trader squares in better locations

Edit2: Compare that to my in game full map (created a second character to reveal the map for this, not gonna have it full revealed when playing)

https://i.imgur.com/4S5ZHB7.jpg

pik_d fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 25, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

PIZZA.BAT posted:

could you spoil this? some of us don’t know what’s at the poles. i didn’t want this spoiled for me, personally

Done, and my bad. I'd seen people talk about it already so didn't realize it wasn't ok.

Edit: If it's any consolation the poles are apparently unfinished so no one really knows whats gonna be there

pik_d fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 25, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Lozareth posted:

Man, I wish this worked with my 57MB db file (error 413: Entity too large) but otoh I'm kind of glad it doesn't. I already ruined some of the fun by using the exploremap cheat on the local copy of my dedicated server's world not knowing the explored map would carry over to the server. I know now I should've made a new character. I do want to find my trader though :argh:

What's the seed for your map? Someone else can make it and it should be the same (or close, if it's still got some randomness?)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I made a nice base around some copper deposits only to find it was near spawn points for wolves and drakes, which 1hko me. I moved my house away from anything too dangerous and the game put a brand new troll spawn point near my new house. :mad:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Lucas Archer posted:

My brother gifted me this game this morning. Any before I play type tips?

Don't be afraid to build more houses, use the map to mark poo poo (click icon on right, double click on map).

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I gotta say, this style of chimney worked out WAY better than I expected. Found a stone tower in better shape than most, decided to make a home in it since it was close to some copper deposits. Wasn't 100% sure how to make a chimney so made one that just goes straight out the side. The smoke doesn't build up at all inside, and heats up the whole house despite being on the 2nd floor.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Khanstant posted:

I like that, seems way easier to pop out than framing out a chimney box.

Did something change today? When are you able to get core wood? Our main base is at the edge of a Black Forest, and I've been mowing down trees like the ferngully machine. It wasn't until tonight we finally snagged some core wood, just chopping some random pine trees with our flint axes. Trying to figure out if we made some accidental progress or just somehow after all the chopping never once hit up a pine? I know there are some pine logs outside my base, in my rats nest of logs I keep around as a pathfinding curse.

Yeah it's pretty easy to make, especially for an existing structure.

I don't know if it's a 100% chance to get core wood from Pine, so maybe you just got unlucky? You'll get it much slower than regular wood still, even if you focus only on Pine trees.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ambaire posted:

Greydwarfs are pretty bad.

Can we really trust the nameless author (it's Odin) of those giant stone tablets though?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

SKULL.GIF posted:

Has anyone noticed if you do more damage while hitting from certain angles? It's most noticeable with the woodaxe and the pickaxe, sometimes you'll do half damage (no, it's not because of hitting multiple things) if you're chopping/picking from a bad angle.

Knife backstab damage also seems to intermittently trigger if the enemy is focused on another player and you hit the enemy in exactly their spine or something like that. Otherwise I've only gotten backstabs to work when the target isn't aware of me.

When mining you do more damage from above and to the side than when you mine up from underneath the deposit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

boofhead posted:

It wasn't until saw the screenshot that I realised the floor isn't even touching the pillar. I'm going to fix it up and expand it into a little treehouse with a roof and a chest for more arrows. I wonder if I could fit a bed in there somehow..

The bridge not going all the way across is to mess with the AI pathing, right?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Well I got a karv set up to go across the world since my Elder was apparently spawned over there. I get over there and for some reason my Elder summoning area is inside a swamp surrounded by plains. Also a sea monster destroyed my boat and then me. Grabbed my corpse run gear and had back-up materials for another Karv, then went back on my way. Stayed a bit closer to the coastline once I got nearby, in the hopes of avoiding a sea-monster spawning. Got almost to my corpse and then all of a sudden I was caught on a sandbar and two skeletons in armor killed me pretty much immediately. Is my first grave with my poo poo gone? Cause if so I think I'm gonna create a new world cause sailing half across the entire diameter of the world is really not fun just to get to the next boss.

The marker is gone but if you get to the actual location the grave/stuff will still be there. This is why if you die it's good to place a custom marker down.

Edit: also the boss fights can be done in multiple places, you're only shown the closest one. There's ways to see the other locations in game but I don't remember right now how.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 1, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

toasterwarrior posted:

I'd honestly like an excuse to use swords but piercing damage being key against trolls and blunt for undead is just enough weapon and skill slots for me to cover.

Is there a chart anywhere for what kind of damage is effective/ineffective/(super effective???) against what pokemon typescreatures?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Is there a key/trick or something that lets you just build a floor piece directly in front of you that snaps to the one you're on? Attempting to build poo poo like docks where you're building straight out if there isn't a support there is frustrating as gently caress.

Put a temporary floor piece that overlaps your current one by one quarter, then put the one you want in front of you using that, then destroy the temporary one, repeat until done.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Doh004 posted:

Got back to my base, portal was the same name I had been using. I wonder if I left another portal open somewhere and didn't dismantle it...

See if you can go through it, obviously. Also capitalization matters, doesn't it? Did you check that?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bioshuffle posted:

Does this mean my friends can just spawn on my island when they buy the game and benefit from the work I put in prior to their arrival? I was going to wait until they get the game to start together, but it's just too tempting.

