Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

First page building tips; how to not have your stuff collapse all the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFrcZCJbtlM

Also a cross-post:

Bardeh posted:

Jumped on for a bit to progress a little before my brother can get on again later. We just unlocked the smelter etc to make bronze stuff, and it's a real pain, especially solo, to go out and get all the copper. Until now, playing solo felt fine, but it's very time consuming to craft and upgrade all the bronze stuff you'll need.
Put all the stuff in at dusk. Go to bed. Good Morning! all your stuff is instantly smelted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Scarecow posted:

Portals not letting you move ore is cool and good and i hope they never change that. it keeps the world big and gives meaning to having other bases, not to mention there are some crops that you have to grow in certain biomes.

being able to just TP everything home makes a big part of the game, exploring and engaging with the world disappear and it would be a grave mistake to change that

I mean if they're going to insist on having portals be unable to transport ore or smelted metal, then they ought to be consistent about it and not allow you through if you're wearing metal armour or carrying metal weapons too.

...or really, do what the good games do and make these things options people can toggle to their liking, letting everyone enjoy the game the way they want without it affecting anyone else who may want more, or less, QoL stuff in their gameplay experience. The fact that this is completely able to be circumvented by using the parallel universe trick means it should just be able to be done without all the faffing between servers. I personally wouldn't do it myself until after beating the endgame content, because I agree with the opinion quoted, but when I've reached the stage where all I want to do is build huge structures everywhere I'm gonna want the option available. And if other people want to teleport ore from the get-go, how the gently caress is that any of my business?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Read every red-runed stone you come across. Some of them put it on your minimap.

Edit: or it might be the one at the spawn point? I'm not sure since I'm not the one that sorted the boss fights out on our server.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

LESS loving DEER NOISES!

"URGH URGH URGH"
-gently caress off.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

How will the PC mods work when crossplay is enabled I wonder? Like for example if I've got a mod that lets my torches burn forever, will the Xbox players on the server see them burning forever too? Will I be able to give burn-forever torches to them or build them in their houses, even if they can't have the mod installed on their version of the client? How does this stuff typically work in other cross-play games?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

The Blast Furnace Fix that lets you put copper/tin/iron/silver into it is client side though. Much more is happening client side than I'd expect.

So if I have that mod installed, and I build a blast furnace, my non-modded Xbox friends can walk up to it and use it (as long as, I presume, I'm logged in at the time), and their ore will be processed on my pc according to how the blast furnace mod works? Do I have it right?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Floppychop posted:

That's a big part of why the server has such a small footprint.

No. But they could give you the ore and you could put it in.

Oh god that'll get tedious pretty quick. I'll have to start charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

With the Xbox release I'm looking to set up a dedicated server since I'll be playing crossplay with pc steam, pc gamepass, and new Xbox gamepass players, but I've never set one up before. I don't want to be forking out too much but I don't mind paying a bit above whatever is considered a cheap rate to prioritise convenience and ease of setup, along with customer service should I run into problems or need help. What are some good go-to recommendations for a decent provider?

Are there any potential issues I should know about going in? I know mods likely won't work and I read about Xbox users having to check that crossplay is enabled on a system level but is there anything else people have run into that caused problems?