Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I have a Dell Optiplex 990 with Windows 10 Enterprise installed.

Every now and then, but frequently enough to be annoying, my usb keyboard stops working when coming out of screen-turned-off mode. I've disabled sleep so the PC isn't going to sleep, it's just turning off the monitor.

Normally I can hit a key, the screen turns back on and I can type in my password to get back to my desktop. But sometimes, I hit a key and there is no response. So I jiggle the mouse which wakes the screen back up and gets me to the lock screen password prompt, but my keyboard doesn't respond for maybe twenty seconds at which point everything I've typed to that point comes out in a rush.

It's like the keyboard takes extra time to wake up and stores all the keypresses in a buffer. I've looked at power settings and "turn off this device to save power is greyed out and unchecked" for the keyboard driver. I've tried multiple keyboards, both wired and wireless, and the behavior remains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
First thing I'd do in my shop is update bios, and update acpi/chipset drivers. I'd use a utility called "snappy driver installer origin" (the origin part is important) and update everything but graphics. Update graphics without using snappy driver.

2nd thing would be to uninstall chipset drivers then reinstall them. 3rd would be to check winver.exe make sure you're up to date on windows.

All 3 of those contribute to power management.

Tried diff kb just for shits?

Edit I've thought about it more and this seems like a deep sleep (S4) vs. normal sleep (S3) thing so maybe disable hibernation see if that helps?

Also.... The win 10 login screen is just slow sometimes. 😞 Especially with slow hard drives or old SSDs

down1nit fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 26, 2021