That makes sense. Thanks! Time to get do some Viking things.

bus hustler posted:

Reminder if your friends join late they need to pick up EVERYTHING including intermediate ingredients to unlock all the recipes themselves. The game is definitely designed for you to pick up and learn as you go.

Yeah, I joined after a few other people I know, and they gave me some bronze age hand-me-downs when I had been wearing leather. I realized doing this I'd be skipping a ton of stuff and so I went back to playing solo. That means I ended up with a bunch of stuff I couldn't fix until I worked my own way up through the bronze age.

It's definitely more rewarding to do it yourself, and that also keeps you leveled appropriately with your gear/enemies.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Are Queen's Jam and Carrot Soup the best foods I can make from just Meadows/Black Forest biomes? I have to travel to other islands to get to the Swamp but I wanna make sure I've done everything I can here. I have some minor meads as well.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Lakitu7 posted:

I think so? The second you step into the swamp you can start making sausage and it's a huge upgrade.

Nordick posted:

Yeah pretty much. The jam is equal to cooked meat, just has a different health/stamina ratio. So meat + jam + carrot soup is pretty much the top combo of meadows/forest tier food.

And that one fish I grabbed out of mid-air because a storm surge wave left it there :hmmyes:

I feel like Cooked Meat should be able to be added to other foods to make higher tier food, I have so much extra Cooked Meat because I'm winning the War on Deer.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

mastershakeman posted:

Do you need it for anything beyond the bow ?

Looks like you can make green-flame torches and green banners, so definitely don't need it for anything else.

Edit: There's a wiki that's pretty good at listing what stuff is used for: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Guck

pik_d fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 14, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jeoh posted:

WHAT

i've just been creating stairs to mine it with a pickaxe, how come i didn't think of just shooting it

He means using it to make a bow, not using the bow to get it. From the wiki I linked:

quote:

Gucksacks are not damaged by ranged attacks and must be destroyed with a melee weapon.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

LLSix posted:

Found an amazing seed starting a new world with some friends.

7hKFqxfuG3

Spawn starts you out right next to a beautiful ocean-front stretch of meadows to build your first base on. Necks party every night practically on your front lawn. Had so many deer wander up that we ended up with multiple surplus stacks of meat even with three players. Boars are also frequent guests.

Has access to all biomes without a boat.

You've also got a Maypole near the mountain to your west

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A find-only object that gives +1 comfort so if you're lucky enough to find one you can get a slightly higher comfort level than if your seed doesn't have a maypole in it (like mine).

Edit: Here is a real life one that is much larger than the one in game

pik_d fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 18, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The devs have released a little news blurb: https://steamcommunity.com/games/892970/announcements/detail/3047221359533847025

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Retrowave Joe posted:

I think that teaser is a new fine wood ornament.

I was hoping it might be stone but the stonework in this game is not that clean and I don't see any reason to change that

MarcusSA posted:

6 million copies is pretty legit for them.

This next to this

quote:

Our programmer

Is absolutely hilarious.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Otacon posted:

I have no idea what Valve's cut is for listing games on Steam, but $20 a pop at 6,000,000 copies sold is $120mil....

:negative:

Under $10m its 30%, between $10m and $50m its 25% and above $50m its 20%, according to the internet.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jusupov posted:

Their publisher made goat simulator

So they're taking a goatload?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I came across some rocks in a oval/boat shape in some meadows, is there anything to this or is it just a random neat thing?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

rydiafan posted:

It was a magical moment when skeeters became a mild annoyance.

When does this happen

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ambaire posted:

Rumor on the discord has it that the dev console (or at least devcommands part) will be removed entirely in a coming update.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

How long until it gets modded back in somehow

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

It does, there's videos of it collapsing. Some of them have to pickaxe out the lowest part of the deposit (even if its not touching the ground) to make it happen.

Maybe build some stairs and give it a go?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

joepinetree posted:

What the spawn area for the 5th boss looked like after we killed it

Is the 5th boss a fuckin earth bender?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jarmak posted:

So I was went out into the block forest at night in a lightning storm to entertain my son fighting greydwarves and nearly poo poo myself because when I turned around the lightning flashed and the was a black cloaked figure I've never seen before standing watching me from up on the hill. Tried to run toward it but then it was gone

That was Odin and this spoiler needs to be longer so it's not obvious.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ThomasPaine posted:

Is there a height limit for buildings? I'm trying to build a big stone tower and hit a point where the next layer just crumbles despite being solidly supported.

There's a height limit for everything. If you have iron that can be used to make things taller. This video goes into it in depth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFrcZCJbtlM

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

causticBeet posted:

I’m glad the dev that doesn’t like portals didn’t get his way because this game would be unplayable without them

Yeah, given that was on the cards the no-ore compromise seems like a good way to go, and also explains why that one dev tweeted out that allowing ore to be teleported is never gonna happen.

It reminds me of Elite Dangerous mentality where every little thing is a grind and if you don't like it then you can gently caress off.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Sanctum posted:

The continent I spawned on is really big. So big it spans half the world from north to south. Also I found moder only a stones throw from spawn with 2 eggs right by him. Seed is vlv9RqFePm

Your seed is vIv9RqFePm, capital i, not lowercase L.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bioshuffle posted:

Yes, you do. Even if it doesn't get swept away, it can get destroyed by mobs. The safest solution is the destroy it and store the mats in a nearby chest.

Just lol if you don't have a chest labeled "Boat ingredients" at all of your bases.